Is It Her?

Heaven Reborn

    Kibum easily falls into step beside me, keeping up a stream of chatter that helps me almost forget what happened earlier. Reaching our door, I press a finger to my lips and quietly peek inside in case Rachel’s asleep.

“You may enter the quarantine area,” her scratchy voice calls.

“Not feeling better, huh?” I ask, smiling sympathetically and walking over to sit on the edge of her bed. I place my hand against her forehead. “Did you take the medicine I put out for you? Are you warm enough? Did you eat?”

“‘Yes’ to all the above, mother,” Rachel giggles, wincing. “Ugh, I hate being sick.”

“Don’t we all. I’ll put the notes on your desk. Oh, and speaking of class, there’s-” I break off when I don’t see Kibum. Looking around, I find him still standing in the doorway, a strange, almost sad look on his face.

Rachel follows my eyes and smiles a little. “Hi.”

“It’s okay, she’s wide awake.” I beckon him in and continue my introduction when he gets closer to the bed. “Rachel, this is Kibum. He just transferred here.

Kibum, this is Rachel, my roommate and best friend.”

“I’d shake your hand or something, but I don’t want to make you sick,” Rachel says, smiling at him.

“It’s okay. I’m immune to pretty much anything,” Kibum smiles. Tipping his hat, he adds, “It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

This makes her smile more.“Oh yeah, you’re going to fit in really well.”

“Speaking of being well,” I interrupt, glancing at her clock. “Meds time.”

“Gross.”

“I’ll get you some water,” Kibum says, picking up the cup on her nightstand walking to the sink in our room.

As soon as his back’s turned, Rachel wiggles her eyebrows at me.

“New friend,” I mouth, shaking my head at her antics.

“Cute friend,” she mouths back.

Kibum, having thankfully missed our exchange, carefully hands her the glass. “Here.”

“Thanks,” Rachel replies, quickly popping the pills in and gulping the water.

“Go to sleep now,” I tell her, getting up and dumping my book-bag on my bed. “I’m going out with Kibum to show him the campus, okay?”

“Okay,” she yawns.

I turn to Kibum and smile.“Ready?”

“Sure,” he answers, smiling back.

    I look over at Rachel to tell her I’ll be back soon, but she’s already fast asleep. I motion for Kibum to follow me and together we tiptoe out of the room.

“So, anywhere you want to see first?” I ask, heading towards the stairs.

“Um, I heard there’s a river somewhere on campus. Can we start there?”

“Of course. It’s really pretty. I go there just to think sometimes.”

    Together, we leave the dorm and start our journey across campus to the riverside. Kibum insists on stopping at the cafe and buying me hot chocolate as a thank you. The conversation flows surprisingly naturally and I’m amazed when we reach the river in what seems like no time at all. I lead him to my favorite spot, a willow tree with a huge exposed root that sits on the bank to create a natural bench.

Sinking down, I dangle my feet over the water. “What’d you think?”

“It’s beautiful,” Kibum answers, sitting beside me.

As we sit in silence, enjoying the scenery, my eyes start feeling heavy.

“Why am I so sleepy?” I ask out loud, yawning. “Hope I’m not getting Rachel’s cold.”

“Lilly,” Kibum says softly, setting his cup of coffee down.

“Yeah? Wow, okay, maybe I am getting sick.” I tighten my grip on the root beneath me and shake my head at a sudden wave of nausea.

“Lilly, I’m sorry.”

“Sorry? Sorry for what?” I shake my head again, confused and a little scared as to why my world is slowly turning black. Even as I fight it, I feel myself slipping away.

“This.”

++++++++++++++++++

Kibum catches Lilly as her eyes flutter shut and she falls against him. Carefully, he tucks her against his chest and slides an arm under her knees as he stands easily.

“You’ll understand someday,” he tells her, smiling despite a small feeling of niggling guilt. “It’s all for hyung. So he can truly smile again.”

Turning to the water, he scrunches his nose and mumbles, “I always hate this part.”

    Kibum checks that they’re alone and jumps straight into the water, holding tightly to his precious passenger. Seconds later, he stumbles as he lands on marble floors.

“Careful, hyung,” Taemin scolds, catching him. Cocking his head, he leans in to look at Lilly. “Is it really her? It’s too dark to see her face.”

“What do you think you two are doing?” Minho whispers as he materializes from the shadows. “We need to get her into the chamber quickly, before anyone else sees. What took you so long, hyung? Do you really have to choose such weird clothes?”

“I was gone like two seconds. Do you have any idea how many humans there are now? Chill out,” Kibum grumbles, keeping his voice quiet as he follows Minho and Taemin down the darkened hall. “And my human clothes aren’t weird. They’re fashionable.”

“Taemin, go tell His Majesty she’s here,” Minho orders, ignoring Kibum and pushing aside a marked panel.

“Got it.” Taemin scampers down the hall while Kibum enters the room behind Minho and lays Lilly down on the wide bed.

A few minutes later the king sweeps into the room, his magnificent robes swirling around him. Slowly, he approaches the bed, gazing down at the girl. “Jonghyun.”

“Yes, Majesty.” Jonghyun steps from behind the king to beside the bed, keeping his head bowed.

“Is this the one you saw? They are similar, but is it really her?”

Jonghyun moves closer, studying her. Looking at the king for permission, he shifts her to her side and pulls down the back of her shirt. “I’m sure. Look.”

Everyone in the room leans in to examine the faint mark on her shoulder.

The king’s face softens, his eyes becoming both regretful and hopeful. Touching the mark, he quietly whispers, “Haeyoung.”