beginnings

faded hearts

 

Jonghun didn’t like LED’s. He decided that he didn’t like them at all.

LED’s were in short, humanoids programmed for entertainment purposes. Not like those humanoids that are used to fulfill ual desires, no they weren’t there to serve those who favor hedonism above all. They were humanoids that were used to play instruments, sing, dance, act, to entertain people in a visual way. Of course there were those with sadistic minds who firmly believe that LED’s could be served in the ual manner, but they didn’t realize it would cause a breech within their CPU, causing them to overheat and obliterate their hard drive. No, they didn’t realize that.

Jonghun was a mere human, not a humanoid. It was apparent he apparently a flawless appearance, according to others, but he wasn’t a humanoid constructed to perfection. It was fortuitous that he was able to attain a “flawless” face and a well sculpted body, just a coincidence. He was born in a normal family as an only child, had a caring mother and father with everything that he could want. Except for freedom, he wanted to freely express himself within music, composing songs for big shot companies, but of course it wasn’t possible, his parents wanted him to be something more than a tiny composer. He wouldn’t get recognition for composing a beautiful song that could jerk someone into tears.

They wanted him to appear in newspapers for doing something big and successful, and he wasn’t really one who was jubilant over the idea. His parents greatly disapproved of his dream career, deeming it as something that would put obloquy upon himself.

He really didn’t want that.

It was that day he decided he wouldn’t be held back by something as pathetic as this. He was going to pursue his dreams whether his parents like it or not, sure he might not get the support he wanted, but it was something he wanted to do. If it were to end into a debacle it didn’t matter he just wanted to continue on with his dreams to being a composer. So he just left without a word, taking everything that held memories of home, his guitar, laptop, and course the little amount of money he had.

He ends up rooming with a guy named Lee Hongki who he thought was a middle-aged man who smoked cigarettes a little bit too much, but much to his shock it was some feminine looking guy around his age who just coincidentally had the voice of a middle aged man who smoked cigarettes a bit too much. They greet each other awkwardly (more like Jonghun introduced himself in the cheesiest way possible while Hongki introduced himself in a facetious manner), and eventually became best friends. They didn’t live together for over two years for nothing.

This is where Hongki discovers that Jonghun’s quiet demeanor was a mere outside layer of who he truly was. Once you start delving into his many layers, you discover that he was just a really awkward guy that has a spontaneous personality and liked to make overly mediocre jokes. He likes to be really touchy with his friends, and he was more like an overgrown child. 

Jonghun also discovers little things about Hongki, how they showed the same interest in music, how they’re both ridiculously cocky and that they go to the same university. Although they were practically in the same department, Jonghun hasn’t ever seen Hongki nor heard of him.

Well maybe he has, but he didn’t really pay attention.

One day Hongki decides to drag Jonghun to a club, it wasn’t unusual that Hongki went to clubs, he constantly went to them. It was just unusual for him to drag Jonghun along with him; he did know how much the brunette despised clubs.

“Those are LED’s,” Hongki says nonchalantly, waving a hand towards the dancing figures on stage.

Jonghun rests his chin his hands and gives the red-head a questioning look, “LED’s?”

“Live Entertainment Droids, well more like humanoids that can sing, play instruments and all that mumbo jumbo,” Hongki says, wiggling his fingers to emphasize ‘mumbo jumbo’ because obviously that needed to be emphasized. “They’re actually pretty cool, but I’m kinda sad that they’ve practically dominated the entertainment industry.”

Jonghun eyes the dancing figures decorated in baroque clothing, sequenced jackets matching with brightly colored pants and over the top styled hair. It was no wonder they’ve dominated the entertainment industry, all they’ve been has been about appearance and with these humanoids that are practically sculpted to be flawless, there really was no need for actual living humans to be in idol groups. They’re all just eye-candy to the public and items that bring in money for the companies and with these LED’s there really was no need to bring in and train people, too much money and too much work.

“Yeah,” Jonghun nods. “Why did you bring me here anyways?”

“Came here to see the model they’re letting me rent.”

Jonghun merely hums and takes a sip out of his martini before choking on it and looking at Hongki with wide eyes. “You what?”

“Renting an LED. What, is there something on my face?”

“But, they’re—you. Singing. Them?” The brunette manages to splutter out, causing the other to give a hearty laugh. “Take a chill pill man, it’s just renting it for a half a year,” Hongki says, smacking Jonghun hard on the back.

The brunette winces and rubs his back, “that’s still a long time.”

Hongki merely shrugs, “well I want to see if they’re really that talented, nothing can beat my singing. Nothing.”

“Are you sure? I know a lot of people who could beat your singing voice.”

“You actually know people?”

Jonghun feigns an expression of hurt, “that hurts. That really hurts, Hongki.”

Hongki merely shrugs, “never seen you hang out with anyone else but me,” he explains before glancing at the stage. The figures who were dancing rushes off stage and a trio take center. Hongki begins wildly hitting Jonghun and points at the stage. “That’s him! The one with the guitar, in the center right there! Wow he’s pretty cute.”

Jonghun looks at the stage, and there he was like the red-head said, guitar and in the center. It was completely breathtaking. He hasn’t seen anyone so beautiful, other than himself, in his life. Dark hair swept to the side framing his face perfectly, slanted almond shaped eyes with a mischievous glint, and thin lips curved into a confident smile, it couldn’t be possible that the guitarist was a humanoid. He was too human, his eyes held too much emotions, his body radiated cockiness and confidence. Weren’t humanoids show no emotions at all?

The boy—no, humanoid, nods at the drummer and the bassist, and they begin playing. Strumming the guitar softly, gently singing into the microphone, the dark-haired boy’s soft voice filled the quiet building. The performance soon ends much to Jonghun’s disappointment and everyone applauds politely (in Hongki’s case, giving a big cheer and clapping his hands excitedly, yelling out, “encore! Encore!”). The guitarist smiles softly at the crowd and bows, bidding farewell. The three rushes off the stage while playfully pushing each other with happy expressions

The applauds, mainly from Hongki, die down and everyone returns to their idle chatter. The building is once again filled with the simple jazz playing in the background covered with random tidbits of conversations.

Hongki whistles, “didn’t expect that it’d be that good.”

The brunette glances over at Hongki and nods. “Yeah,” he says quietly, still quite in awe over the performance, “are they supposed to be this blinding?”

The red-head looks at Jonghun and gives him a deadpanned expression, “you’re doing the cheesy thing again.”  Jonghun hits Hongki lightly on the head, “you’re missing the point, he, the LED you’re apparently renting, was just filled with—“

“Emotions?”

“Exactly,” he says, giving a sigh.

Hongki gives Jonghun a look that said ‘are you ing kidding me’ and hits him on the head. “Now you’re being creepy.” Hongki takes a swig from his bottle of beer. “You’re not the one renting a LED, why are you so worked up about it,” Hongki points out.

“I really don’t know.”

Hongki sighs and props his chin on the palms for his hands. “Knowing you, it’s love at first sight,” he says, swirling his bottle of beer.

Love at first sight was a ridiculous thing in Jonghun’s mind, there was no such thing as that, but Hongki always told him that he was the one who fell for someone right when his eyes set on them.  It could be possible, but there’s no way Jonghun would believe in such a silly thing. “That’s ridiculous, Hongki,” Jonghun says, waving it off, “why would I fall in love with a humanoid?”

Hongki shrugs, “love is unexpected, for all I know you could be in love with your guitar.”

Jonghun nods absentmindedly, “wait, what?” He scrunches his nose, “I am not in love with my guitar.”

“There’s no one else in this world that names their guitar, girlfriend number one,” Hongki muses.

Jonghun crosses his arms, “sure there are.”

Hongki laughs, and punches his friend’s arm. “You practically talk to your guitar,” Hongki clears his throat, “it’s okay baby, daddy’s going to take care of you,” he says in a high pitched voice before shuddering, he so was not going to do that again anytime soon. “Yeah, like that.”

“It’s not… that bad.”

“Sure, whatever.”  Hongki downs down the rest of his beer, “so does his singing beat my singing?”

Jonghun shrugs, “don’t know, maybe.”

Hongki’s eyes widen in shock before narrowing into a glare. “You are a horrible best friend,” he says, “I definately sing better than him.”

“You do, but I prefer his voice over yours,” Jonghun points out. “And I’m the only one who can deal with you and your, um, Hongki-ness.”

Hongki scoffs, “Heechul can deal with it perfectly fine, but seriously, ‘Hongki-ness?’”

Jonghun lips curves into an awkward, crooked smile, “what else could I say?”

Hongki huffs and punches his best friend’s muscular arms and Jonghun merely laughs. Hopefully the humanoid would be able to deal with their pathetic arguments, but why should he worry? It’s not like they have emotions, feelings or any thought processes, right? They were mindless robots sculpted to look like humans and act like humans, they wouldn’t have a unique personality unless it’s programmed within them. He shouldn’t care, it’s not like he’s the one wasting his money for one.