Phantoms of Time

Lexicon (Drabble Collection)

Distance and time were the two things that plagued people the most. Seemingly always aiming for the largest distance in the shortest amount of time seemed to be the general ambition that drove silent souls wild with passion, though this was not to give this a negative connotation.

But some things just seem so far away that it they are usually deemed pointless to aim for at some point, so boundaries are always set, as if on is in the middle of a circle, and their aim is to get as near to the boundaing circumference without reacing out any further. It was their spectrum of hope with minimal unknown variables that could be too daunting for them to surpass.

It was their comfort zone.

The more one aged, the larger their circle would become, but depending on their static ambition at the time, it would still be considered chaos.

...

Though we look up at the sky, towards the stars, comparing their distance towards the goals we place upon ourselves, and think that perhaps, because stars are infinitely further away than our own ambitions, we could still reach for them.

But here's the thing.

No matter what, light travels at a constant speed. Throughout a year, it travels one lightyear (and so properly named)

Thus.

Let's say a star was 250 lightyears away.

That light that it produces with its own energy takes another 250 years to come visible to us here on earth. So even if that star were to die this very moment, we would still see an illusion of its existence for another 250 years before it finally fades away.

The rays of light it sends in our direction become phantoms of time, because even if we were to aim to look at that star more properly, it'd be dead, though we wouldn't know.

...it was too late.

 

So I guess that's what our true goal is. We just keep aiming for what we can with everything we have.

...before it's too late.