Sweet Potatoes

Of Sweet Potatoes and Seohyun

Me and Seohyun, we have been best friends ever since well, for as long as I can remember.

I've known her ever since we were in elementary school. Our families have been always friends, especially our parents. So that led to an at least a friendship between us.

Now, we're in our twenties, me being the older one of course, and are both contributing to the Korean music industry.

Still, we retained that friendship.

Even though I've known her for so long, there is just one thing that bugs me.

I know a whole lot about her. I know about her love for sweet potatoes and hatred for fast foods. I also know about her unnies always bugging her about relationships and such. Seohyun have always been straightforward, telling her unnies that you still have a lot of choices to make before settling down. I had to endure her blabber about that. She said Sooyoung-ssi wanted to get married already. She sighed at the thought and started explaining her side. Gosh, that was a long explanation.

But the thing is, Seohyun actually didn't like males in general. Even I, her best friend, had been reprimanded by her once. Trust me, that wasn't a pleasant experience.

I've known her for years, yet I still wondered why she hated the male race. Even I thought that was really weird. I always told her that's the reason why her unnies kept bugging her.

My curiosity was at its peak, so I waited for a chance to talk to her in private. It was hard enough to find the time since we're always busy promoting our music.

But it seems luck was on my side. It was late already and I saw Seohyun cleaning the practice room. I know that she's a bit of a clean freak so it was not surprising why she stayed. But still, I had to ask, "Hey, why are you still here?"

She looked up to me as soon as she heard my question before going back to sweeping the floor. "I had to clean. Taeyeon unnie and the others can make quite a mess."

Good thing I brought a bag of sweet potatoes. I haven't really ate ever since we ended practicing. "Here, have some." I took one and handed it to her. Her expression brightened as soon as she saw the sweet potato. I think my heart skipped a beat as I saw that expression. "Aigoo. Thanks, oppa. You really have great timing. I was actually hungry."

She sat down on the floor and started peeling it. I took this as an opportunity to ask, but first, I had to first. "You have to pay for that you know. It took me a long time just to buy those.

Seohyun pouted and said, "Oppa, that's not fair. You're bribing me aren't you? You want to get back your money that was spent when you're forced to treat Teukie oppa."

"This has nothing to do with that. Plus, that was a long time ago." I replied curtly, peeling the sweet potato. Seohyun groaned. I quickly said, "Hey, I was joking."

"Okay, okay. I get it." She replied and started munching on the sweet potato. "Kyuhyun oppa, thanks for the sweet potatoes by the way."

I only nodded. Then I asked her what I was really curious about. "Hey Seohyun, I don't mean to pry, but why do you exactly hate boys?"

In my mind, I sighed in relief. It took a lot of effort to ask that without stammering. I watched as Seohyun began fidgeting. That was clearly amusing for me. "Oppa, I-I... It's just that my mom always told me that there's more to life when you're single. I mean that having a relationship limits your choices.

That doesn't make any sense. I thought. "Just because you're saying that doesn't mean you have to hate us."

"You wouldn't understand oppa." She said then again started eating her food. My curiosity increased. "Why wouldn't I?"

"Oppa, please don't tell this to anybody, not even Taeyeon unnie and the others." She lowered her head so she won't be able to look at me. "The truth is, I don't want to like anybody. Because my friends back home have experienced having a mental breakdown because their boyfriends left them. To be honest, I'm just scared to have an experience like that."

Ah, so that's why. I said to myself. I stayed silent until she began again. "I don't want to like anybody, but there's this one person whom I really like. I don't really want to, but I can't help it."

"Yonghwa?" I said out of nowhere. After she said that she likes someone, I had to admit that I felt a little pang in my heart. My best guess was Seohyun's partner in WGM, Jung Yonghwa.

"No no. It's not Yonghwa-ssi. He's a good friend but he's not the one I like." She quickly added and began fidgeting again. "I never said these things to anyone, even to my unnies so I feel a little uneasy."

To be honest, I felt a little relief after hearing that from her. But the big question still lingered in my head. Who does Seohyun like?

"Aigoo! This is too awkward." She complained.

I had to agree with her. Actually, this was one step short of awkward. It was ill at ease. "So, who do you like?" I mentally slapped myself. Great job, Kyuhyun. Now you made her even more uncomfortable.

"I don't want to mention names. But this guy is always with me through thick and thin. He was a really really good friend. Actually, we were like siblings." A small smile began to show up on her face. So she really likes this guy huh?

"H-He was my best friend. We've known each other for as long as I can remember." Her voice lowered down into a whisper. I was still able to hear it even though she merely whispered the of her statement. I was dumbfounded. The only person with that description from her would be me.

"I-I have to go, oppa. Thanks for the sweet potatoes." She hurriedly said as she grabbed her bag and left the practice room, leaving her sweet potato unfinished.

So that's why she hates males. She was scared. At the same time, she already likes someone.

She likes me. The sentence itself repeated in my mind a million times. I can't help but smile a bit as I continued to think about it. If only she knew that the feeling was mutual. I mused.

After this night, things will never be the same again between us. But, I'm anticipating it. I smiled. Tomorrow is gonna be different.

The End...


Author's notes:

Edited version! Hahaha. :D