Break Down

Break Down

Tears roll down from your face. You’re in your school’s dance room, which was always empty. You sat in the corner, crying by yourself. This day has been weighing down on you, for you just rejected the first and only man you’ve ever loved.

It all started this morning…

 

“Kyesin!” you hear someone call you as soon as you set foot inside the school. You turned your head around to see who it was, and you see your Chinese friend, Amber Liu, waving at you.

“Hi, Amber,” you greeted her.

“Have you heard?” she asked.

“Heard what?”

“They said Donghae’s going to ask you out for the Winter dance. Everybody in school has been talking about it,” she said.

“What? Lee Donghae? Are you sure?” you asked in disbelief.

“That’s what I heard,” she answered.

“I doubt it,” you shook your head. “I mean, come on, that’s Lee Donghae. Meanwhile, I’m just Park Kyesin, ordinary ugly girl.”

“I wouldn’t call you ugly,” Amber winked.

“But Am, look at him! He’s Mr. Perfect. Maybe he’ll ask Jessica,” you said.

“Maybe. Let’s just see,” a grin danced on Amber’s lips. “Well, see you around!”

You sighed as your mind lingered whether the rumours are true. That’s impossible, you told and convinced yourself as you shook your head. You’ve been crushing on Donghae ever since you set your eyes on him – well, actually, almost everybody has. But you’ve managed to keep your big crush on him as a secret. Only your best friend, Amber, knows. He’s talked to you a few couple of times, since he’s a friend of your friend, and every time he does, conversation would be very simple but your heart beat would turn abnormal. You can’t explain it, or make your heart calm down, but only he does that to you.

You lifted your head, only to find out the people around were looking at you. Some were sweet, some were jealous, some were just plainly confused. You looked away from their stares. As you pass by Donghae’s locker, you found him, with your back turned to you, talking to his friend. You notice the people around were looking at him too, a bit expectant. You rolled your eyes, sighed, and walked quickly away to your locker.

“Hi, Kyesin!” someone greeted you as you opened your locker. He pinched your cheeks.

“Kyuhyun-ah!” you protested.

Kyuhyun laughed. “So… do you have a date already for the dance?” he asked.

“No,” you said it hard. You rolled your eyes once again, remembering the rumours going around. “If you’re gonna ask if Donghae’s gonna ask me, well the answer is I don’t think so.”

“Oh… I didn’t want to ask that,” he said.

You looked to him, surprised. “Oh, sorry…” you said, apologetically.

“It’s fine,” he smiled. “But I did want to ask you something, though.”

“What’s that?” you smiled at him.

“Will you go to the Winter Dance with me?” he asked as he took out a rose from his jacket.

“OH!” your eyes flew wide open. “Uhm… sure, Kyu,” you said. He was the first one who asked after all. Plus, he’s your guy best friend.

“Thanks, Kye!” he smiled widely as he pinched your cheeks once more.

“Ow. Kyuhyun-ah! Don’t do that to your date!” you joked.

Kyuhyun laughed. “Okay, okay. See you in class!” he said as he hugged you.

You looked around you – no one seemed to notice the impromptu asking out.

You put the rose in your locker as you started arranging the books inside. You took the books you needed, and the rose Kyuhyun, your male best friend, gave you. You spun to your side as you closed the locker door, almost bumping to Donghae who was just inches away from you.

Your eyes widened in surprise to find him there – next to you. The people around were watching, most of them were squealing. Donghae stood in front of you with his hand behind his back.

“Uhm… Hi,” he said, shyly.

“Hello,” you replied, blushing.

“Uh… Kyesin?” he said.

“Yes?”

He looked around nervously a bit. He looked back to you, making your heart beat faster. You swore you could’ve melted with his gaze. “Will you go to the Winter Dance with me?” He removed his hand from his back, revealing the bouquet of red roses.

You gasped and closed your eyes, defeated. Why is fate so cruel? you ask yourself. You looked down, hoping to find the right words to say. You looked up to him, apologetically.

“I’m sorry, Donghae… Uh… Somebody asked me out already,” you said.

His eyes went down to the rose in your hand. His expression was blank, but in his eyes, he was torn. Devastated. Shattered. Sad. “Oh… I understand,” he said. He still handed you the bouquet of roses. “Have fun with him, then.” He smiled a little, not sure if it was genuine, and then walked away.

You sighed once again, looked down and headed for your class. You ignored everyone you passed by. You went in your classroom and took your usual seat – in front of Kyuhyun. As soon as you sat down, the teacher came in and started with your class.

Kyuhyun slid a piece of paper by your shoulder when the teacher was busy writing on the board. You took it, and read.

“Who are those roses from?” it said.

You sighed and wrote your answer. “Donghae.”

 

“Donghae asked you out?” he asked you as you headed for lunch. “Why didn’t he tell me?” he said. He was, after all, one of Donghae’s friends.

“I don’t know, Kyu. It happened all of the sudden…” you trailed off.

Kyuhyun just nodded. “Well, see you later, Kye!” he said as he went straight to his table.

You pouted as you lined up in the cafeteria to buy food. You weren’t really hungry and so you just bought a sandwich and soda. As you turned to go to your table, you almost bumped a person.

“Sorry,” you said, looking up. You inhaled a shot of air as you saw who it was.

Donghae grimaced, and then smiled a little at you. He quickly went away.

You went straight to your table and sat beside Amber. You put your head on top of the table.

“I’m sorry,” Amber whispered to you. She knew it was hard for you to reject someone you liked. “You know, he was very quiet in class today.”

You sighed once again. This made you realized you hurt him even more.

 

It was finally the last subject of your day but it was what you dreaded the most. You headed to the music room for music class – the one and only class you and Donghae had together. Kyuhyun and you walked in together. As you made your way to your usual seats, you meet Donghae, going to his. He kept his head down and walked past you.

 The teacher called the class to order. She had a meeting regarding the dance, and so she instructed the class to stay inside the room until she comes back. It was a free period for them.

Kyuhyun must’ve noticed your mood and so he got your attention and babbled on something that would make you laugh. That’s what you loved about Kyuhyun – he never fails to make you laugh.

“Excuse me,” Amber said. “Kyu, may I borrow Kyesin for a while?” she asked.

“Oh, of course,” Kyuhyun smiled.

Amber held your arm and dragged you away from Kyuhyun. “He thinks you like Kyuhyun.”

“What?” you asked Amber.

“Donghae thinks you like Kyuhyun,” Amber whispered. “Look. I know. I can see it in him. And… I kinda asked him what was wrong…”

“You what?!” you almost but screamed at your best friend.

“Sshh… Be quiet. I just asked him what was wrong.”

“What did he say?” you asked Amber.

“He said nothing. He just looked at you and Kyuhyun, sighed, and smiled-ish,” Amber said.

You close your eyes and sighed. “I need some time alone…” you told Amber. You grabbed your bag and went outside the room.

 

 

That was how you ended up here, in the dance room, crying. What hurts you is that you hurt him, the only man you loved. You didn’t know what to do anymore.

“Excuse me, miss?” a man’s voice asked. You looked up. “We’re going to lock the room now,” he said.

You nodded, smiled at him, and grabbed your things. You looked at your watch. It was 6pm already. You spent two hours inside that room crying. You walked lifelessly through the empty corridors of the school, sobbing.

“There you are!” a familiar velvet voice called. His voice was full of relief. He crashed into you, taking you into his arms. He embraced you, resting his chin on your head.  “You got me so worried!”

You looked up, and tears fell immediately from your eyes.

“Why are you crying? Please, don’t cry,” Donghae said as he wiped the tears from your eyes.

“I-I-I’m so sorry,” you sobbed.

He let out a sigh of relief. “Why are you sorry?”

“I hurt you…” you whispered.

“Oh,” he said. “Kyesin, even if I’ll be wounded I don’t care… For you…”

You looked at him, your eyes searching for answers.

“Park Kyesin,” he said as he took your face in between your hands. “I thought before, I had an armour clad heart. But when I saw you, my heart just broke down for you. Every time you’re around, I don’t feel like myself. I can’t even talk to you properly without stuttering. I could even hear my own heart beating so loud for you. You may think it’s too crazy, actually, I think of that way too. But I just can’t stop loving you. “

Donghae held your face as he pressed his lips unto yours. You feel your spine shiver and your nerves tingle as you feel his soft wet lips. He pulled gently away, only to stare at you in his eyes. You smiled at him in content. He grinned widely as he pressed his lips once again against yours. You kiss him back. Donghae parted your lips with his tongue and you completely surrendered to him. He moved his hand down to your arms, sending electric jolts against your skin. He wrapped his arms around your waist and you wrapped your arms around his neck. His tongue ran over your lips and your teeth. You swore you could’ve fainted with the intensity of the kiss, but he was holding you tight.

He broke off, letting you catch your breath. You rested your head on his broad chest, as you listen to his frantic heart beating. Donghae kissed your hair.

You gently pushed him away to stare at his gorgeous face. “I love you,” you said.

His eyes twinkled, hearing what you have just said. He smiled and replied, “As I love you.”

Donghae crushed his lips once again to yours. Your already frantic heart sped up its pace, almost breaking down.