The Start

Beyond This Sky

Friday, January 11th 

"Guess whaaat?!" Min EunJung exclaimed, bouncing into Cafe 96. Her eyes were full of joy. 
She slowed down to take in the scene of the cafe where I worked in. The countertop was a mess, knives and other miscellaneous cutlery were strewn everywhere, the blender lid askew, and sprayed all over the area was a dark red and sticky liquid. And there I stood, looking like a vicious murderer in the midst of a crime scene. Except, I was nothing but exasperated and shocked from the blender exploding as I tried to make a mixed berry smoothie. It had been a long day, full of difficult customers, busy hours and now.. mess. All this work at Cafe 96 for so little pay.
"What in the world?!" Eunjung exclaimed, as she pulled a chopped piece of berry from my hair. All I could do was stand there and shake my head, in frustration of the long, tiring day that was today.

I'm Lee Haneul, a 23 year old with massive responsibilities. Working in Cafe 96 is just one of the many tasks that I have to overcome, aside from paying for rent, bills, food and taking care of my terminally ill mother in hospital. I am usually quiet and boring. I'm just like a turtle who prefers to burrow away in the safety and comfort of its shell. Despite this, I do like my frequent karaoke sessions in the shower and in my car, but that's only to myself.
I am thankful for a friend full of energy like EunJung. Ever since kindergarten, she's been around, and most of the time, it's her exuberant disposition that cheers me up, her infectious laughter that makes me happy. She's the only one who fully understands my life situation, and still chooses to befriend me. 

"Anyway," said Eunjung, flicking away the piece of chopped berry, "I have a surprise which will turn your frown upside down!" I chuckled at her corny line, not tthinking much of the 'surprise' and started to clean up, thankful that the boss wasn't around to see this disaster, and that it was closing time. A few passersby shot me weird looks as I climbed onto a chair and wiped red liquid or what seemed to look like "blood" off the ceiling and lightbulbs.
"Hey, can you at least look more interested in what I've got? Just come down from there and listen to me!" probed Eunjung. She looked close to bursting, her face puffed from what I would call excitement.  Sighing, I stepped down from the chair, and as my foot came in contact with a puddle of smoothie on the ground, the chair went toppling over and I found myself landing in the sticky mess with a loud thud!

"WELL GIRL, YOU'D BETTER PACK YOUR BAGS AND COME OVER TO MINE IN 20 MINUTES, WE ARE GOING TO JAPAN FOR THE WEEKEND!" shouted Eunjung. I could see she barely even noticed I'd landed awkwardly on the ground. Heck, a herd of narwhals could come magically swimming in and I doubt she'd notice. She was loud and engrossed in her excitement, a stark contrast to the quzzical look I shot back at her.
"DON'T YOU GET IT SILLY? I GOT US TICKETS TO THE BIGBANG CONCERT THIS WEEKEND!" finished Eunjung.
At this point of time, my rear end was aching too much to take in anything she said.