Final

Felo De Se

If life was kinder, he could have faced the morning sun with a smile


Yes, to be honest, if the world cared even just a little, then, thousands of lives can be saved.

In a society where a line demarcated the status of a person, it is not much of a surprise to see the rate of suicide going up in the last couple of years; people think that it is ok to jump off a window, hang yourself in the bathroom,or even drink ten pills and slowly sleep to your deathbed.

Divided by a fine line, the strong gets what he wants while the weak gets bullied; If you are naturally pretty, you are deemed a wonder of surgery, if you are smart, you are deemed as a teacher's pet. This is reality, and no matter how people try, small voices will not make a difference.
.
.
.
He sighed as he faced the morning sun, painting the skyline with majestic yellow and blue. The mix of colors and the cold wind that blew brought a placid smile on his face. He took in a deep breath and closed his eyes. He then took a step forward and ended everything just like that.

He was called Hyunseong, a handsome young man from the Shim Clan. He is quite talented, with a golden voice and intelligent mind. He was a perfect son and brother, everyone envied him... Everyone wanted to be him...

But who knew that Hyunseong was troubled; more of bullied to the edge of his sanity? He was a loner and despite his family's influence, he was never loved aside from his money.

Hyunseong was deeply scarred by rejection all throughout his lifetime; a short 18 years. What pushed him to the edge and jumped off a building? what made him throw away everything and leave the world in a mere blink of an eye?

His final moments were painful to recall, his final words were defeaning, much more defeaning than the sound his body made when it made contact with the cold conrete slate; It was horrifying.

In his last sane state, he smiled to the man in the mirror and told him that everything will finally end and his soul will rest in eternal peace where it belongs. To hell or to heaven, no one knew what he was pertaining to. He laughed at the world who rejected him as he faced the morning sun.

I am free..

He whispered to the wind and everything ended just like that.

And now I stare at his picture, along with dozens of people who mourned at the loss of a young kid, a son who was raised to play the role, a student who pleased his mentors for being a model student, and surprisingly, for a small young lad, a true friend and brother.

I looked at the kid who was crying and I came to ask him why he was affected way too much by Hyunseong's death. He told me, "Hyunseong hyung protected me at the cause of his own security. Because he wanted me to live a normal life, he took all the bullying and turturing for my sake. I am weak and never really wanted, but Hyunseong hyung became my only friend, and because of me, he ended dying. It's my fault." The young lad said in between sobs and I was touched by his words.

He said that his name was Lee Jeongmin and because Hyunseong wanted to help him, everyone else turned against him. Poor young lad must  have been driven into insanity. But why would ending one's life save another?

"He jumped because they dared him to. If he didn't jump, i'll be the one dying."  The words came out as a shock and I understood from the bruises and scars from the younger that he was in fact a victim of a hideous crime I wouldn't want to elaborate.

I patted Jeongmin's shoulder and bid my farewell. I took my last glance at  the portrait surrounded by white flowers and went on my way.

"Shim Hyunseong, You are coming with me" I muttered as I approached the doors and a young lad leaning on one of the door frames smirked at me.

"I thought you don't take souls who comitted suicide?" The boy remarked and I just nodded.

"You made a scarifice for your friend, I can't deny a soul who made such a selfless act." I explained and he smiled.

"Thank you." Hyunseong muttered as he did a 90deg bow, when he looked up, he was smiling; his face was bright as the morning sun.

I went on my way and he followed. While I went on my way, I can't help but think; even if the world was harsh to him, he can still smile like an innocent child. Perhaps I have been accustomed to rejecting souls for taking suicide as their escape that his soul is a breath of fresh morning air.

"Hyunseong" I called his name and he glanced to me.

"Would you want to be trained as a guardian angel?" I asked him and his brows furrowed.

"Let me rephrase that, would you want to protect your friend Jeongmin?" I asked and he eagerly nodded.

"I'll arrange it with His Holiness" I answered and we went our way, stepping into a blinding light and entering a realm of peace and harmony.


....



A/N: Lame I know..  btw Felo de se is the latin for suicide.