Sticking Around

Sticking Around

 

A girl walks down the long corridor with luggage in tow and approaches room 9. For the next four years this room and its future inhabitants will be her home.  She looks up and sees her name on a construction paper shaped heart and next to it her future roommate’s name: Seo Juhyun. Taking out the key, she opens the door and enters the small room. Two beds perpendicular to each other face her with two desks side by side in another corner. She put her luggage on one bed and walked up to one of the windows. Staring out she could see other students moving into their dorms, kissing their parents goodbye, and starting their new journey just like her. With a sigh, she opened the window to let out the dorm room smell and watched the people pass by. Her ears perked up as she heard a turning of the doorknob.

 

“Oh! You are here. Hello. My name is Seo Juhyun. You must be Kim Hyoyeon. It is nice to meet you,” said the newcomer giving a full 90 degree bow.  

 

Looking at the girl bowing Hyoyeon bowed back and responded, “Hi. I guess I’m your new roommate.”

 

“Yes. I hope that we will find our time pleasant together, is it alright if I ask how old you are,” asked Juhyun.

 

“Uh…I’m 18. Why,” questioned Hyoyeon.

 

“Ah I figured this would happen, unnie. Please take care of me,” the girl bowed again.

 

“Unnie? Why are you calling me that? We don’t know each other’s birthdays yet,” replied Hyoyeon.

 

“I’m sorry unnie. You see I am 16. I skipped two grades so I am probably the youngest person in the dorm,” said the girl. “May I set my things away unnie?”

 

Dumbfounded by this new information, Hyoyeon looked at the girl in front of her. Never would she have imagined that she’d be paired up with a kid. The thoughts of going out and partying with her roommate just went down the drain.  This was going to be a long four years.

 

“Unnie,” asked Juhyun.

 

“Huh…oh…yeah you can set your stuff down. I’m gonna walk around for a bit and get a drink from the vending machine. You take all the space you need. I don’t have much,” Hyoyeon said.

 

Juhyun smiled and said, “Alright, unnie. Have a nice walk.” She continued to look at Hyoyeon until she left the room and began to unpack.

 

Hyoyeon walked around the outside of the dorm to collect her thoughts. She wanted this time away from home to be full of new experiences and freedom but now she’s been forced to babysit this girl. There was no way she could talk to her roomie about guys or go to the latest rated R movies together. Her foot kicked a rock on the ground and she watched it skid off on the sidewalk. With a sigh, she returned to the room. Her eyes met Juhyun’s desk which was filled with textbooks, notebooks, and one lone plushie of some weird frog like thing. Nothing else was up there, no posters, no Christmas lights. It was plain and that made her worry. She closed the door and looked at her roomie on the bed. She went to her luggage to start unpacking but the atmostphere was staggering.

 

To make things less awkward Hyoyeon asked, “So what music do you like?”

 

Juyhun looked up and answered quickly, “I only listen to classical music, unnie. It helps me concentrate on my studies.”

 

“Do you not like anything else,” Hyoyeon questioned.

 

“If other music is on I will listen to it but I’d rather focus on more important things unnie. This is college and it is of the utmost importance that we do everything to facilitate our learning capabilities,” the younger girl said and nodded her head.

 

Dumbfounded again Hyoyeon could only reply, “Ah.” She went back to unpacking her things and hanging up lights by the windows. There was no way she would let this kid spoil her dorm life.

 

“Unnie it’s 6pm. Would you like to go down and have dinner with me before the cafeteria closes? I want to make sure I am well digested before 10pm,” said Juyhun.

 

“That’s fine but what happens at 10pm,” asked Hyoyeon curiously.

 

“It’s my bedtime unnie. You have to get the proper sleep in order to revitalize your cells. Once you miss the window of sleep you’ll never get it back,” the girl said.

 

 “Okay…let’s just go downstairs and eat,” said Hyoyeon with a sigh as she walked towards the door.

 

They arrived at the cafeteria and settled down at one of the tables by themselves. Hyoyeon wanted to make this as smooth as possible so she decided to ask what Juhyun wanted to study for the next four years. When she looked up the girl in front of her hand this displeased expression. She checked on her shirt to see if she spilled anything but it was clear.

 

“Is something wrong,” asked Hyoyeon worriedly.

 

“You’re going to die unnie,” Juhyun stated calmly.

 

“Wait what,” said the older one with raised eyebrows.

 

“That burger unnie…if you eat it you will die,” repeated the girl now pointing at the burger. “It’s bad for you.”

 

Instantly, Hyoyeon’s hand met her face. This kid was worse than her own mother. Sighing she removed her hand and took a deep breath before she said, “Yes, I know it’s not the best thing for me but I can indulge myself every now and then. I know the consequences of eating too much junk food. I’m a dancer so I can take care of myself.”

 

Juhyun nodded and the two of them ate in silence after that. Hyoyeon watched the girl meticulously eat her food that is until she got to the sweet potato. For some reason there was a twinkle in the girl’s eyes as she slowly peeled away the skin to get to the sweet flesh. The girl’s cheeks flushed after taking the first bite and a simple smile appeared on her face.

 

Hyoyeon laughed to herself and thought, “She really is a kid getting excited over a little sweet potato. I have to keep remembering that she is still young. I was still a naïve joker back then so I’m sure she still has much to learn about the world.”  When Juhyun finished they went back to their room and finished up any last unpacking and both went to sleep from the exhaustion of the moving day.

 

For the next several weeks the two of them would follow a similar routine. Juhyun would wake up bright and early, open up all the windows and inadvertently wake up Hyoyeon. This forced Hyoyeon to go out for an early morning run while Juhyun studied for an hour before getting ready for class. By the time Hyoyeon would come back Juhyun leaves for class and they don’t see each other until that evening. Hyoyeon would come in later from dance class and would find Juhyun would be studying something for her international relations classes. From 6pm until 9pm, the girl would mysteriously disappear while Hyoyeon socialized with other people in the dorm at dinner. From 9pm to 10pm Juhyun prepared for bed and did a little reading before calling it a night. Hyoyeon would quietly come back and do some studying until midnight and go to bed.

 

Despite having to get up so early in the morning, the dorm life was pretty nice for Hyoyeon. She made new friends in her classes and her dorms easily and did a little partying on the weekends. Things were civil between her and Juhyun. Given the situation, she was content enough not to complain. However, that was not the same for her roommate.

 

One Friday afternoon dance class was relieved early and Hyoyeon returned to the dorm. When she entered she saw a startled Juhyun with tears rolling down her face at her desk. The girl immediately wiped the tears and went to her bed. Frowning, Hyoyeon set her bag down by her desk and walked over to the girl.

 

“Hey what’s wrong,” asked Hyoyeon.

 

“It’s fine unnie. I was just thinking about some things,” the girl quickly replied but didn’t turn around.

 

“No. I don’t think it is fine at all. I can still hear you sniffling,” the older girl said as she pulled Juhyun up to face her. “Now tell unnie what’s going on. Why are you crying?”

 

With a sigh Juhyun looks at Hyoyeon and answers, “I hate it here unnie.”

 

“Whoa, where did this come from all of a sudden,” Hyoyeon asked.

 

“We are here to study, not party around like we have all the time in the world unnie. People are not using their time efficiently and are ridiculing me for doing so. I have doing nothing to upset them unnie,” exclaimed Juhyun. She saw the older girl laugh. “I don’t see what is so funny unnie. Please explain yourself.”

 

 After calming herself down from the unintended outburst she pats the young girl’s hair and responds softly, “It’s because you are being a bit unreasonable.” Juhyun was about to protest when Hyoyeon put her finger on the young girl’s lips. “Shhh, let unnie explain.” The young girl nodded and listened. “I know you are young and have many things in life still to experience. However, life isn’t all about studying. You have to learn how to balance work with play you know? You determination is awesome, seeing how you can focus for so long but girl you need to live a little. You study about international relations stuff right?”

 

“Yes unnie,” said Juhyun.

 

“Well a big part of that is to learn how to communicate with others. That sometimes means you need to adapt and understand their viewpoints. You can’t be so stubborn in your ways. Loosen up a bit and relax some times,” said the older girl.

 

“I do relax unnie! I go down to the piano room and play every day,” protested Juhyun.

 

“So that’s what you do. See, none of us on the floor ever knew that because you are so secretive and always to yourself. I think that is a good hobby. Can I hear you play tonight? That is after we have dinner together with the rest of the floor,” said Hyoyeon.

 

“Are you sure that they would want me around unnie,” asked Juhyun cautiously.

 

Hyoyeon wrapped an arm around the girl and smiled. “Don’t worry Seohyun, unnie will watch over you from now on,” she said.

 

Juhyun looked at Hyoyeon confusedly and asked, “Seohyun?”

 

The older girl chuckled, “Yep Seohyun. From now on I’m calling you that. I won’t try and change you but you need to stop being so uptight.”

 

“Yes unnie,” the newly born Seohyun said. “Thank you for listening to me.”

 

Shaking her head Hyoyeon replied, “No need to thank me. I should have done this from the start.” She stands up and takes Seohyun’s hand before pulling her up. “Let’s eat now. I won’t leave your side. I promise.” Seohyun nodded and the two of them left the room to join the other girls on the floor.

 

At dinner, Hyoyeon introduced Seohyun to everyone on the floor and made sure she didn’t insult their food. It was awkward for them all at first but by the end of dinner they relaxed more with each other. The girls found it interesting that such a young girl could have that much determination and passion about learning. Hyoyeon was really good at selling Seohyun’s strengths which made the younger girl more at ease. When dinner was over they both went to the piano room.

 

“Are you sure you want to stick around unnie? It’s nothing special about me playing,” said Seohyun.

 

“I’m curious to see what you do. Go ahead. Lay it on me,” Hyoyeon says as she smiles and sits on the floor.

 

Seohyun takes a deep breath and begins to play slowly. Hands glide across the piano keys creating a soothing melody that flows throughout the whole room. Lips part as Hyoyeon is transported into another world filled with warmth and tranquility. Hyoyeon’s eyes close as she goes along the musical journey. The rhythm fills her body as Seohyun’s musical soul wraps herself, encouraging her to dance. She stands and begins to perform intricate movements to the music. Two minds were driven to come together as one through artistic expression. When the music stopped they both looked at each other. There was an instant connection.

 

“Unnie,” asked Seohyun as she saw Hyoyeon approach her fast.

 

Hyoyeon took both of the younger girl’s hands and whispered, “Be my partner.”

 

Confused the girl asked, “Partner? I don’t understand.”

 

“Perform with me. You are really good. I couldn’t help but dance when I heard you play. It’s like it called to me. How did you keep this hidden for so long? You are really talented,” exclaimed Hyoyeon.

 

“My minor is in music unnie, piano specifically. It helps me relax and express myself,” Seohyun said.

 

“That’s even better. We both have to do at least a performance a year. We can do it together. Besides, the dorm has a talent show for the end of the month as a mid quarter ice breaker. We can do it together and it can help others see this side of you. If I’m this floored I’m sure the others would be too and just maybe it’ll be easier for you,” suggested Hyoyeon.

 

“Alright unnie but what song will we use,” the girl asked.

 

With a smirk Hyoyeon replies, “I have the perfect one. It’ll challenge you a bit but I think it’ll help you feel the music and the power of my dance.”

 

Every day when Hyoyeon was finished with class Seohyun would meet her and they would practice the song and dance piece. Seohyun had difficulties at first, not playing the song but rather feeling it since it was a new style of music. Hyoyeon would help her by playing it back on CD and dancing to it. As Seohyun watched, she picked up on what Hyoyeon was feeling. The dancer put her in a trance as she watched what seemed like poetry in motion.

 

Seohyun thought to herself, “Was this what unnie was like when she heard me play that first night? It’s like watching a dolphin freestyle in water. Unnie’s movements are so fluid like the music is an extension of her own body. There is power in each motion though. I can’t quite comprehend but it’s like magic. Why am I feeling this way?” She continued to watch the older girl with careful detail. When the music finished her eyes met with Hyoyeon’s and she blushed slightly.

 

“You were starting again,” grinned Hyoyeon slightly glistening in sweat.

 

 “Your dancing still amazes me unnie. The way you music transport you to another world…it’s indescribable,” Seohyun replied.

 

Hyoyeon knocked the younger girl in the head lightly and said, “Come back to earth silly. So you think you can do that for me? Can you make me move like I did just now?”

 

“I will try,” said the girl.

 

Suddenly Seohyun was in a headlock and getting noogies with Hyoyeon’s fist. The older girl wouldn’t let up and said, “Wrong answer.”

 

“Okay unnie! I’ll make you move beautifully! Just let me go,” exclaimed the struggling girl.

 

Smiling Hyoyeon released the girl and ruffled her hair. “That’s what I wanted to hear. Now let’s start from the top. Every time you mess up that’s a pizza date we have to go on,” said Hyoyeon chuckling.

 

“Unnie! That’s so unfair! It’s not healthy either,” exclaimed Seohyun.

 

“Then you better not mess up much then or we’ll be two fat roommates,” teased the older girl.

 

Pouting, Seohyun faced the piano and began playing. Hyoyeon smiled to herself and started to dance. Even though the practices didn’t go on any longer than one hour it felt like they both fulfilled something greater. In the end, their bond was slowly developing into something that they secretly wished would last a lifetime.

 

The day finally came for the dorm talent show, which was rented out in a small auditorium. Everyone’s act so far was impressive. It was a gold mine for any scout who wanted to seek new and fresh talent. The last set for the night was the two of them and Seohyun’s nerves were shaky.

 

“Hey, take a deep breath Seohyun,” Hyoyeon said as she placed a hand on the younger girl’s shoulder. “Think of it like how we were in the practice room. If you don’t go through with this I’ll make you eat two double cheeseburgers with extra greasy fries on the side.”

 

“Unnie! I’ll diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie,” shouted Seohyun in protest.

 

“Then you know that there are worse things in the world that performing right now,” said the older girl with a smirk.  “Let’s go!” She took Seohyun’s hand and they both walked to the stage.

 

Hyoyeon guided Seohyun to the piano and gave her hand one last squeeze before going to the middle of the stage. Sitting down Seohyun took one deep breath and started playing the first few chords in Fame. The progression was slow at first, with Hyoyeon’s movements were controlled. As the song built up, the moves became more and more powerful until finally when the chorus started the dancer leapt into the air. A surge of energy exploded from both girls as the liveliness of the chorus took them both over. It was like they were in their own world, dancing and playing for themselves but drawing in the crowd as well. People started to stand up and clap while others were in shock from seeing this shy girl playing the music with so much soul. When the song finished everyone was on their feet clapping and cheering for the two. Seohyun looked back at Hyoyeon as the older girl approached and took her hand.

 

Hyoyeon leaned in and whispered, “I’m proud of you. Now everyone can see the shine I saw. Don’t be afraid to show it more. I’ll be with you the whole time.” She smiled at the girl and dragged her to the middle of the stage to take a bow.

 

Seohyun whispered back, “Thank you unnie. Let’s do our best with our next performance.”

 

“So you’ll be my partner then,” asked Hyoyeon with a smile.

 

“Of course unnie. This was really fun,” said Seohyun returning the smile.  She wrapped an arm around Hyoyeon’s waist and the two walked off the stage.