1:20AM

1:20AM

Daehyun rolls breathlessly in bed as the image of a huge raging fire came across his mind. It seemed more like an explosion kind of fire. He could feel the heat lingering on his skin, sweating profusely while he tries to escape the danger.

Panting, Daehyun immediately open his eyes and sit up breathing nervously. He tries to catch his breath while he turns to look at his clock; 1:20AM.
Daehyun got out of his bed and shakily walks to the bathroom. He turned the tap on to wash his face a couple of times before taking the towel wiping his face.
As soon as Daehyun turns around he almost slipped backwards and got a shock.

“Aah!” He yelled, clenching onto the towel.
“Having nightmares again?” It was Yongguk, speaking with his deep low voice, standing right behind Daehyun.
“Sheesh man! Do you have to appear out of nowhere every time?!” Daehyun spoke with irritation. He hangs the towel on the hanger and goes out of the bathroom, closing the door.
Daehyun slumps down on his bed checking his phone.
“So, what was it this time?” Yongguk appeared on the bed staring at Daehyun.
“The usual.” Daehyun sighed still looking through his phone. “But,” Daehyun looks up from his phone to recall the nightmare. “I saw a red car.”
“A red car?” Yongguk asked.
“Yeah.” Daehyun nods and turns to Yongguk, “Do you remember having a red car?”
Yongguk shook his head, looking confusedly at Daehyun.
Daehyun lets out a soft sigh as he placed his phone back on the table beside his bed and lies down.
“I’m going to sleep now, talk to you in the morning.” He drifts off to sleep as Yongguk stayed there watching him.

Ever since Daehyun was eight he knew he could he see things which the normal human eye can never see. Daehyun has a third eye. He could see spirits that roams around the streets or spirits that are attached to people. He knows they’re there and sometimes, these spirits would approach Daehyun for help knowing he could see them.
At first Daehyun didn’t want to do anything that had to deal with spirits. He was afraid of the consequences. But soon Daehyun learned that helping these lost souls would change a living person’s life, for the better. So he picked up the courage to face and prepares himself for the situation. He knew it won’t be easy but hiding from it wouldn’t make it better. Especially when you know that there’s always spirits watching you and following you because they know you can see them.

Yongguk is a spirit.

-Flashback-

Daehyun met Yongguk at a nearby mini mart. Yongguk was as usual hanging around when Daehyun saw him and smiled at him in courtesy. At that time, Daehyun did not know that Yongguk was a spirit because spirits tend to look completely like an actual human being.
Yongguk widen his eyes when he saw Daehyun smiling and Daehyun immediately turns and walks away into the streets when he found out that Yongguk was a spirit. He didn’t want to deal with any spirits at that time. But Yongguk kept following Daehyun.

“You can see me right? I know you can.” Yongguk was trying to keep up the fast pace of Daehyun’s steps but Daehyun ignored Yongguk and quicken his steps.
“Hey, come on, I need your help. Please, just listen to me.” Yongguk was almost jogging keeping up with Daehyun.
Daehyun sigh with frustration and stops walking. He took out his phone and place it to his ear, pretending that he was on a call.
“What do you want?” Daehyun spoke.
Yongguk took a deep breath.
“Thank you. Well, I have no idea why I’m here.”
Daehyun frowns at Yongguk confusedly.
“You see, I know that I’m a spirit and it actually took me a while to figure it out because everyone was ignoring me, so-”
“Do you see the light?” Daehyun cuts off Yongguk’s sentence before he could finish it.
“I don’t think so.” Yongguk shook his head looking around.
“If you see the light, go to it, you need to cross over. There are people waiting for you there.” Daehyun spoke as he walks off immediately and putting his phone back into his pocket.
“Yeah, but-” Yongguk tries to speak as he watch Daehyun took off.

A week later, Yongguk appeared around Daehyun’s apartment.
It was late at night and no one was around so Daehyun didn’t bothered taking out his phone.
“You haven’t crossed over?” Daehyun said as he approached Yongguk.
“Nope, I didn’t see any light like you said.”
Daehyun gave a thought; spirits don’t usually stay for a long time in this world.
“How did you die?”
“Um, I can’t remember.”
“You can’t remember?”
Yongguk nods. “Help me?” He pleads.
“Look, I can’t help you if you don’t know how you died.” Daehyun walks off as he head to his apartment.

 

Yongguk appeared at Daehyun’s living room.
“I can’t remember anything. All I know is that I woke up one day and then… this!”
Daehyun sighed to himself. Looks like there’s going to be another case of “Project Spirit”. Project Spirit is a name which Daehyun calls in his mind of such cases where the spirit is in need of help who couldn’t cross over because of unfinished business.

“You know what; you can hang around until you see the light. Just don’t interfere with my life. Get it?” Daehyun told Yongguk.
“Great, thanks. But what if I don’t see the light?”
“You will soon. What’s your name?” Daehyun asked.
“Yongguk, Bang Yongguk.” The spirit answered.
- - -

But it’s been a month since Yongguk’s been hanging around. Daehyun was getting used to Yongguk’s presence and at the same time, it was bugging him.
Ever since Yongguk’s presence came to known, Daehyun had been having repeating dreams of raging fire or explosions in a forest; he also sees roads and cars and Daehyun has a feeling that the dreams were related to Yongguk’s death.
But Yongguk still couldn’t remember anything. It was frustrating for Daehyun because he couldn’t sleep well and whenever he has these dreams he would wake up in the middle of the night always at the same time: 1:20AM.
Daehyun couldn’t do anything but he has to wait till Yongguk recalls his memories.

“So, do you remember anything today?” Daehyun asked as he took a sip of his hot chocolate.
“No.” Yongguk answered, sitting in front of Daehyun on the dining table.
Daehyun sigh as he took a sip again and that’s when he remembered something and looks up at Yongguk.
“By the way, why were you hanging around at the mini mart when I first saw you?”
Yongguk thinks. “I don’t know. I just felt like there’s this huge amount of energy that’s pulling me there, making me stay.”
“Is that where you always go to when you’re not here?” Daehyun was curious.
Yongguk nods.
“Then I guess your death must be related to that place. Let’s go there.”

A few hours went by and Daehyun is now standing outside at the mini mart where Yongguk’s spirit always hangs around.
“Yeah I could feel some energy pulling me here.” Yongguk said as he looked at the mini mart.
“Well come on in and see if anything here rings a bell.” Daehyun spoke softly just enough for Yongguk to hear as he approaches the mart.

Daehyun walks slowly in the mart looking around, taking small slow steps from shelves to shelves unsure for what he’s looking for and hoping that Yongguk would give him some clues.
Daehyun was glancing around the store when he saw Yongguk standing near the counter staring at a rather tall skinny fair skinned boy with blonde hair who’s serving customers at the cashier. Daehyun observed the boy Yongguk was staring for a little while and Yongguk never seemed to take his eyes off the boy at all.
Bingo.
Daehyun took a packet of crackers from the store and proceeds to the cashier wanting to stall some time before making a conversation with him.

“That would be two dollars and fifty cents sir.” Said the cashier boy.
Daehyun was slowly taking out his notes and coins figuring out a way to start a conversation with him. He gave the money to the boy and was looking at him the whole time and caught a glimpse of his name tag, which wrote, Junhong before heading out of the store.
Daehyun stood outside the store and looked around for Yongguk but Yongguk was nowhere to be seen. He immediately took out his phone and placed it to his ear.

“Yongguk, where are you? I need to speak to you.” Daehyun was looking around.
But Yongguk was nowhere to be seen. Daehyun calls out Yongguk’s name again but Yongguk did not appear. Daehyun was getting frustrated as he placed his phone back into his pocket and wonders where Yongguk is. He was betting whether he should go back into the mart to talk to the boy or not.
After five minutes of deciding, Daehyun finally made a choice to approach the boy.

 

“Hey.” Daehyun greeted at Junhong.
“Hi, can I help you sir?” Junhong was smiling politely.
“Are you busy now? Can we talk?”
“I’m sorry?” Junhong was feeling confused because he did not know what Daehyun wanted.
“Do you know anyone by the name Bang Yongguk?”
Junhong’s smile faded quickly when Daehyun mentioned Yongguk’s name. Junhong’s expression completely changed and he gave a bitterly smile.
“I- I do, why- who-” Junhong was stuttering.
Jackpot. Daehyun thought.
“Can we talk over a cup of coffee maybe?” Daehyun asked.
Junhong looks around the store.
“Give me a few more minutes, my shift is ending soon.”
Daehyun nodded and smile as he went out to wait for Junhong.

--

“How do you know Yongguk? Who are you to him?” Junhong was throwing questions at Daehyun.

Junhong’s shift ended and they’re now at a nearby coffee place.

“Let’s just say, I know him.” Daehyun said. Junhong shifted uncomfortably in his seat.
“Then do you know where he is now?” Junhong mumbles.
Daehyun tilts his head slightly staring at Junhong.
“What do you mean where?” Daehyun was curious, why was he asking where Yongguk is?
“Isn’t that why you’re here now? To tell me where Yongguk is?” Junhong leans forward on the table wanting answers.

Daehyun was even more confused than ever, he leans forward on the table resting his arms on it.

“Firstly, what’s your relation with Yongguk?” Daehyun questioned.
“Ah,” Junhong leans back against the chair. “Yongguk and I go way back. We’ve known each other for years and he’s like an older brother to me. He takes care of me really well and always buys me things that I want. He’s a great friend.” Junhong smiles at the memory looking out the window.
At this moment, Daehyun felt really sorry for Junhong.
“So what happened?”
“Well, Yongguk and I was supposed to meet for his birthday but I was working so we couldn’t meet. The next day, we had it all planned out but then I got called to work and Yongguk was really mad. We got into an argument over the phone and he hung up on me. I didn’t hear from him ever since.” Junhong eyes were watery with tears he was on the verge of crying. “I tried to call him many times but I couldn’t get through. I don’t know where he is. He can’t stay mad at me for a long time right?” Junhong laughs bitterly.

Daehyun eyed at Junhong with full of questions in his head. It was clear that Junhong did not know about Yongguk’s death. Something must have happened to Yongguk and no one knew. Yongguk was more of a missing person.

A missing dead person.

What happened to Yongguk then? How did he die?
Junhong probably still thinks that Yongguk is alive, that poor boy.
Daehyun glanced around the place to look for Yongguk wishing he’s here right now so he could get some answers. But again Yongguk was nowhere to be seen.

That night Daehyun went to bed with a lot in his mind. Yongguk disappeared; Junhong is a friend of Yongguk’s who doesn’t know that Yongguk is dead.
Daehyun toss and turn in bed uneasily. He couldn’t sleep.
What happened to Yongguk?
It was bugging Daehyun so much that he decided not to sleep.
Daehyun got out of his bed and headed towards the kitchen to get a glass of water when he heard soft cries. He switched on the light and saw Yongguk hugging his knees crouching and crying silently on the floor.

“Yongguk!” Daehyun never felt happier seeing a spirit. He went over to Yongguk and plops down beside him.
There was a changed in Yongguk’s appearance and his presence felt different.
Daehyun noticed that Yongguk’s clothing seemed to be burned, torn and worn out; his hair seemed to be a mess and he smell like petrol. Yongguk’s actual form of his death was potraying. This is a sight that Daehyun has never seen. What was going on with Yongguk?

“Hey, Yongguk, what’s wrong?” Daehyun was carefully eyeing on Yongguk’s face. Yongguk didn’t speak, he was still crying silently.
Daehyun leans into Yongguk’s face and noticed there were trails of blood trailing down from Yongguk’s forehead and his eyes widened.
“Oh my gosh, Yongguk, you’re bleeding!” Daehyun’s heart was pumping really fast. He was more afraid than ever. Daehyun backs away nervously staring at Yongguk, speechless.

“I remember now…” Yongguk spoke quietly almost like a whisper. Yongguk didn’t wait for Daehyun to answer.
“I was, on the way to meet Junhong. It was the day after my birthday, we were supposed to meet but, he had to work. We got into an argument. I-” Yongguk sobs. “I was driving with anger, so I sped. Out of nowhere, there was this truck that came driving by. I couldn’t dodge it. The steering wheel was out of control. It was too late. The truck hit my car and I remember the car crashing and rolling down the slope of a forest hill. I was still alive when the car landed upside down, I tried to crawl out, then I smelled petrol and saw it leaking. I tried to get out, I tried as hard as I could but I was stuck to my seat. Before I knew it, the car exploded.” Yongguk buries his face in his knees, whispering to himself, “I remember, I remember all of it now.”
Daehyun froze watching Yongguk, a tear ran down his cheek. Daehyun felt sad for Yongguk, sad for Junhong. He did not know what to do. Daehyun wasn’t good at comforting. Since Yongguk has remembered, it’ll be time for him to go soon.  Daehyun remembered the dreams he’s been having and now he knows why and what it was about. It was all related to Yongguk’s accident. Daehyun watches with sympathy as Yongguk sat there still crouching to his knees, suddenly something in his mind clicked.

“Wait a minute, have your body been found? Or is it still at the place of the accident?”
“I don’t know… I think it’s still there.” Yongguk was staring at the tv in front.

Then it all made sense as to why Yongguk was still here. Yongguk’s body wasn’t found so his soul couldn’t rest in peace. Yongguk didn’t have a proper burial that’s why his soul was still here. That’s why he didn’t see the light and that’s why he couldn’t cross over. Daehyun rubs the back of his neck, thinking what he should next.

“Yongguk, I don’t think Junhong knows you’re dead.”
Yongguk slowly turns to Daehyun.
“Will you help me?”
“Of course I will.” Daehyun smiles warmly at Yongguk.

That night, Daehyun couldn’t sleep. He tossed and turns in bed wondering about Junhong, thinking of how he’s going to tell him. He finally found a position staring into the ceiling as he dozed off.

The next day, Daehyun prepares himself as he approached the mart to meet Junhong. It was his lunch time and they went to a nearby coffee place they went before.
Daehyun told Junhong everything he knew about Yongguk but not about the gift of seeing spirits. He didn’t want to scare Junhong. At first, Junhong didn’t believed and he thought it was some prank. Junhong brought out his phone and gives a call to Yongguk but it was unavailable.

“This bastard why isn’t he picking up?!” For the twelve time, Junhong was pressing the numbers into his phone with frustration. Daehyun was watching with full of pity as he sees tears rolling down Junhong’s cheeks. Junhong must’ve been angry and upset at the same time.

“Junhong…” Daehyun called out to the boy in front of him but Junhong was still fumbling with his phone. He was practically sobbing but didn’t know. Daehyun leans forward and grab his arm.
“Stop.”
Junhong did not move stared at Daehyun with watery eyes and a crying face.
“We need to find his body, Junhong. I’ll drive along the roads and we’ll look for a crashed car around the forests.”
“How- How do you know about this?” Junhong managed to crack.
“It’s not important. What’s important is that we find his body so his soul could rest peacefully.”
Junhong nodded softly. “I… I need to tell my boss I’m taking the half day off first.”
Daehyun gave him some time to do so before making their way out.

Junhong was quiet during the whole trip. Daehyun was nervous as he drove through the highway, looking around the side roads for any red car.

“It’s here, it’ just ahead.” It was Yongguk; he was at the back seat.
Daehyun look into the rear view mirror to glance at Yongguk who was behind, looking out through the window.
Daehyun pulled his car over at a side.
“We’re here.” Daehyun spoke.
“O-oh… Are… we?” Junhong looked. He was scared and he was about to cry again. He didn’t want to believe. He felt like shouting to Daehyun telling him to turn the car around and tell him that it was all a prank and Yongguk was waiting for him back at the mart. But he couldn’t. There was a lump in Junhong’s throat. He got out of the car, following Daehyun down the hill carefully.
“Careful, it’s really steep.” Daehyun advised as he carefully holds on to a tree while getting down.
Daehyun looked around the forest. He knew this place. It all seemed too familiar. He had seen this forest before, in his dreams. He dreamt of this place many times, the place where Yongguk’s car crashed.
He was glancing around when he saw a crushed, burned figure-like-car at a corner right at the bottom of the hill.
“Junhong! Look!” Daehyun pointed towards the car.
Both of them rushed down carefully not wanting to hurt themselves.

“Yongguk!” Junhong cried out as ran towards the car, plopping down trying to find Yongguk, crawling everywhere around the car.
“Yongguk! Are you here? Where are you?”
Daehyun ran towards the car as well and looked inside; he saw a figure-like-skeleton and knew that it belongs to Yongguk.
“Junhong, he’s here.”
Junhong crawls quickly to where Daehyun was.
“Yongguk! No! This can’t be… It’s not true, it’s not real!” He was bawling and crying his guts out into the car.  
Daehyun sighed and looks away with pity, there was nothing he could do for Junhong.
“Why… Yongguk… How did this happen?” Junhong was choking in his sobs, he couldn’t control himself, he was yelling and wailing for Yongguk.
He wants Yongguk back, his Yongguk.

“Daehyun.”
Daehyun looked up to see the spirit of Yongguk standing next to him. Daehyun stands up quietly while Junhong was still crying.
“I see the light.” Yongguk said smiling slightly. Daehyun didn’t know what to say, instead, he turned and looked at Junhong, sighing softly.
“Tell him, I love him, and I was never mad at him.”
Daehyun walked towards the crying Junhong, leans down and placed a hand onto the boy’s shoulder.
“Junhong, Yongguk was never mad at you, he loves you, so much.”
This made Junhong cried even harder and louder. “You promised, you won’t leave! You promised, you’ll always be here to protect me!” Junhong yelled.
“I never left, Junhong. I’m still here, with you and I always will be in your heart. I’ll still be protecting you and watching you.” Yongguk said and Daehyun repeats,
“He never left you Junhong, he’ll always be in your heart and he’ll always be watching you.”
“Daehyun, I have to go now, someone’s waiting for me.”
Daehyun leans up and turns to Yongguk and smiles. Yongguk is finally crossing over. But Daehyun feels sad seeing him go. Yongguk must have been a great guy and his life was taken away just like that.
“Thank you for everything, Daehyun.” With that, Yongguk turned away and walk towards the light only spirits are able to see and Yongguk’s presence is now gone.

Daehyun turned back to Junhong.
“He’s gone now, to a better place.”
Junhong banged his fist hard against the car a few times.
“Why… Why???!!!” Junhong was crying noisily and shouting.
Daehyun kneels down beside him and pulls him into a hug trying to comfort him. Daehyun wasn’t good at comforting so he decided a hug would be the best thing right now.

--

A few hours went by and the police are now here in the forest, taking statements from Daehyun and Junhong.
Daehyun called up the police to inform them about the incident.
Apparently, it was a hit and run accident and the truck driver’s licence plate was ripped of his truck when Yongguk’s car crashed into the truck.
It was enough evidence to catch the culprit.

-A week later-

It was a Wednesday morning; Daehyun was drinking coffee before heading out to work. He was reading and flipping through the newspaper when he flips to a page where an article caught his attention.
It was an article about Yongguk’s accident.
It was stated that the truck driver, Kim Seok Jae, a forty-six year old man was arrested due to a hit and run accident that caused the death of a twenty-three year old man, Bang Yongguk.
Before Daehyun could read finish, his phone rang.
“Hello?” Daehyun answered.
“It’s me.”
“Ah, Junhong. What is it?”
“Did you read the papers today?”
“Yeah, I’m reading it.”
There was short silence at the other end of the line.
“I’m glad he’s caught.” Junhong spoke.
“Me too.”
Another short silence.
“Hey Junhong I have to go now, I need to go to work soon.”
“Oh, what time do you end?”
“Five.”
“Alright, see you at the coffee place where we used to go at six.”
Daehyun flips the newspaper closed wondering why Junhong wanted to meet him.
“Is something bothering you Junhong?”
“No, no. I just want to have coffee with you, and…” Junhong paused.
Daehyun waits for Junhong to finish his sentence.
“And maybe get to know you more...”