How they met Part 1: Expectations

It's life

A/N: Hi guys, long time (insanely long time) no update. I really only write when inspired so...I am sorry if people are hanging around waiting for new chapters. For new readers who never read Whose Fault Is It Anyways, some parts of the story won't make sense if you've never read it. So I'd encourage you to read it? =P Thanks for reading this story and supporting it, I really really appreciate it. 

On with the story. 

<3 from endlesssky

Contrary to popular beliefs, Kim Yun Ri and Kwon Ji Young didn’t end up a couple in the US of A. It happened somewhere around the Pacific Ocean…on a plane, on the way back to Seoul. But to be fair, it all started when one G-dragon saw a headstrong girl on the set of the Tonight MV. And here is how it went down.

  Yun Ri stood behind the director’s chair, looking at the screen where a miniature GD rapped to the camera. Next to her was none other than the infamous G-dragon, Kwon Ji Young himself. “So Ji Young, do you think this take is satisfactory?” As a seasoned artist, Ji Young’s opinion held a lot of weight, even with directors. “What do you think Yun Ri?” The leader of Big Bang turned to asked the new assistant director for their come back MV. The director turned around to look at her, evidently also interested in her opinions. “I think Ji Young sshi,” she stressed on the word ‘sshi’, which the leader of Big Bang have conveniently dropped from her name, “Did a great job, but the sun’s lighting isn’t so good at the moment, maybe we should take a break and redo the take when the lighting’s better? It is early in the morning, so I think we can afford the wait?” The director looked at her approvingly, “That’s what I thought. Not bad, when I was assigned a university student as my assistant director, I felt quite insulted, but you’re not bad, not bad at all. Guess your success with Hot Times wasn’t just luck.” The middle-aged man said, earning him an embarrassed blush from the girl. “Thank you, but I still have a lot more to learn,” Yun Ri replied humbly.

“Well, you heard the assistant director, take 5 until the sun’s higher in the sky, everyone, dissemble the more sensitive equipment and we’ll retreat into the trailer!” The crew nodded and scurried to work. Apparently overstaffed, Yun Ri found herself with nothing to do except trudge back to the trailer, Ji Young a few steps behind her. “So, guess you passed the test huh?” Ji Young said as he fell into step with the girl. “Test?” Yun Ri enquired. “Yea, that’s’ what Director Lee does, he asks these question to test new additions to his crew to see if they’re up to standard. You passed.” Yun Ri nodded nonchalantly, “Good to know.” Ji Young opened his mouth and looked like he wanted to say something but Yun Ri’s phone chose this exact moment to ring, the girl pulled out her phone, stared and the screen and froze. “What’s wrong?”  The fashionista can’t help but ask at the girl’s stricken expression. “Is it the debt collector or something?” He joked. Yun Ri however, had no stomach for humor in her system. She shook her head slowly as she winced, “It’s worse, much much worse. It’s my cousin.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  Curiosity has always been one of Ji Young’s best and worst traits. So when the newest and youngest addition to the crew ducked into the trailer for a serious conversation with her cousin, he couldn’t help himself but follow her to eavesdrop on the conversation.

  “Yeobuseyo? Ki Bum-….” He heard the girl murmur with forced lightness and then saw her pull away from the phone, wincing. “Damn it Ki Bum, how many times have I told you to NOT scream on the phone!?” There was silence on her half, and then she put her hands on her hips and rolled her eyes, “What right? What RIGHT? Well for one thing there is this thing called human rights!-“She stopped short for a moment and then continued her rant, “No Ki Bum, YOU ing listen. I did not LEAVE without telling you, I told you, WEEKS in advance, that I was coming to LA…Yea well, I’m sorry if I forgot to mention I’m here to crew on a ing YG shoot because I didn’t want complicate things in that house even more.” Ji Young watched her sigh exasperatedly as she listened to whomever the person was on the other line. “Oh no you don’t Ki Bum, you are NOT dragging the past into this, we are EVEN, I don’t owe you . You dragged my sorry to Taiwan over your lover’s spat, and guess who I ran into there? I even went to meet bloody Shin Se Kyung for you, I think I’ve paid you back enough.” He noted how she bit her lip after her little rant, almost in guilt, but her eyes were firm. “…Look Ki Bum, I don’t want to fight with you over this. I love you, you’re my family, I’ll do anything for you, but please understand, the rent doesn’t and will not pay itself, I have nowhere else to stay in the short-term and the lease for my contract isn’t terminable for another two months, I have to do this. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you what job I was on, I just didn’t want to throw in more cannon fodder into this grand mess alright?” Ji Young watched as her eyes softened and she smiled sadly, “I know Ki Bum, I’ll be back soon and you’ll be fine without me, you’re strong. Mm, I love you too, take care. Alright, bye.”

  Yun Ri hung up the phone with a huge sigh and ruffled her hair in mild annoyance, way to ruin her mood. Ji Young watched as she closed her eyes to compose herself, and then when she did, she ducked out the trailer, leaving behind a very intrigued leader. What does a newbie director have to do with Shin Se Kyung? And who is this mysterious Ki Bum person? Naturally, with such a mystery on his hands, the great G-dragon must find out more!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  While Yun Ri was out checking the set, Ji Young was in the trailer with the rest of the members and stylists, chatting over lunch. Naturally, being the newest kid on the block, Yun Ri’s name came up. “Ugh, did you see that new girl?” One of the female assistant stylists commented as they organized the mountains of accessories piled up on the table. “The ‘assistant director’?” The other one spat out disdainfully. The first one nodded and they both exchanged disgusted looks, naturally sensing juicy gossip, Seung Ri butted in, “Who?” “That new girl, the one with the messy black hair? Next to the director? She the new ‘assistant director’,” the two women explained with a huff. “What’s wrong with her?” Dae Sung piped in as well, it was unusual for their normally kind nunas to be this worked about someone. “Oh nothing, I’m sure she’s nice and all, just don’t know what the company is thinking letting a university STUDENT come in to be an assistant director, I’m amazed that the director isn’t pissed off yet,” Started the first nuna and the other chimed in, “Connections obviously, I mean she doesn’t even have much experience except that small time SM music video, but of course she had the chance to shoot that, her cousin is Key from Shinee!”

  The members of Big Bang exchanged knowing looks, no wonder their assistant stylists were mad, it took them years to get to their current position and a little girl just comes in and lands an important role, likely because she had the right connections, anyone would be upset, it wasn’t personal…not exactly. “Well how is she though? You worked with her this morning right Ji Young?” the eldest member asked. Ji Young looked at Seung Hyun for a moment wondering how to answer the question without upsetting the nunas present and settled for a, “Can’t say much, it’s just been one morning.” That seemed to the be correct answer as the nunas steered the conversation away from the girl, secretly though Ji Young was now even more intrigued than ever. Key from Shinee eh…his real name was Kim Ki Bum…but what does that have to do with Shin Se Kyung? The mystery just got more mysterious. Subconsciously, Ji Young his lips in anticipation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  Kim Yun Ri had no idea why, of all people in the world, she was stuck in the editing room, going through footage with the one and only lead of Big Bang G-dragon. Aside from the exchange of pleasantries, it largely been an awkward hour, with no conversations made aside from the occasional, “Keep that footage” and “Rewind that please.” Of course, as with all things in life, Yun Ri’s solution is to power right through it. And so instead of trying to make small talk with the famous idol, Yun Ri just kept quiet and focused on her work.

  “So,” Ji Young started with a grin. He had intentionally kept quiet to see how the girl would react, most would be intimidated or upset at his lack of affability, which he was usually known for; instead this girl just shrugged it off like a champ. Then again, it was obvious since the morning that this girl is very different from the ones he was used to. Yun Ri looked away from the screen and regarded Ji Young with a blank face, waiting for a follow-up. “I heard you’re Key’s cousin?” Ji Young grinned as he saw the mild look of annoyance flit across the girl’s face, so this was her weakness eh. “Yes,” Yun Ri replied simply, trying her best to keep the edge out of her voice.

  It wasn’t that she didn’t like being Key’s cousin, but everyone kept asking her and kept belittling her just because of her ‘idol connection’, it was very annoying. Perhaps G-dragon didn’t mean to suggest that she wasn’t good enough, but he had been the 10th person to ask that day and she was beyond fed up. There was another 10 minutes of silence as they went through the footage.

 “Annoying isn’t it,” Ji Young commented offhandedly as he scrubbed through another clip. Surprised at the comment, Yun Ri jerked her head up from the shot-list before her. “Sorry?” This time genuine surprise could be seen on her face and Ji Young smirked at his achievement. Elicit response, success. “It must be annoying, people assuming you’re here just because of your connections,” he casually elaborated without looking at her. Inwardly though, Ji Young wondered if she would take the bait and open up to him. Out of the corner of his eyes, he saw her blink once, then twice, obviously trying to find a good reply, the she opened . “I’m didn’t know you could relate.” It was a very provocative statement, but she said it so rationally, as matter-of-factly, Ji Young was stumped. “Sorry?” Equally off-handedly, also without looking away from the screen Yun Ri clarified, “I wasn’t aware that you had another family member who is a celebrity.” Well, no he didn’t, it was just an opener to get her to open-up but apparently this girl’s defense isn’t so easily penetrated. Wiping the gawking look off his face, Ji Young schooled his expression into a friendly smile. “I don’t, it was just an assumption, sorry if I was being presumptuous,” he answered. Time to see if he ‘nice-guy’ card worked.

“I see,” Yun Ri nodded and returned to her work.

  At this point Ji Young was pretty much seething. ‘I see’, I SEE!? THAT’S ALL HE GETS!? Not even a, ‘it’s alright’ or a ‘don’t worry about it?’ Of course she sounds so emotionally detached that he couldn’t even say she’s impolite, just very very distant. “You don’t talk much do you?” He challenged; that’s it, he decided. No more Mr. nice guy, if riling her up is the only way to get a response out of her then so be it.

   Yun Ri stopped her work and turned to look at Ji Young who now had a challenging look on his face, and very sincerely said, “I’m sorry.” And then proceeded to return to her work. Ji Young wondered if she was doing this intentionally because now he was getting really fired up. “Has anyone ever told you you’re rude?” This time Yun Ri actually had a pensive look on her face. He watched, in horror, that she was actually honestly contemplating his question, which was really meant as an insult. “It seem so, yes,” she replied sincerely. This was getting ridiculous. Before he could throw out another poorly-veiled insult tough, Yun Ri continued. “I apologize if I’m coming off as discourteous to you, I’m not good at small talk,” ‘with strangers’ her brain added silently. Great, now HE’s the one who is put on a spot. Conceding temporary defeat, Ji Young decided on a tactical retreat for now, “Oh no no that’s fine, I just thought that maybe you didn’t like me.”

  In all honesty, Ji Young was expecting either a curt apology or an apologetic explanation…instead he was once again thrown for a loop. “I really like your music,” Yun Ri stated, looking straight into his eyes as she said that. For once, Ji Young really didn’t know what to say. Stuttering out an awkward ‘thank you’, he ducked out and left the young assistant director to finish her work. Little did he know, just as he heaved a sigh of relief to finally get away from him, she was busy doing the sam.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“So how did it go?” Young Bae asked as Ji Young entered their shared hotel room. “What?” Ji Young asked in reply, not getting where his best friend was going. “Oh don’t give me that,” the dancer said as he leaned back against the headboard of the bed that he was currently lounging on. Ji Young gave him a questioning look causing Young Bae to sit up and sigh, “I know you’re interested in the new assistant director, so how did it go? You were just with her right?” Damn Young Bae who knew him better than he knows himself, then again, they did spend half their lives together. Ji Young collapsed onto his bed with a defeated sigh, “She says she likes my music.” And then proceeded to bury his head in the pillow.

Now it was Young Bae’s turn to be confused, “Um..isn’t that a good thing?” Ji Young sighed and sat himself upright and proceeded to give his best friend a one-over of the entire conversation. At the end of it all, Young Bae’s reaction was a loud, hearty laugh, “She likes your music!” “Yeah yeah, laugh it up,” Ji Young grumbled. Very few people got to and Young Bae was one of the few who could. “So what now?” Young Bae asked. “I don’t know,” Ji Young replied honestly. “At first I just wanted to mess with her because she seemed interesting, now I’m really really intrigued,” the leader continued with fire in his eyes. “Well of course you are, not every girl can render you speechless,” Young Bae replied before breaking out in laughter at the situation his poor friend was subjected to moments before. Instead of replying him, Ji Young’s answer was a pillow to his face.

“I love you too Ji Young,” Young Bae replied in a sing-song voice. The leader grunted and curled himself up to sleep.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the course of the next few days, Ji Young continued to hound the new assistant director, to the extent that pretty much everyone took notice. Usually, this would have added to the poor reputation Yun Ri had, but the girl was so utterly professional and polite that no one else could really say anything. She is always the earliest on set and one of the last to go, she would also always be there when the rest of the crew needs help; in short her work ethic made up for her taciturn demeanor and she had become a accepted member of the crew. Of course, as we all know, Kim Yun Ri isn’t really such a quiet or boring person, it was all just a front which she puts up to deal with the jealous people around her, and also one Kwon Ji Young who seemed to pester her everywhere she goes.

The last day of shoot had wrapped, as the rest of the crew retired or went out to party, Yun Ri was relaxing in her room, finishing up her school paper until she was greeted with a knock on the door. Figuring it was a member of the crew, she didn’t bother checking the peep-hole and just opened the door…only to come face to face with the members of Big Bang, minus Seung Ri. “…Yes?” She asked uncertainly at the entourage before her door. “Our maknae ditched us to go clubbing with the dancers so we’re one person short for our poker game,” Ji Young explained brightly. Instead of processing his question, Yun Ri’s tired brain was wondering where he got all that energy. “Oh, I see,” was Yun Ri’s standard answer (one that got Ji Young riled up like nobody’s business these days), thankfully, Young Bae came to the leader’s rescue. “Would you like to join us?” Yun Ri looked back at her computer, mentally checking if she was done with her paper, figuring that she was, she turned back to the 4 members at her door. “Sure, just let me send this email and I’ll be right with you.”

 Yun Ri regret leaving the door open, she really did. Because instead of waiting for her at the door or going back to their rooms, Ji Young trailed right into her room along with the other 3 members and started setting up the game in the middle of her room. As she sent out the mail, the young assistant director contemplated kicking the 4 men out of her room, but ultimately decided that it was too much work and too impolite. Instead she sighed and took a seat directly across TOP, between Dae Sung and Young Bae. “You know how to play?” Seung Hyun who was the dealer asked, Yun Ri nodded. “We have some special rules,” Dae Sung added and he pulled out a dozen of soju. “We don’t bet money, instead losers gotta drink, once they’re drunk, they’re out,” the lead singer explained.

  All 4 members stared at Yun Ri’s face after the declaration, looking for signs of fear or worry, instead, she just nodded nonchalantly. “Okay.” Slowly, the other 3 members began to understand Ji Young’s frustrations. And so the game started…

  At around 4am, the game wrapped up, with only two sober individuals in the room. The first was TOP, who was sober because he kept wining and drank minimally, and the second was Yun Ri who despite losing frequently had the alcohol tolerance of a Russian. “How…are you not…drunk?” Dae Sung slurred as he stumbled out of the toilet. Yun Ri quickly moved the cups and bottles out of his way before he could knock them over in his drunken stumble. Yun Ri shrugged, they really hadn’t drunk much by her standards, but trying to help the boys save face, she answered, “My reflexes are really dulled.” Seung Hyun hid his laugh behind a loud cough, whilst Young Bae opened his eyes to stare incredulously at the girl. Ji Young who was pretty drunk and was resting against the bed pointed a finger at him, “You cheated!” “What?” Yun Ri asked tiredly. “You didn’t actually take your drink! They must have been water!” Yun Ri sighed and against her better judgment, she picked up and unopened bottle of soju and downed it. Seung Hyun, mollified, pried the bottle out of her hands, “What are you doing!?” Yun Ri leveled a look at him, “Proving a point.” The guys waited for the alcohol to kick in, all three of the drunk members sitting up straight, leaving the room in complete silence. “What’s 12 times 12?” Dae Sung asked. “144,” Yun Ri answered without losing a beat. Really, why do people always ask that question to test supposed drunk people. “Is that right?” Young Bae asked as he struggled with the question. Yun Ri exchanged looks with TOP and he took the cue to bring the drunk dongsaengs back to their rooms.

  “Come on now, let’s go to bed, we have a flight to catch to Las Vegas tomorrow for the second half of the shoot,” he ushered. “Do you need help?” Yun Ri asked. Shouldering Young Bae and Dae Sung, he nodded in Ji Young’s direction. “Help me get him back to his room?” The girl nodded and helped the eldest member of Big Bang open the door before returning to help the leader up. “Come on now Ji Young sshi, you need to get up and go to bed.” “NO.” Was Ji Young’s stubborn reply. Yun Ri wondered what her roommate would say if she found Ji Young sleeping on the floor or their room and renewed her attempt to get the leader up. “Please Ji Young sshi, you can’t sleep on the floor it’s not good for you.” She nudged. At that the leader clambered up and plopped himself onto the bed. Yun Ri thought her heart stopped for a moment before realizing that the bed he had collapsed on was hers and not her roommate’s. Weighing her options, she decided that brute force is now the only solution.

  Without a word, she pulled Ji Young up with all her might and, as he was drunk, his entire form was to leaning against her. Yun Ri braced herself for all his weight, only to realize the leader was much lighter than she expected. Perhaps she would be able to drag him back to his room after all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  “You should eat more,” she said to the inebriated idol. “Why?” Came Ji Young’s reply. He had long since given up on struggling against her, the girl was surprisingly strong and had a very painful grip. “You’re really skinny,” Yun Ri said. She noted that Ji Young was pretty sober mentally for a drunk, he probably wasn’t wasted yet though his motor functions were probably a little shot. “I thought girls liked skinny guys,” he replied as he stumbled and almost hit the wall. At the last minute, before the impact, Yun Ri tugged at him, hard, causing him to stumble into her instead. “Heh, I didn’t know you wanted to be this close to me,” Ji Young teased at their closeness. Yun Ri rolled her eyes and righted him into a more decent position, “You don’t know a lot of things Ji Young sshi,” Yun Ri replied. There was simply no point arguing with a drunk person.

  “Oppa,” Ji Young said. “What?” “Call me oppa, we’re not that far apart in age, you can talk casually to me,” Ji Young said in all seriousness. The two locked gazes and Yun Ri was surprised at the clarity in his eyes. He was serious about this. “No can’t do Ji Young sshi,” Yun Ri said, casually, without dropping the honorific after his name. “You .” Ji Young pouted. Soon enough, they arrived before the leader’s room. “Key?” Yun Ri asked. Ji Young belatedly produced the key from the pocket of his sweatpants and began blindly stabbing the door. Sighing, Yun Ri took the key from him and opened the door for the leader. She released the idol and was about to walk away, only to see him stumble into a drunken heap against the hallway of his room. Motherly instincts kicking in, Yun Ri made a decision that she would surely regret, she walked into the room and began the challenging process of caring for a drunk G-dragon.

Getting his shoes off was easy, monitoring him brushing his teeth was much harder. The leader kept trying to talk with his mouth full of foam and for being in his bathroom and looking at his underwear. To her credit, Yun Ri just sighed and smiled wryly, which in turn incensed Ji Young more. Why can’t he ever get a reaction out of this girl? After the teeth-brushing, the leader needed to use the toilet, whilst he offered to let Yun Ri stay, the girl bluntly declined and told him unfortunately, he’d have to risk face planting into the toilet bowl. Pouting, the leader let her wait outside and somehow managed to keep himself upright long enough to finish his business and wash his hands.

  He unlocked the toilet door to see the girl making tea, which she set down by his bed. “You done?” He nodded and she helped him to his bed. “Anyways, tea is by the table, drink it in a while, and try to have that banana in the morning it helps, avoid asprin if you can, if you need painkillers, lemme know tomorrow morning. I’ll give you mine,” she recited. It was really a force of habit, as Ki Bum had the habit of coming home drunk in the past, Yun Ri had an automatic ‘look after drunk people’ mode. “You’re surprisingly motherly,” Ji Young laughed. Yun Ri smiled softly and the singer-song writer looked at her, surprised and slightly enamored. “Sorry, force of habit…Ki Bum used to come home drunk a lot,” she explained. Ji Young’s drunken brain took a moment to process that as Key and nodded. “Anyways, good night and take care, see you tomorrow,” Yun Ri said as she pushed herself off the wall to make her way out. “Wait.” Ji young called out and Yun Ri stopped short. “Yea?” “Stay,” Ji Young asked.

  The first though that crossed her mind was that it was a really inappropriate situation, and Ji Young, despite his drunkness obviously picked up on her discomfort because he proceeded to explain, “I can’t sleep when I’m drunk, I need to sober up a little. Stay and talk to me for a while?” Yun Ri bit her lip, on one hand it didn’t seem like a very good idea, but on the other hand, she was also the type that can’t sleep when drunk, so she understood his pain. Sympathy outweighing her worry, Yun Ri stayed. “Thanks,” Ji Young said while shooting her a genuine smile. Involuntarily, Yun Ri felt her heart skip a beat. Despite seeing him pull all sorts of expressions at the camera for the past few days, Yun Ri never really felt anything, but the sincerity behind the smile struck a chord with her and Yun Ri thanked herself for being the sort that doesn’t blush too easily.

“You said you liked my music,” Ji Young began. Yun Ri sat herself on the chair by the dresser table and nodded, “I do.” “Why?” “Is this 20 questions?” She joked. Ji Young found that he likes it better when she isn’t uptight, and figured that perhaps she wasn’t as unaffected by the alcohol as she said she was. Although seeing as she could still walk straight, her alcohol tolerance was still pretty impressive. “I’ve always thought you’re really brave,” Yun Ri answered…if that qualified as an answer. “Huh?” “Your music, it’s all so personal, but then you write them and put them out for the world to see. All your scars, your wounds….I wouldn’t be able to do that. That’s what my film professor always criticizes me about, that I don’t put enough of myself in my work.” “Well yea, no , you’re such a guarded person,” Ji Young complained, all his frustration over the past few days feeding into his voice. Instead of taking offense, Yun Ri laughed, hard. Ji Young watched in amazement at the girl before him, whom he has been trying to get a rise out of, laugh heartily before him. “I’m sorry…actually no, I’m not sorry. How can I be sorry for who I am?” At that Yun Ri smiled to herself. She is proud of who she is, of course she’s still striving to find the courage to open herself up in her cinematic work, but really, she likes herself just fine in daily life. Reminiscing how she became who she was, she spoke, more to herself than to the idol, “I have your music to thank though. I think if I didn’t have your music by my side during all those difficult times, I wouldn’t be who I am today. So thank you, for being brave and putting part of yourself out there, for us,” Yun Ri looked up and thanked the composer.

Ji Young felt as if he was shocked back into sobriety at her declaration, and was also touched. He had no doubt that his fans loved him, he also never doubted that the work he put out was the best he could produce. But alas, the woes of being an idol included people loving whatever you churn out because they loved you more than because your music really touched them. Sadly that was why he wrote music, he wanted it to soothe the souls of those hurt just like him, he hoped his music could reach out to people, keep them company and make their day a little brighter, he wanted his music to inspire, that’s why he composed, that’s why he puts a piece of himself in every song he creates. He had long since given up on having someone tell him that they appreciate him purely for the music he makes….and yet here the most unlikely person is doing just that. Ji Young honestly felt at that moment that he would cry. “Thanks,” Ji Young uttered with a bittersweet smile. “It’s the first time anyone thanked me for my music.”  “You can come to me anytime if you need more thanks,” she said, remembering that day where she picked herself up, and got the courage to start over again, all because of his song.

“You should go to bed now,” Ji Young said after a while of comfortable silence. “Yea I should,” Yun Ri agreed. “Good night. “Good night.” The door closed with a soft click and Ji Young noted that she was so meticulous and considerate that she’d close the door gently. This girl really isn’t what he expected.