001

In Poverty

  Jia, Amber and Key stood outside the only TV shop in town. Rows of TVs, all playing the same thing. Hyuna's and Hyunseung's "Trouble Maker," synchronized on each TV. The two speakers outside played the song, and all the while Jia's eyes were transfixed. On both the attractive boy and the slick girl. If there was anything she wanted, it was to be able to dance in front of others like her. She thought she'd look so beautiful, and was both jealous and inspired.

   The girl started tapping her foot lightly, not realizing that she had broken out into a small dance. Key and Amber stood to the side and smiled, clapping the girl on. They adored their best friends smiling and proud face.

   The oversized sweater she sported slightly drowned out her powerful dancing, but you could still admire how her body moved. Key laughed and walked over to Jia, sweaty despite the winter cold and pushed up her sleeves, wiping away her sweat. He was the care-taker of their small family. 

 

  "Do we have enough to share a small cup of ice cream?" Amber said, pushing off the wall and walking over to her friends. Jia lifted up her sweater, reavealing her small stomach and dug in her pockets. She pulled out 60 cents and lifted her hand out. "60" she mumbled. Key nodded, reaching his hand into the small messenger bag he had gotten for a steal. He fumbled around until his hand felt something paper. "Holy ," he said, his eyes wide. He pulled out a five dollar bill and grinned excitedly, waving it around in the others face. "Five!" Amber and Jia raised both fists in the air, cheering. "Where is that from, Key?" Amber asked, examining the bill. "Hell if I know... But should we spend it on ice cream?" Jia stared at Key with a blank expression before bluntly telling him, "Yes."

 

 Key chuckled and shrugged. A small ice cream wouldn't hurt. 

 

 Jia jumped up. "Heck yes," she said excitedly. Key and Amber both laughed as Jia jumped on Key's back. They began to make their journey to the local ice cream shop- which luckily, they were friends with the owner, so they got discounts. 

  But as they arrived, Key stopped dead in his tracks. He looked down at the ground, clearing his throat. Jia tilted her head over his shoulder. "Key-Umma?" This was a nickname he gained due to him being the care-taker. 

  "Nothin'." He mumbled and began to walk into the shop, turning his head in the other direction.

 

 The truth was that Jonghyun and his friends were there. It's not that Key hated any of them, that was the exact opposite. He became increasingly nervous around Jonghyun. He was, in all honestly, the only one Key noticed enough to get nervous around. The others were noticable, he guessed. There wasn't anything less about Onew, Minho, or Taemin. He just really, really noticed Jonghyun. Whenever he saw Jonghyun, it was like one of those overly sentimental scenes in the romance movies. Where things stopped, and Key just admired every small detail.   

  Once they were inside, Key cleared his throat, stealing glances at the crew of boys. Taemin and Minho were screwing around with the ice cream as Onew sat in his seat, cool and collected smirking at the two. Through admiring Jonghyun, he noticed Onew. Not in a romantic way, but he noticed that Onew never seemed fully happy. He seemed really... maybe, depressed, or stressed for the most part.

  He shifted his eyes back to Jonghyun. He admired the way the boy laughed and his ice cream spoon. Blushing, he shakily ordered his ice cream, shifting his eyes from Jonghyun and the cashier. 

  Jia rolled her eyes and thumped his head. "You're more boy crazy than I am," she whispered to him. He blushed, and once they payed for their ice cream, Jia jumped off his back and the two girls ran excitedly to find a table. Key followed closely behind, slower than the two, looking at them and smiling.