Sunshine

Once Upon A Fairy Tale [Drabble Series]

 

Sungmin’s breath hitches as he stares at Kyuhyun’s eyes. “Don’t say things like that!” he fusses, laughing his heart out while burying his head on Kyuhyun’s shoulder. “It’s embarrassing”

Kyuhyun laughs as well, and he tightens his arms around Sungmin’s waist as he keeps them there, rooted in front of Sungmin’s apartment, their mingled breaths in sync with their racing heartbeats. Sungmin shyly lifts his head, pink-tinged ears turning beet red when he sees that Kyuhyun has never left his sight on him. “You’re even cuter when you blush” he whispers, lifting a hand and brushing it against the reddened apple of Sungmin’s cheek.

“Stop it!” Sungmin chuckled, scurrying away and covering his hot face with both hands. He bites his lower lip when he feels his heartbeat increase in speed, and he swears that sudden cold he is feeling at the moment are chills running up and down his spine. Damn, that Kyuhyun. He’s got a way with words, indeed.

“Sungmin?”

At the mention of his name, he jolts up when he turns and collides with Kyuhyun’s chest, the man’s arms returning to his waist as he gives him another spine-tingling embrace. “I’m off…See you tomorrow” it was whispered right next to his ear, if not sensually, then playfully, and Sungmin quickly wraps his arms in return around Kyuhyun’s torso.

“Thank you, again” he squeaks, hating the way he sounded like a love-sick girl. “See you tomorrow”

Unlatching himself from Kyuhyun, he freezes momentarily when the man leans forward, catching Sungmin off guard when he swiftly plants a kiss on his cheek, his larger hands enclosing Sungmin’s own in a warm, comforting hold. “Good night, my Prince”

Kyuhyun steps back, bows in courtesy and rushes down the stairs without turning back. Sungmin stands like a statue, his cheeks burning a bright shade of red as he places a quivering hand on his cheek. Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh dear.

I’m in love?!

--

“I’m sorry for all the trouble I’ve caused, hyung. I’ll pay you once I’ve received my cheque” Kyuhyun bows in respect in front of a panic-struck Leeteuk, whose face was paper white and hair sticking to every direction.

“I swore I hid all the candies, seems like Sandeul’s too smart to handle. I apologize”

Leeteuk raises his hands in defense and forces a smile on his lips. “It’s fine, Kyuhyun. It’s part of growing up…but I admit that Sandeul’s a pretty smart kid.” he wipes his sweat-covered face and pats Kyuhyun on the shoulder, “How’s your date? Sandeul seems to be pretty excited about hearing it all”

Hearing this, Kyuhyun scratches his head awkwardly and eyes the sleeping child on the couch, “He’s that excited? Though it’s pretty obvious he’s taken a liking to Sungmin” he sighs and turns to Leeteuk, “Hyung…is it possible to fall in love so fast?”

Flushing beet red, Leeteuk recomposes himself and clears his throat before answering, “Kyuhyun…you’re still young” he pauses and looks straight at the single father’s eyes, trying to convey his message, “Anything can happen…and anyone can come into your life. It may not look like it, but Sandeul’s growing up pretty fast…and there will come a day when he’ll live his own life and go about on his own. And you…you’ll need someone to take care of you”

Kyuhyun blinks. “So…is that a yes? It is possible?”

Leeteuk’s eyes soften, inwardly chuckling at Kyuhyun’s naiveté, “As long as you’re still breathing…anything is possible. We never know what fate has in store for us”

“So, you felt the same when you met Kangin-hyung?” Kyuhyun grins wickedly, his heartbeat pacing like a car on its last minute race. So this is how it feels like to be in love. He smiles to himself when he remembers how warm Sungmin feels against him, how he fits perfectly inside his arms and simply how his smile brightens his day. It’s like high school all over again. Only this time, much better.

“Don’t embarrass your elders, brat” Leeteuk outbursts, groaning at the smug grin Kyuhyun is giving him. “Just hurry up and snatch the kid, his pretty face can attract wolves. If you know what I mean”

Shrugging his shoulders, Kyuhyun takes off his coat and escorts Leeteuk to the door, “Thanks again, hyung. You were a lot of help” he smiles, acknowledging the friendly wave and the thumbs up before shutting his door. With a smile on his lips, he approaches the sleeping child on the sofa and carefully lifts him up to his arms, pinching the young boy’s cheeks when he started to mutter.

“Daddy?”

“Sorry, did I wake you?”

Kyuhyun whispers, tucking his son on the soft haven of his bed while bringing up the blanket underneath his chin. He laughs when Sandeul blinks and sits up to tug at his father’s shirt, “How was your date with, Minnie-chan?”

“Aren’t you too young to know all about that?” Kyuhyun muses, loosening his tie and weaving a hand through his hair. He winces when Sandeul pinches him on the arm, and immediately lodges his own barrage of tickles on the already giggling child. Both fell on the bed in a heap of laughter, with Sandeul lying on Kyuhyun’s chest, holding his stuffed rabbit on both hands. “Hey Sandeul…” Kyuhyun begins, taking in deep breaths to calm his racing nerves,

“Will it be okay for you if I keep on seeing Sungmin?”

Ears perking upwards, Sandeul sits up and blinks down at his smiling father, “You always see him every day, why are you asking permission?” he asks with a tilt of his head, hiding his face behind the toy when Kyuhyun’s fingers reach out to pinch his nose.

“I don’t mean that…” he says, pausing before shifting on the bed to rest his back on the headboard. “I want to date Minnie-chan, Sandeul. It seems like your daddy has fallen in love” Kyuhyun explains with the simplest words he can muster, hoping his child will convey his message.

“You like Minnie-chan?” Sandeul murmurs, still hiding behind the long ears of his stuffed toy.

“There’s a thin line between like and love, Sandeul. And I’ve crossed the ‘love’ part” his father faintly adds, now tainting a faint blush. “You’re too young to understand…but all I want to say is – ”

“You love Minnie-chan!” the child blurts out jovially, flinging himself on a surprised Kyuhyun’s chest as he giggles with little fits of snorts. “I’ve always wanted you to meet Minnie-chan…and now you’ve made me very happy!” he wraps his small arms around the curve of Kyuhyun’s shoulders and settles his head on the flat plane of his chest, “I’ve always wanted a mother…but my real mommy doesn’t even like me, right? So daddy, I’ve wanted Minnie-chan to be my mommy for a long time now!”

Kyuhyun answers by wrapping his arms around the small child; feeble and yet full of promise. “Shh. You don’t have to bring the past up…what matter right now is the present, okay? You have me and Sungmin” he hushes with slight discomfort, rocking the boy in his arms as he hums a lullaby. He kisses Sandeul on the forehead before laying him down on his bed, brushing the hair away from his eyes before wishing him good night.

“Don’t worry Sandeul…” Kyuhyun sits by his bedside and places the toy rabbit beside Sandeul’s hands, smiling ever so lightly on how his voice sounded certain – confident, even – “I’ll make sure…Sungmin will be the sunshine to our night”