Mending

There's No One Like YOU

Sehun looks down the row of houses of the street that Haera had given him, his determination to find the right house increasing with every house he passes. When he's outside the correct door, he takes out his phone and calls Eunsung. As expected, it goes straight to voicemail just like before. With a frown, he decides to call Zelo instead but strangely enough, it keeps ringing yet no-one seems to be picking it up. Sehun furrows his eyebrows and wonders if they went somewhere else; perhaps somewhere with no signal?

Lifting the mailbox in the door, he raises the flap and lets it fall with a clunk and repeats this action twice. The sound echoes but there's no reply. He takes one step back to look at the house for any signs of movement but of course, there aren't. At that moment, his phone vibrates and still glancing at the door, he fumbles around in his trouser pocket for it. 

It's a message from Haera. 

"Zelo most likely would've left his spare keys under the doormat.

Just in case you were wondering how I knew, I've looked there before." 

Sehun raises an eyebrow but kneels down anyway and lifts the doormat. To his surprise, there are a pair of keys lying there. He shakes his head in amusement and just as he slots the key into the door successfully, he hears his name being called - to be more exact, screamed. He could recognise that voice anywhere. Sehun's eyes instantly widen and scared of what may be happening, he literally rips open the door and runs towards the source of the voice.

The sight that beholds him is one that he never thought he'd have to witness: Eunsung is trapped helplessly between Zelo's two arms as the latter has leaned in to kiss her, his lips catching just the corner of her lips and her right cheek as she had turned her head before he reached her. Her frail body is completely engulfed by his as he towers over her and the girl's body is trembling. 

Sehun doesn't even have the time to think before he tears Zelo's body away and lets his fists fly. He punches Zelo straight across the mouth, the impact causing the latter to fall to the floor with a hard thud and Sehun's about to do more when a pair of arms wrap around his torso, effectively stopping him.

 

"Sehun, don't... you'll only hurt yourself." 

 

Her voice comes out quiet and weak but her words never sounded more clear to his ears. So blinded by anger, he didn't even notice and feel the pain of his knuckles from the impact of the punch until now. He looks down at his fists that are clenched tightly and he slowly lets go, feeling the anger dim down a little. Gently, he unhooks her arms without much effort and turns around to look at her face. Eunsung's eyes are filled with tears; reflecting the fear, betrayal and hurt she felt and her bottom lip is quivering as she wills herself to not cry. She looks so vulnerable at that very moment and Sehun's heart tweaks, "Eunsung..." 

Without a need for words, he pulls her into his embrace and wraps his arms around her trembling figure, knowing that it was the best kind of comfort he could offer. With her face buried in his chest, he can only hear her muffled sobs but that's enough to affect him. He her hair and pats her back reassuringly to let her know that it was alright, "It's okay, I'm here now. It's okay."

Zelo sits up from his previous position on the floor and he diverts his attention towards the pair of them: Eunsung's crying because of him and Sehun's comforting her. He can only feel guilt from watching - what on earth did he just do? He just made the person he loved, cry. No... this wasn't supposed to happen - this was far from it. He shakes his head, refusing to believe it. He was supposed to confess in the perfect way he had always thought he would when the chance came. He wasn't supposed to hurt her. He clenches his fists - the realisation was more painful than the punch he just received. Unable to take anymore, he gets up and leaves the room which feels like it's closing in on him - he feels like he's suffocating from the guilt, pent up frustration and sadness and it's getting incredibly hard to breathe. 

 

The two don't even notice the other leaving the room as they are too wrapped up in each other's embrace.

 

After a while, Eunsung slowly untangles herself from Sehun's body but keeps her gaze downwards. Sehun looks over to the spot where Zelo was supposed to be but it's empty. With a small sigh, he is about to return his attention back to the girl when he sees her mobile lying on the table, flashing. He walks over to grab it, in the back of his mind wondering why she didn't pick up when he called but decides to ask her later. With the same hand, he picks up the girl's backpack left abandoned on the ground. 

Going back to her, he bends down to reach her downcast eyes, "Let's go home." The girl doesn't say anything choosing to nod instead. She appears to be avoiding his eyes and although Sehun notices this, he makes no further comment.

As the two walk towards the bus stop, Sehun reaches for the girl's hands and links their fingers together. In his peripheral vision, he can see the girl glance up to look at him curiously before she murmurs, "Aren't you... mad at me?"

Oh... so that's why she was avoiding his eyes. Eunsung looks like a small child, afraid of what may be the answer. Sehun squeezes her hand reassuringly and answers back with the same question, "Aren't you mad at me?"

"Oh I am, very," she replies crossly. 

Sehun laughs softly, "Then what do I have to do to be forgiven?"

The girl frowns, not knowing why Sehun found what she said funny. She does know however that she doesn't want to be alone for the rest of the day so in a small voice she says, "Can you stay with me for today? Just..." She drifts off, unsure of what to say. 

"Silly, I was already planning to," Sehun smiles. 

Eunsung looks at him and the corner of her lips lift upwards. Somehow, Sehun always knew what to say.

 

The ride home is a quiet one as there aren't many other people on the bus. Eunsung stares out of the window watching as the buildings come into view before quickly disappearing afterwards. She is still thinking over what just happened, unable to accept it. 

"Why can't you just understand my feelings for once? You've always seen me as your friend but aren't friends supposed to understand each other, know when the other person is feeling down and know when they're hurt?"

"I did notice, I noticed when you were upset and hurt but you never told me why. And when you did say, it was about a person you liked - tell me, what more did you want from me?"

"You!" Zelo shouts at her and he then whispers, "All I ever wanted was you."

But even so, she knows for certain that it did happen. The words haunt her especially when she remembers the look on Zelo's face...

"Hey," Sehun says softly, bringing her out of her thoughts, "It's okay. It'll be alright." Eunsung can only nod in return, hoping Sehun's words were true. If she had to be honest, she didn't know what would happen to her and Zelo's friendship from this day onwards. Could they truly go back to the way they were? She desperately wanted to but whether he wanted to was the question. Although Eunsung delighted in Zelo's company, she didn't want him to feel sadness every time he saw her even if that meant not being friends anymore... 

"You left your phone behind, it was on the table," Sehun states as he hands over the device. Eunsung gasps at how she almost forgot completely about it before retrieving it. It's flashing and she quickly unlocks her phone to look at her notifications.

 

[17:24] Missed call from Sehun-ah

[17:40] Missed call from Sehun-ah

[17:52] Missed call from Sehun-ah

 

"You were looking for me?" she questions tilting her head sideways. 

Sehun turns to look at her properly, "Actually I... I wanted to apologise for shouting at you earlier. Yes, it was true that I was angry but it wasn't directed at you even if it came out that way." Eunsung listens to him, prompting him to go on, so he does, "I had a lot on my mind last night so I didn't get enough sleep. I woke up late, left my phone behind and wasn't there to meet you."

"But I heard you went to school with a girl," Eunsung frowns upon recalling the conversation between the two girls in the bathroom.

"She was a lower school student." 

"Oh." 

"Yeah... well anyway, she told me that you went off with some guy and I felt awful, like I had let you down or something. I knew the guy must've been Zelo and that made me feel worse." 

Eunsung furrows her eyebrows, "Why?" 

"Because he's Zelo: the guy with a good reputation, the guy everyone likes; the nice guy."

"Yes but you're missing one thing: Zelo's my friend," the girl looks for a reaction from Sehun before continuing, "And you are Oh Sehun, the person I love." Sehun lifts his head to look at Eunsung who is now smiling warmly at him and his heart beats a little faster at the sudden declaration.

"I've said it already before: Sehun-ah, you should know by now that I love you most. Don't ever forget that." 

"Never again," he shakes his head in amusement. 

"Is that why you were angry?" 

"Hmm... there was more but I don't think it's my place to say it."

The two fall into silence again before Eunsung quietly mumbles, "It's Zelo isn't it?" 

"Yeah..." 

The girl fiddles with the end of her jumper sleeve, "Did you know?" Sehun glances at her looking for a further explanation so the girl continues, "That he liked me?" 

Sehun exhales before nodding, "Yes I did." 

"How did I not realise in all the time that we spent together? The way that you would react whenever you saw him? The way he had been trying to avoid me all along? I'm so stupid for not noticing earlier... maybe if I just paid more attention, Zelo wouldn't have..." 

Sehun cups the girl's face in his two hands and shakes his head, "No, none of this was your fault Eunsung. Even if you did notice earlier, it wouldn't have affected his decision to do what he did tonight." 

"Then, what are we supposed to do from now on? Pretend like it never happened?" 

"It'll all work out, somehow." 

 

When the two return to Eunsung's house, which is empty as expected, they are both too tired from the day's events to even cook dinner. Instead, Sehun orders pizza while Eunsung takes a shower who takes the time to wash, too immersed in her deep thoughts. She keeps thinking about how frustrated and miserable Zelo sounded when he was talking to her. How he had held everything in for so long - in a way he did have the right to lash out on her, she believed. But then she remembers how he tried to kiss her and she shivers without knowing despite the water from the shower head being warm. She honestly didn't know what would've happened if Sehun didn't walk through the door at that time and to be honest, she didn't want to know. She was so frightened of what he could've done in that very moment. Even though she had screamed and cried for him to not, he still did and that was what scared her. 

"Why can't you just understand my feelings for once?" 

I'm sorry Zelo... I truly am. 

 

By the time Eunsung has changed into a fresh set of clothes, the pizza has arrived and been paid for. Sehun notices her standing in the hallway and pats the spot next to him on the sofa. They cuddle up on the sofa underneath the covers and watch a comedy program that's showing while munching on the pizza slices. And just like that, their evening is filled with laughter and comfort. Sehun chuckles when he realises that there's some sauce on the corner of the girl's mouth and gently wipes it away with a tissue.

"Thanks Sehun-ah," she beams. 

"What will you do without me?" he teases.

"I never wish to know," she responds truthfully and then snuggles closer to the blankets.

Although it's an ordinary evening, it's enough to take Eunsung's mind off the day's events and for that, she's thankful towards Sehun. The words 'it's not what you do but who you do it with that makes it worth while' were never more accurate. Whatever she did with Sehun would always be special to her even if it was something as simple as watching movies together. 

Some time later, her eyes are drooping with sleep and slowly, she succumbs to sleep. Sehun notices this as soon as her eyes close - he knew that she was getting tired because she became incredibly quiet. Switching off the television, he puts one arm under her neck and the other under her legs and carries the girl up the stairs to her room. Along the way, he hears her murmur, "Sehun-ah, I love you." He smiles - even though he's heard her say it so many times before, he'll never get bored of hearing it from her, "I love you more." 

When he sets her down on her bed, he covers her with the blankets and the girl shifts to her right side unconsciously to lean into her blankets more. He sits on the side of her bed and watches her sleep. Although he's relieved that he managed to reach her before Zelo did any more, he wishes that he was there to stop the kiss. If he did, maybe she wouldn't be so hurt. 

Sehun looks at the alarm clock that reads 11:16PM and decides that he should return home. Setting the girl's alarm clock for tomorrow, he scribbles a small note to her and sticks it on the clock. He then leans over and plants a kiss on the girl's forehead, "Have only the good dreams Eunsung-ah. Goodnight." 

With that said, he switches off the lamp and leaves the room, his heart feeling a little better.

The post-it that was stuck to the alarm clock read:

Sorry I couldn't stay for longer (you fell asleep on me again tsk!) 

But I'm still forgiven right? :)

See you in the morning, I promise I won't be late this time!

- Sehun

 


 AUTHOR'S NOTE;

First of all, apologies for the long wait for this update! I had a lot of work & project deadlines before my summer break began so hardly had the time to write although I really wanted to asdksajfksa ;a; 

But anyway, what a roller coaster of emotions throughout this chapter... but at least everything is cleared up now! Not much happens though, plot wise, I guess it's just a comforting chapter haha

My favourite part has to be Sehun's words and actions that show he cares so much about Eunsung, it makes me feel warm ;;; 

Just to let you know, the next chapter will be the final one