Connection

3s a Crowd

Footsteps echoed softly down the corridor as Yesung walked towards his future. Everything rested on this opportunity. Everything. If he messed up again, if 'He' took control, it was all over. He'd spend the rest of his life staring at four white padded walls. His breath quickened as he neared his destination to start the rest of his day.

 

"I can do this. I can do this. I just have to be myself," Yesung whispered to himself almost feverishly.

 

"What about me?" A voice dead to everyone elses ears but Yesung's whispered back. "Shhh," was Yesung's only reply.

****

Kyuhyun punched the keys of his game boy in fierce concentration. He was sitting in math class with his game carefully concealed under his desk so as not to attract attention from his teacher. Math was as easy to Kyuhyun and as natural as walking. He was top of his class, therefore couldn't see any logical reason as to why he should stop playing and pay attention. Kyuhyun didn't notice when the chatter of his classmates voices suddenly diminished into a hushed silence, so immersed in his game. His concentration wavered however when a wad of paper hit his forehead, narrowly missing his eye. Squaring his shoulders, Kyuhyun ignored the interruption and continued his virtual battle. Another ball of paper bounced off his ear this time and was followed by a shower of similar paper missiles. Giving up under the onslaught that was growing so thick he could hardly see his screen anymore, Kyuhyun paused his game and looked up furiously.

 

"What?!" He hissed at his best friend (turned enemy as of now) who was looking at him innocently with a pad of paper demolished in front him.

 

"New kid," Sungmin whispered, torn pieces of paper floating down around him and sitting his hair like a halo. Seriously, Kyuhyun thought, what was wrong with him? Tearing his eyes from the blonde, Kyuhyun turned towards the front and saw that his teacher was indeed introducing a new student. His eyes slid over the new kid and his breath hitched. He was gorgeous. His hair was dark and just the right kind of messy. His eyes were so pitch that they seemed almost black and they were framed by short, thick lashes that kept his beauty from seeming feminine. Kyuhyun was hypnotised, soaking in every detail and wanting to know more. The more he looked however, the more he noticed tiny imperfections. There were dark circles under the boys eyes almost as if he hadn't slept in days. His shoulders were stiff and tense and his hands were clenched tightly by his sides. Why was he so uptight? Kyuhyun wondered. I mean sure starting a new school was daunting but surely it didn't warrent that kind of reaction. Kyuhyun was intrigued.

 

"Class I'd like to introduce our new student, Kim Jongwoon. Please make him feel welcome." The teacher informed the class, directing the boy to a seat left of Kyuhyun's. "Hey," Kyuhyun whispered in his best suave voice, as the boy sat down, wanting the new kids attention.

 

"Its Jongwoon right? I'm Kyuhyun."

 

"It's Yesung," the boy replied shortly and boredly, as if he'd answered this question a thousand times, not meeting Kyuhyuns gaze.

 

"Oh... right," not to be deterred, Kyuhyun accepted 'Yesungs' dull response like a challenge. This kid was gonna lighten up and smile at him before the end of this class, or Kyuhyun would willingly denounce his title as King of StarCraft and all gamers. "So where are you from, Yesung?" Kyuhyun asked, emphasising the boys nickname.

 

"You don't wanna know." Was all Kyuhyun got back. Yum. Kyuhyun loved a mystery as much as he loved cake. "Actually, I wanna know everything." Kyuhyun replied smirking. Finally, Yesung turned to meet his eyes for the first time. Up close, Kyuhyun could see that Yesung's eyes were even more enchanting than he previously gave them credit for. The deep pools hiding something that seemed just out of his reach. But despite Yesung eyes being pretty, Kyuhyun noticed that they were troubled. Like he was fighting an internal battle that he had no hope in winning.

 

"Why so interested?" Yesung asked, feeling a stir of annoyance for this boy who wouldn't leave him alone. Or stop staring. Resting his elbow on the desk in front of him and his head on his hand, Kyuhyun gave Yesung a long look. He noted the tension that hadn't left Yesungs body and for the first time in his life, Kyuhyun wanted to reach out to someone else. He wasn't a nasty person persé, he just lived his life disconnected and disinterested in the rest of the world. Sungmin was the only person he had ever let close, even his parents didnt really know him anymore. But there was something about this kid named Jongwoon, who wanted to be called Yesung, that tugged at Kyuhyun's core. He was bored with lifes mundanity and this boy looked exactly what he needed to spice things up. To reconnect.

 

"You look like you need a shoulder," Kyuhyun smiled softly.

 

"I need two," Yesung countered, the corner of his lips turning up in a hint of a wry smile, amused at a joke Kyuhyun didn't get.

 

"Then its lucky I have a pair," Yesung's mind went blissfully quiet for a single moment in shock of the statement, before the corners of his lips widened into a brilliant smile. The future was looking good, Yesung thought to himself. A voice snickered inside his mind.

 

"Just you wait."

 

 

 

Phew! First chapter done. Its a bit short but its supposed to be more of an intro next chappie should be longer :) please review I want to know if this chapter made any sense at all. The ideas in my head don't always look right in writing. My brain doesn't work in list form so I'm hoping its not as messy as my thoughts... >.