Coward

Coward

 

a/n: This is the unedited version. I felt like I was teasing you guys for too long so....ENJOY!

AND! the POV changes alot around the last part. I labeled it so it won't be confusing, but I thought to just warn you before you read :D THANKS!

 


 

 

Stephanie Hwang.

 

The girl of my dreams, literally.

 

That’s all she would ever be. Inside my dreams, because I’m a coward. A lousy, good-for-nothing coward. Every day, all I do is stare at her. Smile when she does, chuckle when she does. It’s breaking my heart. Slowly, but surely.

 

#

 

“Jessi!” I opened my arms as she ran to me. We hugged for a good minute until she broke it off.

 

“Jessi, Nichkhun-oppa asked me out.”

 

I furrowed my brows at the sudden revelation. “And?”

 

A light smack on the arm was all she gave me. “I said yes.” She grinned.

 

I sighed and grabbed her bag. “You say yes to every boy that asks you out.”

 

“Nu-uh! I said no to Yoochun-oppa!”

 

“That’s cause Kahi-unnie would’ve killed you.”

 

We walked in comfortable silence, enjoying each other’s company. Ever since Ste– I mean Tiffany joined the cheerleading squad, attention was hers. No, she’s not a or a like everybody else in that club…she was just…an unconscious flirt.

 

By an unconscious flirt, I mean really unconscious. She’s very touchy, but it’s because of her innocence. She finds it nice to hug everybody she knew. Including hormonal boys. That’s partly the reason why we only talk before and after school. The attention she got…was not a thing I liked. All that staring is just too much for me.

 

“We’re here Jessi.” I stopped walking –and my thoughts– and gave her, her bag. She hugged me goodbye and I watch her go inside her home. Mr. Hwang should be home by now anyways.

 

#

 

“Good morning Jessi.” She greeted me. She went forward for a hug but I stepped backwards. A flash of pain in her eyes presented themselves at me.

 

“I don’t like hugs Tiff.” She nodded but understood the meaning behind my words. A lot of kids gather in front of the school gate at this hour. If we met up earlier, I could’ve hugged her. Probably.

 

“I’ll see you later.” I began to walk towards the east-wing of the campus when she grabbed my hand. I looked at her nervous and giddy self. “Yes?”

 

“I was…wondering if you’d like to eat lunch with us.”

 

I gave her a small smile and removed her grip from my hand. “I’d like that –“ she smiled “but, I don’t like those stares people give you.” It disappeared.

 

“But, it’s not that bad Jessi. Once you get used to it and all.” She tried to reason.

 

“I’ll think about it.” And I walked away.

 

#

 

“I heard you got invited to spend the lunch hour with the cheerleaders. What’d you say?” byuntaeng asked.

 

“No.”

 

“AWEEE! WHYYYY?!?!” I raised my hand to slap her, but a ninja bunny beat me to it.

 

“BUUNNY!! THAT HURT!”

 

“Serves you right.” I laughed at the scene of the bickering couple. It made my heart twirl in different happy places.

 

“Class, settle down.” We did as told and Sooyoung sat beside me.

 

“We’re doing a fundraiser for the kids at the orphanage. The money that we’ll collect will go straight to their music program. So who’s in?” talk about straight to the point talk.

 

I was about to sleep and curl up like a baby when Sooyoung grabbed my hand and raised it. “JESSICA IS!”

 

“WHAT?!”

 

“Why Miss Jung, I didn’t know you could sing…or dance.”

 

“Neither did I.” I snapped my hand out of Sooyoung’s grasp and she looked at me apologetically.

 

“Well, Miss Jung is in, who else?”

 

The people with short skirts (if you could call that skirts) raised their hands. “If it’s about talent, the cheerleading squad’s in.”

 

A nod and applause of approval came to their direction.

 

“OOOH! If Jessica’s in we are too!” Taeyeon screamed. Seriously midget?!

 

“This is a talent show, not a nerd showcase.” The leader of the cheerleaders said. All of them laughed, except for Tiffany.

 

“Oh, so we’re criticizing now? I’m pretty sure talent shows aren’t about showing your to everybody.” I retaliated.

 

“Stay out of this Jung.”

 

“You insulted my friend Park. What else am I supposed to do?”

 

“I’m stating the truth Jung. You, and your friends are nerds. Right Tiffany?”

 

Don’t do it Tiff.

 

“Y-yeah.” Hundreds of needles pierced my heart. So this is how it is huh?

 

“I’m pretty sure being a nerd is better than being a .”

 

“OOOOOH!!!!!” a random guy screamed out of the corner.

 

“I dare you to say it again.”

 

“, , hooker, call girl, do you want me to go on?” I kept my glare at her and I was pretty sure she was about to jump at me.

 

“You little –“

 

“OKAY! Let’s stop. Jessica, words please.” I gave a small apology to the teacher and sat by Taeyeon and the others.

 

“I’m sorry Sica.”

 

I gave her a sympathetic smile. “It’s not your fault Taeng.”

 

In the corner of my eyes, I saw Tiffany looking at me, trying to meet my eyes. But no. I’ve had enough.

 

#

 

“Jessi. JESSI!” I stopped at my tracks and face her.

 

“What?”

 

“Uhm…about earlier –” I raised my hand stopped her from talking. I’ve had enough of this game.

 

“Save it.”

 

“But Jessi–“

 

“This isn’t the first time you did that to us, I let it slide then, but this is the third…you promised.”

 

“I know Jessi! But I can’t say no to them and you know that!”

 

“Yeah. Cause your reputation is everything.”

 

“THAT’S NOT IT!”

 

“Just… leave it.”

 

“NO I WON’T! YOU’LL STOP TALKING TO ME FOR ANOTHER WEEK AND YOU’LL PRETEND TO NOT KNOW ME!”

 

I sighed and rubbed my forehead. “Not now Tiffany.” Stares. I felt them towards us.

 

“JUST TALK TO ME!”

 

“ING LEAVE IT STEPHANIE!” I felt time stop as those words came out. Everything I treasured, endured, gone.

 

“Jessi…” she whispered.

 

“I won’t be able to walk you home later; the rest of us will be practicing at Sunny’s house.” I walked away from her, from the scene. A thought went inside my head and I scoffed at it. I’ll always be a coward.

 

#

 

“You called her Stephanie?” Sunny asked in disbelief. No one has called Tiffany Stephanie since the death of her mom.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Gosh. You were really pissed off then.”

 

I nodded and buried my face deeper in my hands.

 

“What will you do then?”

 

“Ignore her.”

 

“Again? You’ve been doing that since…forever.”

 

“It’s not like she cares.”

 

“I’m pretty sure she does.”

 

“Leave me alone.”

 

“Fine.”

 

And yes, I was left alone. I thought of Tiffany’s face when I called her Stephanie. She knows of my mood swings. She knows how mad I get when I’m pressured into something, but that look. That lost look she had when I called her, her full name. Add to it a curse.

 

“AAAH!!! JUNG JESSICA YOU SCREWED UP BAD!”

 

#

 

“Soooo what song will you sing Sica?”

 

“Gee Sooyoung, I don’t know. I probably would’ve known IF I VOULENTERED MY SELF!” I shouted. I saw them all rub their ears and glared at Sooyoung.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

I sighed and rubbed my cheeks. “What will you guys do?”

 

“WEEEEEEELLL.” Of course, Taeyeon answers. “We we’re thinking that Yuri, Yoona, Hyoyeon, and Sooyoung will dance. Seohyun, Sunny, and I will sing.”

 

“That’s pretty good.” I approved “But, what song?”

 

“THAT! We don’t know.”

 

“Oh! Unnie! How about SNSD’s newest song?” the maknae proposed.

 

“They have 9 members Seo, we have 7, since Jessica will go solo.”

 

I laughed at Taeyeon attempt. “I’m sure you’ll find something. In the meantime, Sunny, do you still have that book of songs?”

 

#

 

“That’s a sad song unnie.”

 

“I’m always sad Seo.”

 

“HEY! YOU HAVE US!”

 

“Shut up Sooyoung.”

 

“Yes Hyoyeon.”

 

“Now, we just need to set up the piano and such.”

 

“URGH, too much work.”

 

“Come one Yul! We get to put things inside the piano!”

 

“OOOH! LET’S GO!”

 

# *change POV*

 

The number you dialed is…” Tiffany sobbed and threw her phone to her bed. It’s been 2 weeks. Jessica has never ignored her for more than a week. What pained her more is that even Krystal seemed to be in it.

 

 

“Oh. Jessica-unnie? She doesn’t want to see you.” Krystal’s words punched her hard, but giving up wasn’t an option.

 

“Just, please Krys? Just a little hello.”

 

“No.” Krystal tried to slam the door but Tiffany’s foot came between it. Good thing she was wearing Nike shoes and not sandals.

 

“Please Krystal?”

 

The young Jung simply sighed and leaned her head at the door. “Unnie, if you respected my sister, you’d leave her alone.”

 

“But –“

 

“Stop being a stubborn fool and let her sort out her feelings towards you, and unnie, you should do that too.”

 

 

Feelings. Does Jessica have feelings for her? Impossible. They were friends. They were girls. But this is the 21st century. Those things are acceptable. Yeah, in the US.

 

With a frustrated heart and mind, she went under the covers and relaxed herself. Tomorrow was the big fundraiser show. And her goal is to make Jessica talk to her. Even if it meant begging on her knees.

 

# *still 3rd person POV*

 

Tiffany walked the almost empty mall. It was Monday, and the fund raiser doesn’t start until 4, so she had free time. And by free time, it meant searching the mall for a sorry gift to Jessica.

 

“I DON’T WANT THAT!” Jessi?

 

“Why not?! It shows your s!” Taeyeon?

 

“THAT’S EXACTLY WHY I DON’T WANT IT!” Jessica’s screaming? Tiffany took a look at the store screams erupted. Dress emporium?

 

What was Jessica doing in there? Tiffany went inside and greeted the staff. She followed the still loud noises from her friends and hid behind the row of dresses.

 

“How ‘bout something that shows your legs?”

 

“NO.”

 

“Shows your legs and your s?”

 

“NO!”

 

“Psssh. You’re no fun.”

 

Tiffany saw Jessica slapping her face, most probably questioning herself why she asked Taeyeon to come with her.

 

“Call Seohyun.”

 

“Why? Do you not like my company?”

 

“Gosh Taeyeon, just do it.”

 

“Fine. How ‘bout something that show’s your –“

 

“STOP! This is why I said I prefer wearing pants.”

 

“Psssh. It’s a talent show. You’ll be singing with a piano. Wearing pants or slacks is a no no.”

 

“Guys do it.”

 

“Are you a guy?”

 

“No.” Taeyeon smiled in triumph and called Seohyun.

 

Jessi knows how to play the piano? I didn’t….

 

“Hey Sica! I like this one!” Taeyeon said, running towards Tiffany’s hidden place. Tiffany, in panic, ran for the door, failing to see the dress Jessica just wore.

 

#

 

Tiffany realized how much information she doesn’t know about Jessica. When was the last time they actually had a real conversation? 2 months? 3? 4? How bout, when was the last time they hung out? When?

 

She realized the loss of glee Jessica had whenever they conversed on their way home. It was always about her. About the team, the boys, all of the things Jessica hated. How could she have been so blind? She had to make things right. She just had too. But how?

 

“Tiffany!” she heard a familiar voice.

 

She turned and saw their leader, Park Gyuri. “Hey.”

 

“It’s time to practice.” She said.

 

“About that…” Tiffany trailed off.

 

“What?”

 

“Is it okay if…I don’t join?”

 

“What!?” Gyuri asked with a tone. Making it sound as if Tiffany had mental issues.

 

“It’s just that –“

 

“Do you realize what you just said?” Tiffany cringed. “YOU are our ace player. Without you, guys won’t even dare to travel 700 miles to our competition site.”

 

“But –“

 

“Tell me, Tiffany, do you like Jessica?”

 

Tiffany staggered backwards and shook her head hard, a little too hard. “NO! We’re girls.”

 

“Uh-huh, and I should believe this reason because?”

 

“It’s wrong.”

 

Gyuri shook her head and stood beside Tiffany. “Do you want to know why I always bully Jessica?”

 

Tiffany nodded her head slowly, scared.

 

“Because she only sees you.”

 

#

 

“Wow. The crowd’s huge.” Sooyoung said, as the rest of the girls peeked behind the red curtain. The entire gymnasium was full of people.

 

“I wanna throw up.” Taeyeon slipped out of the curtain, covered , and the rest –scratch Jessica –went to her aid.

 

“UNNIE! We need you to sing!”

 

“I don’t want to do it!” Sunny cried. The lovers, slash dandyu, hugged and each other in empathy.

 

“Sica-ah! Tell them to– Sica?” Sooyoung  looked around the room and saw Jessica still peeking on the red curtain.

 

They went to her and poked her shoulder. No response.

 

“Unnie?”

 

“Why…why is Tiffany there?”

 

Yuri looked at the gang and they rushed to see what Jessica saw. in confirmation, Tiffany was at the crowd, not at the back with the rest of the cheerleading squad, but there, in the front row, giddy in her seat.

 

Jessica stepped back and the rest followed, “Why isn’t she practicing with them?”

 

Yoona started fiddling with her hat, “Unnie, she quit.”

 

“Why?”

 

Yoona avoided Jessica’s eyes, “You stopped talking to her and this was the only way she thought you’d stop.”

 

Jessica rubbed her hair harshly and stomped out, “Let’s go. They’re starting.”

 

# Jessica POV

 

As expected, the little flirts wore short shorts (if you’d call that shorts) they danced really well though, but why did Tiffany leave? Nah. I shook my head. It’s not my problem now.

 

“Thank you ladies. Next we have, Girls’ Generation!” I laughed at Taeyeon’s choice of name, translating SNSD to English but, whatever, let’s watch.

 

“Ayo GG! Yeah, yeah, shijjake bulka, OMO…”

 

The girls’ weren’t bad, they were amazing, in rhythm, almost like SNSD themselves.

 

“THANK YOU GIRLS’ GENERATION! Wow, what a performance! Next up, is, Jessica Jung, wait what?” the host read the sentence again. “Right! uhm, Jessica Jung.”

 

Applauses entered my ears as the curtain opened. I looked straight down at my hands on the piano keys. With a deep breath I started playing a soft melody.

 

[Because tears are over flowing]

 

jogeumssik geudae gyeoteuro dagagayo
jogeumssik
eoneusae geudae boineun got kkeutkkaji
watneyo”

 

I was afraid to even glance at the awfully quite crowd. All I focused my attention was the message of the song I’m singing. Tiffany, this is for you…

 

# 3rd POV

 

“She’s not too bad,” a woman whispered next to Tiffany. Tiffany nodded as tears accumulated her eyes. The message of the song was sad. It was about a person, sacrificing so much for their loved one.

 

Jessi, I’m sorry.

 

# still 3rd

 

The crowd went into an erupted cheer as Jessica finished. She bowed awkwardly and ran backstage.

 

“THAT WAS AWESOME!!!” Suny hugged her cold frame and the rest gave her thumbs ups.

 

“Unnie, Fany-unnie’s waiting outside.” Seohyun calmly stared at her unnie, her thin lips threatening to curve upward.

 

“I’ll go then.”

 

#*still 3rd

 

“Hey Jessi.”

 

Jessica looked around the garden and smiled at Tiffany, acknowledging her.

 

“So…” Tiffany clamped shut. Her ability to say anything seemed to disappear.

 

Jessica chuckled, “So?”

 

“I-I liked your song.”

 

“Yeah? It was pretty sad.” 

 

Tiffany nodded furiously. “Yeah…”

 

Jessica sat down on the grass. She tilted her head up and saw the shining night sky. Tiffany did the same.

 

“Jessi, what would you do…if everything seemed wrong?”

 

“I’ll make things right.” she answered simply.

 

“But, what if making things right isn’t simple?”

 

“Well, sacrifices must be made then. It’s always like that anyways.”

 

“Have you…had you made any sacrifices?”

 

Jessica turned to her and gave a small smile, “You could call me an expert in sacrificing things.”

 

Tiffany felt her heart beat faster, “What-what sacrifice?”

 

“Well, for one, our past.”

 

Tiffany stared at her, trying to figure the meaning of those words. “What past?”

 

Jessica simply lied down, “I don’t know either Steph. All I know is that our future isn’t…so bright together.”

 

“You’re kidding.”

 

“Am I? When…when was the last time you talked to me?”

 

“2 weeks ago!”

 

“Without the words: ‘asked me out’ or ‘cheerleading team’?”

 

“I…”

 

“Exactly. Tiff, we’re not meant to be friends.”

 

“Are we meant to be something more then?” Jessica closed her eyes as the feelings surged.

 

“I…don’t think so.”

 

“You know Jessi, I’ve overcome my fear. I quit the cheerleading squad…what about you?”  Tiffany stood up and dusted herself. She glanced at Jessica and her closed eyes. With a sigh, she began to walk away.

 

Jessica nervously followed her. She gripped Tiffany’s wrist and hugged her. “You were always a tease.”

 

Tiffany chuckled, “Only with you.”

 

“I love you Tiff, I always have.”

 

Tiffany closed her eyes and let the words linger in her heart, “I liked it better when you called me Stephanie. It reminds me of our past, of the time I fell in love with you.”

 

Jessica chuckled, “Alright then Steph, I’d like to ask you formally, would you be my girlfriend?”

 

Tiffany wrapped her arms around Jessica’s neck and pulled her close, “Of course Jessi. I’m sorry for making you wait.”

 

“You should be, I hate waiting.”

 

Tiffany leaned in closer, so did Jessica. “I love you so much Jessi.”

 

“I love you too Steph.” And they kissed under the witnesses of the sky. The moon and stars shined brightly under them, almost saying “You finally did it Jessica. You’re no coward afterall.” 

 


Sorry, but no sequel for this one. I think my literature skills are off nowadays. I don't know why...probably because of stress and such.

Buuuut, did you guys like it? Comments are highly appreciated. Also, thank you for those 3 people who voted this story :D it meant a lot to me. And to the 31 subscribers who waited patiently SARANGHAE!

I didn't like the ending of the story...Sorry. But, at least I finished! BTW, I'm working on a oneshot right now (Yes, it's JeTi) I don'tknow when, or if I'll finish it, buuuut it's all good right?? 

 

THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN!