POPO STATION! UH, OHS. & TROUBLE'S COMING!

You Never Know Until You Try!

 

*YOUR POV*

 

Huffing and puffing, Odagiri, Takeda, and I arrived at the station completely out of breath, my ordeal with Kikwang completely forgotten.

“What did those idiots do now?” Odagiri asked Yabuki, who shook his head.

“They were fooling around and being complete idiots,” Yabuki sighed. “They borrowed a bike from Class 3-A’s Honda,” he tilted his head in the poor boy’s direction, “and started riding around. The police flashed their lights and, of course, Tsuchiya and Hyuuga ran. They were caught and accused of robbing a bike.”

“Didn’t you explain to them what had really happened?” I asked, exasperated.

“They saw our uniforms and took the two straight here. No questions asked,” Yabuki growled. “They borrowed the bike, right Honda?”

“Well… they told me that they would beat me up if I didn’t…” the boy said slowly. Yabuki took a threatening step in his direction, but I held out an arm.

“Chill, boy. We have bigger problems right now.”

“What?” He looked at me, annoyed.

I pointed at the fuming figure in the doorway. “Her.” The boys followed my finger and flinched instantly as they recognized the person.

“Yankumi…” Yabuki pushed me in front of him.

“What. Happened?” Clearly she was not happy. Oh, that’s right! She was going out somewhere with that teacher from Momo High that she has a crush on… and I guess we interrupted that meeting.

Yabuki explained the situation over again and I noticed Yankumi’s anger shifted away from us and onto the police.

“They didn’t let you explain?” She exclaimed, marching into the station. After much huffing, she flopped down into a chair with a dangerous aura around her.

“They are under investigation,” a policeman announced impatiently as Yankumi approached the desk again with us behind her.

“Then hurry up!” Yabuki growled under his breath.

Yankumi turned around and shushed him. “Don’t aggravate the okami!”

I sighed. Okami was the slang that the Yakuza used for ‘Police’. She froze when she realized her mistake and quickly brushed over it.

“You have to be polite and courteous to them,” she instructed.

Just then a man sauntered into the room, an arrogant air filling the space around him as he stood in front of our teacher, with his badge announcing to the world that he was a detective. “You’re their teacher?”

“Yes. Please release my students back to me, they are innocent,” Yankumi bowed.

The man snorted. “You honestly believe them? Wow, how many times did they beat you up?” He snickered. “Listen here, little lady. Your class is notorious for being bad. That’s just the way they are. I wouldn’t be surprised if too see them here tomorrow.”

Yankumi stiffened and we knew the man had gone too far. The three boys grabbed her and held her back.

“I thought we’re not supposed to aggravate the okami?” Odagiri whispered.

She shrugged them off and turned to smile at the detective. Seeing that smile she gave him sent a shiver up my spine as I recognized the anger hidden behind it. “Anyways, you have no evidence. And the witnesses here all say that the two kids really did borrow the bike. So now, if you would be so kind to, please return my students to me.”

“Just wait, Sensei. They’ll be so out of control one day that you’re going to beg me to lock them up,” he scoffed as he led Tsuchiya and Hyuuga out of the interrogation room.

Odagiri took my hand in his, whispering soothing words in my ear as he saw my fist tighten. Anger storming inside of me, I walked stiffly out of the station with my friends.

Seeing how Tsuchiya and Hyuuga were feeling down, and seeing how the rest of us were pissed, Yankumi decided to take us all to Kuma’s restaurant.

“Oi Teddy Bear,” I greeted my friend happily.

“The gang’s here, once again,” Kuma grinned.

We sat down at a large table and Yankumi ordered the thin sliced pork noodles for all of us, declaring that it was all on her. And of course, no one refused.

“Don’t worry about what happened,” Yankumi chirped cheerfully.

“Not like we were worried,” Tsuchiya replied as he took a bite.

Hyuuga nodded. “This stuff happens all the time.”

“One day we might as well do something bad, seeing how they always blame us,” Tsuchiya grumbled.  

“Idiots,” I mumbled. Only Odagiri heard me, and he choked with laughter on a noodle. “You okay?” I asked, pretending to be innocent. He laughed and choked even more.

“I’m glad you guys get to come home though,” Yankumi said sincerely.

Suddenly Yabuki reached over and dropped a piece of pork into her dish. “Sorry for bothering you,” he muttered. She blinked at him, surprised.

“Is this a … thank you?” She asked incredulously.

“Urusai!” He said, his face turned toward his bowl. (Urusai literally means 'loud', but when used like this it means 'shut up'.)

“Well… mine too!” Hyuuga placed his piece of pork into her bowl and Tsuchiya and Takeda followed suit. Everyone’s eyes stared holes into Odagiri’s skull. His piece of pork was in his chopsticks, on the way to his mouth. He pouted and then finally gave up, dropping his piece into our teacher’s bowl as well.

“Thanks!” Yankumi looked extremely happy. I rolled my eyes and gave her mine. “Oh?”

“That’s a thank you for teaching Kuma, Shin, Uchi, Noda, and Minami their manners.”

“Speaking of that,” Yankumi tapped her chin thoughtfully, “and I know you’re going out with Odagiri and all that, but what happened to you and Shin?”

I choked on my noodles as Kuma exclaimed, “SHIN?!”

“Yeah,” she nodded, “I always thought you two had a thing.”

I shook my head furiously as Odagiri’s eyes narrowed. “No, no, no, and NO!”

“If anything,” Kuma interjected, “and out of everyone, I would’ve thought she had a thing with Uchi!”

“WHAT?” I dropped my chopsticks and they clattered to the floor, the room silenced. “NO!”

“I’m not letting you meet up with these guys,” Odagiri growled as he slung a protective arm over me.

“They were, are, and will only ever be my friends. Nothing more than that,” I protested.

Tsuchiya whistled. “You sure got some competition, Ryu!”

“Noooo, no, no, no, no!!” I sighed. And sent him a death glare.

“So guys, how was your day?” Tsuchiya instantly changed the subject.

After dinner, we thanked Yankumi and Kuma and headed for the arcade with Odagiri still grumbling.

“I need to keep a close eye on you.”

I looked at him. “You don’t have to worry.”

“Especially Kikwang,” he growled. “That guy is dangerous.”

I began to protest when I remembered how he had been acting earlier. “He was being a total douche today, I’ll admit. BUT he’s my best friend. AND he will stay my best friend. He’s just… on probation for now.”

Odagiri was about to argue with me when suddenly a group of guys swarmed around us. My boyfriend drew me close to him, his eyes blank and emotionless as he watched the leader carefully.

“Long time no see, boys,” the leader hissed.