Getting Acquainted

High School Capers

 

  Patience, was not exactly something he had mastered over years of living in the outskirts, Choi Minki reminded himself as he tapped the heel of his shiny new shoes against the grey, stone pavement, in front of his family's new townhouse. He checked the newly acquired Fossils watch on his wrist, gave his burgundy-red tie one last pull and coughed a few times, clearing his throat as to ensure that he wouldn't squeak later when he handed out his file to the Principal of his new high school.

 

Private High School, as he might add, by the full name of MMBTY Boys' High School of Seoul City, in which the initials remained a mystery to him. His father had pressed the students' handbook into his hands before rushing off to work early in the morning with his mother, without leaving him even a speck of detail, instruction or even encouragement. Typical, of a corporate research analyst, who depended on self-independence for a monthly paycheck, and of course, footing out paychecks for his personal assistant – his wife.

 

Ren was snapped out of his daydreaming as the smell of carbon filled his nostrils and he coughed slightly, before realizing that a yellow bus had pulled up by the pavement, and the doors swung open with one swift creak, followed by a more prolonged hiss. The driver looked none too friendly, so Ren dismissed the idea of complaining about his tardiness and hopped eagerly into the van and out of the glaring sunshine. The bus was half-packed with students, all wearing the same black uniform he was wearing, which consisted of a white long-sleeved shirt buttoned up at the sleeves under a black coloured blazer. The pants were the usual black cotton comfort-wear-trousers and a shiny badge winked at Ren from the pockets of their blazers. Some of them wore red ties, like Ren, whilst others wore blue or olive green ones; and he couldn't help but wonder if their tie colors determined their ages.

 

The brown-haired newbie was given the attention he had expected, as the other students began to notice the quiet character sitting alone at the back, staring out of the window with a far-away expression on his face. Then, the staring began, as they registered his doll-like features – his naturally puckered-up lips, his enormous cat-like eyes, and straight, pointy nose. They scrutinized him rather rudely, and Ren was about to meet their stares menacingly when the bus pulled to a sudden halt in front of a football field. The students scampered to their feet hurriedly, chattering as they hauled their coats and schoolbags over their shoulders and descended the bus with springy steps. Ren stole a bit of time to intake the surroundings of his new studying environment.

 

An enormous white-washed structure loomed over the field, its old design concealed by modern glass windows and doors. A multimedia corridor about a kilometre long led towards the main entrance of the main building of the school, where above the glass doors were neat bold letters hammered onto the white walls – MMBTY Boys' High School. Ren pulled out the namecard which he had acquired from his father and imitated the other students, swiping it over the check-in centre at the corridor entrance. The steel doors clinked open as soon as he did so and he followed the human traffic towards the building and into the staffroom, where he was directed by a decent-looking office staff to his new homeroom teacher.

 

Ren fidgeted, even though he had told himself not to, as the tall character flipped through his identification and records, occassionally pushing up a pair of horn-rimmed glasses up his tall bridge to prevent it from sliding off his nose. Then, he snapped Ren's file shut.

 

Ren jumped.

 

"Well, everything seems to be in order," the dude said, and Ren stole a peek at his black nametag.

 

Xiah sansaeng-nim. Okay, then.

 

"Basically class starts at eight, so you're early," Xiah checked the clock on his desk, "I'll have your class president give you a tour around the school before you enter class."

 

"Thank you, sir, but Jaejoong sansaeng-nim already showed me around the school when I enrolled last week," Ren explained politely and Xiah clucked.

 

"Make things simpler, anyway, ah, there he is," he said and a tall figure appeared besire Ren, "Tao, this is Choi Minki, and he's the new student I told you about."

 

Ren turned and glanced quickly at Tao. He had dark circles around his eyes and sharp features, but the combination made him look like some kind of hit-man.

 

Or an underfed panda.

 

"Okay," Tao said and gestured Ren to follow him. As they made their way to class, Tao filled him in on some of the class rules.

 

"So, basically, we're in Class ED-5-EC; there are five classes in each from in which there are 3 Basic Education classes – ED-1, ED-2 and ED-3; one ED plus Additional Science class – ED-4-AS and one Basic Education plus Extra Co-Curricular class, which is ours. So now you know what your class EC stands for."

 

"Uh-huh," Ren nodded, as a sign that he was listening. Tao seemed pleased.

 

"Right, so our class is on Block 98, hence, it's the blue building way at the back, right next to the cafeteria and stadium. We have our own activity field behind the building which is usually off-limits to other basic education students and no one's allowed into the indoor swimming pool building unless Xiah gives us permission, and yeah," Tao nodded as Ren looked at him questioningly, "we call him Xiah. He goes nuts if you call him sansaeng-nim, says it makes him feel old and... what the hell is this?"

 

They had reached class ED-5-EC. The translucent glass doors were shut tight, and Tao pulled out a comb of silver-coloured keys from his blazer pocket, jiggling one of them in the keyhole. Ren looked on with consternation, then he realized that there were giggling coming from within the classroom.

 

"Alright, quit messing around, you immature little..." Tao began, but his sentence was briefly intercepted as the door flew open and a Tupperware of water magically appeared at the doorway. Water flew out from within the opening and drenched the panda, beginning from his face, and Ren felt someone yank him by the wrist into the classroom before the door clinked shut again.

 

"YAAAAAAAAAGGHHH!"

 

Ren blinked, dazed as he stared around at the strangers' faces around him. A dude with curly, blonde hair was re-filling his container with water as another dark-haired character was concentrating the solution with a packet of what looked suspisciously like pink glitter powder. A weird dude with a tiara on his flat head was peeping out one of the windows, giggling madly whilst another guy was snoring away in his seat by the window. There were about nine or eight dudes in the classroom, all absorbed in their own business.

 

"JOKE'S OVER YOU LITTLE PUNKHEADS, WAIT TILL I... YAAAAGGHHH!," another shrill yell rang across the air as he was quickly drenched once more by the perky curly-haired blonde. He seemed to find his little trick ingenious, and when he slammed the door shut again, there was a smug grin on his face.

 

"Do you think he's shimmering yet?" the dark-haired accomplice asked the blonde.

 

"Physically or mentally?"

 

"Both."

 

"He's shimmering, all right." the weird dude with the tiara grinned.

 

"Why are you guys doing this again?" a puffy-eyed character asked, looking up in the middle of his doodling on the board.

 

"Simple, he lacked sparkles," the blonde clapped his hands and looked around, "anyone care to contribute their Tupperware of water in this sacred mission?"

 

"I think I'd prefer living with my head attached to my neck, thanks," puffy-eyes replied and went back to his drawing.

 

Ren stared around with wide-eyes, with some sort of frightened fascination. Then, they remembered his existance.

 

"Hey," the dark-haired grinned and waved from his window, "you're the new guy right? I'm Sehun."

 

"Uh, hi?"

 

"YAAGGHHHHH! OPEN THE FREAKIN' DOOR!"

 

"Don't worry about him," the blondie nodded towards the door, "he's all bark, no bite. I'm Chun Hong, you can call me Zelo. Hyuk, interested?"

 

"Nope, I'm thirsty, thank you very much."

 

"May as well introduce you to the others since Tao's outside."

 

"You mean, you guys locked him out." A puffy-cheeked guy perked up from his seat.

 

"We don't have a lot of students in this class, since no one cares about extra curriculum, to be honest."

 

"In other words, the smart dudes go for Additional Science."

 

"Smart dudes do not consist of 97.7 percent of the student population in this school, Gongchan. Get a 350 calculator, at least."

 

"I have one," puffy-eyes pouted.

 

"We're smart too, but..." puffy-cheeks perked up again, addressing Ren, but he seemed at loss for words and went back to his books, dejected.

 

"Dude with the crown is Sungjong, our Class Vice-Prez; and yeah, as you can see, he's born weird, so I wouldn't be too bothered about him," the blonde ignored puffy-cheeks.

 

"I'm right here, you know," Sungjong glared.

 

"YAH! I said, open this door!"

 

"Sehun's our Secretary, reason why? I have no idea, since his handwriting like crap."

 

"Shut up, Chun Hong."

 

"Okay, this is getting old, OPEN UP!"

 

"Picasso's name is Gongchan, chicks call him 'Turechan' 'cause they think he looks like a turtle."

 

The chalk screeched on the board; a sign that puffy-eyes did not approve.

 

"I'll take over, thanks," Sungjong snapped and clapped Ren on the back, "Sungmin over there," he indicated the sleeping figure, "is our personal Hidden Card in sports, since he's quick..."

 

"You hear that sound? It's the sound of me not laughing, now quit freaking around in there and..."

 

"...and the shortest," Sehun chimed in grimly, "the rest are just wasters, you don't need to know that much about them."

 

"Wow, Sehun, you really ."

 

"Thank you."

 

"YAH! Open the door, obey me! OBEY ME!"

 

"I'm Changjo," puffy-cheeks perked up, waving his hands slightly, "what's your name?"

 

"Choi Minki, you can call me Ren."

 

"Wow, even your name sounds feminine," Hyuk squinted at Ren from his seat, "are you wearing make-up?"

 

"Just lip-protector."

 

"I'm gonna KILL you little termites..."

 

"Oh, I'm Sang Hyuk, by the way."

 

"Hi." Ren smiled, and he noticed a quiet dude sitting right at the back with his nose in a magazine. He waved slightly at the figure, but he did not look up.

 

"Oh, that's Sungjae. He spaces out a lot, so don't worry if he starts snoring when his eyes are open."

 

"That's IT!" Tao gave one last scream and the earth trembled with the sound of him stomping off like a herd of cattle.

 

"Dude, I think Tao's gone off to get his staff."

 

"Victory loves preparation, get me Sungjae's bottle."

 

"Roger."

 

Ren quietly picked up his bag as Zelo and Sehun went back to their operation and went over to the back of the class, picking a seat right in front of Sungjae. Sungjae really seemed to be asleep with his eyes open, and Ren plopped into his seat.

 

"Uh, hi."

 

Sungjae stared blankly ahead.

 

"I'm Ren, if you can hear me."

 

Sungjae stared on.

 

Ren sighed and opened his bag. Then, he heard footsteps approach their classroom again.

 

"Ready, on three. One, two..."

 

Sehun whipped open the door and the concoction went flying across the air again. There came a huge splash, a yelp and a sneeze, followed by horrified gasps as Sehun released the handle of the door in terror.

 

Jaejoong sansaeng-nim stood there, sparkling like some kind of bemused tooth fairy, as wet as Tao as he stared daggers at both Zelo and Sehun.

 

"Now, it's personal," Ren heard someone whisper behind him and he gulped.

 

Maybe he should've stayed in a public school after all.

 


Yeah, chapter 1. Enjoy, if you like it. Haha *coughs

Info - 

MMBTY - I'm not really sure about the initials yet. But I had taken 'em cuz they struck me as 'My Maknae Better Than Yours.' So, haha.

And yeah, the DBSK Members as teachers, since they're getting really suit-ed up these days. Especially JYJ. Seriously, I'm not kidding, they wear suits A LOT nowadays.

Have fun! Happy Sunday and thanks for the upvotes! :)))