Final

Love From the Back Seat

Jongin came to his class and went straight to his seat at the back of class. he put his bag on his chair then rested his head on the table. he's still sleepy as always because he spent the night with dancing since he suddenly got a new idea for choreography.


then here he was, trying so hard to stay awake because he didn't want to make his teacher angry.


he's about to fall asleep when suddenly one of his classmate yelled, "guys!!!! we have no teacher this time because miss choi is sick!!!"

everybody started to yell and the class became more noisy than ever.

"aishh..so noisy." he mumbled. he stood up then proceed to leave the class. he wanna sleep so he decided to continue it somewhere.


'maybe the old practice room would be fine.' he thought, considering that the room was abandoned but it's still clean. he could sleep for a while then finished his choreo after that. what a perfect plan.


when he finally stood in front of the old practice room, he stopped because he heard music from the music room which was 4 rooms away from this room. he listened to it then realized someone was there, playing the piano. he frowned, nobody had music class in the morning. So who is it?


'maybe someone in my class?' he thought then shook his head. only soonkyu and jooyeon who could play the piano and jongin saw them in the class just now, so it's impossible. Beside, they played not a good as this one. the one who who was playing the piano definetely a pro. beautifully-played.
jongin changed his mind and slowly approached the music room. he pushed the door a little then peeked who's inside. the one  who played a piano was a girl. She didn't realize his presence because she's too busy.

jongin stunned when he saw her back. her long-wavy hair and not-so-skinny body indicated that the girl must be so beautiful. jongin then realized that this girl didn't wear a uniform. she wore a pink tee with jeans. jongin frowned, how could the outsider enter the school freely? but he could care less because that's not the reason why he came in.


jongin stepped in, wanting to see her more. now he could see her beautiful fingers, then jongin stopped. he didn't want to scare her.
jongin stunned when suddenly the girl started singing. Her voice was a bit deep but really beautiful. it made him wanna see her even more, but he knew he couldn't do that. so he turned back, slowly approached the door and went out before she realized his presence.
and that's his first meeting with that unknown girl who completely blew his mind.

next morning, jongin came to school with a new hope: he hoped that he could see that girl again. he woke up earlier than usual, making his mother and sisters frowned deeply. he ate his breakfast in hurry then forced his sister to take him to school because he didn't wanna be late (when it's still an hour before school started).


jongin arrived 45minutes before class started and he's the first one to come. he tossed his bag on his chair then ran to the old music room, hoping that he could see her again.
his face fell when he realized that music room was still locked. it meant no one could enter the room before class started. he sighed, then went back to his class in disappointment.


"whoaaa jongin you already came." yunjae punched his arm lightly.


"hmm.." jongin mumbled.


"did you come earlier because you wanna study for quiz?" nana asked.


"we have a quiz????" both jongin and yunjae asked in surprise.


"hmm. Yoon-ssem said she would make a quiz about chapter 6 and 7. didn't you hear it?"


"damn it!" yunjae quickly back to his chair and took his book, trying to do "last-minute-study" and jongin did the same.

 


"good morning, class!" the teacher greeted them.


"." yunjae muttered under his breath, getting a hit on his head from nana.


"you can't curse the teacher, babo!" she hissed.


"i didn't mean to!" he hissed back.


"okay do you have anything to share, nana and yunjae?" she asked.


"no, ssem." they answered.


"okay before we start, i'd like to announce you something." she paused. "we have a new student."


"a girl or a boy??" yoojung asked.


"you're lucky because she's so beautiful." their teacher teased them, making the boys excited.


"okay don't be noisy!" she ordered and the class became quiet again.


"we're lucky!!" yunjae hit jongin's arm.


"i don't care." he shrugged.


"because you're not straight." yunjae said, making jongin kicked his leg under the table.
 

"ack!"


"is there something wrong, yunjae??" their teacher asked.


"n-no, ssem. please continue." he said before rubbing his leg, making jongin tried hard to hold his laughter.


"soojung-ah, please come in." she asked.
as soon as she entered the class, the class became quiet and stared at her in awe. she's so beautiful even though a little bit cold. her face remained the same, making people didn't really know whether she's nervous or not. She stood beside the teacher and introduced herself.


"my name is jung soojung. you can call me soojung. i hope you guys can help me and be friend with me." she bowed a little then stared at nothing in front of her.


as soon as jongin heard her voice, he lifted his head and surprised because he's familiar with that voice.


"any question?" the teacher asked.


"where are you from?" nana asked.


"california." she simply answered and they started chattering around.


"isn't it in london?" one of the classmate asked.


"heol, sungkyu. you're so stupid." jungah rolled her eyes. "it's in america." she explained.


"you need to see the world map after this class, sungkyu." the teacher sighed.


"okay i think that's all for the introduction. Please be nice to her and if you want something to ask, you can ask her later. soojung, you can sit there." she pointed at the empty seat right in front of her. Soojung thanked her and went to her seat.


"now, i'll check your attendance."


"what about the quiz, ssem?" sooyeon asked, making the others glared at her.


"i cancel it because we have a new student." she said.


"bless you, jung soojung!" yunjae yelled shamelessly, making the class bursted in laughter.


meanwhile, jongin didn't care about the whole thing because he's busy with his own thought.


"jung soojung.." he muttered. "we meet again."

                                      ***

Jongin had a new activity at class: watching and studying jung soojung's back.


because he sat at the back and soojung at the front, he rarely saw her face but he could care less because he didn't want her to freak out or think that he's a stalker or creeper. nope.


soojung liked to tugged her hair behind her left ear. her favorite color was purple because of her backpack and the rest of her stationary. she wouldn't eat cucumber and apple, so jongin thought she didn't like it.
Although people expected soojung would be popular and had many friends, the reality was a contrary.


people seemed afraid of her because of her cold aura. she rarely smiled or speak, making people uneasy to approach her first. the fact that she's from state made them hesitated even more. they're afraid she would reject their offer because she's a foreign (for them), even though she's actually a korean, too. That made jongin actually felt sorry towards her because she looked..lonely. jongin really wanna be her friend, but she might think that jongin was same with the others, wanting to know her more because they wanna date her. He admitted that he likes her, a day earlier than his friends. but all he wanna do was befriend her and made her adapted quickly with this class.


jongin could see her uneasiness whenever the boys approached her and acted the way too friendly with her. jongin couldn't do anything because he's too shy to approach her. And that's how jongin ended up with admiring her from the back of his seat, just praying for her safety and happiness. it seemed weird or cheesy but the truth is, that's the only thing jongin asked.


"i look miserable." jongin once told his sister.


"approach her. girls know who is the good and bad guy. we can distinguish it." she rubbed his head. "you're too good to be true. i wish i could meet the guy like you."


"noona.." he paused "she might think that i'm a stalker!"


"no you silly." she rolled her eyes. "she won't reject your friendship-offering except she's a snob."


"she isn't!" jongin cut her words. "ah..i think i'm gonna wait for miracle."


"now you look miserable, boy." her sister shook her head.


But the miracle did exist.


one day, after 2 months soojung moved to his class, god granted his wish.


that afternoon, jongin stayed a bit longer at school because he wanna practice for the upcoming event. he stopped when he stared outside the window. the rain starts to pour, surprising him because the sky used to be so bright. he thanked her sister for forcing him to bring an umbrella this morning because he might ended up soaking wet.


he looked at his watch, almost 5pm. It's 3 hours after school ended so the school must be empty. he cleaned the room and changed his clothes, proceeding to go home.


he walked quickly because he didn't wanna be late. he had to be home before 6pm because he had an appointment with his dance trainer.


jongin suddenly stopped when he saw a familiar figure in front of him.


soojung stood there, facing the sky and sighed. she had to go home but she couldn't because it's raining heavily. she looked at her watch and tried to call her mother for a few times and still no response. her mother was probably busy with her works.


'To talk or not to talk..' jongin thought. he could see that soojung wanna go home but she didn't wanna be soaked. he was in dilemma. In one case, he's lucky because it's his chance to talk to her for the very first time and another case, she'd freak out because he never talked to her before. Jongin even doubted that she knew him.

after struggling with his mind, he finally approached her and stood beside her.


"hmm..soojung." he called, making the girl startled because she didn't realize that she's not alone.


"ah..umm..yes?" she startled.


'nice start, jongin. you scared her.' he blamed himself.


"school has ended a few hours ago."


Soojung remained silent. she didn't know how to answer that question.


"never mind." jongin sighed.


"i...have no umbrella or raincoat." soojung finally spoke.


"i have one.." jongin took out his umbrella then blushed a bit when he realized it's uncommon thing for a boy to bring an umbrella. "my sister forced me." he added.


"ohh.." soojung responded, not knowing how to respond to a boy who showed off his small umbrella.


"i mean..umm..i can walk you home if you want. I won't be bad, i won't harm you, i swear." he said while scratched his head, totally confuse and felt awkward at the same time.


soojung stared expresionless at him and didn't say anything. jongin shook his head, getting frustrated because of soojung. it would be the first and the last time he talked to her. he had to forget about her.


"i just wanna help you. i swear. but since you're afraid of boy.." he paused. he handed the umbrella to her then wore his hoodie. "you can use that. bye."


As soon as he finished his words, he ran through the rain. soojung looked surprise but she quickly opened the umbrella then followed him.


"jongin-ssi!!! Stop!!" she yelled, making jongin stopped right away. he quickly turned around and frowned at her.


she approached him then put an umbrella above them. "why did you run  so sudden?"
"i thought you didn't want me to walk you home." jongin said.


"i thought you hate me." soojung responded.
 

"what? No! Why should i??" he surprised upon hearing her words.


"you're the only one who never approach me or talk to me." soojung said bluntly.


"it's because you look unpleased whenever the boys approached you." jongin explained. "teacher said we have to be nice towards you, not to scare you."


'he knew..' soojung softened.


"umm..so.."


"let's go home together." soojung said. "i think you're not a bad guy."


"i am not." jongin shook his head, making soojung chuckled. jongin stunned, she looked more beautiful when she laughed.


"you look different." she commented.


"eh?"


"now and when you dance."


"have you seen me...dance?" jongin surprised.


"several times." she shrugged. "i watched you silently because i thought you hate me, but i really like the way your body moves along with the music. It's like you have a great sense of music." she explained.


"how did you know?" jongin surprised upon hearing that. he never knew that she would do that!


maybe miracle did exist.


"i can sing and play some instrument, that's why i know about sense of music." she couldn't hide that she's proud.


"yeah, you have a beautiful voice and you play piano beautifully." jongin commented.


"eh?? how did you know??" soojung turned at him, looking surprise because of his words.


jongin shrugged, refusing to answer her question.


soojung grinned. "so lemme guess, we secretly watch each other." she chuckled then reached out her hand, staring at his eyes.


"we haven't greeted properly. I'm soojung, jung soojung. your classmate."


jongin laughed, feeling relieved because he could approach her properly. and he had a very good feelings that it wouldn't last for a while. they'd be very good friends.


"i'm jongin, kim jongin. i know you're my classmate." he smiled. because i see you everyday from the backseat.