Let's Not

Let's Not

 

 

September 17, 2010; 4:35 pm

 

-Sunny’s POV-

 

…krrriiiinnnggg. Krriinngg…

 

My phone has been ringing for more than 30 minutes now… I’m just staring at it. His name flashing on the screen… LEE SUNGMIN.

 

He is calling…

 

How dare he call me? Has he already forgotten what he did to me? I know. It’s been 5 months since he sent me that email. That damn email that ripped my heart to pieces. He broke up with me with an email, how’s that??! ..And now you’re calling?! Do you actually expect me to answer that phone?! Yes, I admit… I still haven’t gotten over him. I still haven’t forgotten that stupid guy who broke my heart... And I can still clearly recall that email I received 5 months ago which said…

 

Sunny-ah, I’m sorry. I had to do this. I can’t look at you crying so it’s better to say it through this. Sunny you know I loved you… I really did. But I’m really sorry we had to end this way. I always act strong but I’m a cowardly man who cannot protect you forever and left.

Don’t love someone like me again. Meet someone who loves you so much and can’t live a day without you… please… I hope that you’ll be happy…

 

… I stopped right there. There were more but I can’t read any longer. Tears were rolling down my cheeks. How could you Sungmin?! You promised me. I cried and cried… After that email he never contacted me anymore. He just disappeared.

What’s worse is that I keep recalling the times we were together. Was it all lies Sungmin? The 2 years we spent together… was it all lies?? When you gave me a 100 heart origami when we celebrated our 100th day, when you ran with me during prom night and kissed me in the rain, when you first told me that you loved me… was it all lies??

 

I remember that day, he called me. I looked back and saw him running behind me. He said, “Why you keep on wearing pigtails, you’re already in senior high! You love wearing pink clothes, does it even suit you? You always hang around with Taeyeon and Jessica, you’re not even as cool as them!” I was shocked and confused. I opened my mouth to ask why are you saying these all of a sudden but he held my hands and started to look me straight in the eyes. “I don’t care whether you’re in senior high or not, he said, you look cute with pigtails… always. Yeah maybe you’re not as cool as your friends… well that’s because you’re cooler and much prettier than them. Oh. And have I told you I love pink so much?” I stared at him with my mouth hanging open. I wasn’t able to say anything. Then he said… Sunny, I want you, I need you… I love you. I’m guessing everyone around us was screaming like crazy but I never paid any attention to them. It was as if I never really heard them at all. At that time it seemed like time just suddenly stopped… Like it was just him… and I. Alone.

 

At that time, I thought everything was real.

 

For a moment I felt all these were true. And for a moment, I believed him.

 

And maybe that is the reason why I’m hurt now. That stupid lie. And the worst part of it was… I. Believed. Him.

 

 

… Suddenly the phone stopped ringing. Well, it has stopped like 6 or 7 times before but this time it doesn’t ring again. I picked it up and it said 1 Voice Message Received.

I played it. I expected his usual calm voice to pop through my eardrums but this time it’s different…

More like a… a girl… sobbing…

 

She cried a few seconds then finally she started talking. In between sobs, she said…

 

 

Sunny, this is Sungmin’s mom. He has been calling you for like forever but you never picked up. He wanted you by his side… by his death bed. Sunny I want you to know that he just died a few minutes ago from leukemia. He held his phone until the last minute, hoping you would answer his calls. Remember the email he sent you, for 5 months he kept waiting for a reply…”

 

Upon hearing that, I ran to the computer, opened the email which I realized that I have never really finished reading. The last paragraph stated…

 

 

Sunny, I have a disease. I can’t do anything and it hurts me a lot to leave you. You are the best thing that’s ever been mine. My heart that loves you and my eyes that looked at you are still here. I’m sorry if I can’t keep my promise anymore. It’s not my choice. Destiny may not always by our side sunny but I will always stay by your side. I love you. And it will never ever change.

 

I don’t believe it. I threw my phone on the bed and started crying. Crying like I have never done before… No. This is all a dream right? Somebody please wake me up! Sungmin~! Sungmin~!!!