Please Don't: The Unloved

Please Don't

 

Remembering an incident was something Baekhyun couldn’t help. Nor did he particularly like it.

He sat in the car, infuriated by the loud giggles and mocking of the girl seated in the passenger seat. He tried desperately to ignore her, but time and time again, he found himself glancing at her every once in a while. It was always something she did, giggle and play with people’s faces, not even questioning if she thought it would be rude or not.

He glanced at the girl from the corner of his eye, and wondered how it would be. To be loved like her. Baekhyun couldn’t allow himself to feel this way, she was after all, his best friend’s girlfriend.

She laughed once more, as he recollected the fact that she was constantly speaking to him and infuriating him, just before his best friend came home. He hated not being able to express himself.  The girl by his side simply continued to laugh.

She knew.

With another obnoxious laugh, and clap of her hands, she poked his side, picking at his cheeks, and pulling his nose. He batted her off silently, and tried to ignore her.

He breathed out loudly, and faced the road, with stone eyes.

He remembered every day upon meeting the girl as his best friend’s girlfriend. That was all she was to him; Chanyeol’s fiancée. It hurt him to see the two so happy.

No, it wasn’t that. It hurt him to know that the girl knew. That his suffering was her joy, that everything she did, he couldn’t retaliate because she always did it in front of her fiancée, and that he always managed to walk in whilst they were showing their love to each other. Oh there was so many he could list.

Even whilst he was driving, he thought of the many days that had gone by. The day his friend introduced her was sweet enough, how she was always so innocent and ‘playful’ in Chanyeol’s eyes. Chanyeol loved girls who knew how to have fun.

The girl apologised for being so rude, tapping her hand off her head with a quieter laugh. Her apologies were empty. They were nothing to Baekhyun. Baekhyun could see through the lies. It was slowly becoming the death of him.

He scratched the back of his neck, relieving some of the stress. He hated how this was going.

Baekhyun ran his hand through his hair, as he remembered the day the girl played with him, and infuriated him. Only to be saved by her fiancée. Once again. It was always like that. Worst of all, Chanyeol always sided with the girl. Everything she did was right.

Everything.

He refocused his gaze onto the road, and remembered her ‘playful’ teasing that day, and how Chanyeol had told Baekhyun to ‘loosen up’.  Baekhyun glanced over at the girl again, wondering what on earth she did to have Chanyeol.

Nowadays, Baekhyun only gave of the impression that he was constantly gloomy. He was ever so dark, and only spoke when confronted. He couldn’t help it.

The girl next to him giggled, but quickly fell into silence.

“You’re not speaking anymore.” Baekhyun noted, and the girl smiled softly. That was it, he had confronted her again. Now she was going to return to her previous behaviour, even though she had paused for a moment.

The girl looked over at Baekhyun in return, and he silently recollected his thoughts, remembering when he walked down the stairs and seeing the couple embracing.

He remembered the day the couple were talking about marriage plans. Baekhyun always took it as a joke, but then again they were engaged. It wasn’t difficult for him to remember the day they did confirm the marriage, with matching rings to top it off. What could Baekhyun do?

In his car, the girl next to him had fallen silent, her large almond eyes turning almost glassy.

Oh, but she was evil that girl. She knew the whole time.

There were a lot of things Baekhyun could remember. He still attempted to not do so.

In the end, the girl glanced at Baekhyun no more words were being said. He remembered their wedding day, the sideways glances he stole when Chanyeol was greeting the guests. It was such a sunny day, so happy and Baekhyun didn’t have it in him to ruin it. Baekhyun, after all was Chanyeol’s best friend.

The girl traipsed down the stairs with a wide smile painting her face. Baekhyun could still remember the dress, white, knee length, a lot of puffy bits at the bottom half. Who wore a knee length dress to their wedding? It didn’t matter anyway. Baekhyun just plastered a fake smile, and gave her a thumbs up. He congratulated them on their wedding day, even if inside he wished this wasn’t the case.

But to Chanyeol she was perfect. He listened from round the corner to their soft conversation. The tears threatening to spill were stopped, when he was forced to watch the ceremony. He tried so hard, so hard not to scrutinise, but he couldn’t help himself.

His heart burned, as he watched them say their vows, and kiss each other afterwards. His head spun, and he sped out of the ceremonial area, leaning against the railing on the roof, his head in his hands. Suddenly, a deep voice snapped him out of his stupid thoughts.

“Yah, why are you out here?” Chanyeol called to him, smiling softly, as he leaned against the railing by Baekhyun’s side. Baekhyun’s immediate reaction was to jump away from him. “Come on, we're about to take a photo, and you have to be in it! You’re my best friend after all Baekkie.” Chanyeol chuckled, his deep voice doing wonders to Baekhyun’s already bruised heart.

“Me? Nah, I’ll only ruin the picture.” Baekhyun said as calmly as he could, pushing himself away from Chanyeol’s iron grip.

Baekhyun continued driving, but his anger took toll as he started to bash the steering wheel. He looked at the picture he held in his hands. Baekhyun had stopped the car, by the side of the road.

He remembered being forcefully taken to the seats, and forced to plaster a smile for their sake. His eyes stung as he held back the tears, gazing at the photo.

“Come on Baekkie! Hurry!” the girl giggled bringing her husband to her left and Baekhyun to her right. Baekhyun only let Chanyeol call him that, but that girl had been using it to her extent once she found its existence.

He blinked, the picture with his thumb blindly. He watched, as he started hearing the sound of tearing paper, and he looked down at the picture. Carefully, he tore the girl in half, and replaced her, with himself.

He looked to his left.

It was no longer the girl in the car.

It was Chanyeol.

“Baekhyun?” Chanyeol whispered.