The truth

School 2013 Season 2

 

It was the month of December and Christmas was coming. Snow had started falling. It was going to be a white Christmas that year. Nam Sun stood in front of his camp with his bag in hand. The weather was chilly and he could feel the ends of his hair standing. Nam Sun rubbed his hands together and slipped it into his pocket.

“Aish, this bastard! Where the hell is he?” Nam Sun cursed as he looked around him.

“I heard you curse me bastard!” A voice yelled from behind him.

Nam Sun turned around only to be kicked in the shin. Nam Sun fell to the ground as he rubbed his painful shin.

“YAH! What the hell was that?!” Nam Sun screamed trying to get off the ground.

“I missed you saekki ya!” Heung Soo screamed and sat on top of Nam Sun.

“Yah! What the hell is this?! Get off me!” Nam Sun said trying to push Heung Soo of him.

“You’ve been in the army for a year dude. Shouldn’t you be able to push me off you by now?” Heung Soo said laughing.

Heung Soo was always larger than Nam Sun ever since they were young and that was why before this, Nam Sun could never really beat Heung Soo.

“If I did what I learnt, you’d end up in the hospital! Now, get off!” Nam Sun screamed again.

Nam Sun started feeling the snow beneath him seeping through his jacket and it was getting colder. Heung Soo kept laughing and laughing before he decided to ‘free’ Nam Sun.

“Merry Christmas dude!” Heung Soo said helping Nam Sun off the ground.

“Merry Christmas my . That was a crappy Chritmas present.” Nam Sun growled as he brushed off the snow from his clothes.

“Whoever said that was a Christmas present.” Heung Soo chuckled.

“Let’s go! The rest is waiting for us!” Heung Soo said wrapping his arm around Nam Sun’s shoulder.

Nam Sun just smirked as he picked his bag off the ground. The both of them started walking towards the road. Heung Soo led Nam Sun to a beat up delivery van.

“What the hell is this man?” Nam Sun said giving the van a knock at its side.

“Be careful! It’s not mine. My boss let’s me use it for my part time job.” Heung Soo said opening up the back door.

Nam Sun chuckled and passed his bag to Heung Soo before getting into the passenger side. Nam Sun and Heung Soo chatted as Heung Soo drove them to their destination. It had been six months since they met and a year since they had a proper talk with each other. They joked and laughed talking about what had happened to them the past year.

“Looks like we’re here.” Heung Soo said when they reached a restaurant.

“Wow! Can you guys even afford to eat here?” Nam Sun joked seeing how nice the restaurant looked.

“We saved up to eat here and by the way, Kang Joo kept fussing about wanting to eat here for Christmas.” Heung Soo complained.

“Listening to your girlfriend now I see.” Nam Sun teased.

“Yeah right. Say it again and I’ll kill ya.” Heung Soo said and walked towards the door.

Nam Sun just laughed it off and followed after him. Since Heung Soo picked him up from the camp, Ha Kyung had never crossed his mind until he saw her again sitting at the same table as Kang Joo. And what made it worse was the man Nam Sun saw that night too was sitting next to Ha Kyung. Nam Sun’s smile disappeared from his face. He wished he could turn around and go home. He didn’t feel like sitting at the same table as they did but for the sake of Heung Soo and Kang Joo, he stayed on.

“You might not know him. He’s Ha Kyung’s classmate. Kim Sang Beom.” Kang Joo introduced the man.

“Friend huh?” Nam Sun said the words so sarcastically without looking at either of them.

Nam Sun never greeted Ha Kyung and Sang Beom. He didn’t even look at them.

“Have you been well, Nam Sun ah?” Ha Kyung asked trying to strike a conversation.

“I bet you’ve been doing way better than I do.” Nam Sun said as he gave her his cold stare.

Ha Kyung became quiet no knowing what he meant or what she should answer to that.

“What’s up with you? You haven’t seen her for a year.” Heung Soo said nudging Nam Sun.

“Don’t nudge me!” Nam Sun yelled at Heung Soo.

Kang Joo, Ha Kyung and Sang Beom stared at Nam Sun when he did so.

“I bet while I was away you had lots of fun with him.” Nam Sun said staring at Ha Kyung before turning his gaze to Sang Beom when he said the word ‘him’.

“What do you mean?” Ha Kyung asked trying not to stutter.

“Don’t act innocent in front of me.” Nam Sun said feeling all the pain and anger he felt exploding within seconds.

“Yah saekki ya! Is that something you should be saying to Ha Kyung?” Heung Soo yelled getting agitated by the way Nam Sun was acting.

Nam Sun smirked when he realized that Heung Soo probably didn’t know about Ha Kyung’s puckering activities that had happened behind him. Who knows she had done more than once. Maybe she was dating that guy behind their backs and they didn’t even know. Now Nam Sun didn’t felt like staying any longer and stood up deciding to leave.

“No. You stay. I think the both of you have got things to settle. Kang Joo ah, let’s go.” Heung Soo said as he pushed Nam Sun down into his seat.

Heung Soo gave Nam Sun one last glance before leaving the restaurant.

“I don’t know what happened but… just solve this alright.” Kang Joo said sighing before she hurried off with Heung Soo.

Sang Beom who was still seated stared back from Ha Kyung to Nam Sun. He hesitated whether to stay or move away. But somehow, he had a feeling that things would be over for him that night. Sang Beom ended up quietly leaving his seat and walked out of the restaurant. Once he reached outside the door, he stopped and looked into the big display window. From there, he could see Nam Sun’s back and Ha Kyung’s face.

When all of them left, Nam Sun and Ha Kyung was quiet. Neither said anything. Nam Sun was too angry to say anything and Ha Kyung kept going back and forth with her mind not sure what to say. Ha Kyung tried to pick her words carefully. She didn’t want to piss Nam Sun off any further.

“What happened?” Ha Kyung asked finally.

“What happened? What happened? Why don’t you ask yourself that?” Nam Sun said.

“I’m trying to be nice by asking you because I don’t know what you’re talking about!” Ha Kyung said as tears formed in her eyes.

Ha Kyung tried her best to keep herself as calm as possible but the situation seemed so much messier somehow. Nam Sun smirked before he looked up at Ha Kyung. Ha Kyung’s eyes were red and she stared back at him like she too was angry.

“Fine! You wanna know what happened? I saw you that night.” Nam Sun started.

“That night?” Ha Kyung asked puzzled.

“That night. That night you were playing lips with that dude just now.” Nam Sun revealed.

“Sang Beom?” Ha Kyung said.

“Whatever his name is. I saw you and him kissing outside your house that night on the day I got my first leave. I thought I just wanted to give you a surprise visit but I guess I was wrong.” Nam Sun said as tears too started b in his eyes.

“You’re saying you’re acting like this just because you saw me kissing him? That one time?” Ha Kyung said as tears finally rolled down her cheeks.

Nam Sun didn’t say anything. He wasn’t even looking at her.

“Fine. I guess you have the right to be angry if you saw that. But just so you know, I was drunk that night! You don’t even know how you made me felt earlier that day.” Ha Kyung said stopping to wipe the tears gathering by her lips.

Nam Sun finally turned to watch Ha Kyung. Nam Sun didn’t want to look at her because he didn’t want his feelings to waver if he saw her cry. But at that moment his heart wavered.

“Earlier that day, I too saw you outside the camp on the day you were supposed to have your leave. Do you know how hurt I felt that I saw you leave the camp even though you said you weren’t leaving? I drank because I didn’t want to think that you lied to me. I ended up so drunk that I was imagining you.” Ha Kyung said as she looked down in her hands.

“I missed you so much that I imagined your face on Sang Beom’s instead of his.” Ha Kyung’s voice drifted as the tears dropped into her open hands.

Nam Sun honestly felt shocked to hear Ha Kyung say all that. It made him feel worse. Nam Sun stood up and went over to the seat next to Ha Kyung. Ha Kyung still cried silently and it broke his heart. Nam Sun sighed before he started talking.

“I’m sorry. I know I should’ve told you earlier. That day I was suppose to have my leave, I had to attend a seminar. While I was in the army I was studying too. I wanted to study and get into college once I got discharged. I wanted to work hard to be able to be someone…. Someone you would be proud to be with. I didn’t want to be known as some used to be gangster anymore.” Nam Sun confessed.

Ha Kyung looked up at Nam Sun. She hadn’t expected Nam Sun to do those things. Ha Kyung bit her lip and held onto Nam Sun’s hand.

“Let’s not have any secrets between us anymore.” Ha Kyung said trying to smile.

Nam Sun stared at Ha Kyung’s face. It was stupid how a simple misunderstanding almost made them estranged but right now, it felt better that they were being truthful to each other. Nam Sun’s hand reached for Ha Kyung’s face and with the back of his palm he gently wiped the tears from her face.

Nam Sun then leaned in towards Ha Kyung’s face till it was just inches away. Ha Kyung didn’t back away like she did a year ago. Ha Kyung stayed that way like she was waiting for Nam Sun to come nearer. A smile crept up his face before Nam Sun leaned in to close the rest of the space and placed his lips on her.

Sang Beom who had been watching from the outside immediately looked away feeling that he had seen enough. He gave one last glance towards them before he decided to walk away. That night he knew that his final feelings for Ha Kyung had to be left with what had happened in the restaurant. He then realized that Nam Sun was the reason Ha Kyung told him to forget about their kiss that night.

* * * *

Kang Joo hurried after Heung Soo when he stepped out of the restaurant. Heung Soo was really quiet and it appeared to Kang Joo like he was angry. Kang Joo too thought it was better if she didn’t say anything scared that she might piss him off.

“Sorry.” Heung Soo said suddenly.

“Huh?” Kang Joo asked confused.

“I know you’ve wanted to eat there. Sorry I ruined your plan.” Heung Soo apologized again.

“Aniya. It’s okay. I think it was better if Nam Sun and Ha Kyung solved their problems first.” Kang Joo answered as she rubbed her hands together.

The weather was really cold and snowy. Kang Joo kept rubbing her hands together and simultaneously blew into her hands. Heung Soo noticed this and it made him frown.

“Where’s your gloves?” Heung Soo asked.

“Owh? Mian. I probably left them back at the convenience store.” Kang Joo answered sheepishly while she still busily rubbed her hands together.

All of a sudden, Heung Soo walked away and it puzzled Kang Joo. Was he angry about something? Of late, Heung Soo always kept walking away without saying anything and he always left Kang Joo confused about what he was to do next. Kang Joo watched as Heung Soo walked towards a vending machine placed next to a store. Not long, he came back with a can of drink in his hand.

“Here.” Heung Soo said as he tried handing to her a can of coffee.

Kang Joo stared at it before looking up at Heung Soo. When it took Kang Joo too long to take it from him, Heung Soo grabbed Kang Joo’s hand and placed the warm can of coffee in her hands.

“I told you that you shouldn’t forget those kinds of things didn’t I?” Heung Soo said taking off his gloves.

Kang Joo was about to answer to him when the next thing Heung Soo did shocked her more. The next thing she knew, she could feel Heung Soo’s hands against her face.

“Even your cheeks and ears are freezing up.” Heung Soo said as he placed his palms against Kang Joo’s cheeks and ears.

The length of Heung Soo’s hand perfectly covered her cheeks and ears. Kang Joo could feel her face starting to burn in embarrassment by the sudden skin contact.

“Are you okay? You look like you’re sick.” Heung Soo said suddenly in a tone that Kang Joo detected to sound like worry.

“I…. I’m fine.” Kang Joo said as she pulled her face away from Heung Soo’s hands.

“Are you sure? You’re face is really red.” Heung Soo asked again.

“I told you I’m fine!” Kang Joo yelled at him and walked off.

Heung Soo stared at Kang Joo blankly as she walked away. The way she reacted made him chuckle. It was amusing to see how embarrassed she was feeling.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New chapter's up!! Sorry if this chapter sounded pretty stupid the way they resolved their problem... I just didn't want to drag it on too long... >_<

P/S: And just if some of you are a bit unsure how Heung Soo and Kang Joo's relationship is like, I'll tell you. It's basically I made their relationship like this. The both of them know that they like each other but neither has much of the guts to go beyond more than just friends. So, they kinda wanna own each other but without actually being a real couple.

And I kinda simply made Heung Soo all sweet around Kang Joo on purpose cause I wanted to make his personality like an opposite to what people expect him to actually be... A bit different from his outward appearance...

Thank you to all of you readers, hope you guys enjoy this chapter!! ♥