Gibson

DBU's Team F

 

Choi Jonghun is the name that my parents gave me when I was born. My birth certificate and any of my identifications state that my name is Choi Jonghun. I have lived with that name my entire life and all of my academic certificates have that name written on them. I registered the guitar shop that I own with that name, and people around me call me with that. But that's not how I call my self.
 
My code name is Gibson. And I'm not just an ordinary guitar shop owner like what my parents believe I am.
 
I work for South Korean division of WSO or World Secret Organisation, specifically in Dynamic Balance Unit. Making sure that the universe is in its right balance is pretty much our department's main job. Any form of anomaly that destructs the balance of universe in our area of coverage will be investigated and an effort to restore the balance will be carried out. Other department will deal with other type of anomalies. The world does not know of our existence. Most of us live a double life, as an agent and as a commoner - although the higher your position in the organisation is, the more likely you will work only for the organisation and do not have another life as a cover. People outside the organisation will most likely think that you're dead.
 
Dynamic Balance Unit (DBU) consists of several teams of five. One pair of field agents, a hacker, an informant and an analyst. Of course, just by looking at my physical fitness, it won't be hard to notice that I am one of the field agents. There is only one major rule that everyone in WSO have to follow. Other than the top people, we are not allowed to meet one another even when we're in the same team. We know nothing about our teammates other than their code names, their CV and their contact numbers. Every agent is given a highly protected handsfree line that only the top people and their teammates know of. Each team also has a specific connection among the five of them, allowing multiple callers in the same time when they are working on a case.
 
I have been working with the WSO for the past five years, two years as an officer and three years as a field agent. I was originally working for the army before I got recruited by Mr. H, Secretariat-General of South Korean division. My team consists of me, Bob the hacker, Peach the analyst and Skull the informant. Field partners have special rule where in case of emergency such as the life of one of them is in danger, they are allowed to meet. For example, I was kidnapped or was trapped in a timeline leak, my partner is allowed to come and help me physically. We are not allowed to reveal more than our faces (such as our real name or where we live) and are not supposed to meet again in the future unless the situation requires it. All this time though, I have been working with no partner, receiving help only from the other three.
 
But starting from our next case, I will have one.
 
We all received a notice from Mr. H that from today onwards, we will finally have a complete team of five. I have looked at his CV. He graduated from a Japanese university and started working with WSO ever since he graduated. The CV didn't say anything about his nationality or his age but it did say that this dude speaks Japanese, Korean and English fluently. To be honest, I don't have that much confidence in his field skill. He was working for Fringe department as one of their space-grid experts. Even when his firearms qualification seems promising, it feels better if he was put as an analyst with Peach. What the hell is Mr. H thinking? Putting someone with no field experience as my partner? Why would a space-grid expert become a field agent? Isn't that a demotion? 
 
"To think that Gibson will finally have a partner is a little bit strange, isn't it?" Peach suddenly spoke up.
 
"Oh, we're online?" Skull joined in.
 
"Yup~. I told Bob to set up a secured connection. Mr. H wouldn't be able to hack into this conversation," Peach answered. "Are you in a party, Skull? Your surrounding sounds way too noisy."
 
"Let me reduce the noise pollution from Skull's device then," Bob said, half laughing.
 
I roll my eyes as I realise where this conversation is going. I may not be a great profiler like Skull or Peach, but working with them for the past three years is enough to know their personalities. I admit that they are people that are expert in their field, but when we're off duty, they sound like a bunch of teenagers on drugs.
 
Bob is a troublemaker. He hacks anything he wants even when it isn't an order. He claims that he knows all of our real identities, but has stated that he won't do anything unless he needs to blackmail us. We thought he was just bluffing at first, but when he guessed the name of Skull's puppy correctly, we decided that we shouldn't mess around with him. Especially when he can literally hack into our communication device and stay silence for hours just to eavesdrop.
 
As an informant, it's not hard to guess that Skull is a social butterfly. He can get information from anyone and anywhere at all. The way his networking works is beyond my understanding. He's loud and say things blatantly, but nonetheless friendly. Not once or twice he has a hangover while working, but still somehow manage to get needed information or equipments in time.
 
Peach, on the other hand, is a sweetheart. He's a great analyst and able to work things out fast as long as it's not meal time. Nothing distracts Peach more than meal times. Despite his ability to solve an anomaly and to multitask, Peach tends to get really grumpy when he's working on empty stomach. It gets rather annoying too when he nags people around. There are times that I feel that he's older than me, but there are also times where I feel that he's such a baby.
 
"What do you think of this new guy, Gibson?" Skull asked.
 
"I don't know. Haven't talked to him yet."
 
"Then maybe the new guy should speak up. Why are you so quiet?" Bob laughed again.
 
"He's online?" asked Peach, clearly surprised.
 
"Of course he is! I hacked into his connection," said Bob proudly.
 
"Say something new guy!! What is your code name again? I'm Skull! The hacker is Bob. Peach is our analyst and Gibson is your partner!" Skull said excitedly.
 
Then there's silence. Everyone tries not to be impatient and just waits for the new guy to say something. I sigh as I walk towards the cashier because there's a customer waiting for me, adjusting my ear piece in the process. This is what I do when I don't have any case. I will work in my shop. I have a shopkeeper, Jonghyun. He generally runs the shop even when I'm around. He's a good kid. Never asks question of my whereabout when I'm on duty. Told him once that I have another business with a friend of mine from high school in Incheon, and he never asked me more.
 
"Roy. The code name is Roy," an unfamiliar voice speaks up.
 
 
---
 
I am back with a new story!!! I'm giving a first-person writing a shot with this story, so each chapter wouldn't be too long (maybe LOL. Knowing me, it will only get longer as I write more chapters). It's a different feeling compare to my Empty Hollow. The plot is inspired by Fringe mostly, but with a tiny bit of IRIS and maybe Criminal Minds. I don't know. This might be my own world too. I haven't written anything sci-fi in ages, so forgive me if it still feels awkward at first.
 
Can you guess who is who? I hope it's not too hard to do XD.
 
And of course it's a JongJae fic XD. I hope you guys like it! :D