Classes Begin

The Melody of Our Hearts

 

It was the fourth day since Jieun moved into her new dorm at TS College, and the first day of classes. She had already learned how to get around the school without getting lost, discovering quiet nooks to work in. She had fallen into a pattern of daily life that included hanging out at practices with Secret, being forced to go to the gym with Zinger, and most importantly, going to the practice modules to play piano and to work on her song. The girls kept bothering her about adding her song to the group's repertoire, but there was still something missing that Jieun couldn't quite place.

She walked towards the classrooms for her first class, dwelling on lyrics and toying with them in her head. Our love is a song I can't stop singing, my heart plays harmony to your melody. It was a love song, and she listened to those all the time, but still didn't understand them, because she had never experienced love for herself. Maybe that's why it wouldn't sound right. Oh well, she thought, maybe my music theory class will help out. She was taking a variety of classes that her parents told her to take, such as math, chemistry, and economics, but in her class schedule, there was one class she chose for herself, music theory.

Jieun's first class was that very class, music theory, so she walked into the classroom feeling giddy. As soon as she saw who was in the room, however, her stomach dropped as a bitter memory filled her. In the back corner, with his ever-present headphones over his ears and scribbling in the very notebook she had ruined, was Bang Yongguk.

It wasn't Jieun's fault she had bumped into him the other day. They were coming around a corner, so she didn't understand why Yongguk had reacted the way he did. She had apologized profusely, and even picked up his notebook off the floor and started brushing it off, but he snatched it out of her hands, ignoring her apologies, and ran right past her. All she saw when she picked the notebook up was line after line after line of messy scribbles, most of which were crossed out. What was in there that was more important than common courtesy? What's more, as he brushed past her, she distinctly heard him mutter "...not cute at all..."

Jieun stood rooted at the entrance, boring holes into Yongguk's notebook, growing more and more annoyed as she remembered their first encounter. "Are you going to go in?" A voice from behind Jieun surprised her. The voice shook her out of her thoughts and she turned around. Her stomach took another dip when she discovered herself inches from a tall, handsome, pale man with flawless skin. Before she could stutter out an "excuse me," the man's eyes crinkled as he smiled, "a cute girl like you shouldn't be ruining your face with a frown."

"A-ah, sorry." Jieun blushed, not knowing how to respond to the compliment. The man looked over her shoulder, following her line of sight. "Hah, of course it's Yonggukkie. How did you offend you?"

"It's not like that..."Jieun said, trailing off.

"That's ok," the man said reassuringly, "he's just a little socially inept. He's actually a big softie." He shifted his gaze back to Jieun. "By the way, the name's Kim Himchan," he said, extending a hand. For such a delicate face, his hands were very manly, Jieun noted as her hand disappeared into his firm handshake. "What's your name?"

"I'm Song Jieun."

"Well, Song Jieun-sshi, would you like to sit with us?" Himchan gestured to Yongguk's corner. She hesitated, but Himchan seemed nice enough, so she followed him to the seats next to Yongguk, who didn’t look up.

“Yah,” Himchan poked Yongguk, “it’s the first day of school, you could at least try to make a new friend.” Yongguk looked up and took off his headphones. “What?”

Himchan sighed. “You’re lucky I care about you so much, I brought you a cute new friend. This is Song Jieun. You seem to have met already.” Jieun nodded and attempted to smile, but Yongguk averted his eyes. “Hi,” he mumbled. “I’m Bang…guk.” His voice came out so deep and gravelly, Jieun nearly missed it. It was unexpected, coming from the skinny boy. “You’re mumbling.” Himchan poked Yongguk again. Yongguk cleared his throat. “I’m Bang Yongguk.” Almost as an afterthought, he started mumbling again, “…nice to meet you.”

Surprised, Jieun replied, “nice to meet you.” An awkward pause, and then, “sorry about the other day…” She wasn’t sure if Yongguk remembered she had spilled orange juice all over him. Yongguk dropped his gaze back to his ratty old notebook. “It’s ok…it was old anyways.” He didn’t seem to have anything left to say, so Himchan took over. “It’s ok, once he gets used to you he won’t shut up,” he reassured. Jieun was skeptical, but she nodded anyways. Before she could say anything else, the teacher walked in, and class began.

***

Jieun walked out from her last class that day feeling slightly overwhelmed. Her classes all seemed like a lot of work, and the only class she had wanted to take was uncomfortable because of a certain lurker who seemed to be judging her every movement in that class. At least there’s Himchan, she thought. Maybe he could help me finish that song. If I can experience love…She blushed. It was too early for that, and there was no way a handsome, outgoing personality like him didn’t have a girlfriend already. He had called her cute, though. He probably calls all girls that, she told herself sternly. He’s probably one of those casanova-types.

Jieun was thinking too much, so she shook her head to clear it, and headed towards the music building. Whenever her mind was on overdrive, her biggest stress-reliever was music. However, when she went up to the front desk to pick up a key for a practice room, the lady at the front desk informed her that the rooms were full, but she could put her name on a waiting list. “You can wait in that classroom,” the lady gestured vaguely behind her.

Thanking the front desk lady, Jieun stepped into the classroom and was about to plop into one of the soft cushions inside, when she noticed there was another person. He had noticed her as well. The tension in the air was so thick Jieun could feel it, as her eyes met those of Bang Yongguk.


Author's ramblings: Ahh, I didn't expect subscribers, thanks to all of you!! I don't know what proper AFF etiquette is like, should I go write on all of your walls? Haha but I appreciate every single one of you. Thanks for subbing despite lack of action...but exciting things are coming soon!! ^^ on another note, I might die tomorrow at 12pm KST when B.A.P releases One Shot @_@