Your Love Story

Tuesdays with Oh Sehun

 

 

It was Tuesday when you two were first in each other’s’ presence. It wasn’t love at first sight. For that to happen, both of you had to notice each other. But you didn’t the first time, and that didn’t matter.

Tuesdays were long and stressful for you. Tuesdays meant early to rise (which was significantly harder on gloomy mornings) and trying to keep awake sitting through your most hated classes at school. Tuesdays involved worrying over last minute homework due the next day for a weekly class you found pointless. But then again, Tuesdays meant rushing to the park after school to listen to that neighbourhood band play your favourite songs. Tuesdays meant forgetting about all the stress for an hour or two. And later, Tuesdays would mean him.

 

The first time you two locked eyes took place in the following three weeks. You were metres apart and it lasted two seconds, barely enough to remember. But somehow you do. And somehow you noticed how his gaze lingered for just a little bit longer out of the corner of your eye when you turned away; how your heart flipped a little inside your chest when your mind wandered off for a moment to daydream about this stranger, in between thoughts that all seemed to say ‘He’s cute.’ But only a little bit.

Two weeks later and you spotted him again in the crowd. Sometime in the middle of the chorus of the last song, you noticed he was that much closer as you felt his hand brush against yours. As if by instinct, you knew it was him. You acquainted yourself with his side profile – messy, tousled light hair that somehow only complemented his strong facial features; slightly dishevelled school uniform bearing an unfamiliar crest, Seoul Arts High School, you thought it read; long legs clad in dark trousers to accompany his tall stature - between stolen glances and caught yourself smiling as you hummed along to the tune. Secretly, he did the same.

As the last note lingered and silenced, right before the roar of applause erupted that Tuesday evening; you learned his name.

“Oh Sehun.” He turned, extending a hand out with a soft smile, his other hand buried in the pocket of his school trousers.

You blinked up at him, heartbeat speeding as his sweet voice was too soon replaced by a symphony of clapping and cheering. Smiling nervously, you returned his friendly handshake and rediscovered your voice as the excited noise died down, mumbling your own introduction.

You remember him nodding gently, your name turning into repeated inaudible murmurs against his lips. And for some reason, you knew by then that this boy would later mean so much more to you, watching as he waved goodbye with a shy smile after a friend of his hollered his name one too many times.

 

Sehun found his way back to your side in the week that followed. This time, he stayed a little longer, even after the performance ended and at least two-thirds of what was left of the audience turned to leave. This time, he stuffed both of his hands into his pockets; as weeks passed, winter was fast approaching and it wasn’t long until a chilly breeze reminded you too. You lightly wrapped an arm around yourself and he seemed to notice, bringing his eyes up from being fixated onto the ground to meet yours as he spoke gently.

“Do you want to get some bubble tea with me?”

There were so many reasons for you to say no. So many excuses you could explain yourself with. A whole long list of explanations as to why you couldn’t right then could have been easily drafted in those three seconds. It was simply Tuesday. And you were sure most things just simply couldn’t work out on such days, for you anyway.

But in those three seconds, you said yes.

That Tuesday turned into first getting to know Oh Sehun. The Oh Sehun sipping on his chocolate bubble tea, which you learned was his favourite flavour, between conversations in the warmth of the store. The Oh Sehun from Seoul Arts High School who aspired to become a dancer one day and hesitated when you asked him to promise that he would show you his talents sometime.  The Oh Sehun you would soon fall in love with. But not quite, yet.

 

Months passed and Tuesdays seemed to acquaint itself with the presence of Sehun. Cosy conversations in the bubble tea shop moved to strolls under the brighter spring sky, Sehun still with his chocolate bubble tea and unfulfilled shy promise. You had grown closer and it was evident when you joked around with each other.

“Hey…” You began. “…So, when are you planning to show me your moves?”

He stopped in his tracks and hid his face away from yours while you couldn’t help the smirk growing on your lips.

“I… don’t know what you’re talking about,” he tried hard to avoid the topic of discussion and his now familiar embarrassed smile caught the corner of your eyes.

You took a sip from your bubble tea as you awaited his attempt to change the subject like he always would. He breathed out too long a sigh when you began your countdown. 3, 2, 1…

 “Soon.” He mumbled instead, the unexpected reply somehow causing a butterfly or two to flutter inside of your stomach. And now, it was your excited grin you were finding hard to tame when you unknowingly clutched onto his arm, not daring to ask any more questions with the risk that he’d change his mind. You didn’t realise you were still holding onto him until you were both halfway on your route home, a tradition you two began on that first Tuesday night.

You eased your hands off of his arm gently but it wasn’t long after Sehun pulled you closer to his side.

“It’s getting colder,” he simply explained, taking back your hands and readjusting them in their previous position below his shoulder. You smiled to yourself, noticing how nice it all felt at that moment and vaguely paying attention to the voice in the back of your head wishing it would last forever.

 

It was not Tuesday when you next heard from Oh Sehun, but a Friday afternoon of that same week. He had called you on your way home from school, with nothing to say but ask where you were, followed by the directions to Seoul Arts High.

You ran there and reached the gate only to be met with a large group of students dressed in his uniform. A sea of Sehuns, you mused.

Sehun called again and asked about your whereabouts.

“Come to the auditorium,” you remember him say. And you did, making your way through the crowd with the help of a few Sehuns.

You were stopped when you arrived at the doors to the auditorium by a boy you somehow found familiar. His face was childlike and so angelic that you couldn’t help but smile.

“Ticket?” He asked politely, extending his hand outwards. He only needed to speak for you to be able to recognise him as one of Sehun’s friends, the one who had called after him on that night you learned his name.

“I don’t have one-“

Sehun called yet again before you could explain yourself.

“If you’re at the entrance, hand the phone over to Luhan. He’s the one in charge of admission.”

You did as told, assuming that Luhan was indeed the previously unnamed baby-faced friend of Sehun’s. He accepted it with the slightest hint of confusion and brought it to his ear. You watched as his face shifted into a childish smile as he nodded along to whatever Sehun was telling him.

After a while, he returned your phone with a kind grin.

“You can go in, he’s waiting for you.”

You entered, greeted by almost complete darkness bar the lights from cell phone screens in the starting process of being switched off. The boy named Luhan trailed behind you and helped to you to the front.

“Don’t you have to check tickets?” You asked, burdensome.

“It’s alright. I got someone to cover for me.”

You waited with him, wondering what was happening. A spotlight rained down on the stage and a beat erupted in the background as you looked up. The crowd cheered and you turned to see Luhan with a smirk as he joined in.

And then all you saw was Sehun. Sehun with his feet planted on the stage alone, in the glow of the spotlight. His name turning into thrilling chants in sync with the rhythmic music was soon out quickened by your racing heartbeat, which in turn, was soon out glorified by his dancing.

You didn’t know how to explain it in a way that could be revised but the way the boy moved was more than simply amazing. Steps perfect, rhythm unflawed, the stage was graced with his presence. It was obvious to you how passionate he was about what he did, it was clear that he belonged up on the stage and you just felt that much proud of him.

 

Maybe it was then that you fell in love with him, or maybe it was somewhere along the way. Perhaps, it was love at first sight all this time or perhaps not. Tuesdays with Oh Sehun at the bubble tea shop turned into Friday, making your way backstage to congratulate him. Shy smiles were too easily turned to long embraces. Strolls huddled close together changed from awkward excuses to familiar hand holding rituals. And then, the occasional sweet kisses.

 

Tuesdays turned into Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and then forever with Oh Sehun.