Black Leather

City of Lies

 

The lobby was huge; the celling raised at least a couple stories. It was furnished in almost all whites, blacks and silvers with some hints of gold. It spoke a sort of elegant royalty, like it was proving a point without really shoving it in your face. Chaerin gaped at the enormity of it all though she expressed none of her excitement. The girl turned to whoever was next to her and whispered, “He’s compensating for something, am I right?”

The woman sitting next to her replied with a glare as cold as ice. Chaerin rolled her eyes and turned her attention back to the form she was supposed to be filling out. This was completely unnecessary as she’d turned in all her credentials when she’d applied for the damn job, but she didn’t protest. Her employer must have been really thorough, either that or he hadn’t bothered to keep any of the papers she’d sent. The blonde guessed the latter, rolling her eyes again at her own thought.

The black leather seat beneath her began to squeak, perhaps the leather dress was a bad idea? Chaerin quickly checked below her to see how bad it really was. She’d dressed outlandishly couture today, knowing that she was applying for a job as a stylist and that her employer was known for his own extravagant wardrobe. She wanted to impress him with her choice in fashion, besides weren’t first impressions the most important? Now that she thought about it, she was the only one in the room even dressed for the part. Everyone else seemed to be dressed in business clothes, suits and jackets whereas Chaerin was decked out in silver and pink pumps, black shiny tights, a form fitting leather tank dress, and an intricately designed hot pink pieced jacket. Her long blonde hair was done up in a perfect high pony tail, showing off her lean face. Chaerin shrugged off her negative thoughts, she was fabulous and surely her future boss would agree.

The large door leading to the office opened and a petite girl walked out. Her face read defeat and she attempted to hide it using her long brown hair. She managed to take a few steps before tripping over her own feet and landing gracefully on the carpet. “Tch,” Chaerin scoffed under her breath as a couple of the male candidates rushed to help the clumsy girl up. She hated girls like that; girls who begged for attention even after they’d failed. Seeing the secretary motion to her, Chaerin got up and strutted towards the entrance. Before entering she looked down at the brown-haired girl and smiled, “Don’t worry, you’ll have a great career in acting.”

If the lobby hadn’t been impressive enough, the office was magnificent. The entire back wall was composed of panels of windows, looking out onto the bright Seoul afternoon. On either side of her were walls made into book shelves. Both shelves reached the ceiling and were filled to the brim with books and various knick-knacks. A few shelves were even dedicated to housing awards. In the center there was a huge desk cluttered in a way that made it look as if it was all on purpose, and behind it sat the man she’d been praying to meet.

“Ah, Lee Chaerin,” the man called motioning her towards the empty seat in front of him, “Quite an entrance you made.”

Chaerin bowed, “Mr. Kwon,” she approached him showing no sense of nervousness though she was filled with it, “Entrance? I’m sorry, I don’t understand.”

Kwon Jiyong motioned towards the door, “The girl, you really told her.” He smirked at her and she couldn’t tell if he was proud or not.

“You saw that?” She smirked back, playing his tone back to him. She didn’t want to come off as weak; she wanted to prove to him he couldn’t intimidate her.

“It was humorous if anything,” he said, relaxing in his chair. This formal tone didn’t seem to fit him, but she figured it was some sort of authority thing. “So miss Lee Chaerin, hmm, CL, may I call you that?” —he didn’t wait for a response—“Ah, yes, CL, I must say I’m very impressed. You’ve got quite the resume and very impressive appeal. I think we both know that you’ve got the job, yes?” this time he waited for her response. She shrugged smugly, but said nothing more. Jiyong continued, “So you must know why you’re here right?”

“To pick an office room?” Chaerin said sarcastically.

Jiyong chuckled, you wouldn’t have been able to tell it was fake, “Not quite, I needed to see you in person, see how you were with others. I sure hope you won’t treat your clients like you treated miss Seohyun,” the man looked stern, but even that had a twinge of fakeness to it, “Also I needed to discuss something with you, the position has been changed.”

“Excuse me?” Chaerin couldn’t contain her emotions, but she quickly recovered.

“Nothing bad, it’s just you seemed over qualified for the stylist job,” Jiyong answered, “Think if it as an early promotion. It’s my current secretary, you see, she’s rather annoying. I’ve been wanting to get rid of her for a while but it just wasn’t working and then you came along. Beautiful, talented, and with references that even impressed me, you were perfect. I hope you won’t mind, the pay’s better and you get better hours, promise.”

Mr. Kwon talked so fast that it took Chaerin a moment to process her thoughts. On one hand she’d be giving up the aspect of the job she really wanted, but on the other she’d get way better working conditions and have the opportunity to be very close to Mr. Kwon himself. “Well, it’s like you said, Mr. Kwon,” CL smirked, “I think we both know that I’m taking the job.”

---

The young CEO leaned back on his chair and rested his feet on his desk. At this angle he could see the majority of Seoul, the tops of the buildings stretching out into the rivers that surrounded it. The afternoon was slowly wandering into the evening and twilight was abundant with its rays of bright oranges and pinks. He rested his hands on his temples and massaged them gently. His migraines were starting to annoy him, but there was nothing he could do. He would have to wait a little longer, maybe then he could remedy himself.

The raven haired man was just beginning to relax when the high pitched tone of his phone rang. He grunted and pushed a button, “Kwon leader.”

 “Ah, yes, Kwon-ssi,” his secretary called, her voice panicked as usual, “Those files you requested they’ve just been transferred over. O-oh and you have to prepare for an appointment coming up in a week at the Cheonsa hospital with a mr-“

“Lee Seungri, yes I know,” Jiyong replied in a frustrated tone, “Please do try to talk a little faster, your stuttering gets on my nerves.”

“I-I’m sorry,” the girl squeaked, “I’ll try not to anymore!”

“I’m sure you won’t,” the man sighed, “Just make sure those files transfer properly, and Jessica?”

“Y-yes, Kwon-ssi?”

“You’re fired,” his voice was practically monotone, “Pack all your stuff, I want you gone before I’m out. Goodbye, Jessica.” Jiyong clicked off the phone before he could hear a reply. God he’d hated that girl, she was always so irritating. Alright, so maybe he was being a little harsh, there wasn’t much wrong with her. She was pretty and did get the job done, but her constant nervousness got to him. That and also the fact that every little annoyance was heightened due to his migraines. Nonetheless he’d already hired a much less irritating replacement so really there was nothing to worry about. Things would carry on with or without Jessica.

At least she was obedient. Jiyong opened his computer to find a neatly organized collection of files arranged on his desktop with a typed out apology, how pathetic. The man deleted the note without bothering to read it and got to work. Kwon Jiyong had always thought of himself as a sort of treasure hunter, he could find the brightest of gems in the darkest of places. Now he’d thought he had done just that. Jiyong picked a file at random and played the video clip. Yes, this was perfect. He opened another and another, taking in all the talent his subject had to offer.

Jiyong could not believe his luck he had found not only a gem but a chest full of prized jewels. This boy was perfect, he was young, determined, and had enough talent to fit in perfectly at Kwon Entertainment Co. Usually Jiyong wouldn’t have bothered to scout for talent, but this was a special case. The CEO powered down his computer, confident with his decision. There were only a few days left; he’d have to prepare himself quite a bit before he could offer Lee Seungri the opportunity of a lifetime.

---

Seungri lay limply on his uncomfortable hospital bed, running his hands through his short brown hair profusely. The doctors had visited him a few days ago and had told him the devastating news. At first he had been in a state of daze, not even believing the prognosis. There was no way it was true, how could this have happened to him? Finally after days of coaxing, he’d come to realize the actuality of his tragedy. Seungri would never be able to move his legs again. The improper landing of his failed backflip had sprained his spinal cord so badly that it had cut off all the connections to the nerves in his legs. He had the slimmest chance of regaining the feeling in his legs, but they had to start therapy immediately.

It was impossible; there was no way his family could afford such expensive treatment. As if to rub salt in his wounds, he’d gotten another call not minutes ago. His company would be dumping him, no reason to harbor a crippled trainee, not when there were thousands of other able candidates lining up to take his place.

The boy’s whole life was crumbling around him. Everything he’d worked so hard for was being snatched up from right under him and there was nothing he could do. He couldn’t even cry with all the visitors he was getting. So many people, some fans some actual friends. Some were faking their affection, he could tell, but others sat with him and cried out the tears he couldn’t. In a special way he felt sort of blessed. The sheer volume of people who came to visit was comforting.

Unfortunately he was currently visiting with someone he really wished would disappear, his manager Park SeoHuk. “I can’t believe this, these idiots do they not comprehend what we are going through?” SeoHuk had a bad habit of making everything a joint commitment, whether it involved him or not he’d include himself, “Don’t they understand how much time we’ve clocked in there? How much publicity we have brought them? Oh the scandal they are starting, don’t they see that by doing this to us they’re really just ruining their own images? Dumping an injured trainee is like kicking out a sick dog, it’s cruel and just not done.”

 It’s not that he didn’t love being compared to a dog, but Seungri was getting really tired of this lecture. This had been going on since the minute he hung up the phone with his former company. As if it wasn’t frustrating enough to be wrongfully fired, his manager had to keep reiterating it over and over again. “Ya, hey manager hyung can you please just calm down?” Seungri groaned.

“Calm down? No, no there is no time for that! Look you have a very important appointment coming up and the company was what gave us an edge.”

“An appointment—but I thought you said there were no more visitors today!”

“I did,” SeoHuk continued, rolling his eyes as if Seungri should’ve known what he was talking about, “This isn’t just any other visitor, and it’s someone very important that we could do business with. I was hoping that we could negotiate but now there’s no hope for us.”

 Seungri couldn’t even begin to fathom his emotions. He should’ve been angry; he was tired and weak and shouldn’t have been negotiating anything. Then again, whoever this person was would have to important if he could get past Seungri’s visitor’s curfew and on top of that he was here to discuss business. After hearing the heartbreaking news of his termination, he could really use a confidence boost and a job offer could be just that. Suddenly he was filled with quite a bit of excitement, maybe this could be the silver lining in his dark gray cloud? Maybe this was his ticket to fame. He was so blinded with excitement that he momentarily forgot about his disability. If anything he still had his voice right? Maybe he could be a new sort of singer, one who promoted hardships and tragedy? Whatever, he’d figure something out.

SeoHuk’s phone buzzed Seungri back to reality. He hadn’t even realized that his manager had been talking until he stopped. “Look sharp, kid,” he grinned, opening the door to his room.

A man, not much older than Seungri himself, walked in dressed in an unusual patterned suit that seemed to flatter only him. The boy immediately recognized him as the CEO of one of the most prestigious and popular entertainment labels, Kwon Entertainment or Kwon.E as it was often stylized. He bowed politely to the other two in the room. “Kwon Jiyong, pleasure to make your acquaintance,” Jiyong smiled politely and moved over to the bed, “And you must be the very talented Lee Seungri. I must have seen every single one of your performances, you’re quite the dancer. It’s a pleasure to be in your presence, almost a gift. I hope you’re feeling alright, is the hospital meeting your needs?”

 Seungri nodded his head numbly before coming to his senses, “Oh, yes, the hospital is wonderful. I’m doing good, thanks for asking, and you, sir?”

“Please, don’t bother with formalities. I’m what, two years older than you? Just call me Jiyong seonbae,” He patted the boys shoulders in a sort of fatherly way that seemed to contradict what he’d just said, “I’m fabulous actually. Really though I’d like to talk to you,” he turned to face SeoHuk, “In private would be ideal.”

Like a deer caught in headlights, SeoHuk froze in place and slowly backed away. Jiyong turned back around to face his younger companion, “Now then where were we? Ah, yes, a business proposal. I’m certain you know who I am: heir to the great throne of Kwon.E and the current ruler of its kingdom. You must know the power I have over the entertainment industry, no?” he waited for Seungri’s response to which the boy nodded, “Of course you do, who doesn’t. So now that we’re on the same page, you must be seeing where this is going. I want you on my team. In fact, I’m so confident in your skills that I’ll debut you in six months flat, you have my word. This is the opportunity of a lifetime, hubae, I want you to really consider it. There are hundreds upon thousands of other talented artists who would kill to be in your position right now, and after the tragedy that you’ve faced wouldn’t it be a perfect happy ending to your tale?”

Seungri stared back at the older boy, taking in everything he had just heard. He wanted to grab the man and kiss him right there on the spot, he couldn’t believe what was happening. Mere days ago he had experienced the most traumatic moment of his life to date and now he was experiencing the most amazing moment. But he had to calm himself, no reason to pounce at the offer. He still had a twinge of dignity left. “A very compelling offer, Mr. Kwon seonbae, but I just—“

“Oh don’t be like this hubae, you and I both know that this is the best offer you’re going to get.”

“N-no, it’s not that,” the younger covered, changing his battle plan, “It’s just my legs, there’s no way to fix them I can’t debut in six months. I’d be a disappointment to your company.”

Jiyong was impressed; the boy was light on his feet. “Don’t be so humble, I have faith in you,” the man nodded with assurance. “Do you really think I’d let you go on like this? If you sign on with me, I can promise you the best treatment possible on the market. All my stars come out on the top as will you.”

“I can’t take your money, sir.”

“Shh with this sir business, seonbae, remember?” Jiyong continued, “Consider it your first paycheck, you will be an employee after all and employees do have benefits. All I ask for in return is you utmost loyalty.”

Seungri looked up, “You mean like a lifetime contract?”

Jiyong smirked, “Something like that, yes. I just want to make sure that you will be determined and faithful. Those are the two qualities to success you know.”

The boy really wished his manager was back. Signing off his career on a lifetime contract was a huge deal, what if this deal turned out to be a mistake or what if he was treated poorly or not given enough attention? Kwon.E was a huge entertainment label with so many talented stars, he could so easily get lost in the crowd. Then again, the position he was in and the help this man was offering. It was almost too good to be true. Mr. Kwon didn’t seem to want to go back empty handed. In fact he hadn’t even offered Seungri any time to decide. It was almost an all-or-nothing deal.

“I can head out if this is a little too much for you,” the dark haired man sighed, reaching for the door. Suddenly it was as if this was his only chance. Seungri had to snatch this up no matter what, he couldn’t let something like this get away.

“Wait, no!” he called, almost falling off his bed. Jiyong turned around, not even bothering to hide his victorious smile. Seungri grinned back, “Where do I sign?”

 

 

A/N: Wow I keep checking back and seeing more views and you guys make me so happy! Sorry about the wait, I'll try to update at least once a week that is my next goal. Good news: I've planned the story up to all the introductions. I'm working on planning the plot up until relationships are established. What all that really means for you is that there's so much more to look forward to.

I hope you guys are liking things so far. Two of my favorite characters were introduced in this chapter and I'm super excited to be writing more about them.

As always, comments and critiques are so very welcome. And thanks to those lovely people giving me those karma points. I figured this was the only way to really thank you, you guys are so sweet!

Have a good week everybody~~