Confessions

That's The Way Love Goes

Kim looked in the mirror and checked herself out. She looked back at Melissa and asked, “Anong tingin mo?” she twirled around, “Mas okay ba kesa dun sa blue?”

Melissa sighed, “Uhhmm, Kim, iisang dress lang yun. Magkaiba lang ng kulay?”

“Kaya nga,” she stared back at the mirror. “Anong mas bagay na kulay sa’kin? Pink or blue? Tingin mo mas magugustuhan ni Gerald itong pink?” Kim looked back at the blue dress on her bed. “Pero maganda rin yung blue.. I can’t decide..”

“Now I know what you felt like nung first date namin ni Matt.” Melissa massaged her temples. “I think you should go for the pink dress. That’s your favourite colour right?”

Kim nodded. “That’s true. And swerte rin sa’kin yung colour na yun. Okay! So pink it is..”

***

Matt saw Gerald heading out the door. “Pre, alis ka na?”

“Yeah, susunduin ko na si Kim.”

He walked towards Gerald and placed his hands on Gerald’s shoulders. “Sigurado ka na ba talaga sa gagawin mo?”

“Oo. Ayoko ng lokohin si Kim.”

“Okay bro, good luck.”

“Thanks bro, I need it.” Gerald gave a small wave and closed the door.

***

Kim paced back and forth in front of Melissa. She can’t believe she really is doing this. She never thought she would fall in love with someone again let alone make the first move and confess to him. And to top it all off, he’s gay.“Tell me I’m making the right choice Mel.”

Melissa followed Kim with her eyes as she walked back and forth. “Kim, you know I really think that this is the right idea. Do you want to be with him?”

Kim nodded. “Siyempre. Mahal ko nga yung tao siyempre I want to be with him. Pero paano kung etong confession na ‘to ang maging reason sa pag-iwas niya sa akin? Eh di not being with him na yun!”

“Kuntento ka ba na maging kaibigan lang siya? Makakayanan mo bang itago yung feelings mo and *just* be his friend?” Melissa countered. “Kasi if you are, then don’t confess to him.”

“Hindi ko yata kayang itago yung feelings ko. Kusa siyang lumalabas eh. Hindi ako makapaniwala na mangyayari pa sa akin ‘to and like you said, I don’t want to pass up the chance.”

Both girls heard the doorbell ring. Melissa stood up and hugged Kim. “Kaya mo yan.” She assured Kim.

Kim took a deep breath and walked towards the door. She opened it and found Gerald holding a bouquet of flowers. She couldn’t help but smile.

“Hello Kim.” Gerald offered the flowers to her. “These are for you.”

“Wow, flowers again? Spoil mo na ako niyan.” Kim commented as she took the flowers from him. “Thank you ha... Pasok ka muna. Ilalagay ko lang yung flowers sa vase.”

Kim walked aways as Gerald stepped inside and found Melissa. “Hey Mel, kamusta?”

“Eto.. Ayos lang. Ikaw?”

Gerald gave her a boyish grin as he scratched his head. “Medyo kinakabahan.”

“Bakit naman?” Melissa had a curious look on her face.

“Uhhmmm...” Gerald hesitated. “I need to tell Kim something and I’m pretty sure she’s not going to like it.”

“Please don’t tell me you confessed to Rayver and now you guys are an item?”

Gerald horrified look didn’t escape Melissa’s eyes. “What?! How- ?” He wasn’t able to finish his question as Kim came into the room.

“Ready na ako.” She announced.

Gerald gave Melissa one last look. “Shall we go then?” He placed his hand on Kim’s back and led her out.

“Bye Mel!” Kim turned back to her friend and mouthed “Wish me luck.” All Melissa could do was wave her hand. As soon as she heard Gerald’s car drive away, she slumped on their sofa and placed her hands on her face.

“Oh my God. He’s going to tell her about Rayver.”

A few minutes later, she heard the doorbell ring again. She walked up and was surprised to find Matt.

“Anong ginagawa mo dito?”

“Wow, thanks sa warm welcome.” Matt walked inside. “Umalis kasi si Gerald sa bahay eh.”

“I know.” Melissa agreed. “She went out with Kim. He seemed really nervous.”

Matt laughed as he sat on the couch. Melissa sat beside him hastily. “Alam mo ba kung bakit? Sabi niya sa’kin may sasabihin daw siya kay Kim eh. Ano ba yung sasabihin niya? Na sila na ni Rayver?”

Matt doubled over with laughter. “Ha ha ha.. Wait a minute.. ha ha .. You think Gerald likes Rayver?”

Melissa hit him in the head. “Hindi nakakatawa. Sabi kasi ni Kim sa’kin na tingin niya Gerald likes Rayver.”

Matt wiped the laughter induced tears in his eyes. “No, no.. Gerald doesn’t like Rayver. Ano ka ba! Best friends lang sila. May ibang gusto yung pinsan ko..”

“Eh kung hindi yun yung sasabihin ni Gerald, ano?”

“Okay, since he’s telling Kim about this, I might as well fill you in.”

“Fill me in with what?” Melissa looked at him inquisitively.

“Well, Gerald’s going to tell Kim he’s not really gay.”

“Ano?! Hindi bakla si Gerald?!”

Matt shook his head. “And also, he’s going to tell her that he loves her.”

“Ano?! Mahal ni Gerald si Kim?!”

“Mel, masyado naman yang overreaction mo.”

“Kim’s going to tell Gerald that she loves him.”

Now it’s Matt’s turn to be surprised. “Ano? Mahal ni Kim si Gerald? Akala ko ba galit siya sa mga lalake?”

Melissa nodded vigorously. “Oo nga. Pero akala niya bading si Gerald.”

They looked at each other. “Alam mo ba kung saan sila pupunta?” Matt asked.

“Oo, gusto mong sundan sila?”

“Ano pang hinihintay mo? Tara na!”

***

The whole ride from Kim’s house to the restaurant was quiet. Kim just gave Gerald the directions to the restaurant and both fell silent after that. When they arrived, Gerald opened the door for Kim. They walked inside and waited to be seated.

“Is everything okay Kim? Bakit parang tahimik ka?” Gerald asked as soon as they were seated. “May problema ba?”

“Ha? Wala.. Wala.. Ikaw din naman ah, tahimik?” she answered.

“Kasi naman.. Sigurado ka bang gusto mo akong ilibre? Nakakahiya naman sa’yo.”

Kim waved her hand. “Ano ka ba! Ayos lang yun. Ako nga ang nahihiya kasi lagi na lang ako ang nililibre mo.”

“Kim, hindi talaga ako comfortable na ikaw ang magbabayad ng pagkain natin.” Gerald continued.

“Sinabi ko na nga sa’yo eh. Ayos lang yun.” Kim assured him.

“Hindi kasi ako sanay na ako yung nililibre eh.”

Kim sighed. “Fine. Ang kulit mo talaga. Kung gusto mo, hati na lang tayo? So parang ikaw ang magbabayad sa pagkain ko, tapos ako naman ang magbabayad sa pagkain mo.”

“Yeah. That’s better.” he smiled.

The waiter came up to their table and asked what they want to drink.

“Can I have mango juice?” ordered Kim.

“Make that two..” followed Gerald.

The waiter nodded at Gerald. “Ready na po ba kayong mag-order?” They both gave their orders and the waiter left.

Gerald looked at Kim and found her fiddling her spoon. “Kim, what’s wrong?”

“Sorry.”

“Sorry? About what?”

Kim took a deep breath. “Uhhmm.. I have something to tell you Ge.”

Gerald took Kim’s hand and wrapped his around hers. “Actually Kim, may sasabihin din sana ako sa’yo eh.”

Kim gave him a nervous smile. “Ge, pwede bang ako muna? I really need this out of my chest.”

Gerald nodded. “Okay, I’ll listen. What’s wrong?”

Kim placed her other hand on Gerald’s. “Alam mo, it’s really weird kasi you think that this is never going to happen to you and then all of a sudden magugulat ka na lang kasi nasa harap mo na pala siya. Yung bang hindi mo inaasahan na mangyayari tapos biglang boom! Nangyari na pala at hindi mo man lang narealize na nangyayari na pala.”

Gerald looked at her confusingly. “Kim, hindi kita maintindihan.” She removed her hands from Gerald’s grasp and placed it on her chest as she took another deep breath. “Kim? Ano bang problema? You’re making me worry. You’re not sick are you? Do you want to go home?”

Kim shook her head. “Hindi, hindi. At least not that kind of sickness.”

“Then what?” Gerald’s voice is full of concern.

“Natatandaan mo ba nung nagusap tayo about soul mates? Sinabi mo pa nga na baka yung taong para sa’kin eh nasa tabi tabi ko lang..” Gerald nodded and Kim continued on.. “I think I found mine.”

“Oh...” Gerald’s face fell. “Is that why you asked me to come with you? Are we meeting him here?”

“No, no..” Kim smiled. “Actually kilala mo na siya.”

“Kilala?” Gerald stopped to think of someone he knows that Kim also knows. “Si Matt? Pero Kim, he’s with Melissa.”

Kim shook her head again. “Hindi, hindi si Matt. I’m happy for her and Melissa.”

“Kung hindi si Matt, sino? Siya lang naman ang kakilala nating dalawa.”

Kim placed her hands on Gerald’s. “Alam mo I’m not the type of person na very forward. Hindi ako yung tipo ng babae na unang gagawa ng move. Ewan ko ba, nasisiraan na yata ako.”

“Kim, I don’t really – ” Kim stopped him by placing her fingers on his lips.

“Let me finish... After my first break up, I never thought I’m going to love someone ever again. It really hurt me you know. I didn’t think I would meet someone who would make me feel this way. Pero dumating ka sa buhay ko and everything changed. Hindi ko alam kung kailan nagsimula at hindi ko alam kung bakit. Basta ang alam ko masaya ako kapag kasama kita and I’ve never felt this way about someone before.” She looked at Gerald’s eyes and smiled. “Mahal kita..”

Gerald sat there frozen on his seat as Kim’s confession kept ringing in his ear. Kim loves him. He can’t believe this is happening. He’s been waiting for this day since he’s first caught a glimpse of her walking down towards him that night with Matt and Melissa.

Kim shook his arm. “Ge? Okay ka lang? I know it’s a lot to take in. Ako rin nagulat nung narealize ko pero..” She trailed off as she saw Gerald stand up. “Oh my God, please don’t leave me here..” She pleaded.

Kim was surprised to find herself wrapped tightly around Gerald’s arms. “Kimmy, you don’t know.. I’ve been waiting.. I can’t believe it..” Gerald placed his hands on her face. “Can you say it again?”

Kim blushed. “Say what again?”

“Please Kim...”

She looked at Gerald’s sparkling eyes. “I love you.. Mahal kita.”

Gerald didn’t hesitate as he lifted her up and spun her around. “You love me.. You love me..”

Kim’s laughter could be heard as they were spinning but ended when Gerald abruptly stopped. She glanced up to him and noticed that he was looking over her. She turned around and found someone standing in front of them.

“Well, well, well..” The woman started. “If it isn’t Mr. Gerald Anderson.”

“Kilala mo siya Gerald?” Kim asked.

“Anong ginagawa mo dito Niña?”

The woman called Niña walked closer to them. “I’m here to have lunch. Masama ba yun?” Niña looked at Kim head to toe. “So, is this your new playmate?”

“Shut up Niña.” Gerald warned.

“Bakit?” She gave him an innocent look. “Nagtatanong lang naman ah? Nagsawa ka na ba kay Colleen at Sam?” She turned her head back to Kim. “Pero in fairness, napaka-innocent looking nitong bago mong babae. Ibang iba sa mga past girlfriends mo.”

“Anong ibig mong sabihing girlfriends?” Kim asked Niña.

Niña scoffed. “Girlfriends.. As in girlfriends.”

“You must be wrong. Gerald’s never had a girlfriend. He’s gay..”

“Gay?!” Niña laughed. “Anong gay? Last time I saw him he was making out with two girls in a bar.” She turned towards Gerald. “Is this one of your bets with your friends again? Make someone think you’re gay and make her fall in love with you?”

Gerald ignored Niña and looked at Kim to find tears on her face.

“Oooppsss.. Sorry..” Niña acted like she was. “I think I overstayed my welcome here.. Gotta go..” She smirked as she walked away.

Kim looked at Gerald. “Is it true? Tell me it’s not true and I’ll believe you..” She pleaded.

Gerald touched Kim’s face. “Kimmy, I’m so sorry you had to find out like this. I was going to tell you today. Please look at me..”

Kim stepped away from Gerald. “Heh.. I can’t believe I fell for it again. Ang tanga tanga ko talaga.”

“Kim please... I didn’t mean to hurt you. Kim.. I love you..”

“You expect me to believe you? I can’t believe this, after I pour my heart out to you.. Pinagmukha mo akong tanga..”

Gerald tried to approach Kim. “Please Kim.. Maniwala ka.. Mahal na mahal kita..”

Kim slapped Gerald. “Ang kapal ng mukha mo! I hate you!”

She ran away from him as fast as she can.