Dreams

Dreams

 

 
"You know how when you're dreaming, everything seems so true, so real? The love, the pain, the happiness, you can feel it all so perfectly. Everything is happening, down to the last detail. But then as soon as you wake up, it has all been a dream. Just a dream. And the small details start to fade away, soon leaving just a blurred story, to be forgotten, to be replaced the next night."
 
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
 
I slowly got off my bed, feeling my head quite heavy, from the bad night of sleep I just had. Heading to my bathroom, I followed my everyday routine, washing up, putting on my boring work clothes, some make-up, and trapping my hair up in a bun. Finally breakfast, and I was good to go. On my way to work, there was this small, adorable, coffee shop, that makes one of the best cappuccinos I ever had, so I made stopping there to get a coffee to go part of my routine.
 
"Good morning."
 
The handsome employee greeted me, as always. I knew his name was Himchan, due to the name tag on his apron, but we never really had any real conversations. I come everyday to ask for a cappuccino, to go, and he became quite used to me. I don't have to say 'to go' anymore. It might seem silly of my to be happy about that, but I had to admit, I had a crush on the handsome coffee shop employee. 
 
"One cappuccino, please."
 
I gave him a customary smile, that he quickly answered. Didn't take long for him to come back with my order. I thanked him, and was about to leave, giving a couple of steps backwards, to move away from the counter, when I tripped on my on feet, almost falling bum down. With the harsh movement, my coffee's lid opened, and it spilled all over my clothes. I barely had time to realize how hot and burning it was, before I saw that all the other customers around were boldly laughing at me, some even pointing. I looked towards the counter, and to my disgrace, I saw Himchan giving me a scoff, with a 'crazy lady' expression on his face.
 
I never felt so embarrassed before, I just wanted to dig a hole and fall in!
 
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
 
Hyosung opened her eyes, looking around her bedroom. The sun was already shining in, telling her it was time to get up and start getting ready, or she would be late for work.
 
She slowly slid off her bed, scratching her head, trying to shake off the weird dream she just had. Dropping hot coffee on herself seemed stupid enough, but she remembers she barely felt it, as she was more worried about the people laughing around her. 
 
She went into her bathroom, starting her everyday routine by washing her face. She took an extra second looking at complexion in the mirror, scowling at the almost purple dark circles under her eyes. She had been working too much, and always getting some weird dreams, that made her feel as if she hadn't slept at all.
 
Getting back to her room, she took her work clothes out of her closet. A simple button white shirt, with a grey blazer, and a matching knee high skirt. She had quite a few of those sets, in different colors, for her to wear everyday to work. She swiftly changed out of her pajamas, and now with the clothes done, it was time to go back to the bathroom and make herself presentable.
 
With quite a large bag of make-up products, she entered the bathroom once again, and started trying to mask out her tired face, very successfully, as she already had some years to learn the tricks. At last, she pulled her hair up, fixing it perfectly into a very professional bun. 
 
Now all she needed was breakfast, and she was good to go. Not bothering herself to spend too much time in the kitchen, she quickly pulled out from the fridge some leftovers from the previous dinner, not even caring to heat it up. She could afford to show up late to work, she wasn't really anyone important or irreplaceable. She was a secretary to a very big firm, that could replace her in less than an hour. Punctuality kept her rent in day, and gave her leftovers every once in a while.
 
Taking her bag, she made it out of her small apartment. Walking to work everyday would safe up the extra bus money the firm paid most employees, and allow her a more expensive treat at the end of every month. Not that she was really poor and couldn't afford things, but she was saving up money, to follow her dream. She wanted to leave her current job and make her childhood dream come true, opening a pastry shop. Even though she knew how to bake very well, she still needed money for a lot of things, and she wouldn't quit her current job until she knew she had enough to live on.
 
Hyosung went into a small, charming, coffee shop, that is also part of her routine, always buying a cappuccino, to drink on her way to work. But this time, with the dream she had creeping into her mind, she was scared that if she asked for the usual drink, it would all really happen. Hyosung knew it was silly of her, but there the woman was, looking up to the chalkboard menu as she waited in line. It would be the first time she would ask something different, and for the first time she noticed how many different choices she had. Before she realized, it was her turn to order, and she was still deciding.
 
"Good morning."
 
Himchan, the handsome employee smiled at her, as he did everyday, but this time, it made her realize she had to order. The woman quickly checked behind her, relief filling her chest when she saw there was no line, so she could take her time.
 
"I was talking to you. Cappuccino to go?"
 
The employee mistook her action, as if Hyosung had thought he was speaking to someone else. His charming smile, directed especially to her, made Hyosung blush very slightly, not visible due to the make-up.
 
"Ah... Not today. What would you recommend?"
 
She asked, feeling very awkward and shy. What if he thought she was trying to buy time to flirt with him? He was very attractive, and Hyosung was sure a lot of women flirt with him, he must be tired of it.
 
"Up to trying something new, huh? Strong, normal, or weak?"
 
He asked, smiling even more. She thought for a while, considering the day she had ahead, before choosing.
 
"Strong."
 
Himchan chuckled as he placed his arms on the counter, leaning in so could point at the board menu that was above his head. That action made Hyosung blush more, her heart agitated with the sudden proximity his action caused. It wasn't that close, but it was more than she had ever been to him. Himchan started telling her some coffee names, and she was checking the prices on the board.
 
"I want an Americano."
 
She said, and he smiled, straightening up.
 
"Right away!"
 
Himchan turned around, going to make her order immediately. He wasn't that far away, so she could still hear him talking to her.
 
"What inspired the sudden change?"
 
He looked over his shoulder to see her expression, to check if she knew he was talking to her. Hyosung lowered her head a bit, before answering him.
 
"It's embarrassing, actually."
 
She started, laughing nervously.
 
"I had this weird dream that I ordered a cappuccino, and spilled it all over myself, making everyone in the shop laugh at me. So I thought it would be best not to risk it."
 
She giggled, still feeling very nervous, hoping he wouldn't think she was one of those super crazy ladies, that believe in all kinds of superstition. To her relief, he turned around chuckling, and not giving her the face he did in her dream.
 
"That was cute."
 
He was smiling brightly again, but Hyosung didn't understand what he meant by that. Her dream was cute? How? To her it was only weird. 
 
Himchan quickly saw her confused face, and elaborated his words, to make it easier for the woman to understand.
 
"Your giggling, just now. That was really cute."
 
Those words made Hyosung's blush creep out even through a bit of her make-up. She liked that, being called cute. She liked knowing she was cute. She liked knowing he thought she was cute. Or at least had a cute giggle.
 
"Hey, since you're trying a new thing today, how about trying something else too?"
 
Himchan once again leaned on the counter, but this time facing her, staring into her eyes.
 
"how about a date? With me."
 
His smile seemed to be a little more than what Hyosung's heart could take right after that phrase. For a moment, she thought she could be dreaming. It was hard to believe that such a handsome guy asked her out. And then she realized the smile on his face slowly went away, as she kept quiet.
 
"forgive me, I think I got carried away."
 
He said straightening up, and looking down to the counter, sliding her drink over. Hyosung slowly panicked, hitting herself inside her head, for having such a slow reaction.
 
"No! No you didn't. And yes... I would like to go on a date with you."
 
Her shyness crept in, and she could only look down,  focusing on the coffee that she was supposed to pick up from the counter. She knew he was smiling,  and she didn't want her heart to go through another roller coaster just by looking at him face.
 
"Great! What time is it good for you?"
 
Himchan asked, feeling happier than ever. Hyosung looked up, staring at him for a bit, letting her heart calm down, and her head think. That day she would leave work at 4 PM, so if she told him to meet at 5:30 PM, that would give her time to go back home, and change out of those horrible work clothes.
 
"How about 5:30? Is that good for you?"
 
She asked, bitting her lip, feeling nervous. It had been ages since she last went on a date, and especially with someone that looked this nice. Her pessimist side immediately kicked in, telling her she was going to ruin everything, but she tried to keep that thought away.
 
"Oh, that's great! It's just when my shift ends."
 
Himchan said, and Hyosung smiled, finally picking up her coffee, and stepping back.
 
" Great, then we'll meet in front of the coffee shop, yes?"
 
She said, trying to look a bir more mature, different from the image she was previously showing that day.
 
"Yes, it's a date. I'll see you then."
 
He nodded, smiling, and she started going away, saying a quick bye before leaving.
 
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
 
Hyosung had been staring at her closet for a good time, more than she had ever stared the years before. She didn't know what to wear. It had been so long since she last went out to have fun, that she couldn't find clothes in her closet that weren't her work clothes. She opened a drawer, digging her hand inside, to the furthest back she could go, to see if there was something hidden, that she threw in her drawer to make space for more blazers. To her luck, she did find something. A cute dark green top, that was very simple, but still looked good on her. Now all she needed was to find her pair of jeans, and she'd be done with clothes.
 
Once completely dressed, she went to the bathroom, to fix her make up, which took only a few minutes. She did add a few more things, to differentiate from her everyday work make-up, especially since he saw her everyday at the coffee shop. She had to look different, look better.
 
Looking at her watch, Hyosung knew it was almost time for her to leave, and she started checking if she was completely ready, and if she had turned off every light in the house, as she was trying her best to keep her energy bill as low as possible. She took her bag and left the apartment, but as she walked to the coffee shop, she started feeling very nervous. Why was she doing that? Going out with a guy... She had agreed that she didn't need any sort of distractions until she managed her pastry shop dream, and a boyfriend would be the biggest distraction she could find. Only a few blocks away from the shop, she stopped, giving herself a second to take a deep breath, and calm herself, before carrying on. Now it was too late to back out. She could at least have some fun, and enjoy the date.
 
As she approached, she could see a guy already standing in front of the shop. Himchan was out of his usual black uniform, wearing a normal v-neck white T-shirt, and a pair of jeans. Even if his clothes were simple, he looked dashing.
 
"Hey. Sorry, did I make you wait much?"
 
Hyosung got closer, letting him notice her. With a kind smile on his face, Himchan looked really happy to see her, and Hyosung easily smiled back, as the promised herself to try not to act awkward or shy.
 
"Not at all, I just came out to wait for you."
 
He answered.
 
"You look amazing, by the way. It's great to see you out of the work suits, you look more comfortable."
 
He completed, quickly eyeing her outfit. She did feel more comfortable like that, and it showed on her face. Even though she looked a bit tired from the day of work, Himchan could see in her smile that she was happy to be out of the house.
 
"It's good to see you out of your uniform too."
 
Hyosung said, following the topic he started, but planning to move on the conversation.
 
"So, where are we going? Any ideas?"
 
She continued. She had spend the whole day wondering, since the date was decided so suddenly. She wondered what kind of things he did on first dates. Movies? Museums? Only a meal? She had no idea what she'd like to do, and kind of hoped that he had something in mind, and didn't sent her question back at her.
 
"Well, I was thinking earlier about this. In the park near by, there's an art exposition, that seems really interesting. What do you think?"
 
Himchan asked, chuckling inside his head, because as much as Hyosung tried to look confident, he could easily see that she didn't want to have to pick.
 
"That's great! Lets go!"
 
Hyosung got a bit exited, because on her way to work everyday, she'd pass by that park, and saw everything being set up there. She kept telling herself to go check it out, but always forgot.
 
"Ok. And later we can go for dinner."
 
Himchan casually mentioned, and turned in the direction of the park, waiting until Hyosung walked to his side, and both started going.
 
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
 
The exposition was as good as Hyosung thought it would be, and she also found out that Himchan was a really fun guy, who was easy to talk to. It didn't take long for her to get comfortable around him, and leave her shy side behind. They were now at a restaurant close by, eating a delicious dinner, while chatting happily.
 
"My grandma was the one who taught me how to bake my first cake. I think if it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have the dream I have today."
 
Hyosung smiled brightly, with happy memories filling her mind. She usually didn't tell others of that dream of hers, because in the past, no one believed she could do it, but Himchan was different. Not only he seemed interested in what she was saying, but he also said that one day she would get there. Only a few people had said that to her before.
 
"One day, I hope I can go visit my grandma in the country side, and give her a cake that came from my shop. She is the one who believes me the most, and I want to make her proud."
 
The woman went on, the smile never leaving her face.
 
"Oh god, I'm only talking about myself. What about you, Himchan-ssi? Any hidden dreams?"
 
Hyosung decided to turn the conversation to him, trying to know more about the man in front of her. Himchan smiled, and then looked up, seeming to be in deep thoughts.
 
"hmm... Not really. I can't really remember having such a big dream. For me the most important right now is to live happily."
 
He seemed so carefree, Hyosung loved that, she wished she had that in herself. Hyosung had grew up concerned about everything. Concerned about having a dream, about making that dream come true, about finding a way to live, finding a job, saving money, and so many other things. She worried too much. She wished she could just try to be happy for a bit.
 
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
 
"Good night."
 
Hyosung smiled shyly. The date was over, and since it was late, Himchan insisted on taking her home, so there they were, in front of her building's gate.
 
"I had a wonderful time. I hope we can do this again."
 
Himchan said, giving her the smile that had been taking her breath away for the whole night.
 
"Yes, so do I. It had been a long time since I had this much fun."
 
She answered, staring into his eyes. She wanted him to kiss her. The time was now, they were parting after a first great date, and she wanted a great kiss to seal the perfect night.
 
To her delight, Himchan easily caught the hint in her eyes, and gave a step forward. He leaned in slowly, almost stopping really close to her lips, making sure he understood what she wanted properly, and giving her time to back out, and as she didn't, he closed the space, connecting their lips, giving Hyosung her perfect kiss.
 
--__--__--__--__--__--__--
 
Hyosung slowly opened her eyes, her mind feeling a bit confused. She got out of her bed, giving a quick check to the clock to see if she was on time, and moved to her bathroom, to begin her everyday routine. She just had a very weird dream, where she went on a date with that boy that worked on the coffee shop. She blamed it on the romantic movie she watched before sleeping. It had been so  long since she last dated, that a silly movie got to her head. 
 
Changing her clothes, putting make-up, eating breakfast, and soon she was out the door. She clicked her tongue as she passed the first bus stop, wishing she could just go and take it, instead of trying to save every penny she got. But she had a dream to achieve. On her walking way, there was this coffee shop, one of a thousand others, from a big chain. It looked very adorable, as if it was a very unknown, but she knew it was big. All their shops looked like those small and comfortable shops, easily making people thing they were unique, when in fack they could find almost the same shop a few blocks away. Hyosung always bought a cappuccino to drink on her way. She choose that particular shop because the prices were cheaper than the ones around, she didn't really know why. As a bonus, she got to see the cute employee, 'Himchan', as his name tag said. By the time she was facing him, she could barely remember her dream, but she was sure he was very pleasant, even though she couldn't remember much. But that's how dreams are, now she has a faint memory of what it was, and by lunch time, it'll be completely out of her mind, replaced by paperwork or important meetings.
 
 
But just hopefully, a feeling will linger around, and allow someday, a dream come true.