Listen

Listen

 

18:04:09 10-11-2011

Jong In-ah, have you reached home yet? Remember to drink the soup, it’s good for you. Are you very busy these few days? Take care of yourself. Call me when you’re free. I love you.

 

07:57:42 28-02-2012

Jong In-ah, we’re worried about you. Are they treating you well? Tell us if anything happens, alright? Don’t keep everything to yourself, it’s unhealthy. Drink more water and call back soon. I love you.

 

23:13:56 08-04-2012

Jong In-ah, you were on the television today. I’m happy for you and proud of you for achieving your dreams. I’m sorry that I didn’t understand you before. Have you forgiven me? You’re out there in the real world now. Together with fame, there’ll be challenges you’ll have to face. Don’t give up too easily, okay? I believe in you. You’re going to shine bright, just like the stars you used to love looking at. Live your dreams, Jong In-ah. I miss you. I’m…I’m proud of you, really. I love you.

 

13:32:49 27-08-2012

Jong In-ah, when are you coming home? It’s been a long while since I last saw you. Are you eating well? The neighbours are asking when you’ll be back. You remember the little girl from next door? She’s waiting for you to play with her again. She made a few more straw dolls recently. Oh, do you remember that lovely old lady down the road? She just got married a few days ago, and the two of them are as sweet as anything. I heard you’re going overseas again soon. Don’t forget your pills alright? You don’t want to be feeling sick on the plane. Bring warm clothing if it’s going to snow there. Take care. I love you.

 

00:23:04 04-12-2012

Jong In-ah, have you read my letter? I…it’s okay if you haven’t, I understand. There…something happened around here, can you call? If you’re busy then it’s alright, it’s…it’s not important, anyway. I’ll try to get tickets to your next concert. Will you be free after that? Maybe we…I might not be able to get them, let’s see how it goes. Stay safe. I love you.

 

20:17:03 26-12-2012

Jong In-ah, I was there today. You were brilliant, really you were. I only wish you would smile at home the way you do on stage. It will be your birthday in two weeks. Will you be coming home? I’ll cook your favourite dishes. If you have time, visit, okay? You looked happy, but tired. You…you were always one to overwork yourself. Remember to rest, Jong In-ah. And if you need anyone to talk to, we’re always here. I just…I love you.

 

16:43:58 14-01-2013

Jong In-ah, it’s your twentieth birthday today. Happy birthday. We baked a strawberry jam sponge cake. I wonder if you’ll ever see it. Are you really too busy? Can you call back when you’re free? I really want to just hear your voice, even if we can’t meet. There’s something you need to know. I…please call back. I love you.

 

19:37:52 24-02-2013

Jong In-ah, how…why…have you heard these voicemails…at all? If so…Jong In-ah, please come home. There isn’t much time left. There are so many things I need to tell you. Are you still angry? Please come back soon. I love you.

 

10:01:38 16-03-2013

Jong In-ah, I didn’t want to tell you like this but…I’m leaving, Jong In. I’m sorry I won’t be able to see you become the best. I’m happy for you, Jong In-ah. I only wish…please don’t be sad. Live your dreams. I believe in you. Even after I’m gone, my faith will still be here. I love you, son.

 

00:00:01 13-11-2013

Omma, I’m Jong In. I called, but you’re not there to answer anymore.  I missed you, only that I didn’t realise it. I honestly, honestly thought I had everything. Eleven new brothers, a stage, fans, my dreams. I never really figured out that seemingly empty feeling whenever I go to bed, until now. It seemed perfect, my life seemed perfect, but I’d forgotten what it was that I’d been missing out on for so long. I was happy, I was, but there was someone I’d forgotten to share it with. I really thought I had everything I needed. I didn’t know, Omma, I didn’t know…will you forgive me? I want to hear your voice again, but all that’s left are these repeated words and  guilt that wash over like tidal waves. Maybe I deserve it. I do. I didn’t know. It’s a pathetic excuse, it is. I forgot. I didn’t know. I’m sorry. I love you.