002

In Poverty

   Later that day, Amber sat in her small room shared with her older sibiling, Jackie. Luckily for Amber, Jackie was not home. 

  

  So, Amber did what she always did when she was alone: clean. She cleaned the whole house, sorting through all sorts of things, scrubbing floors. It was the least she could do to make her family comfortable. She didn't mind, either. It made her feel at ease, as well. If she were in any other condition, she'd probably be such a slob. 

  After cleaning, she walking into the bathroom and flipped the light on. It flickered twice before the dull light rested. She grabbed the rusty scissors from off the counter and began to snip away at her hair. She wasn't terrible at cutting her hair, but she certainly wasn't the greatest. Her hair was slightly shaggy, but she didn't mind. She wasn't one to care too much about appearance. 

  She brushed the hair off her shoulders and rubbed her nose, a habit she had. Her hair didn't look much different. Amber couldn't tell if that's what she wanted or not. Did she want change? Of course, overall. Maybe. She wasn't sure. This was her comfort zone. this small, run-down house. Not a lot of clothes. Close friends, close family. Everything would change if she really wanted it to. But she wasn't sure of that. And even if she wanted to, would it change? Was it a given?

  "Lord," Amber mumbled under her breath. She didn't care to think about this.

  The girl dragged herself through the short hallway, into their bedroom. Before plopping down on her bed, she grabbed her portable CD player and popped in this American CD she had found in the small section of the thrift store. It wasn't an album, it looked more like a mix.

 

 "There are rainbows and earthworms and microscopic humming birdsI don't wanna live through winter. I can't stand to see everything ending. I'll just stand on the meadow. I'll be taken by sunbeams

So goodbye"
 
 
  The first track on the mix was one of her favorites. Amber layed down, face first on the sheats and stared at the wall. She didn't feel anything, just numbness and sleepiness. But, no matter how tired, she couldn't sleep.
 
  The next song came on. Her second favorite.
 
 "We don't exist

In an instant
Let me up
There's a hole in the floor
As black as my mama's womb
Those were the days
won't you let me up?"

 

 She slowly began to sing along quietly. Her english was quite good, considering her parents were bilingual. How they don't have a high paying job with a quality like that astonishes her. I guess it's just hard these days. 

 There was a small knock at the door. Amber dragged herself out of the bed, music still singing softly in the background. Hopping to the door was fast, considering how small the house was. She pulled it open softly, to see Jia in her oversized sweater that swallowed her body. Amber laughed and invited her in.

 "Hi, Amber." Jia said softly, clearing . The boyish girl waved back simply and led her friend to her bedroom. They both sat on the bed, Amber laying back and Jia fidgeting awkwardly.

  For some reason, the boy-crazy girl didn't feel so boy crazy. She felt a tug on her sweater and looked back to see Amber trying to pull her down. Slowly and cautiously, Jia layed back. Little by little her muscles loosened and she cuddled into Amber's body. Jia looked up at Amber's face. She studied her jawline, her eyes, her lips. She stopped there and blushed. The one being examined looked down confused. "What is it?" 

 She tucked her head into Amber's shoulder. "Nothin'."