Chapter 65 - NEVER

Chance Happenings Foreseen Meetings

“Where are we going?” Steph asked as Daesung drove quickly through town. She had been legally out of the hospital for about a week, suddenly Daesung wanted to take her somewhere even though she was ordered on bed rest for a few weeks.
“We need to go somewhere.” He mentioned in monotone as she looked over from her seat, unsure as how she should take the answer she had received. Unable to fight him, she ignored the nagging feeling in her stomach and stared ahead to see that they were drifting further and further away from the town and towards the ocean. It was quiet the whole way there, Daesung would hum random tunes here and there before it grew quiet again. They were startled by the sound of Steph’s phone blaring in the backseat.

“Aish.” She muttered in annoyance to the high heart rate she just received before she reached back for her bag. Quickly placing it into her lap she pulled out the phone before flipping it open and to her ear.

“Hello?” She asked looking up through the windshield.

“Ya! Where are you?!” A voice shouted into her ear causing her to groan and pull it away.
“Geez, are you trying to make me deaf?” Steph asked annoyed adjusting her sunglasses.

“Don’t change the subject, you’re supposed to be at home, in BED!” The voice shouted like a panicked mother in law causing Steph to massage her temples.

“Don’t blame me, Dae said we had to go somewhere today.” Steph muttered side eying the man next to her.

“Geez, that boy wants to die, doesn’t he?” The voice muttered causing Steph to chuckle.

“Well I’m sorry I’m not home, in BED.” Steph teased as the voice sighed.

“Steph, when you get back, mother to mother, we need to talk about a few things.” Hoku mentioned causing Steph to chuckle.
“I was just thinking the same thing. I need some pointers from you.” Steph jokingly responded as Hoku smiled.

“As soon as you get back, we’ll go out to dinner, alright?” Hoku asked as Steph smiled.

“Alright, I don’t know how long we’ll be where we are, but I’ll call to schedule.” Steph explained before they hung up.

“Who was that?” Daesung asked as Steph put the phone onto the dashboard.

“Hoku was looking for me, she went to the apartment to check on me.” Steph explained as Daesung nodded before they pulled up on a road covered with houses.

“Where are we?” Steph asked leaning forward and looking out the windshield to the houses.

“This is my house.” He explained pulling the car in front of one of the many causing Steph’s eyes to shoot open.
“Why are we here?” She asked nervously looking over to Daesung who turned off the car before looking to her.

“If we’re going to get married soon, I need to tell them.” He explained as she groaned hitting her head on the headrest.

“They. Hate. Me.” Steph explained slowly as Daesung sighed, reaching over to hold her hand.

“I’m not asking for their blessing, because honestly I don’t care, we’re here to just let them know.” Daesung mentioned comforting as Steph sighed in defeat.

“Fine.” She muttered as he leaned over, kissing her cheek. Daesung helped Steph out of the car, shutting the door before wrapping his arm around her shoulder.

“Ready?” He whispered as she stared at the open gate in front of her.

“Do I have a choice?” She whined as he smiled, kissing her temple before leading her up the path. They reached the wooden door as Daesung turned to Steph.

“It’ll be alright, don’t listen to anything they say, alright?” He mentioned as Steph sighed loudly before nodding. Daesung turned to the door in front of him hesitantly, before finally knocking. It was a while before they actually heard the locks on the door being brought apart before the door was pulled open showing Daesung’s shocked mother standing there in her apron.

“Daesungie.” She whispered surprised as Daesung bowed quickly to her mother before Steph followed soon after. His mother’s eyes shot over to the woman with Daesung only frustrating her. She shut the door a bit, leaving enough space for her body to stand in before she looked to the pair.

“What are you doing here?” His mother asked never letting her eyes drift to the woman with her son.

“Omma, we have something we need to tell you and Appa.” Daesung spoke seriously as she narrowed her eyes to the young woman.
“Appa was about to leave for work, best make it quick.” She explained with venom dripping off her words as the pair scurried into the warm house. Steph kept close to Daesung’s side, her hand in his, while they stood in the living room awkwardly.

“Sit, I’ll get Appa.” She muttered pointing to the couch before she left around the corner.

“I have a bad feeling about this.” Steph whispered as she sat closely to Daesung’s side on the couch.
“It’ll be alright, just ignore anything they say.” Daesung whispered into her hair before kissing her temple. They listened to the slight conversation upstairs before 2 sets of footsteps descending the stairs to their location. The moment both parents came into view, the couple shot off the couch and bowed to Daesung’s father who just stared at their locked hands, displeased. He ignored their welcome and walked over to his lounge chair where Daesung’s mother stood closely behind, staring at the pair.

“Your Omma told me you have something you want to tell us?” Daesung’s Appa spoke in his serious deep voice as Daesung nodded looking to both his parents.

“We’re getting married.” Daesung said quickly as both his parents stiffened at the words before looking over to Steph who just nervous hung her head.

“What have you done to my son?” His Omma spat pointing an accusing finger in Steph’s direction.

“You’re not getting married, I forbid it.” His Appa said with authority standing to hold back his enraged wife.

“You don’t belong with my son! Just leave him alone! You’re only after his money you gold digger!” Daesung’s Omma shouted angrily at Steph who just flinched, keeping her head low while Daesung held her to his side.

“I am going to marry her. I didn’t come here to ask for your permission or even your blessing, only to tell you the news.” Daesung growled as his mother began bringing on the tears.

“Are you happy boy? Bringing your mother to tears.” His Appa snapped holding his crying wife.

“How in debt are you? We’ll give you whatever amount, just leave our son alone.” His mother begged as Steph lifted her head, hesitantly connecting her eyes with his mothers.

“She’s pregnant.” Daesung spat suddenly as the room grew quiet. Daesung hesitantly took a step forward, stepping in front of Steph to keep her out of harm’s way if something were to go amiss.

“She’s what?” His father growled while his mother quickly wiped her tears.

“She’s pregnant, we’re going to get married, and raise the baby.” Daesung whispered feeling Steph’s hands clench onto the back of his shirt.

“YOU LITTLE !” His mother shouted running over as Daesung quickly caught his mother.

“YOU GET KNOCKED UP JUST SO MY SON HAS TO SUPPORT YOU!!!” She shouted thrashing in Daesung’s arms as Steph stumbled back.

“WE WILL NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE LIKE YOU INTO OUR FAMILY!!” She shouted one last time, Steph gasped in surprise, feeling her heart drop as she quickly her heels and ran out the front door, away from the house. It was too much for her to take.

 

“STOP!” Daesung shouted at his parents as they flinched and looked over to his angry face.

“I don’t care what you think about me, what you say about me, but never, and I mean NEVER, speak to her or about her that way!” He snapped into his parents face before leaving the premises in search of her. Of course, he expected something like this to happen, but not this outrageous.