Because Time Is The Only Thing That Separates Us

You and I and the Ticking Clock of Fate

 

About a year later....

I stood in front of the finished contarption and smiled. All that hard work paid off. Opening the door, I peekind into it's magnificance. Intricate gears and many buttons and levers decorated the small little place. It looked like that 'telephone booth' I saw in that one movie Grandfather brought home from one of his monthly trips.

I wondered what day it was. I haven't been counting because I was so busy with building. Maybe about... 8 months? 7 months? Maybe less?

Jinmin started pecking at my foot. She does that when she's nervous. I can tell cause I've lived wit her for so long. She's probably anxious because were gonna be traveling time... and we all know how dangerous that is. If I didn't create this correctly, we could get trapped in the time-space-continuum, or worse, in another dimension.

But still, I can't let all my work go to waste.

I tiptioed to HyunWoo's room. As busy as I was, I always found time to speak to him. I don't know if he hears me or not, but I still talk to him.

There he is, sleeping like a baby. His eyelids are closed, his pink lips slightly opened like always. I kiss his forehead.

"Hyunwoo oppa, I wish you would just wake up now.... then I wouldn't have to take that risk.... But I'll do anything to be with you faster... so I won't be alone any longer."

I take out a pen and start drawing a clock on his wrist. Drawing on him has become a habit for me. It's always a clock. Always. Because time is the only thing separating us. I his hair and kiss him one last time before making my decision.

I'm gonna use the time machine.

I walk there quickly, pulling Jinmin with me. I go inside and put in th gear shaped key. Taking  deep breath, I enter the date to two years later. My hand is on the lever, gripping it tightly. I pull it down, hoping what's ahead of me is the fate I've waitied for.

Don't worry, this isn't the end of the chapter ^^ I just wanted to put this as a start for the alternate ending! Yes, there will be a longer alternate ending.... this story was originally gonna be 4 chapters long, but I decided to make an alternate ending for it, which I would update from time to tiime after I finish this one. :D

The machine starts to spin. Yes! It's working! I grip the levers even tighter, shutting my eyes. When I feel I've come to a complete stop, I slowly open my eyes...

[Hyun Woo POV]

Siitting up on the bed, I yawned. I got up, stretching my legs. Sleeping is comfortable, but you can only sleep for so long until your body starts to feel horrible. Sleeping for 6 years is NOT fun. Stretching some more, I walk to the door, thinnking about the time before I fell into the sleeping curse. I remember that old butthole In Sung saying that he'll cast a 'curse' on me so that I, his enemy's ultimate creation, would sleep until my soulmate turned 20.

I start thinking of that voice I heard everyday. Even as I was asleep, I could still hear everything going on outside. I really think that Jieun is my soulmate. She's so adorable!! The way she talks, anyways.

Suddenly, a bright light comes from outside. I walk out, seeing a spinning box in the middle of the room. Inside, behind the blurry windows, I think I see Jieun. I think that's her. 

"Hyunwoo oppa, I wish you would just wake up now.... then I wouldn't have to take that risk.... But I'll do anything to be with you faster... so I won't be alone any longer." Her words keep bothering me. Why? What is the risk she's taking?

I look at the clock drawn on my wrist. Did she draw this? Tiny words in a cute handwriting encircle it. 'Because time is the only thing that separates us'

When I look up, there's a second where she's there, then she's gone. Tears threaten to fall but I don't cry. Men don't cry. Why should I cry anyways? Maybe she wasn't Jieun. Maybe my soulmate wasn't Jieun in the first place. There are another million people in the world who ave the same birthday. Maybe today wasn't even Jieun's birthday!

I walk to the room across from mine, which, according to the cuteness, is her's. On her table are papers and papers and mountains of papers. The top one is labeled "Speed up Time Machine." I can't be... can it? I look at it some more. The diagram shows a contraption identical to the spinning box.

Why is life like this? I've waited so long, but in the end, I never got to meet her.

I've lived with her for so long, but I never got to see her face.

I guess time will always be the thing that separates us.

 

Four years later

[No One POV]

Hyunwoo walked into a store called IU's Watches and More and felt nostalgicness come overcome him. The small shop looked similar to the workshop where he once lived. He grabbed a certain watch he liked. He went up to the cashier. "Annyeonghaseoyo. I would like this watch."

"Annyeonghaseoyo! Would you like this wrapped?" The pretty girl smiled at him and his heartbeay faster. "Ah... Neh..." He reads her nameplate. Jieun. "Jieun-ssi."

"Hmm?"

"Ani, you have a pretty name." The same name as her's, he thought.

"Oh, kamsahabnida."

She has the same voice as her, he thought. She looked at his through her long eyelashes and blushed. To her, he looked so much like Hyunwoo.... but it couln't be, could it?

He thanked her and made his way to the door. Jieun knew she couldn't let this chance slip away...

"Hyunwoo oppa?"

He turned around and smiled the smile she always wanted to see.

"I finally meet you..."

He walks to her and pull her into an embrace. "Jieun-ah, saranghae. I'm never gonna let you slip away again."

"Nado saranghae, Hyunwoo oppa."

Both of them smiled into their embrace and thought, Never again will we be separated by the ticking hands of fate.

 

Everyone, thanks for reading and maybe subscribing, comments are appreciated. I WILL post the alternate ending as  new story, so if you want to read the alternate ending, please subscribe >////<