Closer

Follow Your Heart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9ihs3EZerM

Year 1999

The 5-year-old Jung Soojung sat alone at the bench of the playground with a grumpy face and crossed arms. She watched as the other kids play, running around chasing each other, playing dolls and toys, pushing each other on swings. She was envious, no one wants to play with her. Suddenly, a brown-haired little boy approached her, "Hi!" he greeted shyly. Soojung ignored his presence and continued watching the other kids. "Why aren't you playing with them?" the little boy continued. "It's none of your business!" Soojung said, coldly. But it didn't stop him from speaking, "My name is Choi Minho! Wanna play with me instead?" he stepped closer and extended his hand for a handshake. She eyed him carefully, he's taller by a few inches and probably older. She's quite suprised because no one would usually want to talk to her or play with her. She's not fond of making friends and she doesn't trust people that much. But this guy.. he's different. The way he looks at her, the way he talks to her. She knows he's someone she can trust. "My name is Jung Soojung." She said after being quiet for a few seconds, then reached out for his hand.

That was 20 years ago, when Minho met her and fell for her. He had always loved her. For twenty years, he kept his feelings because he was afraid he might screw up their friendship. Years passed, their friendship continues to bloom, and so is his feelings towards her.

Year 2019

This is it, he muttered. This is the day he'll confess to Krystal. For twenty years, he finally has the courage to confess to her. He took one final glance at the mirror before leaving the house. He grabbed his phone out of his pocket and dialed Krystal's number. "Yoboseyo?" She answered after a few rings. He felt his heart thumping faster as he felt nervousness attacking his stomach. "I have something to tell you, meet me at the playground?" He said, trying to sound as casual as he can. "Ooh, great timing! I have something to tell you too.. Okay, i'll be there!" She said in glee. He quickly jumped into his car and drove off to their said meeting place.

Krystal sat quietly at the old bench as her eyes we're focused on the clear blue skies. Suddenly she felt someone occupying the space next to her, she twitched her head to the left and saw Minho. "Oppa! You're here. What do you want to tell me?" She smiled brightly, and her eyes we're gleaming. His heart fluttered seeing this rare side of Krystal. "You go first.." Minho said. "He asked me out!" She squealed. Minho's smile faded away in an instant, "Who asked you out?" he said. "Kai! The one i always tell you about?"

Kai or Kim Jongin. She would always tell him how cool he was, how he's so handsome and how she always adore him.

"That's great! I told you he likes you." He said, faking a happy tone. "What do you think, Oppa?" Krystal said, while looking down at her feet. "Im happy for you, Soojung."

All of the things that he planned and could've said went down the drain. He can't act sad in front of her. Not now, not now that she's happy. He wants to see her happy, and even if that means sacricifing his own happiness.. he'd take the risk.

Year 2020, present year

Krystal glanced at the beatiful diamond ring placed perfectly on her ring finger. It's been two months since she got engaged to his fiance, Kai. They've been dating for a year already. Kai gave her everything, and even though Krystal loved him, something just wasnt right.. she was never happy.

She remembered the very last thing that Minho said to her that day, follow your heart.

Minho quickly ran to the rooftop of the campus as he heard familiar sobs. He peeked at the door and saw a back view of a long-brown haired girl sitting at the bench. He knew who was it. "Soojung-ah! What happened?" He quickly rushed over to the crying Krystal, he kneeled down and cupped her face. She could hardly breathe. "Kai b-broke up w-with me" she stammered, "h-he said h-he doesn't w-want to be with me anymore." she took a deep breath and tried to speak normally. Minho sat at the space next to her, grabbed her shoulders and pulled her close to him. "It'll be fine" He said and shrugged her shoulders. She paused, and looked up at him with puffed swollen eyes and red nose. "You know i hate seeing you like this." Minho said, and pulled her closer. Krystal hugged his waist and cried on his chest. She could go on for hours, he wouldn't mind.. He was always ready to listen to her and comfort her whenever she needed one.

"Oppa!" The happy Jung Soojung ran towards him, bouncing up and down. Minho looked behind him and smiled at the sight. Krystal threw herself into him and hugged him. "And why are you so happy?" Minho said, not recieving a reply. Instead, she held a piece of paper up to his face. "A+ in Math.." he uttered the words on the paper. "Yep! and the highest among our class." Krystal smirked, and folded the paper and put it back to her bag. "Not bad." Minho gave her an impressed look. "Oh come on!" she playfully nugged his rib "Could you at least show that you're proud?" Minho chuckled, "kidding! of course im proud of my little Soojungie.." he reached out and ruffled her hair. Krystal pouted, slightly pushing him away and fixed her long brown hair. "We should celebrate. You worked hard, you deserve to have a delicious treat." Minho said. Krystal smiled and nodded, "How about we have grilled beef at our favorite place?"

All she ever wanted, and all that could make her happy is just right there. The person who celebrates with her during her happiest times and comfort her during her saddest times, the person who had always been there for her when no one else was, Choi Minho.

"Is my fiance ready for the date?" a voice snapped her out of her flashbacks, only to realize tears we're already streaming down her cheeks. She quickly wiped them and shifts her gaze to the owner of the voice. It was her fiance leaning against the door frame, wearing a black tuxedo and his hair styled into a quiff. Krystal felt guilty seeing him, she stood up on her tight white dress and white platforms. "Kai, I have something to tell you.." she quietly approached him, her body trembling as she felt the nerves rush through her body. "I can't marry you." Krystal said with all her guts while looking down at her feet. She looked up only to see a disappointed-looking Kim Jongin. She took a deep breath and patted his back, "Im sorry, but I dont think this is right." she continued, "I believe someone out there deserves this more than I do.." she took off the engagement ring Kai gave her, and placed it at the palm of his hand before folding his fingers closed. "Go find her, Kai."

*beep* *beep* Krystal's phone rang from the dashboard and she reached over to pick it up. Jessica flashed on the screen and she immediately pressed the answer button and held it up to her ears. "Sis! I'm on the car right now, please call me back later." Krystal was about to hang up when Jessica wailed over the phone, "Dont hang up!" Krystal groaned, "Is it really something important?" She held the phone back to her ears. "Yes! Minho's leaving for Singapore. He's still probably at the airport right now, i think you can still catch him." Krystal's eyes grew wide and she started to panick. "Okay I know you're panicking right now, but please drive carefu-" without letting her finish her sentence, Krystal pressed the end-call button and tossed the phone back to the dashboard. "Eottokhae!" She said under her breath. She took a deep sigh and stomped the foot pedal harder.

***

"flight xx to Singapore will be leaving in 20 minutes. Calling all passengers to proceed to the plane immediately." Minho sat quietly at the waiting area, while the other passengers are rushing to get in the plane.

He didn't mind. All he could think of this time was her, Soojung.

Her eyes.

Her smile.

Her voice.

The way she laughs.

Everything about her.

"Last call for all the passengers of flight xx. Your plane is now ready for boarding." Minho stood up and grabbed his luggage, but before he could even take a step, a thought came across his mind Will he really give up on something he held on for twenty-one years now? He sighed.

***

Krystal stopped at an airport light post to catch her breath, she took her phone out of her pocket and called Jessica. "Hello?" Jessica answered after a few rings. "Sis! I'm at the airport already. My stupid car broke down while I was in the middle of the road and I have to run all the way here." Suddenly a strong wind brushed against her face making her long brown hair flew back, and the only thing she could hear was a sound of an airplane flying overhead.

A tear fell

She fell on her knees and cried. How could she let him go? He was just right there, all the time, yet she was too blind to notice. Now who would fight for her? Who would be there for her? Timing is never right. "Sis? Sis? You still there?" with shaky hands, Krystal took her phone and held it up to her ears. "It's too late, sis." she said in a quivering tone. "It's never too late.." Jessica said over the phone "What do you mean?" and she only recieved a chuckle.

All she could wish for at the moment was a miracle. That somehow, he'd come back for her and not go to Singapore instead.

Minho stopped as he saw a familiar figure and breathed out a sigh of relief. "There you are!" Krystal froze on her spot hearing a deep, familiar voice. Could it be? Could it really be him? She slowly turned her head towards the voice, and there he was.. walking up to her. She just looked at him in disbelief. "I've been looking everywhere for y-" Krystal hugged him tightly not letting him finish his sentence, both of them remained silent and the only thing that could be heard we're sobs coming out from Krystal's mouth. "Please tell me you're not leaving anymore.." she said as she hugged him tighter. "I wont." Minho hugged her back. A small smile crept on his lips as he closed his eyes and smelled the sweet strawberry scent of her hair. "Aren't you supposed to be with Kai right now?" Minho asked, after they pulled out from the hug. She bit her lower lip and took a deep breath, don't let this chance pass by. Tell him, Soojung. She thought.

"I took your advice,"

He looked at her cluelessly.

"You told me to follow my heart.."

He remained silent. 3 seconds silence, 5 seconds silence..

"and my heart leads me to you.."

Minho felt the corner of his lips lift up. He pulled her closer, leaned his head forward until their foreheads pressed together, and crashed his lips against her soft thin lips.

"Are you coming with me?" Minho said "Yes." Krystal smiled and grabbed his hand. "I have so much to tell you. Let's just start from the very beggining shall we?"