True friendship

Lexicon (Drabble Collection)

She looked at the man wiping the tables of the all too familiar cafe with a subtle smile on his face as he listened to the chatter of the few customers within its boundaries. She had tears in her eyes, not even wanting to face him.

Was she such a coward that she couldn't even face her own best friend?

Perhaps it was the fact that they didn't even have any passionate relationship between each other that made her so scared. The line became thinner, and more easily broken.

Or at least that was what she thought.

She gasped as soon as the man made eye contact with her through the window, and her eyes widened even more when his smile brightened as he motioned for her to come in. She stood, frozen in place and unsure of what to do. After a couple of seconds, a slight frown appeared on his lips as he made his way to the entrance, about to come get her.

SHE WASN'T READY!

However-

"Hey, why do you seem so shocked?" He asked, walking up to her, and then he placed his arm gently on her back to guide her towards the entrance. "I can assure you the inside of the cafe is still much more appealing than its exterior." He chuckled.

This made her stop walking.

"How-..." she began, but it was stuttered. "How can you still be so kind to me?!" She shouted exasperatedly.

"Huh?"

"Donghae!" She shouted his name. "I lied to you! I pushed you away even! And above all, once again, you were right..." She sobbed, tempted to squat and hug her knees. "You were always right."

He sighed, pulling her into an embrace. Her eyes widened again at his soft touch, but the silence took over for a couple of seconds before he spoke again.

"Is that what you were worried about?"

She remained silent, suddenly remembering a phone conversation she had had with another friend the previous day when she was contemplating on how to approach this man.

"The thing about true friends...they're really good at making you feel like . You're gonna end up hating them, hurting them to supposed points beyond repair only to finally realise that you were the one wrong in the first place. Oh, and here's the kicker. Before you even apologise, before you even contemplate on how to word your apology, you realise that they've beaten you in the long run, and have already forgiven you."

"Donghae...I'm so-"

"Shhh..." he beckoned her, still keeping her in his embrace. "I understand. You don't need to apologise."