Extreme Like

Egyptian Cotton

 

Lay & Vivienne, or Viv is what he eventually came to call her, were seated in a circle with four other people in the weekly study group. The group had all known each other throughout elementary school. Growing up in a closer than average community had its benefits. Some had known each other longer, some were closer than others, but they were all connected in one way or another.

Lay's relationship with Viv started off....strange to say the least. He was smitten from first sight. It was in the 2nd grade. Lay was playing hide & go seek with some boys in his class. Chen was it. Being the ever-so-smart kid he was Lay knew of the perfect hiding place that no one else did.

Or so he thought.

 

~~~~~

It was his own little Cove.

That's what he liked to call it. It was a dim space under the slides. Sometimes while kids ran around and laughed, Lay would just lie on his back looking up through the patterned holes from above. On any particularly sunny day, the sun rays would shine through creating a cocoon of warmth and light. If Lay wasn't careful, he would totally forget about the cool world around him and drift off into dreamland.

On this particular Friday, Lay was using it as his way to win. As Chen was counting to 50, Lay looked to make sure everyone was busy finding their own hiding place as he scurried off to his Cove.

Crawling in backwards, to make sure that troll....er Chen didn't cheat and peek, Lay didn't notice the body napping behind him; until his foot hit it. The small dark clothed body curled up in a ball, resting peacefully from the breezy fall day. Whoever it was had thick curly hair fanned out all over the place.

It looked soft, like cotton or clouds. It was shiny and dark, like a lake reflecting light from the moon at night.

At first Lay opened his mouth to yelp, but stopped before it could leave his frightened mouth. With a tilted head and curious eyes, Lay looked for a few moments before leaning in. Who was this person that was in HIS Cove? His place? A little annoyed that someone dared to come in his place, Lay quietly reached out to wake whoever it was, though he didn't want to scare the person. Lay's hand retreated when the body made a sweet but barely audible sigh. He didn't know what it was, but that sigh was the sweetest and softest thing he had ever heard. If honey could make a sound, it would have been that sigh. Instead of waking the sleeping beauty, and with a small smile, Lay decided to cozy up to whoever it was and join them in dreamland.

 

~~~~~~~~~

 

Vivienne couldn't believe how she had gotten in this situation. One moment she was peacefully "resting her eyes" in this warm little place she discovered, the next she was fighting the tears b her big eyes as she and some boy were getting scolded by the vice principal about responsibility.

Turns out Lay & Vivienne had fallen completely asleep in the little Cove and didn't hear the calls from the teacher when recess was over. It took a worrying 15-20 minutes of searching when a tiny girl with sandy colored hair spotted Lay's foot that was sticking out from under the shadow. They both hurried from under the space when they heard the piercing calls from the two worried teachers that had been looking for them, reach their ears.

Lay lost his game.

Viv lost her emotions.

Lay was confused and worried.

Vivienne was embarrassed and upset.

 

She didn't mean to fall asleep, but she had felt extremely warm and cozy. Vivienne was a good student. She did her work, was obedient, and never got in trouble. Never in her several years of existing did she think that she would get into trouble for something like THIS.

The vice principal decided it was best to let them both off with a warning since both had spotless records, but not without informing each of their parents. They were told to sit in the chairs right outside of vice principal's office as he called both sets of parents to pick the kids up. It was best to just start fresh on Monday.

Viv was surprisingly NOT worried about the call to her parents. Since she was such a good girl, all she would do is tell the truth when she got home. Her parents were open-minded and caring. Her parents trusted her. She glanced at the boy that was referred to as "Lay". His face told a different story.

Lay was worried. Did he mean to fall asleep in his Cove? No. Did he feel a little guilty about letting them both sleep?......Yes. He felt guilty about getting caught and getting them both (more her) into trouble, but didn't feel guilty about sleeping with the girl who's hair was of the softest cotton-like texture. (As a matter of fact, he was QUITE proud of himself; he'd save his smirk for latter at home.) She was cute when he finally saw her face for the first time. As pink tinted her cheeks, he could tell she was trying not to cry; it was just a mistake. Lay made a note to apologize when they were alone another time. There was no need to make her more embarrassed than she already was.

As they were awkwardly sitting outside the office doors Lay caught Vivienne looking at him. Blushing, she immediately turning her head toward a window with a small smile. As much as she wanted to be mad at this boy for getting them into trouble, she just wasn't. And as much as she didn't want to admit it (to herself) he was kinda cute....for a boy...you know. She shyly turned her head back as she heard him speak for the first time.

"Hey, I'm sorr..." Just as Lay was about to apologize, hurried heels could be heard almost flying across the floor. "Yixing!" his mother exclaimed. Both kids turned their heads to see his mother rushing over to Lay with wide eyes. Lay inwardly groaned. He knew his mother was overly dramatic at times, but goodness, you'd think he was almost trampled by 2nd graders at lunch time. Lay could barely inhale when his mother scooped him in her arms and carried him off, of course being sure to inform the vice principal first. Lay sighed as he helplessly looked back towards the girl with the cotton-like hair, hoping somehow she read the apology evident in his eyes.

She gave him a shy small. He gave her a bigger smile back. They may not be in the same class, but they'll see each other again.

Lay wasn't sure about love (he was only in the 2nd grade for goodness sake!) but he did fall in extreme 'like' with the girl they called *sigh* Vivienne.