Cats

Cats

                Kyuhyun entered his shared bedroom with Sungmin and found the latter hunched over his laptop, seemingly pouting at whatever was on the screen. He walked silently to the bed and lay on his stomach beside Sungmin, looking up at him as if to say, “Hey, I’m here. Pay attention to me!” But Sungmin didn’t mind him and continued to stare at his screen. Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and decided to take a look at what it was this boy was moping about. He shifted his eyes to the screen and saw that his roommate was gazing upon a photo of Junhyung from B2ST.

                “Sungmin, what the heck?” Kyuhyun couldn’t help but say to him.

                “I know,” Sungmin sighed, “I miss him too.”

                “What?

                “My cat, Kyuhyun.” Sungmin finally turned his head to look at him. “I was talking about my cat.”

                Kyuhyun looked again at the photo and only then realized that Junhyung was cuddling a grey tabby cat. He inwardly released a sigh of relief and he smiled. “You gave up your cat for the sake of the members, Min. It was a considerate thing to do.”

                “I hate that you all got allergic to him.” Sungmin pouted once more and stubbornly crossed his arms over his chest. “You guys .”

                “Well, excuse us for not being immune to that furball spreading his allergens everywhere!”

                Sungmin gasped and Kyuhyun immediately regretted what he just said. The smaller one’s shoulders slumped further and he just put down the laptop screen and dropped down to the bed. “That’s mean, Kyu,” he said softly, turning away.

                “I know, I’m sorry,” Kyuhyun said, completely meaning it. He sat up and ruffled Sungmin’s soft black hair. “Thanks for sacrificing your cat for all of us, Sungmin. Now all we need to do is find a way to get Heechul-hyung’s cats away for the rest of the members to stop sniffling all the time.” He chuckled, and under the moonlight that penetrated their curtains, he saw the corner of Sungmin’s lips pull up into a smile. “Goodnight, Min.”

 

                Perfectly made-up and perfectly bored, Sungmin roamed around backstage. With one more hour before Super Junior’s cue, he couldn’t stand just sitting in the dressing room and watching the other members have their hair done or just sleep the time away. No one noticed him slip out of their dressing room. Or at least he didn’t think anyone noticed. If anyone needed him, they could just call.

                He aimlessly shuffled through the hallways, already aware of each and every passage and corner—since he’d roamed the place before. The hallways were deathly silent, and he grunted, shoving his hands into his pockets. What was the fun of roaming around if all he’d find were the walls and the endless floor? Almost hopeless and bored enough to return to the dressing room, Sungmin turned that one corner he knew would eventually lead him back to where he started. He had his eyes closed; he was getting tired of seeing the plain walls and the boring floor.

                “Hey,” someone suddenly spoke up.

                Sungmin’s eyes snapped open and he found Junhyung crouching on the floor a few feet before him, rubbing an orange tabby’s head with one finger. The cat seemed to enjoy the affection and had its eyes closed.

                “Kitty-cat!” he whispered excitedly and rushed to crouch right beside the rapper. “Where’d you find him?”

                “Just here,” Junhyung answered. “Don’t you think it’s strange that this cute little thing would be roaming this place just like you and me?” He chuckled.

                Sungmin grinned and also rubbed one finger against the tabby’s soft fur. He was delighted to be in contact with a—nice—cat after so long without his own. (Heechul’s cats were like the owner: diva and quite snobby, and they would only play with him.) The cat opened its eyes and looked at Sungmin but didn’t mind the extra attention. It closed its eyes again.

                That would have made an odd sight to see. B2ST’s charming rapper and Super Junior’s aegyo effect crouching together at a random corridor, petting a very loving and lovable cat they just so happened to find roaming around. Sungmin explained to Junhyung that he had to give his baby for adoption because it gave the other members allergies. Junhyung expressed his condolences and likewise explained that he just couldn’t keep one with him at their dorm.

                “Life’s hard, eh,” Sungmin said with a chuckle, and Junhyung just nodded.

                “Minnie-ah!”

                “Juuuun!”

                The two cat-lovers looked at the different ends of the hallway. At one end was Kyuhyun and at the other was Yoseob, both looking worn out and hysterical. Junhyung and Sungmin stood up, the cat in the former’s arms. The two of them smirked at each other and awaited whatever scolding their respective members would scream at them.

                “Yong Junhyung, we’re up in fifteen minutes and you’re here with a cat?” Yoseob yelped.

                “Sungmin, why’d you leave the dressing room without telling any of us! Leeteuk-hyung is worried sick! Couldn’t you at least have told me where you were going?”

                “Yes,” Junhyung answered Yoseob.

                “You were asleep as coordi-noona was fixing your make-up,” Sungmin explained innocently.

                Both with half-frustrated-half-worried looks on their faces, Kyuhyun and Yoseob looked at each other then at the cat purring peacefully to the tune of their hysterics. Junhyung and Sungmin burst into laughter and petted the cat again. “You could have called me,” the two said simultaneously, stirring even more laughter.

                “Oh, let me introduce you to Sunny,” Junhyung said, referring to the cat.

                “Is it yours?” Kyuhyun asked.

                “No, it’s not,” Yoseob answered for him, still irritated. “And where’d you find this one anyway?”

                “He was roaming. Just like us,” Sungmin said with a bright smile.

                “Umm, excuse me?” another person spoke up, and all four of them turned to find a man in glasses, holding one of those portable pet cages. “That’s my boss’s cat. Thank you so much for finding him!” The man bowed, and he whistled to call the tabby.

                Sunny, after rubbing its head against Junhyung’s neck and giving a friendly on Sungmin’s hand, leapt from Junhyung’s arms and went back into his cage. The man thanked them and bowed again before leaving their presence.

                “Sunny, Jun?” Yoseob cried out. “You named the cat Sunny? What, because of Sunny noona?” There was hurt in his eyes, and he crossed his arms over his chest.

                “Nope.” Junhyung tilted his head and looked at the ceiling thoughtfully. “I named it after the sunshine of my life.” He chuckled. “You’ve got to admit, the cat was adorable!”

                Sungmin nodded excitedly.

                Yoseob grunted and turned away from his bandmate.

                “Well, I’ve got to get going,” Junhyung said to Kyuhyun and Sungmin. “Good luck to your performance, too!” He turned his heel and began walking. Looking back, he added, “Come on, sunshine, we’ve got a crowd to perform for.”

                Yoseob turned back to him, his face bright again. He ran to the rapper and fell into step with him, chattering on and on as they walked away.

                Kyuhyun looked to Sungmin. “How come you’ve never named a cat after me?” He frowned.

                Sungmin looked at him for a second and just laughed. “Because you’re like no other.” He started to head the other direction back to the dressing room. “And I can never enjoy a cat’s company as I do yours. Lastly, because your name doesn’t fit a cat, though you do quite have a cat’s personality.”

                “What does that mean?” Kyuhyun chased after him, mentally preparing a speech to prove he wasn’t cat-like at all.