I Love You

Operation: Spy on Minho and Taemin

7 hours later, Jonghyun and Key found themselves watching the two maknaes play a ring toss game. It was nearly nine at night and they were surprised the 2min couple still had enough stamina to wonder around the carnival. Key, who was staring at the two idols like a hawk, averted his attention to the dino-looking boy beside him when he felt someone pull on his arm.

“Key, can we go home now?” Jonghyun whined.

Key shook his head. “No! I still have to watch Taemin!”

“But I’m tired!”

“I said no!”

Jonghyun  pouted. “How come you’re always paying attention to Taemin but never me?”

“Because Minnie isn’t annoying.”

Jonghyun opened his mouth but stopped midway when Key suddenly grabbed his hand. “They’re going somewhere else,” the rapper announced before pulling the vocalist after him. “If they think they can lose me, they’re wrong.”

Jonghyun sighed. I really wonder why I agreed to this.

He looked up and immediately after seeing Key’s face, a dreamy smile slipped onto his features. Oh yeah – it was to spend more time with Key.

Yep, it’s true: Jonghyun liked Key.

All of those Jongkey moments onstage and off were real. It all started a few months after they debuted. The two had gotten along perfectly, though they were almost complete opposites, but that just proved the theory ‘opposites attract’.

The 22-year-old singer was jerked back to reality and realized him and Key had stopped.

“Jjong, are you even listening to me?” his dongsaeng asked.

“Huh? What?”

“I said Minho’s dragging my baby to go on the Ferris Wheel!” Jonghyun followed Key’s finger to see the two idols lining up at the waiting line for the ride.

“Okay, what do you want me to do about it?” he asked. “It’s not like we can get on the same capsule as them.”

“No duh! But we can always watch them with my binoculars!”

“You brought binoculars with you?”

Key looked at Jonghyun as if he just asked the world’s stupidest question. “Who doesn’t?”

“Normal people.”

Jonghyun jumped back just in time as Key’s hand whipped around. “Hey, watch where you’re pointing that thing!” he exclaimed in a teasing manner. Key just responded by rolling his eyes.

“Come on – we can’t lose them now!”

With that, the two joined the line.

The Ferris Wheel was about the height of a twenty-story building and lit up the night with the kind of pastel rainbow colors Key liked. It reminded him of clouds and cotton candy. He began daydreaming but after three minutes, he felt a tug on his hand.

“Come on yeobo!” his dinosaur-looking friend chimed as he climbed into the pod. Key shortly followed in and once he sat down, the ride conductor closed the pod door behind them. There was a slight rumble before the capsule began moving up at a steady pace.

They both sat there quietly as Key whipped out his binoculars and tried to catch a sight of his precious little maknae. However, after a few minutes of failure, he decided to give up.

It was then when Jonghyun broke the silence.

“Hey, Key…,” he suddenly spoke up.

Said boy looked up to see Jonghyun staring at the floor.

“Yeah?”

“Why do you always care about Taemin?”

The sudden question surprised the rapper, but he decided to joke around a bit. “’Cause I like him,” he replied back. “Why? Are you jealous?”

“Yeah.”

This shocked Key. “Wait, you are?”

Jonghyun looked up to lock eyes with his friend. “I am,” he confessed. “You’re always worrying about him – it’s like you don’t care about me at all. I like you a lot. All of those Jongkey moments, to me, were real.”

The 20 year old just sat there and stared. He was at a loss for words – his best friend, the one who always joked around and did fan service with him, just admitted his true feelings. But it was too hard to believe. Key let out a fake laughter. “Jongie, cut it out,” he said.

 “I’m not joking.”

 “No, seriously Jjong, cut out the act. Are there cameras filming this or something?”

Jonghyun somewhat sighed. “Will you believe me if I give you proof?”

“Sure, whatever, I’ll believe you.”

The next thing Key knew, a warm pair of lips caught his. The rapper froze. The kiss was gentle and wasn’t as forceful as he thought it would be, and if Jonghyun hadn’t pulled away ten seconds later, Key was sure he would’ve melted into a puddle on the floor.

“W-W-What was that for?” the younger man stammered, face completely red.

“You said you wanted proof.”

“But I didn’t think you were serious!”

“Key, I don’t joke about these things.”

Key looked away, beet red. “S-So you were telling the truth when you said you liked me?”

“Mhm.”

Key scratched his cheek lightly. “Good, because I, um, I like you too.”

A smile slowly made its way onto Jonghyun’s features. “Oh really now?” he said, his trademark grin returning. “Since when?”

“Not telling.”

“Not telling?” Jonghyun half-exclaimed. “What do you mean you’re not telling?”

“It means I’m not telling.”

“Fine then! You’re gonna regret it!”

“What do you mean I’m gonna re—“ He was stopped midway when Jonghyun suddenly sprinted up from his seat and started tickling the younger man. “Ahahahahahaha stop it!”

“Not until you tell me how long you’ve liked me!”

“F-Fine! I’ve…. Liked you…. For… two years!” Key replied between laughs. Satisfied with the answer, the main vocalist stopped tickling his dongsaeng and sat in the empty seat beside him. When Key finally sat back up, he smacked his hyung’s arm. “I hate it when you do that!”

Jonghyun let a goofy grin slide onto his face. “You’ve liked me for two years? Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Because… well, because it’s weird!”

“But two years went wasted!”

“Then why didn’t you tell me your feelings?”

“I was scared Onkey was real.”

Key snorted. “Onew has his chicken. And Luna.”

There was another silence that hung in the air until Key decided to break it. “So…,” he started. “Are we a couple now?”

“Nope!” Jonghyun exclaimed, earning a weird look from Key.

“What? We’re not?”

The dino grinned. “Not yet. Kim Kibum, would you like be my boyfriend?”

Key smiled and leaned in until their foreheads touched. “I’d love to.” And with that their lips touched.

[ 2 Hours Later ]

“Good night,” Jonghyun said to his new boyfriend. The two had just arrived home and were standing in the hall right in front of their rooms.

“Night Jjong!” he received back and they gave each other good-night kisses before entering their separate rooms. When Jonghyun closed the door and the lights, he was surprised to find Minho sitting on his bed.

“Whoa!” he exclaimed, but then clamped a hand over his mouth. “What’re you doing here?”

“Did the plan work?” Minho asked, ignoring the question.

“Heck yeah it worked! Jongkey is now officially a couple!”

Minho chuckled. “I can’t believe you planned this all out. How’d you know this was gonna happen?”

“’Cause you and Onew-hyung keep telling me to make a move. Why? Did you not like your little date with Taemin?”

Minho got up and headed towards the door. When he was halfway out the room, he turned back and gave his hyung a smile. “I never said I did.” And he disappeared into the hallway, leaving the dino there wondering what the heck really did happen to the 2min couple on their date.

He just brushed it off a shrugged. I guess we’ll find out later.

About ten minutes later, Jonghyun was finally tucked comfortably in his bed. He couldn’t help but smile after replaying the whole day. Good night Key, he thought as he closed his eyes. I love you.

All of a sudden, Onew burst into the room.

"Hey Jonghyun! Guess what! I got you bacon-scented shampoo!"

You can always count on Onew to ruin the moment.


And there you have it readers! The end of ‘Operation: Spy on Minho and Taemin’! I hope you enjoyed the story [: Please comment and tell me what you think!