A day as Kim Yun Ri

It's life

  The day for Kim Yun Ri, as with every other person in this world starts the way it does for every other person in this world; with waking up.

  “I hate this love song, I hate this love song, I hate this love song…”

  “Ugh, Ji Young, I get it, you hate love songs!” Kim Yun Ri yelled into the receiver of her phone.

  Yes, I may have forgotten to mention that whilst Kim Yun Ri wakes up like everyone else, her wakeup call is a little more special than most. “But darling!!!!!! I’m very proud of my composition!!!! And I want to share it with you!” Kwon Ji Young, the leader of Big Bang all but crooned on the other end of the line. “Every single ing day Ji Young? When did you change the ring-tone for your caller I.D on my phone anyways…no actually, Why the hell are you calling me when we’re in the SAME ROOM in the SAME HOUSE!?” Kim Yun Ri growled exasperatedly, glaring straight at her boyfriend of 3 months who stood dripping wet, leaning against the doorframe of the bathroom in nothing but a pair of sweat pants.

  Laughing heartily, the singer moved to place a soft kiss on her forehead. “Good morning my love,” he whispered, face inches from hers. “Morning to you too my love,” she whispered back. The intimate moment lasts for exactly 30 seconds before Kim Yun Ri makes another annoyed observation, “You were smoking.” She comments dully, wrinkling her nose at pungent scent of tobacco. Smoothing out the wrinkles on his pre-chosen outfit, G-dragon shrugs, “It’s my muse.” Kim Yun Ri eyes his boyfriend critically for a second before sighing, “I suppose I should just be grateful that you don’t write your songs drinking whisky while smoking weed.” “Are you comparing me to Lady GaGa!?” The singer whirls around, placing his hands on his chest, looking mock hurt. “Hm…, I don’t know…” Kim Yun Ri taps her lip with her finger thoughtfully, “The blonde hair, the eccentric fashion…” She trails off cryptically. G-dragon stuck his tongue out at her and went back to getting dressed, “Don’t you have class today?” He added after a few moments of silence. Kwon Ji Young counted down from 3. 3, 2, 1.

  “Oh !”

  Oh, did I also forget to mention that Kim Yun Ri, just like every other college student, has school to attend?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  The day however, only truly starts for Kim Yun Ri after school. Though you must be wondering, why would any student have classes on a Sunday. Well, when you miss a month worth of classes due to internships abroad, you tend to have to take make up classes, even when you’re the top 10% of the class.

  “Thanks for everything Professor, and I’m so sorry that you have to come back on a weekend just for me,” Kim Yun Ri apologized sheepishly as she clears her things off the immaculate desk. Professor Shim smiles at her kindly, “You’d better do well on your next project to make my trouble worth-while then.” She nods enthusiastically, “You can count on it Professor!” With that, Kim Yun Ri promptly dashes out of her professor’s office and off to her next destination. Professor Shim looks at her retreating form fondly, usually second years are rarely allowed to take on internships during school terms, but Yun Ri has never been one for tradition. When asked if she regrets her decision to graduate late because of her work-study situation, the girl answered rather nonchalantly, “What problem is there if I’m already making money and has a job secured?” And Professor Shim found himself not really able to refute that statement. The scholar laughed softly to himself as he remembers what his old friend Lee Soo Man told him over the phone about his student.

  “She’ll crush the industry or make it.”  

  Lee Soo Man has no idea just how right he was.

  I apologize for straying, as I was saying, Kim Yun Ri’s day only truly starts the moment she steps into the YG Building.

  “Afternoon Yun Ri sshi!” “Afternoon Na In unni!” The exchanges of pleasantries continue until she’s all the way up to Yang Hyun Suk’s office, where she is let in by the ever-intimidating boss. Sure, Kim Yun Ri did ask tyrant Lee Soo Man to ‘save it’ but then again she was not trying to keep a job at SM Entertainment. Here at YG however…

  “Ah Yun Ri, come in.” “Sorry I’m late sir,” Kim Yun Ri bows politely. Yang Hyun Suk gestures to the chair in front of his table and she takes a seat, very carefully. “I looked through your proposal for today’s broadcast,” and Kim Yun Ri holds her breath or his verdict, “It’s not bad, could use some work but it’s not bad.” Normally at this point she could start breathing again but today was different, today was special. Thick silence enveloped the room as Kim Yun Ri became distinctively aware of every little sound in the room, like ticking of the clock or the almost inaudible buzz of electricity running in various appliances in the room. “Your work’s been very consistent throughout this promotional period so as our agreement, I’ll let Director Yamato have a look at your portfolio.” Kim Yun Ri nodded numbly, at least now she has a chance.  Here at YG, you do not just earn your work, you even have to earn the opportunities to earn your work. Seeing as the conversation has come to an end, Kim Yun Ri picked up her bag and readies herself to rush to SBS’s studio for the Inkigayo recording.

  “And he has informed me that he’ll be very glad to take you under his wing as the assistant director for Big Bang’s Japan tours.”

  Seating her back down in the chair, Kim Yun Ri stairs at her boss in a rare fit of discomposure, “Excuse me!?” “I said, you’ll be working under Director Yamato for Big Bang’s upcoming Japan tours.” “But, you said you’ll let Director Yamato look at my portfolio…” “Yes and I did. He called me last month, to inform me of your position,” Yang Hyun Suk finished almost smugly. Kim Yun Ri had a million questions to ask and even more things to complain about, after all, the original agreement was that if her directing for Big Bang’s come back is deemed satisfactory, Yang Hyun Suk will recommend her to Big Bang’s Japan concert DVD director. If Yamato called him last month it would mean that Yang Hyun Suk already planned for her to be the assistant director before she’s proven herself! Of course, she wasn’t about to complain about the current situation. Swallowing every she has to say, Kim Yun Ri settled for a deep bow and a sincere, “Thank you so much!” The CEO of YG waved her off and she quickly scrambled out of the room.

  Before Kim Yun Ri manages to get her foot out the door however, Yang Hyun Suk’s voice stopped her in her tracks, “Oh and Yun Ri.” “Yes sir?” “Try to remind Ji Young to use a .”

  Kim Yun Ri, red faced, decided to ignore the rambunctious laughter of her boss as she left the building. He could have just told her that he was testing her diligence and integrity towards work because he found out that she was dating one of his artists….

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  Kim Yun Ri rarely takes the same van as Big Bang, as with all YG staff, they all make transportation arrangements on their own, main reason being to avoid unseemly rumors. As a result, she has just spent a good 52 000 won getting to SBS studios on a cab. An astounding amount for a student who is working part-time and cannot reclaim transportation fees from the company, but as Kim Yun Ri has recently terminated the rent on her expensive apartment and moved in with her boyfriend, her disposable income has risen considerably and the cab fare is not really a bother.

  “Kim Yun Ri sshi!” The security guard nodded as she entered the building through the backdoor. To avoid the impossible crowd of fans that gather at SBS building, most of the crew tend to take the backdoor. However,  the first time Kim Yun Ri tried to take the back door, even with her crew pass, she was refused entry as the paranoid security refused to believe that her, and I quote, “fan-girly self can possible be qualified to be a stage director for Big Bang.” It wasn’t until Big Bang’s manager came to fetch her personally did the critical guard let her in, apologetically. Since then the two have had a very good relationship. “Ahjusshi! How are you? It looks like it’s going to rain again, don’t forget your rain coat!” She reminds him as she walked into the building with a bounce in her steps.

  After going through the directions of the camera crew with the PD of Inkigayo, Kim Yun Ri makes her way to Big Bang’s waiting room. Indeed, the job of a stage director for broadcasts is very simple. You write screen directions for the camera crew, go through it with the PD of the broadcast and then during actual recording, stand at the side and look important PD does all the ordering for you. So yes, writing 15 pages of screen directions for a 5 minute broadcast is a , and you need to write a new one for every broadcast, but it’s still easier money than directing MVs. What Kim Yun Ri really hated about broadcasts however, was actually visiting the artists, or more precisely, visiting her boyfriend. But today would be different because she comes bearing good news.  

  “Annyeonghaseyo!” She opens to the door to the waiting room that Big Bang shared with K.Will. Which therein lays the problem. Despite their fame, due to space constraints, broadcasting companies rarely can afford to give artists their own waiting rooms, forcing them to share waiting rooms together. “Ah, Yun Ri sshi, how are you?” G-dragon greets her formally. The words of enthusiasm that almost left wormed their way back down again. Instead of yelling out ‘I’M GOING TO JAPAN WITH YOU!’ Kim Yun Ri chose to reply equally formally, “I’m fine thank you, is everyone ready for the recording?” G-dragon turned to look at s who were in various states of well…waiting. “Pretty much,” he shrugs. Kim Yun Ri nods and an uncomfortable silence hangs between them. “Uh…nice jacket shirt Ji Young sshi,” she comments, not knowing what to say, now that her good mood was ruined. “Thanks, I bought it when we were filming the MV for Tonight in USA,” he replies smoothly. Kim Yun Ri’s first reaction was to smack him over the head and yell ‘I know! I was there when you bought it remember?’ but controlled herself.

  She shuffles her feet nervously, unsure as to what she should say next. Sitting down seemed inappropriate as she was not one of the stylists, but she also had nowhere to go in the building as the PD was expecting her to be in the waiting room as a YG personnel. She cast a quick glance at the other members, eyes signaling for their help, but most of them were sleeping, reading or gaming, which left her face to face with her boyfriend who seemed to have temporarily forgotten that they were involved in a romantic relationship.

  Finally, it was the PD who saved her from dying from awkwardness. “Big Bang, you’re on next, Yun Ri sshi, will you please come with me for a dry run of the recording?” Nodding, she all but rushed out of the room, failing to see the affectionate look on Ji Young’s face. As the door of the waiting room closed, K.Will who was listening to his mp3 pulled the earbuds out of his ears and commented offhandedly, “You do know that I know you two are dating right Ji Young?” The leader of Big Bang shrugged, “Better to be safe than sorry.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   The most important part of the day for Kim Yun Ri, the part where she earns her keep in YG Entertainment is but a grudging 2 hours and she rarely gets to even do the ordering around herself. Whilst other stage directors (if the companies are rich enough to hire one) get to share the loud hailer with the PD, Kim Yun Ri’s only chance of making sure that her directions are carried out is by tracking and personally checking the positions of the cameras and whispering her directions to the PD through a walkie talkie as she stands at the very end of the studio, away from prying eyes.

   It was nothing personal of course, but it is never good to let fans know that a girl their own age gets to work as the stage director for Big Bang while all they could do was stand at the edge of the stage and watch their idols from afar. Despite the difficulties posed to her however, Kim Yun Ri is determined to succeed. She personally buys coffee for the camera crew so that she can get at least a few words in with them in private about how she wants the cameras to pan. She stays and helps with clean up after recording so she can build personal rapport with the PD so that he will respect her directions more. It is hard to survive in an industry where seniority trumps talent, but Kim Yun Ri knows that if you can’t beat the rules, then you just make new ones.

  The advantage of being the ‘shadow director’ however, is that she gets to gawk at the singers onstage as much as she likes while recording is going on. And Kim Yun Ri would be damned if she did not milk this for all it’s worth after all the extra hassle she has to go through to perform her job. Following the good example of every fangirl, she stares, mouth open, at the artists onstage, trying to commit every movement and every expression to memory. Soon, recording ends and as expected Big Bang wins, the fans cheer as encore starts Kim Yun Ri moves on to her next job, excusing herself from cleaning up.

  “Kim PD nim,” she asks quietly as the fans go wild over the encore stage. “Yes Yun Ri sshi?” “Um…I’d really love to stay and help, but my boss needs me to report back to YG for a meeting…” “Ah of course you can go first, you don’t really have to help out after every recording, you don’t even work here.” The PD waved good naturedly, Kim Yun Ri bows gratefully and rushes out of the building for her skype meeting with her soon to be boss, Director Yamato.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  One needs to realize that the day only officially starts for Kim Yun Ri at the late hour of around 2pm, which means that at 8pm, she is barely halfway through her day. And sitting alone in the almost empty office of YG building, Kim Yun Ri tried to enthuse herself for her meeting with Director Yamato whilst everyone else was down at the cafeteria, celebrating Big Bang’s mutizen win and conclusion of their promotion. She vaguely wonders if her presence was missed at the party but set it aside as the call connects. “Konbanwa Yamato-san…”

  Kim Yun Ri is home by 10.30pm, it should be noted that she and Kwon Ji Young rarely go home together and most definitely not from YG Building where fans await, ready to ambush their idols. The celebration has been moved from the building to a nearby restaurant as supper time draws near, but Kim Yun Ri has more important things to do, such as homework, because no matter what, she was still a college student. Which is why, at 2am, she can be found typing away on her laptop, desperately trying to vomit out the last paragraph of her assignment when the strong smell of alcohol invaded the room. Letting out a sigh of relief as she typed the final word to her essay, Kim Yun Ri clicked save just in time to find the source of the alcohol draped across her shoulders. “Yun Ri baby! I’m home!” Ji Young exclaimed a little too loudly next to her ears.

  “You’re drunk.” She states flatly. “No I’m not! I’m high! High high~~” He breaks out into a song. Kim Yun Ri sighs and ushers him into the toilet and goes about the very troublesome process of getting her boyfriend cleaned up for bed. Kim Yun Ri often compares the experience of bathing her drunk boyfriend to bathing a hyperactive puppy with a kitten’s dislike for water. So while the sobering leader of Big Bang jumps onto the bed in his white T-shirt and sweat pants, ready to sleep, Kim Yun Ri is forced to take another shower before climbing, exhaustedly to bed.

  “Yun Ri baby!! Why are you so unhappy?” Ji Young chirped too happily next to her. Indeed, Kim Yun Ri is rarely this exhausted or unhappy at the end of her day. But today was special, today not everything’s gone right. For starters, she’s had a longer day than usual, secondly, her boyfriend pretended to be a stranger, dampening her spirits at SBS, and then she was forced to miss the celebration because of a stupid Skype meeting and after that she has to go home and work on her assignment while her boyfriend goes clubbing and comes home drunk, smelling like a disgusting mix of alcohol and female’s perfume. However, instead of ranting all that, she just patted he head of her very childish boyfriend and tucked him in, “I’m just tired Ji Young, lets sleep ok?” Turning off the lights, the couple went to sleep.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  Technically speaking, the story should end by now because we have already spent a day as Kim Yun Ri, but the next day doesn’t start until she wakes up. This however, doesn’t mean that someone else isn’t up. Someone named Kwon Ji Young.

  “Morning baby,” he pokes her cheeks. Normally she would have stirred, but her exhaustion from the day before kept her deep asleep. Assured at his girlfriend stayed asleep, Ji Young continued his monologue. “You know my love, I heard from our boss that you’re going to go on tour with us. He says that you worked really hard to earn a position on the tour and that I’m really lucky to have you. You wanted to tell me that yesterday didn’t you? I’m so sorry I’m always so cold to you at broadcast, but you never know who’ll see,  I just don’t want to lose you…I don’t want you to go through all that drama,” he pauses as he tucks a stray strand of hair from her face, “You know I love you so much? And I thank god every day that I get to wake up with you next to me. I feel so bad sometimes that I can never give you a stable life and a family because of my career, and I’m so grateful that you’re willing to work alongside me and let me live out my dream. But you know, as long as you ask, I’ll drop my career and settle down with you, the world gave me you and you gave me the world. I love you, Yun Ri.” He places a kiss on her forehead, something he does every day without fail.

  “You know Kwon Ji Young,” Kim Yun Ri’s voice drawls out, her eyes still closed, “Why can’t you ever say those things in my face while I’m awake, or at least,” she snaps her eyes open, “when you think I’m awake.” “But Yun Riiii~~~~~” The leader of Big Bang reverts to his childish personality, “What fun would that be?” And before his exasperated girlfriend can react, he’s already caught her in a passionate kiss which was followed by articles of clothing that are quickly divested and a scene that’s soon to be too intimate for us to be poking our nose in. But I’m not ending leaving them alone just yet because…

  “Hello, Hello~~”

  “Ugh! Can’t I wake up for one damn morning without the phone ringing!?” Kim Yun Ri growls as she got off the bed and strutted across the room, very much undressed to get her phone. “Ki Bum this better be important,” she gritted out. “Trust me, it is.” “What?”

  “Your mom is sitting our living room, asking to know why you’re not living at my house and demanding to know where you are.” Kim Ki Bum informed.

  “Oh .”

  But that’s a story for another day.

  This is endlesssky, signing out!  

===============================================================================

A/N: Thank you guys!!! I'm so so happy to know that there was a suscriber before the first chapter was even up. THANK YOU!!! And comments would make me really really happy~~ =P Love ya'll