First Song: Love Song

Circle Love

            “Jiyeon is a , but that is damn pretty”. I heard one of the boys said it.

            “How about Sohee, second grade? She looks cold, but she is nice”, the other voice followed.

            “Then Sulli, she is cute”, this time the voice was softer, trying not to be heard by the person they were talking about.

            “Cut that entire useless list. No one can beat Im Yoon Ah, third grade. That girl is the real visualization of beauty”, that was the loudest one. He hit the desk excitedly as he said that, and ended up getting a loud cheer of agreement from others.

 

            “How about the boys?” this time it was a girl.

            “Taemin is the sweetest!!” screamed a high voice.

            “Sungyeol maybe the one to compare with him in our grade”

            “Me?” a boy named Sungyeol asked. 

            “Choding Sungyeol is actually really handsome. Such a shame that this kind of face is yours”, a girl in that crowd said as she played with Sungyeol’s face.

            “Who’s the attractive girl in your case, Sungyeol?”

           

            “Hm.. Su Ji is beautiful”, he directly answered. I turned my head to him in reflex, two lines from my seat. He was looking at me too, so did the others.

            “Yeah, she is”, someone said. They gave me a soft smile and I just smiled back awkwardly. I had always been awkward and I made them ended up treating me awkwardly.

            “So, let’s continue. Of course you can’t miss out Jiyong, third grade! He is a lovable bastard”, they were already back to their topics and I continued with my book.

            “Well, Jiyong is a wild one. I prefer the messy and cool Kim Myungsoo, second grade. He is this school number one heartthrob”, this sentence surprised me more than the sentence with my name in it; a sentence with Myungsoo’s name.

            “He looks like an art piece, you know”, said one girl ‘seductively’. I was glad I didn’t turn my head in reflex for it would make things became more awkward.

            Ah, I never knew you were this popular.

 

            They ended up talking about Myungsoo and of course I’d like to stay and smiled secretly with every sentence they said, but I ended up leaving it.

            There was only one thing that could make me left such a chance.

 

            Yeah,

            It began to rain.

           

            “It’s been kinda long”, you were already seated on the usual place. There was a slight circle from the thin foggy window.

            “I guess we’re leaving the rainy season”, I said.

            “It seems like that” We both stayed silent for a few minutes; only looking at each other with fool grins.

            “I have your first lyric with me right now”, I finally said as I showed up an envelope. I remembered how this past week, I found myself going back to kindergarten stage. I learnt to write neatly and checked the spelling of all the words I wrote. I also spent tragically one hour in a bookstore to choose a paper and an envelope.

            Then another hour to choose a pen.

            “It’s done? That’s cool!” you said excitedly with a big grin. “I thought you’ll get a hard time since you don’t even know the song if I don’t play it for you”

            “Well, you played it at least twice a day and no matter how music talentless I am, I could still memorized it you know” I acted like I sulked then chuckled. “And again, I love the song”

            Yeah, to be honest, I memorized it already since the first time you played and hummed it for me. But I preferred to hear you played and hummed it for me again and again, even though I myself didn’t stop humming to it.

 

            “Don’t open it now. Just check it later. It’s embarrassing. It’s the first time people read my writing, you know”, I warned you and as respond, you led your hand onto my hair and messed it.

            You kept messing it and smiled at me. I looked down in hope you would not notice how red I had become. But I didn’t want you to stop either.

...

 

 

            Later that day, between the lesson’s changes, I check my phone and found a notification of a new message along with the name, Myungsoo.

 

            It’s beautiful. Let’s sing it together today. I’ll call you tonight.

 

 

1st                                                                                                                             Inhaling the breath of spring, you become the reason for my next breath

Having you in my sight since now become a way to live

I have nothing to say but you are beautiful

..

Everything is about you

The only thing about me is that I fall in love

 

Everything became yours

Including me, especially me

 

 

 

            The rainy season ended long ago. It was spring and even though it rained sometimes, most of it didn’t occurred when we were in school. The last time we met was when I gave you your first lyric. You called me that night and I didn’t believe that I actually agreed to sing with you.

            That time it was actually the first time I heard you sang. You were humming the other time. I asked you to sing it for me before I agreed to sing it together with you. You fulfilled my wish. Softly you sang that love song. I heard all the words perfectly said in harmony. No letting any word sounded vague. And, I forgot that I was the one who wrote the song. I studied every word you voiced as it was the first time I heard those lyrics; as it was your own words that I wanted to try to understand.

            The love song became your love song and you sounded like you fell in love.

 

            And it was beautiful.

 

            When you finished, it was my turned to fulfill your wish. We sang it together as you still played your guitar. I sang it as soft and as vague as I could. Somehow I could feel you were smiling through your singing. It was embarrassing and I was hesitant. So I ended up following your voice and it put me to ease and I wanted to sing louder and clearer.

            I wanted to sing with you.

            And your love song became my love song,

 

            and that day I knew I was in love.

 

...