One Shot

Worth The Wait

 

“You seem to be busy thinking far away.” A man’s voice startled the girl’s solitude on looking over the sight of the passing day, watching people go by the university’s extensive grounds. She smiled sweetly at the man in front of him.

“What took you so long? I almost pulled a random guy out there for a date!” she teased the man. Clearly she was waiting for him to arrive, the young lad felt sorry and sat beside her. He somehow felt jealousy over what the girl said of dating another guy.

“I’m sorry Tiffany if I made you wait, I had to talk to my professor after class, but I’m here. See? Please don’t date another guy.” He pleaded to the girl named Tiffany. It was Valentine’s Day that time, he asked her to go out on a date. Siwon wanted the day to be special for the both of them. He had high hopes that this night, he would make Tiffany his. He primed himself for this day to come.

[FLASHBACK]

First day of college, Siwon was prodding through the sea of students in Dongwon University. He did not want to be late on the first day class so he walked in the quickest pace he can, not minding the swarm of other scholars who came to find their first class.

‘Aha, there it is.’ He found the room of his English class, his first class for the day. Siwon was a pre-law student and wanted to be a lawyer someday. He came from a good family of law practitioners who some became notable politicians so the dream was his to fulfill. Eyes focused on the second to the last room on the floor; he accidentally bumped into a random girl.

“Ouch!” the girl with an angelic face and straight brown hair cried as he stumbled on the ground. She immediately picked up her books and things that were scattered due to the hit.

“Jwesonghamnida, jwesonghamnida.” Siwon helped her pick up her things and helped her stand up. They stood in front of each other, and Siwon gave the books he got to the charming lady. She was clutching her head and bowed in embrassment.

“Jwesonghamnida sunbaenim. It was my fault not seeing you.”  The unknown girl apologized to Siwon. She thought he was a senior judging from the way he looks and how he acts calmly.

“Hey, are you a freshman? I’m a frosh too, please don’t call me sunbaenim. Were just on the same year you know.” Siwon explained, hoping to get a good look on the young girl’s innocent face.

She turned her head up and gazed at him. Siwon’s heart almost stopped on seeing her, she had expressive eyes, a naïve appearance and her hair that falls on the sides of her face perfectly. It was love at first sight, he was fatally attracted to this unnamed lass.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I’m sorry for bumping into you and causing trouble. I need to run to my class now, I’m sorry again and thank you for helping me up.” She bowed her head again and went past Siwon who was still admiring her beauty.

“Hey wait, um, I’m Siwon. Choi Siwon. Pre-law student.” He tried to catch up on the girl who was walking briskly towards the direction he was to. Siwon offered his hand to her anticipating that she would introduce herself too.

“Um, Tiffany. Tiffany Hwang. Pre-law student.”  She shook his hand not minding who he was but as soon as she realized that they were on the same course, she stopped walking and looked onto him.

“I see that were on the same class. Nice to meet you Tiffany.” He showed his killer smile that the young girl didn’t fail to notice. She smiled back at him in reply, Siwon almost fainted when he saw her smile. Her eyes twinkled and her face, it just compliments her gorgeous smile. Deep inside Siwon knew, he has to make this girl his.

Few months after their first meeting, Siwon did not lay his eyes on other women. He was just glued to Tiffany. On the other hand, Tiffany felt comfortable with Siwon, she just saw him as a good friend and nothing more. Not until Siwon asked her if he could court her, Tiffany didn’t know what to do, but she felt that Siwon was sincere might as well give the guy a chance to love her.

[END OF FLASHBACK]

Tiffany looked at him intently and Siwon brought out a garland of roses out from nowhere. The young woman’s face lightened on the sight of the red blossoms. She took it from him and Siwon stood up from the bench they were sitting on.

“Let’s go?” he offered his hand to Tiffany, and she gladly intertwined hers with his hands.

It was not like the usual date of couples in a fancy restaurant, Tiffany just wanted to be alone with Siwon in a place somewhere special. She asked Siwon to bring her to her favorite spot when she was still in high school, the cliff that overlooks the city. It was not really a intricate place to date but the night sky and the city lights were captivating.

A blanket was rolled out by Siwon for them to sit on. Tiffany sat herself comfortably and to her surprise, Siwon laid his head on her lap. He closed his eyes to feel the moment, anytime now he would be asking Tiffany to be his girlfriend.

“How your day did go?” he asked while lying down to Tiffany who was caressing strands of his hair.

“The usual. Studying for the chapter quiz, organization meetings, and working on the Social Studies project. Pretty plain for Valentine’s day.” She answered back.

“You didn’t think of me?” he asked again, confident that she would admit it this time, but Tiffany lightly cuffed his face away.

“What a big-headed guy! You, tell me how your day went.” Tiffany did the same to him, but she always knew that Siwon always give funny or cheesy retorts with her questions.

“Let’s see. Hmm, I thought of you in Taxation class, in English class, in Psychology class, during lunch break and just before I took my make-up quiz in Sociology, I thought of you. You must be tired you know, you have been running on my mind the whole day.” He snapped, Tiffany couldn’t hold the smile she had when she heard Siwon’s chummy remark.

“You’re always like that! You’re making me scared, are you a stalker or something?” she glanced at Siwon who was still lying on her lap. Siwon sat himself up and backhugged Tiffany.

“I won’t be a stalker anymore if you just answer my question.” His chin was on her shoulders and his arms embraced her small body.

“What’s that?” she was curious of what it was and she had no idea of it.

Siwon’s heart was beating fast, it was ready to jump out of him any minute from now. He couldn’t explain the mixture of feels he had at that moment but he knew that he had to make his move.

“Would you be my girlfriend Tiffany?”

Tiffany’s eyes shifted from the cityscape to him. Siwon was staring at her attentively, he was waiting for her response, nervous as any guy would be. She felt her heart beating unusually, as if telling her that he was the one.

“I love you too.”  Then she placed a quick kiss on his left cheek. It was not the answer Siwon was expecting but it was more than what he would ask for. On the other hand, Tiffany kept her eyes away from him, she did not see what Siwon’s reaction was but she knew he was happy.

“So would that be a yes?” Siwon cupped her face into his direction, the girl nodded at him and smiled her sweetest to him. Their faces were only centimeters apart, the sense of their own breaths and how intimate the moment was. Siwon motioned closer and met her lips, finally making out with what he feels inside. He pulled apart and got something from his pocket, it was a ring he bought months ago, Siwon got hold of Tiffany’s hands and slid the ring on one of her slender fingers. Tiffany got a good look at it and turned to Siwon who was still smiling at her, she came close to his face for another kiss.

“I love you.”  Were the only words Siwon could say at the moment.

***

It was only a month before graduation, everyone was stoked and making plans for their future careers. Siwon could not ask for anything right now since the day he and Tiffany got together. In fact, he had one thing in mind after graduation, to marry her.

It was a windy day and the couple decided to meet somewhere, Siwon personally was excited to meet Tiffany that day. He had good news for her, and he wanted Tiffany to be the first person to know.

 

[FLASHBACK]

“Hey Choi Siwon, Director Jang wants to meet you in his office.” A random kid from his thesis class said to him. He was curious why the school director wanted to see him. He tried remembering what things he had done the past few days to earn the attention of the school head.

Siwon knocked three times on the mahogany door that was marked ‘Director General’. Not too long, he came in with a meek face and a trembling confidence.

“Um, someone said you were looking for me.” Siwon said in his lightest voice. The director who was signing papers at that time was startled by his presence and looked up to his position.

“Oh, Mr. Choi, please have a seat.” Director Jang pointed to a leather seat in front of him. Siwon scurried and comforted himself on the chair. He was wandering his eyes around the office. Clearly, it was his first time to be here, not once in his college life he was summoned to this office, only for today.

Director Jang was rummaging through his paperwork collection on his desk. Siwon wanted to ask what was going on but he did not attempt to interrupt.

“Aha, here it is. Mr. Choi, UCLA in the United States is offering you a continuation of your pre-law studies. They got a hold of your class cards and they have chosen you to be one of the students to be sent there for a scholarship program.” the director handed out the letter to Siwon, as soon as he got hold of it his eyes widened in surprise to see his name on the letter.

“Um, uh, Wh-when is this effective?” he asked inquisitively. It was such a big fortune but it was not of the right timing. Siwon has plans after graduation, and one of those plans was marrying Tiffany.

“Right after graduation son. You have to be there as soon as the next school year starts.” He gulped on hearing the date of his possible leave. Law school, it was one of his dreams to be a doctor but getting into law school means being away from Tiffany for a span of years. Siwon might not take it, he can’t.

“Um, I’m sorry sir but, I already have plans after graduation. You should pick somebody else.” Siwon returned the letter apologetically. The school director frowned upon the young boy’s decision.

“Mr. Choi, I don’t understand, you have come from a family of law practitioners, and this is a chance of a lifetime. A lot have been pleading out there just to get into law school and here you are, offered with this thing yet you don’t want to pursue? Is there something wrong?” the Director asked him back disappointingly.

“No sir. It’s just that I’m committed to something right now. Law school is not my priority at the moment.” He tried to sound as polite as possible but he can’t state his personal reasons of marrying his girlfriend.

“Think this over Mr. Choi, I will give you a week. Piece of advice, your parents will be much proud of you if you get to finish your pre-law course but remember, the pressure of being a good lawyer is still in you.” The director handed out like it was cold turkey.

Siwon stood up from his seat and bowed at the school director. Closing the office’s mahogany door, he breathed deeply. Trying to get what’s on his thoughts. One week, just one week. Think it over son, he said to himself.

[END OF FLASHBACK]

Siwon was waiting on their usual spot at the park. It was a nice day to stroll around and watch people go by. His eyes were fastened to some kids playing around, wouldn’t it be nice if he and Tiffany soon will have kids too. He was so immersed at the thought when somebody poked him from behind.

“Wow! Your thoughts are fleeing Mr. Choi!” Tiffany teased as soon as Siwon gave her his attention. She sat beside him and gave him a kiss on his cheek.

“I got something to tell you today.” Siwon said while smiling to her. Sometimes he could not understand how lucky he is having Tiffany by his side. It was too much to ask for a loving girlfriend.

“Really? Me too!” Tiffany exclaimed in her high pitch voice. She is always like that when she excited. Meanwhile, Siwon was probing on what Tiffany was going to say. He didn’t have an idea of what it was.

“Okay, you first.” He motioned his head to her.

“No, you first!” she said with her despicable cute aegyo.

“Huh. Okay, I’m going to UCLA for law school. I got into scholarship.” He smiled then looked in her eyes for some reaction. He was expecting to see some sad face because of him going away but he had high hopes she would understand.

Tiffany was taken aback by what Siwon said, now she doesn’t know how she would open up herself to Siwon. She was in deep thought when Siwon shook her out of spacing out.

“Hey? You told me you had to say something? What was that?” Tiffany snapped and stared at Siwon. She faked a smile and hugged him tight, Siwon was surprised by her reaction but the affection his girlfriend was showing was not bad at all.

“Um, I’m happy for you. I just wanted to say that I’m..” as soon as they parted from the hug and Tiffany spoke, cold air grew around them.

“You’re?” Siwon was dying of curiosity to know what Tiffany was up to. He was scared because her bubbly mood suddenly shifted into a serious one.

“I’m leaving after graduation. Siwon, we need to break up.”

His world came crumbling down as soon as he heard those words from her lips. Siwon was clueless why Tiffany would do such thing. He thought they were going to be together for the rest of their lives, but now it seems impossible. She stood there, not letting any emotion out, of if she never loved him.

[FLASHBACK]                      

Tiffany felt nauseated early in the morning and went straight to the bathroom to throw up. It has been days since this has been happening. She felt weak and she wondered what has gotten into her. She was thinking of what she ate the past few days, or something peculiar to trigger her sickness. Then she remembered, it was almost a month since her last period.

Without wasting a second, Tiffany went to the medicine cabinet and got hold of a PT. After a little while, the results showed up and there were two lines. It was positive, she is carrying Siwon’s baby.

At first, she didn’t want to tell Siwon but she contemplated that her boyfriend is not that kind of guy that will leave her in that situation. When Siwon texted her to meet up, she resolved to say it to him, it was all or nothing. She wanted Siwon to know that she was pregnant.

[END OF FLASHBACK]

“Why Tiffany?! Why?!” she was shaking Tiffany the whole time eager she would speak up of the sudden break up, but it just frustrated him more when Tiffany would sit down silent. He was almost in tears, begging her for answers.

“If it’s about me leaving, I will stay. Would you please tell me why!?” He said firmly. Tiffany had the urge to say it but she just couldn’t. She couldn’t take Siwon being away from his dreams, being away to what his parents wanted him to be. She didn’t want the baby to be a distraction for his future.

“I’m so sorry Siwon, I loved you. I love you so much but I just had to do this.” Tears were forming in the corner of her eyes and Siwon was holding her close, not willing to let go.

“No, Tiffany. No. You can’t. I’ll wait. Please. Just please, don’t leave me.” He was already crying his heart out, not minding if he looked pitiful or what. Siwon never dreamed of this nightmare to happen, he wished he could turn back time and start from where he was gone wrong.

“I’m sorry Siwon, I made up my mind.” Tiffany stood up and walked slowly away from him. Before she could get any farther, Siwon spoke to her.

“I won’t let go until you give me reasons Tiffany. I will wait. Even if it takes forever.” Those words pierced through her heart. She doesn’t know what has been going on inside of her that she decided to be away. Tiffany thought it would be for the better, for him to find his own happiness.

 

 

***5 years later***

Siwon was trudging his way through the airport so not to startle the media. He has now finished his law school and graduated top of his class. A little after finishing his studies, he worked for the Korean embassy in the States as a consul and earned a lot of attention since he was son of the biggest political clans in their country. Today, was his first time to go back to Seoul after five years, and his heart still wandered somewhere, expectant to meet this one person.

“Ji Hyeon please hurry up, you’re going to be late for school!” Tiffany shouted out to her five year old son. It has been a while since Tiffany got back from Japan, her parents decided to move there for business and she willingly went with them.

Tiffany got into her office a little after nine. She was working for the government as a legal consultant. As soon as she sat down her leather seat, she grabbed the newspaper to see what’s on today’s headlines. Page after page, she turned for something interesting, until one headline caught her eye.

‘Consul Choi Siwon is Going To Be Married to Park Hye So?’

That name. She hasn’t heard of it for quite a while but she knew he was really famous now. When she got back in Korea, most people talked about him and how young he was to achieve things. Tiffany tried to skim the article for information.

‘Consul Choi Siwon, son of the legislator Choi Jeon Kang is rumored to be dating celebrity Park Hye So. In some photos spreading all over the internet, the two showed close bonds when Hye So visited US for a vacation. Amidst these photos rose the rumor that the Consul might be engaged to the female celebrity.’

She didn’t continue anymore and stopped to her senses. Tiffany brought the paper down and thought to herself, why is she feeling jealousy when they are not together anymore? It has been five years and she should get over him. But no, she was lying to herself. Siwon was not easy to forget, because she kept holding on to his last words before they separated.

***

It was late in the afternoon after fetching her son, Tiffany decided to pass by a local coffee shop for a macchiato. She was hand in hand with Ji Yeon and they entered the café, Ji Yeon signaled that he would use the comfort room first while Tiffany was waiting for her coffee.

Her eyes was lost on the vehicles that come and go outside. Still remembering what she read earlier, is he really getting married? What happened to his promise? Her deep thinking was disconcerted when the barista called her name and her coffee was ready to pick up.

Tiffany got her paper cup and motioned to get back to her car, she was towards the exit when she bumped into a guy, almost close to spilling the coffee on him.

“Oh, jwesonghamnida. Jwesonghamnida.” She said while bowing to the unknown man. When Tiffany shot up, her eyes grew wide because of who she saw.

Choi Siwon.

The man he was thinking about minutes ago.

“Tiffany?” he managed to say her name. Siwon was still stunned by her beauty. It was timeless, she was still glowing and her innocent face was still there though she aged a bit.

Tiffany could not move an inch from that moment. He was back. She wanted to hug him and kiss him like before. Tell him how her heart aches for him when the day they broke up, but then again.

“Umma! What’s taking so long?” Ji Hyeon showed up to see where his mom was. Siwon was surprised when the kid went to Tiffany and held her hand. He was puzzled, ‘is she married to someone else? Since when?’ he wanted answers, right at that moment.

“Tiffany. Can we talk for a moment?” Siwon asked her. Tiffany was just stiff and wanted to turn away from him, run away like she did but her heart won’t stop beating like crazy this time. She had to give a chance.

***

The two had a walk along the park. It was silent and there was a sting of awkwardness after not meeting for so many years. No one tried to break the silence.

“Are you married?”

“Are you married?”

They started the same question at the same time. Siwon chuckled and Tiffany just looked away. Siwon moved to where her attention was, eager to find out the truth.

“Why did you leave, Tiffany?” a question that scarred them for years. All this time, Siwon still didn’t know of what the probable cause of Tiffany’s sudden break up was.

“Siwon, you have your future to catch on. I think it was the right thing to do.” Tiffany answered him vaguely which made the lad frustrated.

“Who’s Ji Hyeon’s father? Is he the reason why you left me? You had another guy before me? Huh? Answer me! Don’t make me look like a fool here!” Siwon managed to raise his voice at Tiffany thought he didn’t intended to. Tiffany wanted to break out in anger with Siwon provoking him. It was not true. She didn’t had any other man before Siwon, she was hurt that Siwon thought of it that way.

“Yes. It’s because of Ji Hyeon’s father why I left you!” she shouted out. Siwon could not believe what he just heard, he was hurting all the time for someone who didn’t love him back he thought.

“Who is he Tiffany?! Who is he?!” he was to the point of crushing the bones of who stole his girl to him when Tiffany blurted out,

“It’s you Siwon! You’re Ji Hyeon’s father!” then she broke out in tears, upset of how their accidental meeting turned into a confession. Siwon could not believe of what she just said, it was coming to him, the reason of why Tiffany broke up with him. It was so selfish of him not to mind her.

“Why? Why did you keep this from me? Why??” she shook Tiffany while getting a hold of her shoulders.

“Because you had your plans Siwon! I didn’t want to ruin that. I didn’t want the baby to stop you from doing so!” she snapped at him with tears flowing constantly out of her eyes. Siwon felt miserable , he hugged her tight not wanting to let go of her anymore.

“Tiffany I’m sorry. Let me make up to you. Please, let me make up to you. Let me be a father to our son. I’m sorry for leaving. Just please, give me another chance.” He whispered in their embrace. Tiffany couldn’t feel anything but the fact that Siwon was taking her back.

“I love you Tiffany, that never changed since we broke up. I kept my promise, I’ll be waiting right?” Siwon brought their foreheads together, gazing at her closely and wiping her tears with his fingers. It did not take long when he motioned for a kiss, which the girl gladly returned, and just like that, a lost love was found.

***

“Ji Hyeon-ah..” Tiffany called her five year old closer. She was about to introduce Siwon to him.

“Neh, umma?”

“Ji Hyeon-ah, I would like you to meet your appa.” She said wetly while she was carrying her son in her arms.

“Really? Appa is back?” Tiffany lied to her son about his appa being away and coming back at an indefinite time. She couldn’t believe herself that this day would come, that Ji Hyeon would finally meet his father.

“Ji Hyeon-ah, that’s appa. Siwon appa.” Tiffany pointed to the man standing few meters away from them. Siwon saw them approaching and motioned closer to his son.

“You must be Ji Hyeon. My, you’re a big kid already! Do you know me? I’m your appa.” Siwon smiled sweetly at the five year old who seemed to be still unfamiliar of him.

“Ji Hyeon-ah, go to appa. Say how much you missed appa.” Tiffany let Siwon carry their son. Siwon looked at his son with love, he could feel that the kid was a real part of him.

“Appa, you’re not going to leave umma and me anymore right?” Siwon was surprised with the question but he never declined to answer.

“Appa is here to stay Ji Hyeon-ah. He won’t leave you or umma anymore.” He kissed his son’s check and Ji Hyeon hugged him back. It was a nice feeling that he finally found that one person he lost for quite some time, and it was always worth the wait.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: EEEEK! Hehehe, I'm back but with a one shot. Sorry for not updating my stories! Will try once ideas get into my crazy mind. Tell me what you think of this, at first I wanted to have a sad ending but I just can't take it. Kekekeke! :)) Thanks for reading!