Chapter 6: Speechless

Seduction

How can you miss that which you do not know?

 

The housekeeper opened the door instead of the butler. The older woman stared at him in shock. Gerald couldn't blame her. He'd not set foot in his town house since his father's death. The woman looked as though she'd faint from his presence.

"My lord," she said on stepping away from the doorway to admit him into the house. 

""Is my wife in residence?"

That had been on his mind all morning. Had she stayed in Town, or had she left for Anderson Hall at first light?

"Not at the moment, my lord." Gerald had always been careful to avoid staying at the town house whenever Kim was in residence. He had no plans to avoid her this time. "She's gone for a walk with Lady Kam and Miss Twinkle."

"Send your mistress into the parlor when she's back. And have the master bedroom set up for me. Mr. Lioni will occupy the guest room closest to the stairs."

"Right away, my lord."

The woman walked down the hall at a clipped pace to do as he bid. Jared came through the door the next moment.

"How long are we staying?"

"I haven't decided. We might travel north to my family estate." Much depended on his wife. He was looking forward to seeing her again. "If anyone knows I'm in London, there's nothing to stop them from calling on me. I can't see anyone with this obvious pain in my side. I won't reveal any weakness to potential enemies.'

"We should consider leaving London immediately."

"I'm in too much pain to be jostled around in any carriage. We'll go in a few days." His wife was sure to flee for their country home after seeing him. " You'll have to book pasage on the rail to Matlock. We'll take a carriage the rest of the way."

He hadn't been home to the estate since his wedding day. What would Emma think of his return? Strange that he'd not been  able to rid his mind of his wife since last night. She was turning into a damnable nuisance. This desire to see her baffled him. His business took precedence. Always had. Or is it always seemed in the past.

There was one important fact that remained: He wasn't a young man anymore. While his father had been alive, it hadn't much mattered whether or not Gerald had stuck around. The title, the estate, all the entailments had been his for three years now, and he'd done nothing with them.

He'd meant to come home to England after his father's death, but he'd been caught up in the politics of his trade. Once his business was sold, he'd have a great deal more time to do his title justice, and fill the role properly as the Earl of Berlou. Part of that meant making peace with his wife and securing the family seat for future generations of Andersons. And in securing his seat, he'd not be ed by one of her lovers. Seeing her last night had proved that he couldn't leave her to her own devices any longer.

He'd not been completely deaf to the gossip surrounding her over the years. There were rumored affairs. Actually, one rumored affair, with a man known for his proclivities where the fairer was concerned.

Gerald had settled into a  wingback chair, a glass of lemonade in his hand to stave off the heat of midday, when he heard the commotion from the hallway. His wife rushed into the parlor with her hat in hand , gloves still on from her walk.

Kim tipped her head down in a curtsy. Her black curls were loose and spilled around her heart-shaped face. When she looked back at him, he was stunned to silence by her appearance.

He hadn't gotten a good impression of her in the dimly lit room last night. Under the full brunt of the sunlight coming in through the open windows, she was a remarkable woman. Her high cheekbones, which were rosy from her exertions outdoors. Wide, round eyes that were as black as raw stared back at him in silent astonishment.

Had he struck his wife speechless? She's rendered him quite unable to find his tongue.

Her height lent her a litheness and agility that made him want to caress her as he would absently a cat. Even her form was pleasing with its curves at the bosom and hips. She was more beautiful than any of the more exotic women he'd spent company with. More striking than he ever remembered or imagined possible.

He stood, remembering his manners too late. Damn her ability to make him speechless.

"Kim."

"What are you doing here?" she said in a rush, nibling at her lower lip.

"This is my house." He didn't mean to bite out his words so harshly, but must she question his intentions?

"You never stay here when I'm in Town."

"It seems I need to look out for your welfare. Make sure you act as your position dictates." He meant it teasingly, but the words came out cross.

The color drained from her face. "What exactly does that mean?"

Damnation. He was making a bloody mess of this. "It means you are no longer allowed to venture out in the evening without telling me your whereabouts." There, that was said without an edge of anger.

"You have no right."

There was a fire about her that he hadn't expected. He was intrigued by this new contrast in her character. It was better than the meek obedient young woman she'd once been. Though that didn't mean he'd tolerate her traipsing around Town with a string of lovers in her wake.

"As your husband, I have every right." And he'd be damned if his wife ran wild, mingling with all sorts of degenerates. She was no longer free to do as she pleased if that was how she planned to go about her evenings.

"One could argue against the fact that you are any sort of husband. I'll continue doing as I've always done."

"No. You won't." He set his glass on the tall side table and took a step toward her. "It's within my rights to lock you in this house if it'll keep you from attending places not fit for a lady."

"I dare you to try."

He ignored her boldness. He would not be told no. "Don't tempt me."

She raised a brow and pursed her lips. " If you succeed in keeping me here, I will do everything in my power to make you regret coming home."

With that, she turned around and left the room, slamming the door behind her. He pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed. That was not the start he was hoping for.