Give A Chance

That's The Way Love Goes

"I think where can you be
If you know what I am feeling
Girl give me just one more chance

O baby I need to be the one..."

Give A Chance by Dark Avenger

***

Melissa decided that there’s no point in telling Kim to give Gerald a chance. Kim is being stubborn about it.

“I’m telling you Kim... I talked to Matt before we went to see you guys and he said that Gerald really does love you.”

“Oh talaga? Si Matt ang nagsabi? Sigurado ka bang hindi kakuntsaba nung walang kwentang tao na yun ang boyfriend mo? Eh di ba magpinsan sila? At magbestfriend din?”

Melissa looked at Kim surprisingly. “Oh my God Kim, listen to yourself! I can’t believe dinadamay mo si Matt dito.”

“Eh bakit? Lalake din naman siya ah? All men are liars.”

Melissa took a deep breath and tried her hardest to understand what Kim is going through. “Sinabi ko na sa’yo... Hindi lahat.. At sa tingin ko, kasama na si Gerald sa mga lalakeng yun.”

“Why are you taking his side anyway? Ako itong bestfriend mo eh!”

“I’m not taking his side at all. I know what he did, yung pagpapanggap niya, is wrong. Pero sana naman bigyan mo siya ng chance para makapag-explain di ba?”

“What for? Like I said.. I’ve heard enough.”

Melissa was going to answer her back but stopped when she heard the doorbell ring. “Sino kaya ‘to, gabi na ah.. Nagpa-deliver ka ba?” she asked Kim.

Kim shook her head. “Hindi..”

They both decided that it would be better if the two of them checked to see who it was. Melissa turned the doorknob while Kim grabbed the nearest “weapon” she can find, just in case. Melissa opened the door only to reveal Gerald on the other side.

He looked up as soon as the door opened and stared straight into Kim. “Hi Melissa, Kim...” He raised his hand in greeting. “Kim, pwede ba kitang makausap?”

Melissa knew that she wasn’t needed so she excused herself and walked back in the house.

“Anong pang kailangan mo?” Kim is definitely mad. “Kulang pa ba yung ginawa mo sa’kin sa restaurant kanina?”

“Please let me explain Kim..” He tried to take Kim’s hand but she flinched away from him. He replaced his hand back to his side instead. “I’m begging you...”

“I don’t need your explanation. Malinaw na sa’kin ang lahat. Everything was just a joke to you di ba? You just needed me to fall for you tapos panalo ka na sa bet..”

“That’s what I’m trying to tell you! It’s not true.. Whatever Niña said, it’s not true.. Kaya please.. Let me explain everything..”

“It’s not true? So what she said about you being straight was not true?” Kim was trying so hard not to cry in front of Gerald. She would not show him how painful this was for her. “Eh yung pagiging player mo? Hindi rin ba totoo yun?”

“It’s true.” Gerald admitted..

“See? So there’s nothing to explain. Forget whatever happened between us. Kalimutan mo na din kung ano man ang sinabi ko.”

“I won’t forget it.. I will never forget it! What we had, it’s the best thing that has happened to me.”

“Bahala ka sa buhay mo. Kung ayaw mong kalimutan bahala ka, pero simula ngayon, hindi ka na part na buhay ko.” Kim gave him one last cold look and then slammed the door on his face and locked it. As soon as the door was closed, she collapsed and cried.

Gerald banged on the door as hard as he could. “Kim! Kim! Please let me explain!”

Kim ignored Gerald’s plead and continued crying.

Melissa heard the banging on the door and checked to see what’s happening. “Kim anong nangyari?”

“Kim! Papasukin mo ako! Please naman.. Let me explain..” Gerald continued banging on the door. “Kim.. I love you.. Please..”

Her crying became worse as soon as Kim heard those 5 words. She wanted so hard to believe him but is too scared to get hurt again.

“Kim.. Bakit hindi mo pinag-explain si Gerald?” was all Melissa could say.

“Pagod na ako...” Kim said in between sobs.

Melissa opened the window to talk to Gerald. “Sorry Gerald, ayaw talaga ni Kim eh.”

“Melissa.. Please.. Papasukin mo naman ako.”

“Sorry talaga... I can’t..” She looked at him sadly.

Gerald walked back to the door and resumed his banging. “Kim! I’m not going to leave until you let me explain!”

“Bahala ka sa buhay mo!” Kim shouted as she ran back to her room.

“I think you should go home Gerald. Maybe she just needs time.” Melissa tried to console Gerald.

“No, I’m not leaving until she hears me out.”

“Gabi na Gerald.. Besides, mukhang uulan pa..”

“I’m staying here until she lets me in.”

“Okay fine... I’ll try and talk Kim into letting you in okay?” Melissa gave him an encouraging smile.

Gerald smiled back meekly. “Thanks Mel.”

Melissa left Gerald standing outside their house. She followed Kim into her room and found her crying.

“Kim... Wag ka ng umiyak...”

“The nerve of him! To show his face here..”

“Alam mo, nandito pa rin siya.. Ayaw umalis hanggat hindi mo daw siya kinakausap.”

“Ayoko na siyang kausapin. If he wants to stay let him, but I’m not going to talk to him at all.”

Melissa sighed as she looked out the window. It had started raining and Gerald is outside.

“Kim tignan mo, umuulan na.. Baka magkasakit yun.”

“Wala akong pakialam.”

Melissa gave up. She walked out of her friends room and called Matt.

“Matt, si Gerald, ayaw umuwi.. Nasa labas lang namin siya eh ang lakas ng ulan. Baka magkasakit pa siya.”

“I’m guessing hindi pumayag si Kim na kausapin siya?”

“Hindi eh.. Pero pinipilit ko rin.. Kaya lang siguro hindi pa ngayon.. She probably needs time to realize that she’s being so stubborn.” Melissa explained.

“Sige, pupunta na lang ako diyan para sunduin si Ge.”

“Salamat..”

***

Matt found Gerald standing in front of Kim’s house drenched in the rain. He walked up to him with an umbrella on hand.

“Pinsan, baka magkasakit ka niyan. Tara na umuwi na tayo.”

“Ayoko. I’m staying here until Kim hears me out.”

“Ano ka ba! Eh magkakasakit ka niyang ginagawa mo eh!”

“I don’t care... I’m not going anywhere.”

“Bahala ka nga sa buhay mo.” He shoved the umbrella he was holding to Gerald’s hand. “Ayan, at least may payong ka na.” He started walking away but stopped. “Good luck..”

Gerald stood outside the whole night. Every now and then Melissa would check and see if he was alright. Kim did too.. Deep inside, she’s worried about him but her pride wouldn’t let her ask him to come in.

***

It’s already morning and Gerald is exhausted from staying up the whole night. Not to mention he was standing in the rain and the umbrella didn’t do anything at all. He can feel his body shaking and aching and he’s starting to get dizzy. ‘I guess this is it... Wala na talaga akong pag-asa...’ he thought.

All of a sudden, he heard the door open. He slowly lifted his head up to see who it was. Everything was a blur.. He tried hard to focus on the person standing in front of him.

“Kim?” was the last thing he said before he passed out.