Be The Better Man

Be The Better Man

You let out a small groan as you bumped against the wall while trying to put on your shoes. “Jagi? Where are you going?” Seunghyun’s head peeped around the corner of the hallway, confusedly staring at you. “I told you, I’m going jogging.” You replied with a smile while you tied your shoelaces. “Aha.” He said and his head disappeared again. Smiling to yourself you got up and turned around to open the door. “Are you going alone?” his voice sounded through the apartment, emphasizing the last word. You sighed; you expected this question sooner or later. “Aniyooo…. Jensun is joining me, remember? He’s the boy that lives upstairs.” You replied. Within seconds his head reappeared, his eyes more narrow than ever. “Him again?” he said coldly. “Neh, ‘him again’. He’s a friend of mine Seungri, don’t be like that.” You answered, hands positioned on your hips to show your annoyance with him. “Ah yes your friend. The boy who repaired your dishwasher for free…” he said, you nodded. “And helped you set up that new desk you bought…for free. Oh and didn’t he also fixed your blow-dryer and watered your plants when you were gone for a week? What a friend.” He grinned. You instinctively glared at him; you knew perfectly what he was implying here. Sure, it didn’t go unnoticed that Jensun sometimes tried a bit too hard, but you never – not even once – accepted any of those moves and simply ignored them. You were positive Jensun was aware of the fact that you loved Seunghyun and that your feelings wouldn’t change anytime soon.

“Yes. He’s a good friend and that’s all.” You said seriously, walking closer until you were standing in front of your boyfriend. “Are you jealous?” you teased, looking up at him. A huge smile came onto his face. “Me? Nope. It’s not like a dude like him would ever be able to compete with me anyway.” he replied, looking rather smug. Automatically you giggled and pecked his lips. “Of course,” You agreed. “He’s not even close to the almighty Seungri of Big Bang.” You joked, going along with the ‘I’m so awesome’ attitude he was putting up. You knew all too well that he was rather jealous when it came to your male friends; not that he would ever say it out loud. “I’ll see you soon.” You said, kissing his lips again before you turned around and let out a squeal when he smacked your . “Hurry! I miss you already!” he yelled after you.

******************************

About an hour later you opened the door of your apartment, Jensun following in closely after you. “Jagi, I’m glad y- oh.” Seunghyun’s sentence fell into nothingness the moment he saw the other man coming in after you. “Annyeong Seunghyun-ah.” Jensun said with a smug smile, you knew he adored the fact that he was Seunghyun’s hyung. “Annyeong.” he replied shortly, giving you a glare. “I…I uhm remembered the fact that my shower broke down this morning and Jensun offered fixing it.” you admitting hesitantly. “Ah I see.” Your boyfriend said, looking rather pissed. “Your bathroom is this way, right?” Jensun said all of a sudden, obviously unfazed by Seunghyun’s cold behavior and the awkward atmosphere. “Neh.” You said, following after him after you mouthed ‘sorry’ to Seungri. He quickly followed the two of you; naturally he didn’t plan on leaving you two alone again.

Moments later Jensun was busy twisting and turning his adjustable spanner in hopes of fixing your shower, this while Seunghyun kept a close watch on him and you stood there in silence. “So Seungri, you have no dance practice today?” Jensun chuckled; you felt like groaning out loud. You knew Jensun found it all too amusing that your boyfriend was an idol. After all, he was the type of guy that was the exact opposite and found everything that had anything to do with dancing and singing for and mama’s boys - as he liked to put it. Seunghyun on the other hand , was rather convinced that people who had such an attitude and narrow-minded perspective on the idol life where simply people who probably tried singing and/or dancing, failed miserably and had no ‘swag’ to make up for the lack of talent. Therefore they started to hate everything that had anything to do with it and tried to compensate it with tough talk and muscles that were way too big for their own bodies. And now those beliefs were about to clash in your bathroom.

“Aniyo, we have a break right before we do our world tour.” Seunghyun said, trying to sound as calm as possible, but you could see it was hard. “And you, don’t you have to pick up dirt from the ground somewhere?” he replied, knowing very well Jensun used to work as garbage man. You drew in a short breath as you saw the other man turn around and face your boyfriend with narrowed eyes and a cold glare. “Aniyo, in fact I’m currently in the running to become a fitness instructor somewhere. Maybe you should give that a try, grow some muscles.” He replied, flexing his muscles. Seunghyun did the same and you had to admit it looked less threatening, though that fact was something you were grateful for. You preferred men who were strong without showing it off and without looking like they could pick up a cow or something with their bare hands. Your boyfriend was strong, no doubt about that, but he didn’t need to show that off. Anyway, it seemed this was going into the wrong direction.

Something had to happen to keep them from going at each other’s throat; something that would help to get rid of the frustration, yet in an acceptable way. Then it hit you: jogging. “Guys, Guys! I have a great idea, why don’t the three of us go jogging tomorrow? I’m sure it’ll be fun!” you said happily, knowing for a fact that they would both see the opportunity you were giving them. The two of them immediately backed down and seemed to relax more. “Sounds like a good idea, I’ll be ready.” Seungri said. “Me too.” Jensun replied. “And your shower’s fixed.” He replied before he went off right away.

*********************************

The next day was nerve wrecking. You found yourself fearing for the worst and the consequences of a possible fight were even worse in your head. It would be your fault if he had to go on stage with a blue eye.  Or worse; that the tour got canceled because he was in the hospital. Or what if things got even more out of hand and something really terrible happened? Oh god no, you didn’t even want to think about that. ‘Think positive! Think positive!’ you told yourself, wanting to hope for the best. Maybe the two of them cooled down already and won’t be fighting at all. It could turn out to be a nice jog along the park, right? You weren’t all too convinced of it, but you left with both of them anyway, ready to face whatever was about to come.

What you expected to happen right away seemed to disappear within seconds as both men greeted each other more politely than ever. Maybe thinking positive did help after all? Running between the two of them even felt pleasant. There was silence and a calm atmosphere that helped you focus on your breathing; in and out; in and out. But then… “So, do you go jogging very often Seungri?” Jensun asked out of nothing, you shot him a warning glare but it seemed he missed it. “Depends, I’m mostly too busy for that.” Was the reply from your boyfriend; he was trying to stay calm, like he promised. “Right, dance practice and singing and stuff. Must be tiring.” Your neighbour replied in a very disrespectful tone that even made you feel flares of annoyance. “Actually it requires a lot of stamina, quick reflexes and a largerlung volume, basically things that make sure we can keep going for a long time, unlike those who just have outbursts of power.” Seunghyun replied, shooting a glance at Jensun’s muscles. He had a point. Although Jensun worked out, you knew for a fact that when it came to that, he wasn’t that good. He was strong and could lift weights, he was fast when he had to sprint; but jogging for a long time wasn’t his thing. After a while he would lose his force. Though, as expected, Jensun wasn’t able to admit that fact.

“So what you’re saying is that you think you can keep going on longer than me?” It was an ice-cold replied, filled with the thrill of challenge. “Neh, exactly what I’m saying.” Seungri said. You sighed loudly; you just knew they couldn’t keep this stupid thing to themselves. Why couldn’t they just accept the fact that they were different from each other?  “I can’t wait to see that.” Jensun grinned and picked up his pace. Instantly Seungri did the same. Obviously you weren’t planning on letting the two of them go off just like that and decided to do the same, and soon the three of you were going faster and faster. Though it started somewhat gentle, giving you room to follow them and be able to keep an eye on everything.

“Did I tell you I can lift 80kgwith one hand?” Jensun asked out loud, not even looking at the both of you. “Did I tell you I sometimes go days without sleep and still have to practice for 18 hours and preform for 3 hours?” Seungri said. You couldn’t believe they still had to show off while running like this. How did they even have the breath for that? You certainly didn’t… And faster and faster they went. Soon the worry and fear of what might happen if they kept going like that, made you lose your focus. Your breathing got ragged, your running became a whole lot more uncoordinated and your heartbeat was going rapidly faster than it usually did. And faster they went… You couldn’t do this anymore. Sharp jabs of pain were penetrating the upper half of your body, making you cringe in pain and grab for your chest. Instantly you slowed down, black spots ruining your vision; you had to stop now. You drew in long breaths, hearing how their footsteps faded away as you sank down in the grass in hopes of catching your breath again. Or did the footsteps come closer? Hu?

“Jagiya? Jagiya, are you okay.” Seunghyun’s worried voice called out for you. “I’m…okay, I’m just… out of…breath.” You managed to say, looking up with a weak smile. You were glad to see the worried look upon his face. “Here, drink some water.” He said, offering you a bottle as he sat down next to you. “Hey little world star, you give up or what!? HA!” Jensun’s voice called from across the field. To your surprise Seunghyun jumped straight to his feet. You feared he would go off again, knowing that if he did it would piss you off, but instead a whole series of curse words escaped his mouth as he yelled across the field. “Don’t you think I’ll ever let you near her again, you arrogant, self-centered, rude piece of !” he ended before he plopped down next to you again. “Stupid, faced…” Seungri started to mumble a few words you didn’t quite caught and a giggle escaped your lips. “What are you laughing at?” he questioned, looking at you. “You sure told him.” You chuckled. “Well he was being an with his stupid competitive . He didn’t even notice you were in trouble! What kind of friend is that!” he snapped. “As a matter of fact, you accepted that ‘competitive .” You pointed out. What followed was a loud sigh from his side. “I know…I just… You’re not comparing him to me, are you?” he exclaimed. “Aniyo, I’m just saying that you also participated.” You replied. “That’s only because I was…”… “Jealous” you finished his sentence instantly, smiling at him. “Aniyo! I was not!” He said in reaction to your words. “Oh come on, admit it.” you laughed. “Well he asked for it and I…You.. But I can’t. Okay fine!” he failed to defend and let himself drop down on his back in the grass. “There we go.” You laughed, joining him and kissing his cheek.

“I just couldn’t stand the fact that you were friends with this dude. He’s so…”… “full of himself, a total jackass and way to competitive for his own good?” you once again continued. “Neh, exactly! So why did you hung with him?” your boyfriend asked, seemingly pleased with the fact that you just insulted Jensun. “Because when he was around me he didn’t do that. Although now he can definitely, pardon my language, off.” You shrugged. “Of course!” Seunghyun agreed happily. “He just left you here and didn’t care!” Seunghyun said as if that was the most obvious reason. “That too, but mostly because he’s way too disrespectful towards the love of my life.” You smiled, watching his face look confused for a second before he got it. “Oh.” He managed to bring out before a smile flashed across his face. “See I told you no one could compete with me. I am the almighty love of your life after all.” He grinned, pulling you into a tight embrace.