At The Beginning

Once Upon A Fairy Tale [Drabble Series]

 

The resounding rings of a school bell signals that classes have ended. And soon, after a day’s work filled with notes scribbled on papers and never-ending deadlines, Cho Kyuhyun blazes through the sea of students carrying his bag and his books. “See you tomorrow, sir” comes a timid voice from behind and Kyuhyun nods, acknowledging his student before rushing past the school gates and into his vehicle.

Daddy, where are you?

He flips his phone and starts the engine. I’m on my way. Just stay put, ok? He texts and he hits the send button before driving out of the car park. Kyuhyun heaves a sigh of relief when the roads seemed smooth and the afternoon breeze gives him some feeling of comfort. It was always the same scene – everyday for the past 7 years that he would hurry after work to pick up the child he never owned. Sandeul, the name he had given him, was an illegitimate child of his step-sister, who, had one day showed up in front of his doorstep and shoved the crying bundle to his arms. He regretted taking care of the child at first, but after sometime and the mutual feeling of love grew, Kyuhyun found himself as a single parent, working as an associate lawyer by morning and a College instructor by noon.

“5 minutes late” Sandeul pouts and crosses his small arms while looking at Kyuhyun with the most disappointed look he can muster. Kyuhyun smiles at him and scoops him up, “Sorry. Daddy has got some curious students to attend to” he places a small kiss at the child’s nose and laughs when Sandeul giggles.

“Oh, we’ve got a new teacher at school too. He’s really nice and very pretty” Sandeul’s eyes light up and he tugs at his father’s coat. “Oh? You can’t call a man pretty, Sandeul” Kyuhyun shakes his head and takes the boy’s bag with one hand. “You either call him handsome or charming…to put it a professional sense”

Sandeul blinks at him. “But he’s really pretty. And he gave me a kiss on the cheek too when I answered a math problem” the child pointed at the round apple of his cheek and a star stamp on his left wrist as proof. “I like him, daddy. And I’m sure you’ll like him too once you meet him”

Kyuhyun chuckles and fastens the seatbelt around the boy’s torso. “Maybe I will. Now stop moving around so we can go home early”

--

Once the lights are on and the shuffling of belongings were quickly silenced, Sandeul makes haste for his bedroom where he changed into a pair of comfortable sleepwear before he comes out running and collides into Kyuhyun’s leg, clinging unto him with a smile on his face. “I want take-outs!” he pleads, making Kyuhyun groan and laugh at the same time.

“But we got take-outs yesterday! And you ate 2 cups of ice cream last night, young man” Kyuhyun sternly answers and yet the smile on his lips proved him otherwise. He can never resist this kid.

“Please~ I want kimchi!” Sandeul tugs at his pants more and blinks as innocently as he could. “And I want some extra kimbap with that too!” Kyuhyun could only scratch his head while taking his keys and wallet. “Alright, alright. Just make sure you won’t open the door or pick up any calls. I’ll be quick”

With a ruffle to his son’s hair, he grabs his coat, shuts the door and heads toward the line of restaurants near their apartment. He picks a rather expensive diner and thanks the waiter when he receives his orders, laughing to himself when he wraps his fingers on the bag that contains a tub of Sandeul’s favorite ice cream. But as soon as he steps out into the cold streets of Seoul, he stumbles back in shock when someone collides into him, sending books and papers flying as a petite man lay sprawled on the ground before him.

“I am so sorry, I should’ve been more careful” Kyuhyun apologizes and bends to his knees to pick the books up. “Oh no, It is I who should be sorry” the man quickly counters, his hands scooping up the scattered papers on the floor. “Thank you for helping”

“No problem” Kyuhyun straightens out, holds out his hand and stands up. The man looks up at him and he timidly takes the outstretched palm and hides his eyes behind his bangs. “T-Thank you again” he musters, pushing up his glasses higher on his nose. Standing rather awkwardly in the middle of the street, Kyuhyun was the first to speak before the man had any chance to do so, “So, I guess I better go. The food’s getting old…” he smiles at him, but his smile freezes when the man takes a peek from under his bangs, revealing soft-looking eyes and a faint blush on his cheeks.

Smitten, Kyuhyun straightens his back and holds out his hand once more, “Kyuhyun” he says, a dazzling smile adorning his face. “My name. It’s Cho Kyuhyun”

Realizing that he would give his own name, the man gives a small bow and tucks his hair at the back of his ear, “Sungmin. Lee Sungmin” he says, mirroring the smile Kyuhyun gives him. He takes Kyuhyun’s hand and shakes it, feeling warmth seep through his skin as their mutual gazes light up sparks from within.