o5.

More beautiful than silence;

 

Tiffany held a small party over at her place to celebrate the successful performance that Jinki and Jonghyun did next week, since she applied for leave already. Her house was mostly decorated with the color pink, and there were some really soft teddy bears lying around that proved Jessica's sayings of Tiffany to be true. Tiffany was always described to be an extreme pink-lover and held a big heart for soft-looking things.

 

Twenty minutes after he had arrived at the pink castle, he was finally, given some attention when Kibum reached the house with Jinki (well, that's if attention meant suffering a hard slap on his back from Jessica of how he accidentally blocked her way to greet the guests) and their arrival was definitely warmly welcomed by Jessica and Tiffany who immediately showered them with sweet cookies and red tea afterwards.

 

Jonghyun could only fiddle with the straw of his packet drink, not knowing to feel jealous as a brother or to feel jealous as... urm... Jinki's crush?

 

"You shoved a freaking pink pillow at my face and pushed me to a side when I arrived, Jessica."

 

Jonghyun shot a disapproving look at his sisters who were carrying pink -- oh that color again -- trays of cakes and pies that were skilfully made by Tiffany who attended culinary lessons for years into the room. Jessica only stuck her tongue out childishly at him back and she helped the raven-haired nurse to have the plates rested onto the table neatly.

 

"Jinki did so well last week while you sang like a frog!"

 

"... A frog?! W-What did you just say... Tiffany, you heard it right? She just--"

 

Jonghyun straightened his back in surprise when the raven-haired nurse swung a soft toy in his direction. He couldn't even laugh when Jessica's ponytail was tugged by Tiffany, the soft toy was... ironically speaking, not soft at all. It had the tip of his nose stinging for a long while but well, it's all worthy - Jinki fed him a cookie afterwards.

 

"Are you a creeper or something?" Jonghyun raised an eyebrow in disbelief at Kibum's sudden words. "Stop smiling like that! All Jinki did was to feed you a simple cookie!"

 

Jonghyun flailed his arms helplessly afterwards, as he tried to persuade Jinki to not believe Kibum's silly words while Jessica seemed like she could never stop laughing together with Kibum and Tiffany just continued to text her boyfriend peacefully about how her friends were being childish again.

 

"Caught! Kim Jonghyun is caught!" Jessica sang it repeatedly, twice before Kibum joined her for the third time. "Kim creeping Jonghyuun!"

 

Very childish, she corrected her text.



 

-



 

It was raining when they were halfway through playing monopoly (Jessica's suggestion) after finishing the food Tiffany made that Jinki's phone started to ring, due to a message alert. The game was then put on hold naturally as Jinki replied to the message, and also when Jessica started to start a childish banter with Tiffany at how she was never answering calls or replying to messages unless it's from her boyfriend.

 

While for Jonghyun, he was smiling stupidly at how Jinki showed him the cute text of his mother who asked him to return home earlier for dinner. He knew Jinki got a lot happier at the message - Kibum once mentioned about how the relationship of Jinki and his family was strained ever since what happened.

 

Jonghyun's vision was too focused on Jinki's smile that he almost missed how Kibum's expression suddenly turned dark.

 

He was about to ask Kibum for why the long face until Jinki suddenly pulled a sketchbook out of his bag, and scribbled some words on it with a black marker - it magically stopped the banter between the nurses and even wiped off the expression on Kibum for a moment.

 

"My mom just texted me, telling me to return home early for dinner and... it has been really long ever since she cooked so urm, I'm sorry but I've to leave now."

 

Although Jonghyun didn't want Jinki to leave that fast, the sight of the other being so happy was enough - it'd be a happy dinner for Jinki and he wanted it to happen.

 

So he helped Jinki to pack his things into his bag and tried to win the silent argument of him walking Jinki to the bus-stop (which was in fact only just opposite of Tiffany's house). Right before Jinki left, he tugged at Kibum's sleeves and showed him a paper with "Do you want to go home together with me?" written on it. Jonghyun could only chuckle at the disappointed expression on Jinki's face when Kibum explained how his friend was driving here to fetch him later on for a project work -- he boarded the bus while waving with this expression that Jonghyun could read as happy.

 

Jinki had really gotten so much happier lately, his spirits were lifted too.

 

Jonghyun hadn't realized how frequent it was Jinki had been smiling, even if it was just a really small smile that was almost unnoticeable. Sometimes it was even fun to tease Jinki at times to see his frustrated expression that might come with a pout that was really adorable - that was probably one of the reason why Jonghyun always hid Jinki's small notebook (which he would write what he wanted to say on) and the brown-haired would stare at him with so much cuteness. Really, Jonghyun could almost just hear the non-existing whine of Jinki--

 

"Honestly, what's on your mind?" Jonghyun snapped out of whatever he was thinking when Kibum threw a pillow at him - almost everyone around him grew the habit of throwing things at him. "You've been zoning out for the past twenty minutes -- okay whatever, it must have something to do with Jinki. I should've known, Kim creeping Jonghyun."

 

Jonghyun gaped at Kibum with disbelief, and wanted to deny everything he had said but he could only watch as Kibum packed his belongings neatly into the bag and checked at his phone.

 

"You can continue daydreaming and I'm heading... to my friend's house now, he's already waiting for me outside. See you guys later!"

 

Kibum waved, chuckling softly at Jessica who whined about how everyone was starting to leave then hugging Tiffany to thank her for the fun day before leaving. Everything’d have been perfectly normal for Jonghyun if not for how he saw Kibum crossing the road to where the bus-stop was just to board the bus that was numbered sixty-five; the one that Jinki had boarded earlier.

 

“He’s definitely avoiding Jinki,” Jonghyun whispered to himself.



 

-


 

While the question continued to remain as a mystery to Jonghyun, throughout the weeks after they were back to school, it was totally thrown out of his mind when he saw a group of freshmen locking the door which he remembered to be the indoor swimming pool of the university with expressions that definitely looked questionable. He was planning to observe them for more until his presence was noticed by one of them and it didn’t take more than seconds before they actually ran away in the opposite direction of him in the speed of light.

 

They were definitely suspicious.

 

So being the nosy man as he always was, Jonghyun found himself going closer to where the door was and unlocked it in one smooth movement before he pushed it forward so that he could enter where the strong of chlorine was strong - while a sudden loud splash rang at his ears.

 

Jonghyun immediately entered the wide space at where he had heard only to see that the swimming pool was empty without anyone in his sight. It was of course, impossible since Jonghyun was more than just sure that he hadn’t heard anything wrongly - there indeed was a loud splash, which just meant that whoever was here... got into the water.

 

It’d have seen to be a lot more innocent if Jonghyun hadn’t remembered those suspicious freshmen who he trust at all together with a phone that was deserted on the cold tiles right beside an adult pool - Jonghyun felt his heart drop the instant he recognized whose phone it was.

 

“Jinki...” Jonghyun muttered softly in his breath until realization fully hit him and he didn’t waste a single second of his before plunging himself into the pool which would’ve been dangerous if one didn’t know how to seem for how deep it truly was - all he could think about that moment was how Jinki didn’t have the slightest idea of swimming.

 

And there Jinki was, when Jonghyun forced his eyes opened when he was already diving midway into the pool, tied to a chair which sank to where the bottom of the pool was.

 

Jonghyun’s blood boiled immediately at the sight while panic struck at the back of this mind as he swore to murder those freshmen after he ensured his crush’s safety because no one, no one was to harm Lee Jinki.


 

-

 

“How’s Jinki?” Kibum sounded anxious and frantic as he barged into the ward, alerting the other patients that were present as he grabbed onto Jonghyun’s sleeves. “How is he, Jonghyun? Tell me!”

 

Jonghyun shushed Kibum immediately.

 

“He’s fine, Kibum. Besides light bruises Jinki doesn’t has any other injuries.” It was instant that Kibum heaved out loudly in relief before he flopped onto the chair beside Jonghyun with his face buried into his hands. “Don’t worry, I found him in time so-”

 

Sharp gasps from the ward were heard the moment Kibum hurled his phone onto the floor all of a sudden with such a great strength that Jonghyun could spot cracks on the device’s screen the next second and Tiffany didn’t hesitate to move away from the patient that she was tending to just to squat beside Kibum to look at him in the eyes with a soft stare.

 

“Kibum, I understand your anger and frustrations but you’re in a ward, I can’t have you affecting the other patients here or worse, you can wake Jinki up.” Tiffany whispered softly as she patted Kibum’s back comfortingly with an apologetic smile. “If it’s too hard to contain your emotions right now, you can go out to take a breather with Jonghyun first while discussing about just what happened to Jinki in details, alright? I will take care of him, both of you can have my word.”

 

Jonghyun nodded at Tiffany with a small smile, appreciating the brunette’s kind actions before glancing at the broken phone and already had a slight idea for Kibum’s outburst earlier which suddenly became all too clear.

 

“Kibum, let’s talk.”


 

-



 

“I’m... sorry,” Kibum breathed softly as he stood next to where the vending machine was and Jonghyun could feel the other’s stare which was mostly made up of what seemed to be sadness while he pressed some buttons to get the both of them warm coffee. “I didn’t mean to lose control of myself earlier.”

 

Jonghyun smiled softly as he took the cans of coffee out from the machine, the metal cold against his skin.

 

“You were really frustrated. It’s understandable and furthermore, why are you apologizing to me? It’s not me who minded the ruckus since you really needed to vent earlier, didn’t you?”

 

Soft popping sounds were made as they both opened the cans of coffee which immediately released strong aroma of the caffeine that slowly filled the corridor which was really empty with just the both of them. Not that Jonghyun had minded it though, since there were several enquiries that he was going to address with Kibum and distractions weren’t going to be welcomed in this case.

 

“... Of course I was. Those brats hurt Jinki.” Kibum clenched his fists tightly. “Now Jinki has to give his statement to the police again like how he did years ago. I’m afraid that that will stir unnecessary flashbacks up--”

 

“This is not what you are truly frustrated about, Kibum.”

 

Kibum halted midway through pressing the chilled can against his lips and stared at Jonghyun with eyes which started to be shifty.

 

“-- It is, Jonghyun. What are you on about again?” If this is about that nonsensical question again, I’m going back to Jinki and I’d have to ask you to leave.”

 

Jonghyun instinctively stepped over to where Kibum would turn to if he wanted to leave and gestured the other male to sit on the benches right beside instead - he wasn’t going to let him leave until all doubts are clarified. Kibum, as if getting the hint, sighed loudly with an anxious expression evident on his face before reluctantly seating himself on the light-colored bench with his bottom lip tucked between his teeth, nibbling at the soft flesh restlessly before glancing into Jonghyun’s eyes.

 

“... Make it quick. I want to be by Jinki’s side when he wakes up. Who knows if this incident will provoke something unwanted in him and for sure he needs someone to be with him.”

 

One didn’t have to think to know that Kibum was like Jinki; they both built walls around them right after that certain tragedy had happened and along with his very own crush who lost his will to speak, his best-friend lost his faith in being a friend.

 

“You’re frustrated because when Jinki called you earlier at the swimming pool, you didn’t pick up yet again.” Kibum’s vision avoided his own one the next instant and Jonghyun could just see how the other was fighting really hard to not exhale another loud sigh which looked like it was stuck in his throat. “You think that you’re in no way, fit to be Jinki’s best friend because you weren’t there when you think he needed you the most. That’s what struck you the most since both of you practically grew up together, isn’t it?”

 

Jonghyun sat onto the seat right beside Kibum and grabbed onto the other’s sleeve when he could sense how his friend was dying to get out of here, of this dreadful topics which he had been avoiding all these while.

 

“You’ve been angry at yourself ever since that night happened. Even if Jinki didn’t blame you, you did. You blamed yourself for years and even if his parents have forgiven you, you didn’t. While Jinki locked fear within himself, you locked guilt.”

 

Kibum’s clutch on the can of coffee tightened.

 

“You think that you’re a sinner but that’s not the case, Kibum.”

 

“And you think that you know everything but that’s not the case, Jonghyun.” Jonghyun’s hand which was secured on the fabric of Kibum’s shirt was pushed away the next instant and he was greeted with the other’s eyes which suddenly looked so undecipherable but he was sure that it was mostly made out of conflicting emotions, and anger was definitely included in it. “You think that you can be a savior to everyone. You think that you can read me like a clear book after Jinki allowed a few walls to be pulled down for you but the truth is? You’ve gotten nothing on me, Kim Jonghyun. You don’t know what I am thinking and... carve this in your mind. We’re never going to have this conversation ever again.”

 

Jonghyun stood up instinctively after seeing that Kibum did, and stopped all of his plans to move when Kibum turned to look at him with a sharp glare before chucking the can of coffee into the bin which was just placed right next to him.

 

“I appreciate all that you’ve done for Jinki, Jonghyun. I’m thankful that you care for him but please bear in mind that I’m no victim. You don’t have to do anything for me and interrogate me like I’m a criminal because I already know what crimes I’ve committed. I won’t ever let myself off for this so just lay off this topic-”

 

Jonghyun was more than grateful that the corridor that they had both picked to talk at was deserted since at the rate of how their voices was rising, it’d be a miracle if a nurse didn’t request them to leave where the hospital was right away.

 

“All you do is to tell me all the things I’ve done for Jinki, Kibum. Have you ever thought of all those things you’ve done for Jinki? You never once hurt him before, have you ever realized that?” Jonghyun’s very own can of caffeine was abandoned on the vacant seat as he remained unfazed at the unfriendly glare that was being emitted from Kibum’s sharp orbs. “Alright, so maybe you really did. But it’s never the way you think of it to be - its how you try to keep a distant from Jinki after what has happened! Can’t you see how he’s really trying hard for the both of you to turn back to time when things haven’t changed?”

 

“Things can’t go back to the same anymore after what I’ve failed to do what a best-friend should. I wasn’t there for him-”

 

“You have always been there for him, Kibum. Always.”

 

Jonghyun blinked when Kibum’s glare was suddenly softened into something that he would interpret to be sadness as the other chuckled lifelessly with a hand of his over his face.

 

“You are the one who have always been there for Jinki, Jonghyun. Always.” Kibum added with a humorless laughter as he started to take steps backwards, leaving where Jonghyun was and he no longer had the energy to try and make the other stay anymore at how truly defeated Jinki’s best-friend had sounded. “You helped him, you saved him, you made him happy, you performed with him and you were there when he was in danger. You were there and I never was. It’s pretty obvious who will be there for Jinki starting from now and be by his side, isn’t it? Not me. Never is it going to me - I’m just going to be that friend who disappoints.”

 

Once Kibum had reached the end of the corridor which could lead to the other routes, his depressed eyes suddenly widened as he seemed to have noticed... someone.

 

Jonghyun groaned inwardly once he realized that there was only one person who could evoke such reaction from Kibum at this very situation.

 

“... Jinki.”