Change

Black Feathers

Onew was fourteen when he met Taemin. He found the boy lying defenceless in an alley one full moon night.

 

 

The teenager stood beside the bleeding and battered body of a middle aged man. Onew held a black feather delicately with his fingers. It floated in the air and materialized into a pitch black butterfly which slowly landed on the palm of his outstretched hand. He whispered something and it flew near the corpse.

The body glowed and a ball of light appeared, it was the soul of the deceased. The butterfly collected the soul and the body stopped glowing.

“Rob Kent, 48, died, October 16th. Time: 11 hours 17 minutes, cause of death: severe internal bleeding.” Minho said monotonously and the words printed on it’s own in the book he was holding. “Well, that’s it for today. Let’s head back, Onew.”

“Yeah.” Onew replied. The duo swiftly left the scene.

Onew spread his wings and Minho followed behind him. The moon lighted the cold night illuminating everything with its cool light. They flew across the roofs of the town noiselessly like a whisper in the wind.

The young angel abruptly halted mid flight and the Death God followed suit.

“What is it? Is something wrong?” The older enquired.

“This feeling is familiar.” Onew whispered and glided downward making Minho start. The Death God’s robes rustled as he followed his angel.

Onew’s boots made a dull thud as he landed on the moist ground while Minho gracefully glided next to him. The teenager took a step forward hesitantly. His eyes widened and he hastily ran to the dark corner of the alley.

Young Onew stopped a few feet away from a quivering little boy with blonde hair. He kneeled on the ground and sadly stared at the little boy. Minho slowly made his way beside Onew, cautiously observing the surroundings.  

“You must be in pain, come with us.” Onew said and placed his hand on the boy’s shoulder. The younger flinched away and looked at Onew with scared eyes. It broke his heart to see such hollow eyes tainted with despair.

“I won’t hurt you, I promise. Here take my hand, come with us.” The fourteen year old smiled reassuringly and gave the boy his hand. The boy contemplated with a hesitant look at the older and slowly reached his hand out. The firm grip of the older and his warm smile made his doubts wash away in an instant. The blonde clung onto Onew, afraid he may disappear.

“I’m Onew. What’s your name?” The older asked while running his fingers through the blonde locks.

“My – my name is Tae – Taemin.” Taemin replied with a shivering voice. Onew wrapped his cloak around Taemin trying to warm the young boy.

Minho broke the moment with his words. “We should be getting back immediately.” Taemin started and held tighter to Onew. He opened his eyes and looked at Minho. He’s feet do not touch the ground, just like - , thought Taemin.

“Yes, we should.” Onew replied and looked into Taemin’s eyes. “Everything will be alright. I will not let anyone hurt you.”

 

 

Onew noiselessly closed the door to his study having put the blonde to bed after getting his wounds treated. His hands shook violently on the door knob and he swayed o his spot. Minho hastily stood up from his seat and walked around the table to Onew. He held the boy’s shoulders. “Onew, Onew! Stay calm!”

The younger slapped the male’s hand away. “How – how can I possibly stay calm? Not with this.” He screamed. “Did you not see? His wings were ripped apart! Taemin’s wings were ripped apart!” The boy broke down. He couldn’t begin to imagine the pain the young boy must have gone through. He may have acted tough, but the truth was that he was about to fall apart.

“Why – where is his Death God?! Why wasn’t he with him? Why can’t I trace a link?” The boy screamed. This fact had been haunting Onew since he found Taemin in the alley with his wings all torn and covered in dried blood.

Minho hugged Onew. “You know why, Onew, you know.” The boy frantically struggled in Minho’s hold. After a while he gave up trying to break free losing his strength. “I don’t want to believe that, I don’t.” Onew cried.

“You have to. Either way you look at it, it’s clear what may have happened. Taemin’s Death God may have been killed by one of those God Killers.” Onew sobbed in Minho’s arms wanting nothing but to change the dreadful fact.

 Minho held the crying boy in his arms until he fell asleep giving way to exhaustion. “That can explain why we cannot trace a link. His wings will heal with time, Onew. It will in time.” Minho held Onew closer to this chest and frowned. Things were getting serious and Minho didn’t like it one bit.

 

 

 

Lee Taemin was a broken angel that Onew found and took in. His Death God was killed only two months after he came of age. They were attacked out of nowhere one day and the assault left his wings in shambles.

 

 

 

 

Taemin now loved his life with Onew. A few months prior, they came to South Korea leaving behind their life in France and a few close friends.

They were currently living in Onew’s family mansion in the outskirts of Seoul. Minho had forced both him and Onew to enter a university. They had no idea what the Death God was thinking, but followed along when the older male started lecturing Onew about his responsibility as a human and to Taemin as well.

Their top priority was to remain visible yet completely invisible to the surface world. On the surface world, Onew was the only heir to an industrial family fortune and Taemin knew his duty to stay beside the older as a loyal friend or future work mate as Minho offhandedly put it.

 

 

Onew slammed the thick text book on his office table and whined uncharacteristically for the serious front he put up for the board members of his company. He jabbed the piled of paper on his right with a pen furiously. Getting nowhere with his little outburst he slammed his hands on the table and stood up forcing the chair to wobble a bit.

“Why am I doing this?” The golden brown haired boy directed his question at the professional looking male sipping tea on the couch.

Minho glanced at him for a second before turning his attention to the pastry on the plate lying innocently on the table. “…Because the board members are questioning your abilities in managing the company ‘at such a young age’ as they put it.”

The younger huffed and sat down on the chair feeling very tired all of a sudden. “Isn’t getting a 100 in every test enough? Why go through all this trouble? God, I feel suffocated.”

“They recognize your abilities. They’re just not sure about your home tutored achievements.” Minho offered still focused on the berries lining the crème topping of the cake.

Onew threw a pointed look at the older man’s obsession in distaste. “That’s just a contradiction of their supposed belief in my abilities, Minho.” He said dryly.

“Attending a top university will assure them of your abilities no doubt. Besides, they seem critical of your people skills. Given, they don’t know you on a personal level, it’s presumptuous of them. Still, you are attending your classes from tomorrow onwards.” The tall male replied and finally took a bite out of the cake. “Delicious.” Minho said after tasting the cake. “Human’s make such delicious foods.”

Onew sighed and rubbed his face. “Why does it seem like my life has gotten more complicated these days?”

“It’s an unavoidable truth, Lee Jinki. You are the sole heir to the Lee Industries and that fact is undisputed. Besides, you completely inherited everything when you turned eighteen. You have a duty to protect your parent’s legacy, don’t you, Lee Jinki?” Onew cringed at sound of his real name.

“Mom and Dad, I will protect this company that they built. But Minho, this is not something I’m worried about. What bothers me is why Kim Jonghyun’s memories are still intact?” Minho turned his full attention on the younger male.

“We’ll just have to monitor him from a distance then. It confuses me just as it does you, Onew. And I see that you still think of him.” Onew glared at Minho.

“I do not. It just troubles me.” Minho smiled at the reply.

Within a second Minho was behind Onew with is arms wrapped around the younger. Minho leaned down and smelled the younger boy’s nape.

 “You smell sweet, my little angel.” The taller male whispered in Onew’s ears making him shiver. He rubbed their cheeks together and kissed the spot earning a grunt from the younger.

“You’re a prick, Minho hyung.” Onew mumbled. Minho smiled and nuzzled his nose in the crook of Onew’s neck with a hum.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kibum unlocked the door to his shared dorm with Jonghyun. He kicked his shoes off and placed the key on the coffee table while throwing his bag on the sofa.

“Jonghyun? Are you home?” Kibum called out. He frowned getting no response. Kibum shrugged and plopped himself on the sofa. He the T.V and indulged himself.

A few hours later, Kibum woke up with a sore neck and cursed to himself. He stretched himself and noticed that the television was turned off. His blinked a bit in confusion and deduced that Jonghyun might have returned. He strode to their shared bedroom making as little noise as possible to surprise the other male. He opened the door swiftly about to shout at the boy, but widened his eyes instead.

“Are you going somewhere?” Kibum voiced uncertainly at Jonghyun who was currently packing his bags.

 He racked his eyes around the room. Jonghyun’s bed was tidied and his belongings were cleared out from the shelfs. Before Kibum could say a word, Jonghyun turned to face him.

“I’m leaving, Kibum. And I’m leaving you.” Jonghyun said with a tone void of emotion.

Kibum widened his eyes in disbelief. “Wh – what? What did you just say? Who leave who?” He asked in shock.

“I’m breaking up with you, Kim Kibum. I’m leaving this place as well. I put up a flyer for a new room mate for you or you can just call Sanghyun shi to stay with you.” Jonghyun replied making sure his voice reached the boy clearly.

“What? This is too sudden… Jonghyun, did I do something? Why are we breaking up?” Kibum asked completely taken aback.

Jonghyun zipped his travel bag and hauled it over his shoulders. He stopped beside Kibum at the door for a moment. “I already moved most of my stuff when you were asleep. I won’t be coming back to get anything else, so rest assured. And here, this is yours.” Jonghyun shoved a leather covered journal into Kibum’s chest and left.

Kibum stared wide eyed at the journal in his hand. “He found out?” The sound of the door slamming shut startled Kibum.

 

 

Jonghyun dumped the box filled with the couple items he bought with Kibum in the dustbin. He shifted his shoulders and walked down the flight of stairs only to break down in the middle. Everything he had with Kibum turned out to be a lie. He was just being manipulated all this time. He was so stupid, so blinded by all the glitter that Kibum was.

 He was going to offer Kibum the chance to clear up his actions with Sanghyun even it was stark clear that what the two of them had between each other was anything but innocent. Jonghyun loved Kibum and decided to put his trust in the boy a last time even though deep inside he knew the ugly truth. But he wasn’t prepared for such a shock.

 

Flashback

 

Jonghyun sat in the corner of the dark room. His heart felt numb from the day’s events. He found out his boyfriend was having an affair. He was going to confront Kibum when he came home though.

He cringed remembering the root of his distress. He screwed his chance to talk to Jinki with his impulsive actions. To top it off, he had royally pissed who he considered were Jinki’s friends. Jonghyun frowned remembering the intimate relationship Jinki seemed to have with the two strangers. Jinki was only intimate with him and stayed away from almost everyone else before, but who was he to place a claim on Jinki when he had been the one who left him in the first place.

Jonghyun fisted his hands. Angels? Death and life? Everything was confusing him. He felt shocked at himself for accepting everything so easily without denying the facts. Then again, Jinki was always like an angel, a clumsy angel.

Jonghyun closed his eyes feeling tears pooling. Who was Jinki? Who was Onew? Where was the boy that was his best friend? Where was his clumsy and lovable Jinki? Who was this Onew who was an angel? Jonghyun held his head and screamed in frustration.

He scrambled to his feet and switched on the lights. Jonghyun rushed to the shelf and threw open his old year book and photo albums. He had to make sure he wasn’t dreaming and was chasing something he wasn’t sure about. He made a choked sound as he hysterically threw his stuff on the floor.

A book fell from the top shelf in his reckless hysterics. Jonghyun stopped moving, confused about the cluster of pages wrapped under the brown leather covering. He slowly picked up the book and unfolded the cover. It belongs to Kibum, thought Jonghyun after examining the handwriting. He flipped through the pages curiously. As far as he knew the younger male, Kibum never kept something as private as a journal.

He read through the pages as the child like handwriting grew more poise and matured with each turn. Kibum had had it from the time he was a child. But it wasn’t that fact which made Jonghyun read on and on. It was the fact that Kibum’s deepest secrets were written in the journal.

By the time Jonghyun finished reading, his eyes had grown hollow and only anger danced in it’s depths.

 

…I pissed off some wannabe thugs for fun…

 

I finally made Jonghyun into my personal slave, though he doesn’t realize it…

 

…Sanghyun is teasing me about my tactics, but I think my plan is working fine. He’s jealous of my dog…

…He left his friend for me, what a loser…

 

He still doesn’t realize that I’m playing with him…

…and he even promised o die in my place…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wokay! Jongkey broken. Sorry Jongkey shippers!

*ships Jongyu hardcore* Lets all ship them! Lol

Enjoy and throw comments~

*hide behind a wall* I know, I know, you guys want Jongyu! I do too!

And it's coming sooner or later~

*coughhintcough* Jinki's going to some Top as* uniersity to get a degree~ *coughhintcough* Taemin's coming along.

Did you like the Onho interaction? *smirks and wriggles eyebrow*