Chapter 7: Nervous

Seduction

 

Kim locked herself in her room the first chance she got. She didn't know what else to do. What else she could say.

Her husband had really come home. Had wasted no time in installing himself here after their first meeting in a dozen years. It all felt like some cruel joke on her. With the threat of Cyril revealing her art to the greater part of the world, why did Gerald have to come home now?

He was mistaken if he thought he could walk back into her life. If he thought he could control her every move.

There was nothing to do but leave. Which she'd been planning to do regardless of his presence.

She needed familiar, comfortable surroundings right now. She knew Gerald stayed in their London house on occassion when she was in the country. So whenever she was here, she always imagined his presence. Could even swear she felt him like some sort of ghost, even though he was flesh and blood. She'd never liked this house.

He opened her wardrobe and pulled out a few of the items she'd left at the beginning of the summer, tossing them on her bed. When she had nothing else to keep her hands busy, she sat in a heap of puffed-up skirts on the floor. She couldn't do this. She couldn't stay in the same house as Gerald. She didn't know how to talk to him. Didn't know how she was supposed to act around him. Didn't like how he accused her of taking lovers.

What would she do if he followed her back to Andersons Hall?

Why did he have to come back into her life now? When everything felt like it was falling apart. With Cyril threatening to expose her secrets. 

A knock at the door had her heart pumping faster in her chest. What if it was Gerald? She wasn't ready to see him again. Her nerves were on edge. Her emotions irrational. She felt light-headed, as though she'd faint if she stood. She couldn't move from where she sat on the floor wondering what she would do.

"Kim, love, let me in."

It was Kam.

Her shoulders slumped as she let out a long huff of air. She could deal with Kam. She could not deal with Gerald. Never Gerald. Unfolding her legs, she forced herself up to her feet and wobbled shaky legs over to the door.

The moment the door shut behind Kam, Kim relocked it. Her hands shook so hard, she thought for a moment she wouldn't be able to turn the knob.

"What happened?"

"He's here."

"I saw him sitting in the parlor as I came up." Her sister's arms should have been comforting as they came around her, but they didn't help with her shaking. "What has you in such a state?"

Kim shook her head. "I don't know what's wrong with me." Was she in some sort of shock after her confrontation with Gerald? Too much had happened in the past few days. Too many changes were taking place in her life. She didn't like it at all.

"You've had a bit of surprise running into him twice now. I'd fell the same way if my husband found me in a harlots' den."

"I thought . . . if he ever came home that I'd be happy. That he'd be like his father. Kind, loving. But he's nothing like I imagined. Nothing. He cares for no one but himself. And now with Cyril trying to ruin everything in my life. . ."

"Hush." Kam patted her hair, smoothing it away from her face. "Gerald will warm to you. Everyone does. Men are strange beasts. He's no different from any other men I've known. Give him time."

Kim stepped away from her sister and went to pull out the portmanteu from under her bed. " We have to leave. I can't stay here with him in this house. I'm not ready to face him yet."

"Do you want me to have Twinkle get ready? We can leave within the hour. Less if you like."

She nodded.

"I don't want to spoil your mood more, but you know he may follow us back."

"He won't."

He can't,  she thought. She wasn't ready to have her husband in her life. Not when she'd spent so many years alone. Not when she needed to sort out this sudden mess with Cyril.

If Gerald followed her, she didn't know what she'd do. How she'd hide what she'd done and made of herself over the years.

"I'll be back momentarily." Kam squeezed her hand and left Kim's bedchamber.

Kim felt silly running away. She felt like a young girl again. The one too shy to talk with him during their chaperoned courting. The girl too afraid to look him in the eye on their wedding day.

There were few good memories of Gerald from her youth. She'd come to the conclusion that he hated her then as much as he seemed to dislike her now. Some things never changed. 

Closing the latch on her bag, she waited for her sisters to join her.

Her pulsed still raced. Her hands were clammy. The longer she waited, the worse she felt. Then her sisters were there, leading her down the back stairs and to a waiting carriage.

Twinkle sat across from her, worry narrowing her eyes. "You're as white as a sheet, Kim."

"I'm fine," she said, even though it was a lie.

Would she be fine again? Would she adjust to her husband being in her life after she'd been independent and reliant on only herself for so long?

She closed her eyes and leaned her head against Kam's shoulder. The farther the carriage traveled, the calmer she felt. When she was home, she knew she'd feel like her old sel again. There was no chance of him following her, she told herself, He'd never wanted anything to do with her before. He'd not start pursuing her now.