The Bed-time Story

In the Dark

"Auntie Hyunnie, Auntie Hyunnie!" Annalise and Yunho called out.

"Auntie Hyunnie" turned to the sound of their angelic voices. She was a beautiful young woman, who is twenty-one. Although young in age, she has experienced many tragedies in her life. Yet, she still enjoys playing with her friends' children, for she has none of her own.

"Yes, my two lovely highnesses?" the young woman replied with a light curtsy.

The two little ones giggled with delight. They loved to play with their aunt Seohyun.

"Hyunnie noona, can you tell us a bed-time story?" asked five year-old Yunho. He looked at her with his big eyes and made a puppy dog face.

"Yeah! A fairy tale, auntie!" Annalise joined in.

Seohyun rubbed her arms awkwardly. "Well, my sweets, auntie doesn't really know any fairy tales. Should I just read you one of your books?"

Annalise and Yunho shook their heads vigorously. "We've already read all of them too much. Make your own story up, auntie!"

"But auntie doesn't know any...." Seohyun drifted off.

Annalise pouted. "Pwease? It doesn't have to be good. I just need a story to fall asleep, right, Yunnie?"

Yunho nodded at his sister's words. "Noona, it doesn't have to have a 'happily ever after.' I like any kinds of stories."

Unable to resist their cute puppy dog face, Seohyun sighed and said,"Okay, okay. I'll tell you a story, but it's not necessarily going to have a happy ending, all right?"

"Yay!" the two kids cheered.

When Seohyun tucked them in their beds, she started her story. "Long ago, there lived a girl and a boy who were deeply in love. Their names were Joohyun and Yonghwa. Both of them loved music and enjoyed to compose beautiful pieces of music. The only problem? Joohyun was in debt, and knew that the loan sharks would be coming to get her soon."

"What does 'debt' mean?" Yunho asked with his cute voice.

Seohyun smiled at the little boy and answered,"Well, Yunnie, it means that Joohyun owed money to some people because she borrowed some money from them, and didn't pay them back."

Yunho nodded and added,"Don't forget about the sharks! The big, ugly sharks that'll come to get the pretty lady soon."

Seohyun laughed and asked,"How do you know she's pretty?"

He shrugged and said,"Well, Joohyun's name sounds like Noona's, and Noona is pretty."

"Thanks, buddy. Now on with the story," Seohyun said. "Although she was in debt, Joohyun didn't tell her boyfriend about it, because she didn't want to burden him. Besides, he didn't have a lot of money either. 'I'll deal with it later,' she thought, and continued her life without any worries. That was a mistake.

The loan sharks started to call her and threaten her that they would take her house and her possesions if she didn't pay them back quickly. Afraid, she tried to get as much money as she could, as quickly as she could. She took on three jobs: one as a waitress, one as a worker at Forever 21 and one as a delivery girl at a Chinese restaurant. Joohyun kept all three of her jobs a secret from her boyfriend, Yonghwa. Because her jobs took almost all of her spare time, Joohyun couldn't meet with Yonghwa very often, and if they did, it would be for only a couple of minutes."

"But, wouldn't Yonghwa Oppa get suspicious?" asked Annalise.

"I was just getting to that, Anna," Seohyun told Annalise.

Annalise pouted. "Auntie, I told you not to call me that!"

Seohyun laughed. "It's cute, though, Annalise. Would you rather have me call you Sumin?"

Realizing that she lost, Seohyun's niece sighed and bowed her head. "No. Just continue with your story, auntie."

Seohyun nodded and continued from where she left off. "As I was saying, because of her jobs, Joohyun could only meet with Yonghwa for a couple minutes. Sensing that something was wrong, he followed her around one day, to see where she was going. He thought that maybe, she was cheating on him with another man. Of course, that wasn't the case at all. When he saw that she was working three jobs, he decided to interrogate her."

Yunho raised his hand timidly. "What's 'interrogate?'"

"It means 'to question'. No stop asking so much questions," Annalise snapped at him.

"Annalise, be nice to Yunho," Seohyun scolded. She then turned to Yunho and patted his head. "Annalise's right, though. It does mean 'to question.' Feel free to ask me anything, okay, kiddo?"

Yunho nodded and cuddled with his big, golden-brown teddy bear. He then made a gesture toward Annalise, who had her arms crossed, pouting. Seohyun nodded and walked over to Annalise's bed.

"Come on, princess. Why are you mad?" Seohyun asked.

Instead of answering, Annalise turned her body, so that she wouldn't be able to face Seohyun. Seohyun sighed and turned Annalise to face her.

Just like her mother - an ice princess, Seohyun thought.

"Are you made because I told you to be nice?"

Annalise nodded slighty.

"I see, but Annalise, I'm only telling you so that more people will like you," explained Seohyun. "You see, people like to be friends with nice people. Do you think you'll be popular if you act like this?"

Tears swelled up in the little girl's eyes. "I don't want to be mean! I want to have a lot of friends, auntie."

Seohyun lifted the girl to her lap and her hair. "I know, sweetheart, but you can't be nice if you aren't nice to Yunho. He's younger than you, so he doesn't have as much knowledge as you. He knows less words."

"Hey!" exclaimed Yunho, pouting. "I know as much words as Annalise does!"

Annalise smirked and said,"Want a bet? Name five six lettered words."

Yunho bit his lip, trying to think of them. Seohyun smiled at their actions. She remembered when she was this little, always arguing about who was smarter than who with her friends.

"Ha! You can't! I win, I win, I win!" shouted Annalise happily.

Yunho, on the other hand, trembled and a tear escaped from his eyes. Then another. One after another, crystal tears fell out from the little boy's eyes. Annalise, who had stopped celebrating by them, stopped bragging and stood frozen, surprised.

"Go give him a hug and tell him that you're sorry," whispered Seohyun into Annalise's right ear.

Annalise nodded and walked over to Yunho's bed. "Yunnie, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that. You know as much words as me, and maybe even more. Forgive me, please?"

Yunho stopped crying and looked up to see Annalise's sincere face. Slowly, he wiped away his tears with his pajama sleaves. Yunho got out of his bed and hugged Annalise. "I forgive you, Anna."

Annalise nodded and climbed into Yunho's bed with him and tucked the both of them in. When Seohyun was sure they were nice and comfty, she returned to her story.

"Yonghwa texted her that he needed to meet her as soon as possible. She, of course, would do anything for her beloved boyfriend, so she asked her boss for a little break, and went to meet him at Starbucks. She was there early, so she ordered Yonghwa and her's favorite drinks. Caramel macchiato for Yonghwa, and just orange juice for herself, because she knew that coffee was bad for you.

Once Yonghwa came in, he sat down across from her and took a sip of his coffee and smiled.

'Just like always, Joohyun,' he said. 'You know exactly what I want. Thanks.'

Joohyun laughed and replied,'I've known you for what? 15 years now? Of course I know everything about you!' Like that, they started their conversation, but soon, Yonghwa leads to what he's been meaning to ask.

'Hyun, why are you working so hard these days?' Yonghwa questioned his girlfriend.

Joohyun was so surprised that she couldn't say anything. In the end, she managed to stutter,'I-I d-don't know w-what your t-talking about, Y-Yong.'

'I know about you working three jobs, Joohyun. Don't you dare lie to me.'

Startled at his tone of voice, Joohyun dropped her gaze toward the floor.

'Tell me what's wrong, Hyun," Yonghwa said in a softer voice. 'I promise I'll help you in any way I can.'

Joohyun shook her head and told herself to keep her tears in her eyes. 'I can't talk abou it right now, Yong. Please don't ask.'

Although Yonghwa knew she was on the verge of breaking down, he continued to press her. 'Come on, Hyun. It can't be that bad.'

Still, Joohyun shook her head.

Exasperated, Yonghwa grabbed Joohyun's hand and led her to his car.

'Let me go, Yong. I have to get back to work,' Joohyun pleaded.

Without a reply, Yonghwa shoved her into the front seat and slammed the door. Then he himself got in the driver's seat and started to drive. They were silent the entire way, until Joohyun realized where they were going.

'Why are we going to my house?' she asked.

When Yonghwa parked the car in the garage, he got out and walked toward Joohyun's door. He opened it, and made her come out to the garage. Yonghwa the lights to the garage, then just sat on the floor to the garage and motioned her to do so too.

Joohyun did as he wanted.

For a while, they stayed silent. Then Yonghwa started to talk. 'Hyun, I know you don't want to talk to me about this problem you have, but as you said, we've known each other for about 15 years. I know when you're acting strange. I'm begging you, please tell me. If you want to break up with me, that's-'"

"Break up?!" Annalise shrieked. "No! That can't happen! They sound so cute together!"

Yunho, having laying next to her covered his ears and flinched. "Um, Annalise? Maybe a little quieter, next time?"

Annalise ignored him and sat up. "Hyunnie auntie, please don't tell me they broke up."

Seohyun look at Jessica and Onew's little girl and smiled. "You'll know soon, if you let me finished the story."

Annalise nodded and layed down on Yunho's bed again. "Okay, you can keep going now."

Seohyun nodded and started her story once again. "'What? Of course not, Yong! I promise, it's not that. I couldn't bear to break up with you... I-I love you.' Joohyun said the last part in a whisper. This was the first time she ever told anyone that besides her parents, who passed away years ago.

'What did you say?' Yonghwa asked, startled. 'Did you just tell me you love me?'

Joohyun nodded meekly, thinking that maybe, Yonghwa didn't feel the same way."

"Idiot," Seohyun heard Annalise mutter.

Seohyun laughed softly and continued. "'I love you too, Joohyun. With all of my heart.' Joohyun heard Yonghwa say.

Surprised, she looked up to see his face. 'Really?'

Yonghwa chuckled and replied,'Yes, Hyun, I do. With all my heart, now if you love me, please, please, please, tell me what's bugging you.'

Joohyun froze up again and stared at the floor of her garage. No one said anything; Yonghwa was waiting for Joohyun to tell him what was wrong, and Joohyun was debating whether to tell Yonghwa about her being in debt or not. In the end, Joohyun gave in.

'I'm in debt, and the loan sharks have been calling me, and threatening me that they'll come for me and everything I have if I don't pay them back. That's why I'm working three jobs at once,' Joohyun told Yonghwa quietly.

Yonghwa was surprised. The organized, self-disciplined Seo Joohyun in debt? Yonghwa got over it when he saw Joohyun crying. He leaned over to her and gave her a tight bear hug.

'Don't cry, Hyun. I'm here for you, and I'm not leaving.' Yonghwa told her.

That only made her cry more. 'No, leave me, Yong. You shouldn't suffer because of me. They're going to come for me soon. Maybe today, maybe tomorrow, and when that happens, I don't want you with me. I don't want you to get hurt because of me. I would hate myself if you got hurt 'cause of me. Please, leave.'

Yonghwa hugged her even tighter. 'No way I'm doing that, Joohyun. You're my first and last love. Do you think I'd do that to you?'

Joohyun tried to relase herself from his tight embrace. 'Please leave, Yong. They might come today. I don't want you here when that happens. What if they come-'

She was cut off by harsh bangings against her door. Joohyun and Yonghwa both stiffened.

'Hey! Come out of there! We know you're in there, Seo Joohyun! We just saw you go in! Let us in while we're being nice!" shouted a harsh voice.

'They're here,' Joohyun whispered.

Immediately, Yonghwa grabbed her hand and ran toward a hidden door that the two had discovered in the past. He opened it as quickly as he could, and shoved Joohyun in there, then followed her inside. It was a small room with no lights and no furniture. The door to the room blended in with the white wall, and could only be opened if you pressed on a certain part of the door, or from the inside.

Joohyun and Yonghwa sat in there, waiting for the loan sharks to go away, or come in. When they heard them call out to get a hammer to bang open the door, Joohyun started to cry silently.

When Yonghwa saw the tears falling off of Joohyun's face, he immediately wiped them off and embraced once again. They didn't say anything, but they both felt better, even though they knew that the sharks were still out there, they felt better in each other's arms. Not safe, but better. Nothing could make them safe.

'Hey, don't cry, Hyun,' Yonghwa whispered in her ear. 'It's all right, I'm here for you.'

'I don't deserve you,' Joohyun replid sadly. Go while you have the chance. Please.'

Yonghwa shook his head, frustrated. 'Don't you get it, Joohyun? I. Love. You. That means I'm willing to sacrifice myself for you, so I'm not leaving.'

'You know I love you too, but I don't want you to get hurt because of me. If-if anything happened to you, I'd probably kill myself,' Joohyun explained."

"Oh, dear," said Yunho. "This is turning out like some Korean drama that Mommy watches."

Annalise giggled and nodded in agreement. "I know, right? My mommy loves to watch sappy Korean dramas, too. I like this story though. It's really cool."

Seohyun smiled at the two kids she was babysitting. "Okay, guys. I know you guys are sleepy, so I'll try to sum it up."

"I'm not-" Yunho yawned "sleepy."

"Same here," Annalise agreed.

"All righty. So back to the story, okay?" Seohyun announced.

The two angels nodded their small heads. "Okay!"

"'Hyun, don't say that. I'll do anything to help you, okay? I love you so, so, much. I'll never leave you,' Yonghwa told Joohyun sincerely.

Despite everything, Joohyun smiled. 'If you don't leave me, I promise I won't leave you either.'

For just a moment or two, the darkness didn't seem so bad at all. They were just two 18 and 19 year-olds that were hiding from the world to just be with each other. Two people that loved each other and would do anything and everything for each other.

'Check upstairs,' they heard a gruff voice command.

They then heard footsteps jogging up the stairs to where her bedroom was. Still in Yonghwa's embrace, Joohyun started to tremble. Feeling her trembles, Yonghwa whispered,'I'm going out. I'll negociate with him, Hyun.'

Joohyun's eyes widened, and tightly grasped Yonghwa's arms. 'No, you can't. W-what if something happens to you, Yonghwa? I would probably kill myself.'

Yonghwa gently placed a soft, sweet kiss on Joohyun's lips and whipered,'If anything happens, go on with your life, okay? I'll be your guardian angel from above. I don't want you to mourn over me all your life, all right, my lovely goddess?'

Sobbing, Joohyun said,'How do you expect me to do that? I love you, Jung Yonghwa. Doesn't that count for anything?'

Yonghwa kissed the top of her head and stood up. 'Of course it does. That's why I'm doing this. Now promise me, Seo Joohyun. Promise me that you won't do anything to yourself. Promise me you'll move on, if anything happens.'

Sobbing, Joohyun nodded slightly. 'Only if something happens.'

Yonghwa nodded and gently kissed Joohyun's lips one last time. 'I'll try to work things out, princess. I promise.'

And with that, he opened the door, and slipped out.

~.~.~.~.~.~ 

"For a while, nothing happened. Joohyun could hear Yonghwa talking to the man with the harsh voice. Yonghwa was trying to persuade him that she wasn't there. That he would pay her debts for her. Everything was going okay, until she heard the man yell and punch Yonghwa. Frightened, Joohyun opened the door slightly and looked out. She saw Yonghwa on the ground, his arms against his stomach. Immediately, Joohyun closed the door again.

"She started to cry. Then she heard it: a gunshot. And audible gasp escaped from . She slid against her door and sobbed. She heard the men walk out of her house. Right when she knew they left, she opened the door and walked out.

"She found most of her belongings not there, but she didn't care about that. Her focus was on the red figure laying on the kitchen floor. She gasped and ran over to him. Her tears toppled from her eyes, one after another, but she didn't care. Joohyun only cared about the figure in front of her.

'Yong,' she whispered sobbing.

The man tilted his face to see her. His face was deadly pale and he was sweating a lot. He shot Joohyun a small smile. 'Hi, Hyun. Are-are you okay?'

Joohyun punched his arms lightly and cried,'Am I okay? You got shot, you idiot! Why would you do that for me? Why, why why?'

Yonghwa gently grabbed Joohyun's hand and held it. 'Hey, I'm fine. I just want to spend my last moments with you. I can't even feel the bullet.'

Joohyun shook her head sadly. 'You idiot. You can't feel a bullet that pierced your stomach?'

Yonghwa chuckled. 'Not at all. You promised me, Hyun, that you would move on and not do anything to yourself. I'm holding you to that promise. I promise that'll be watching over you in heaven, waiting for you, and always loving you.'

Hearing this, Joohyun wrapped her arms around the broken figure and buried her face in the crook of his neck. 'Don't say that. You're going to live. Let me call 911. You'll be fine.'

Joohyun tried to take out her phone, but Yonghwa stopped her. 'Don't. It's too late. I just want you to know that I love you with all of my heart and soul.' He reached into his jacket's inner pocket and took out a small, black box and opened it up. Inside was a beautiful sea-green ring with a big, shiny diamond in the middle. 'Marry me right now, Seo Joohyun?'

Joohyun gasped and looked right into her boyfriend's eyes and nodded. 'Yes, I will, Jung Yonghwa. A thousand times yes. Anywhere and everywhere, I would say yes.'

Yonghwa smiled and slipped the beautiful ring onto Joohyun's hand. She did the same to Yonghwa. The two looked at each other and smiled.

'You may now kiss the bride,' Yonghwa said softly.

Both of them leaned forword, their lips touching. They felt an electric shock go through them. They felt a connection to each other that they've never felt before.

Then, Joohyun felt his lips go cold. She released him and with tears falling down her face, she kissed Yonghwa's head and whispered,'I'll see you in heaven, Yong. When that day comes, I want to hear you call me,'Mrs. Jung Joohyun.'"

With that, she wiped her tears and called the police. She watched as they took away his body to get him ready for his funeral. Before Yonghwa disappeared from her sight, she whispered,'I love you Jung Yonghwa. I'm happy to be your wife.'

She may have imagined it, but before Yonghwa completely went away from her house, she thought she heard his voice saying, 'I love you, Mrs. Jung Joohyun.'

With a small smile on her face, Joohyun took her luggage and took Yonghwa's car to her friend's house. She was going to complete his final requests. She was going to move on. Of course she wouldn't move on to another man, but neither would she mourn for him everyday of her life. She was going to be happy. The end."

When Seohyun finished her story, she saw that Annalise and Yunho were already sound asleep. Smiling, you walked over to them and kissed both of their heads. She was about to walk out when-

"Auntie Hyunnie, Yonghwa never left Joohyun," she heard Annalise say.

Seohyun turned around and asked,"Why do you say that?"

With her eyes still closed, Annalise replied,"He also promised her that he would be her guardian angel, so that means he's always besides her, guarding her, and watching over her. Oh, and he'll always live inside Joohyun's heart, so Yonghwa is never completely gone."

Smiling, Seohyun replied,"You're right, honey. He never completely left her. Not in the dark, not ever."

~.~.~.~.~.~

Seohyun walked to the kitchen to get a glass of water. She then walked over to a framed picture she had on her desk. Seohyun smiled at his familiar features and beautiful smile. She his face and whispered,"I love you, Jung Yonghwa, and I always will. Annalise is right. You're never completely gone."

Smiling, you put the picture down and lifted her left hand to see the same sea-green ring with a shiny diamond from the story on her fourth finger. Engraved on it was a quote from a song he wrote for her, called "Love Light."

"You're my love light."

A breeze hair. Seohyun looked around to see if she had accidentally left any windows open, but none were opened. She smiled and said out loud,"Jung Yonghwa, thanks for being here with me. I love you."

"I love you too, Seohyun," a soft, musical voice replied back.