Stay

Forgotten Days

 

 

CHAPTER THREE:Stay

 

 

Disappointment wasn't the exact word to describe how JongHyun felt at the moment. He had hoped to have another nice talk with the somehow timid YongHwa but his plans got backfired when he found out the young man had gone to his part time job. Yes, unlike him, people got stablished jobs and working hours that helped them survive. He had done a few of those while traveling but he never lasted long in them. Routine didn't match with Lee JongHyun. For that, he had his guitar.  

Instead of escaping from the morning chores, he ended up helping MinHyuk wash the bed sheets and his few clothes, sweep the entrance and clean the wooden floors. 

"I want to eat some watermelon," JongHyun blurted out loud from the wooden platform where he was sprawled out. A plastic bag with two small cups of raspberry ice-cream were by his side. 

"Didn't you have enough in Jiangsu?" MinHyuk fixed the big hay hat he was wearing before he walked a bit closer to his friend.

"Still. I want to eat some in your garden," JongHyun said it as if it was the natural thing to do. At least for the older male it was. "You already watered here, go to that side. Those weird yellow plants are obviously begging for it."

"Go take a hosepipe and help me."

"I am helping you, if you haven't–," his words were cut when water was thrown at his face. "The ?!"

"Help me." MinHyuk had ignored him completely.

"You just messed up what I cleaned."

"It's just water. Help me."

"Lets hear you say that after I pour some water on the bedsheets–!" Again JongHyun got showered by MinHyuk.

Forgetting about the melting ice-cream, the now neglected grass and the sunburn they were going to get, both males went back to their childhood days.

 

During all his life as a student and now a traveller, JongHyun had never met someone quite like MinHyuk. He could be seen by other like a common guy and a headstrong but in JongHyun's eyes he was different. He had seen the fearless side that people mistook for coldness. He had seen the big heart he had over that strong personality and he had enjoyed the other's smart mind. But all that really didn't matter. What made MinHyuk unique was the friendship he shared with JongHyun. He was his only friend and he didn't need more than that. 

Kang MinHyuk, even if he was younger, he had acted as an older brother for the traveler ever since they first met. He had taken care of JongHyun in the best and the worst moments of his life. When he got bullied by other people for his fair and delicate constitution. When he had cried because of his suffering. When his parents left him behind in the dangerous world. And lastly, when he took the difficult decision of leaving his hometown. MinHyuk had always respected his decisions and had supported him but he had never failed in giving him some piece of his mind. 

People, he had met a lot, but JongHyun was sure there wasn't anyone like MinHyuk. 

 

"Hey."

JongHyun had started to like the fact that he could easily surprise YongHwa to the point of making him slightly jump. This was the third time he didn't fail on doing that. The surprised expression that changed into a clueless one managed to bubble up a heartwarming laugh from the traveller. This time a calm smile appeared on YongHwa's lips. 

"Hey," he simply said as he placed on the bookshelf a thick dark green book he had been carrying. It seemed pretty new.

"I would've never imagined that you worked in a library," JongHyun said glancing at their surroundings. The tall bookshelves and the cool sensation the air conditioner brought made the place slightly unwelcoming.

"It sort of happened," YongHwa shrugged before pushing an almost empty kart by the alley. The younger followed. "What are you doing here?"

"MinHyuk left to get some stuff from his relatives and JungShin took the evening shift in the restaurant."

JongHyun knew that didn't answer directly the question but he guessed the older man was wise enough to understand his hidden words. The real ones. It wasn't quick but after YongHwa placed two science books on another dark brown bookshelf he turned to look at JongHyun. His eyes holding a hurtful but beautiful look that intrigued his feline curiousity. 

"My shift ends in an hour."

The way he said it didn't sound strong or cutting, on the contrary it was gentle and a tad apologetic, curving up JongHyun's lips. He didn't have to answer to that statement. He just grabbed the first book he found and took a seat on an empty spot he found on the reading area. While he was there, why not read for a bit?

If he was to be honest JongHyun had the idea of meeting with YongHwa so the renter could actually show him that side of Busan he wasn't able to see. But Lee JongHyun was great at lying and hiding things to himself so he was never going to admit that to himself.

"Don't you want to rent that book before we go?" JognHwa's voice sounded as he signed to check out from work.

"I'm not that interested in metaphysics, but thanks," JongHyun's merry expression were starting to get answered by the older male. "So? Where are we going?"

"To meet Busan," was all YongHwa said before they exited the big community library. The warm wind giving them it's usual welcoming while the sunset gave them his daily peaceful impression. 

 

As they walked YongHwa used some minutes to tell him about the little changes. The new store in town, the fact that the owner of the best bathouse of the zone died. The new kindergarden and how the abandoned house from the corner got bought and changed into a small restaurant in where they selled the best homemade kimchi. As he narrated those and some other small changes JongHyun couldn't stop himself from noticing the sad halo that had started to cover the older's features, as if it hurt him to point out the banal changes. Should he ask about it or just stay quiet like he never noticed? 

While they kept walking by the old but well known streets, the traveller suddenly found himself pretty lost. Had he never seen this park before? And this bright street with those big plum trees? Were they new? It seemed not. YongHwa didn't point it out. 

"Here we are," YongHwa suddenly said breaking him from his toughts.

"Where?" JongHyun was still in the middle of the street. Then he noticed. "This rice-cake shop?"

YongHwa nodded. "When I was younger I used to come here at least once a week."

"Then this isn't a new side of Busan."

"Maybe, but if you're able to look closer," YongHwa didn't finish, he just smiled gently. The expression never met his eyes. "Grandma, how're you doing?"

JongHyun didn't speak. He simply saw the interaction of the renter with the old woman and the young kid that were there. Carefuly he eyed everything in hope to find the new thing YongHwa had suggested, existed. Soon both males were filling up themselves with some rice cakes. 

 

"What was I supposed to see?"

"You can't see the difference since you haven't been that close to this place. But I am. I know the difference."

"Will you tell me?" JongHyun asked with his mouth half full.

"Will you believe me if I told you?"

The question left the traveller momentary speechless. He was just going to listen because he was curious but now that his trust was questioned he couldn't stop himself from doubting the older male.

YongHwa didn't want an answer. At least that was what JongHyun thought when the older male asked for the cost of the food they had eaten.

"Don't wait too long to visit again, young man."

The old woman's words were meant to be warmth but the cold way the part-timer gazed at her made JongHyun wonder, when had he been the last time YongHwa had visited the place? And suddenly everything made sense in the young traveller's mind.

"Does it hurt that much?" 

Maybe he was wrong but he had a hunch he was completely right about YongHwa. Wanting to understand more JongHyun placed himself in front of the older male. Both kept looking at each other, one trying to comprehend and the other confused with the unusual question. 

After a moment a nod came. 

"Then why do you keep on showing me?" JongHyun kept asking. "Why don't you leave Busan if it hurts so much?"

"Healing hurts, JognHyun," YongHwa's eyes and words managed to irritate the young traveller.

"It doesn't have to," JongHyun found himself raising his voice.

"It has to, if not it's not working,"  YongHwa said calmly looking at the ground.

"It its working!"

The moment those words were released both males noticed their conversation had changed a while ago. It no longer had to do with YongHwa's feelings and way of healing but JongHyun's covered pain and hidden secrets.