Climb the Green Tree

I'll Teach You the Colors of the Rainbow

Day 2 - Green

Jonghyun had trouble finding anything green. He certainly couldn't pluck out a tree and bring it to daycare and give it to Kibum. He couldn't show him a piece of grass either. Forget vegetables. Little Jonghyun was in deep concentration as he made his way to daycare. He held his mother's hand as he made a face, his "in-deep-thought" face. His mother, Yoona, noticed.

"Jonghyunnie-ah, what's wrong?" Yoona asked, as she made an amused face at her son.

"Umma, what's green?" Jonghyun asked.

"Well, you have the trees, grass, vegetables... there're lots of things that are green, Jonghyun," Yoona smiled, thinking she was answering Jonghyun's question. When in fact all she did was tell him something he didn't want to hear. Jonghyun pouted. "Why are you asking?" Yoona questioned.

"Nothing." Jonghyun's features softened as they reached the daycare. Right away, he spotted Kibum playing in the swings again. Yuri let go of her son's small little hand and smiled as he ran off to his new friend. She waved to the daycare teacher, and left. 


"Jjongie-hyung!" Kibum gave a huge grin as Jonghyun approached him, happy to see his friend.

"Hiii, Kibummie," Jonghyun smiled back. "Uhhmm..." He looked around, trying to see if there was anything of significant value and was also green. Nothing.

Kibum, forgetting that Jonghyun was teaching him the colors, just dragged Jonghyun to the swings. "Hyung, push me!"

Suddenly, an idea made contact with Jonghyun's brain at once, when he looked at the tall tree next to the swings.

"Kibummie, do you want to climb that tree with me?" Jonghyun asked, and pointed to the tree.

"Climb...that tree?" Kibum said, a bit nervous.

"Yep!" Jonghyun nodded. "You're not scared, are you Kibum?"

"No! Kibum isn't scared of that at all!" Kibum said stubbornly, when in fact, he was scared.

"Then let's go!" Jonghyun took Kibum's hand and pulled him towards the tree. "Kibummie, you go first, I'll follow after you."

Kibum looked up at the tall tree. His little stubby knees grew weak, but he tried not to show it. He didn't want to act like a 'fraidy-cat like all the other kids in the daycare said he was. So up he went.

And he actually made it up. Jonghyun sat beside him on the thick tree branch a second later. 

And then Kibum looked down.

And bursted into a sobbing mess.

"IT'S SO SCARY! GET ME DOWN!" Kibum wailed. Jonghyun panicked at one. He didn't know Kibum was going to cry!

"Kibummie-ah, don't be so scared, just don't look down!" Jonghyun pleaded, and took Kibum's small hands in his. When Kibum didn't stop crying, he put his arms around Kibum and hugged the crying boy. Slowly, Kibum calmed down. He didn't dare look down though. Although seeing that he was up higher than the trees made his stomach go queasy.

"Kibum-ah, look, see this leaf?" Jonghyun grabbed the biggest, fattest, greenest leaf there was on the tree. Well at least among the limited amount of leaves that he could see, it was. Kibum looked at it silently.

"It's green, Kibum-ah," Jonghyun said, proudly. Kibum was still silent. He reached out and took the leaf, pinching it between his thumb and index. It was as big as his little palm. Jonghyun watched as Kibum examined the leaf. To his relief, Kibum gave a little smile. 

"Green is a pretty color, isn't it?" Kibum giggled. Jonghyun sighed and nodded. Kibum continued to examine the big fat leaf, he was in that stage where he was curious about everything. He only stopped when the teacher called them out for the midday snack.

Jonghyun and Kibum slowly climbed back down, careful not to fall. The uneasy fluttering was not as strong in Kibum's stomach now. He took a deep breath when he landed, and then it was all gone. 

He stuffed the leaf in his pockets, and ran back to the daycare building with Jonghyun right by his side.


Kibum didn't mind being scared of anything when he was around Jonghyun anymore.

Because he felt safe with him anyway. 


Green is the color of the pretty healthy leaf. Green indicates safety, stability, and endurance. It symbolizes growth and harmony. Jonghyun gives Kibum the safety he needs.