Why Him

My Dancing Boy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sld78Qgs3C4


“Wh-What’s going on?” Niel asked with a broken voice, the scene before him shocking him to the bone. Changjo and Rachel stood silently, the air growing thin. Changjo showed no emotion, even though he was beyond happy a moment ago. Rachel was as shocked as Niel, opening but no words coming out. Niel started to get impatient.

“Is anyone going to talk?” he crossed his arms. Changjo walked towards the door, and Niel moved away, as if Changjo was the plague itself.
“I just wanted a kiss. It’s my birthday right?” Changjo looked at Niel’s expression, then at Rachel’s.
“Sure. I bet other things were on your mind too, am I right?” Niel started to glare.

Changjo resisted a laugh. “I only just turned 16, Niel hyung. You expect me to think about that stuff?”
Niel shrugged, not wanting to answer the question. Changjo cleared his throat, and saw how rigid Rachel was. He didn’t regret what he did though, and although Niel walked in, it seemed to make everything just a little better.

Changjo knew he was special to her, or she wouldn’t have kissed him back. His lips were still warm, and he had the urge to kiss her again.

“Choi Jonghyun, if you ever touch her again, I’ll kill you. Don't. Ever. Touch. My. Girlfriend.” Niel changed his tone from his normal and cheery to a dark and ominous. Changjo, for the first time, felt threatened by his presence. Niel continued to look at Changjo, waiting for a confirmation that he got the message. Changjo nodded, and looked at the ground.
“Whatever you say, hyung.” Changjo replied, and he turned to walk out the door of his room.
Niel finally uncrossed his arms. Rachel was quietly waiting, watching the scene before her as she started to finally calm down. Before Changjo left, he turned around once more, and smiled in her direction. He quickly left, and engaged himself in the party once more. Niel saw Rachel’s worried expression, and moved to stand in front of her, holding her shoulders with reassurance.

“You ok? He didn’t do anything else did he?” Niel lowered his head to look at her face to face.
Rachel smiled weakly, and shook her head. “No, he didn’t do anything.”
Niel moved his hands away, and sighed. “Well, I guess that’s alright then, isn’t it?”
“Yeah. Let’s go.” Rachel walked out and Niel followed, still seeing the party in full swing.

But no Changjo in sight.

***

Rachel lay on her bed, staring at the peeling paint on her ceiling. She was still troubled, even though the party was two nights ago. By the time that she got home, she realised that Changjo stole her first kiss. It left her in a mumbling mess and she wasn’t able under to talk to her mother when she walked into the house that night. She spent the weekend thinking why he did it in the first place.

She wasn’t that important to him was she? He never paid that much attention to her at all. What made him change? Rachel twisted her lips as a long strand of thoughts turned into thousands of questions which all asked the same thing.

Why did he do it?

Did he know that it was her first kiss? Was he planning it all along? Rachel heaved a deep sigh, and her side, not bothered enough to get under the covers. She thought about his request to go out. Rachel was going to do it anyway; Changjo was one of her closest friends. She continually repeated to herself that it was only as friends, nothing more. Niel even said to Changjo that she was his girlfriend. It set an interesting mood among the three. Rachel didn’t know what to do.

She was confused, troubled, worried.

It ended up making her feel sick in the stomach. She continued to think, until it made her fall asleep.

***

Soon it was 2011, and Teen Top was getting ready for their comeback. They changed their concepts, getting new hairstyles and completely changing from their previous promotions. Rachel spent her New Year with her mother, cooking food and watching TV. Rachel didn’t even bother setting a New Year’s Resolution. Mizuki and Seoul were on the phone with her, eventually ending up in having a three-way call until it reached midnight, where they all screamed “Happy New Year”.

That was at least a week ago. Now, everything continued as normal, except for today. Rachel was sitting on her front steps, watching the gate intently. He was bound to come any minute, and soon Rachel started to regret saying yes to him. As she was about to stand up and go back inside, Changjo appeared, waving.
“Sorry I'm late,” he called, smiling brightly. Rachel smiled back, and walked down, opening the gate then closing it again.

It was almost like a repeat of her date with Niel.

Not like it was a date anyway.

Changjo waited, then they began to walk. Rachel noticed his new hairstyle. It was more of a clean cut, with his fringe being dyed part white.

To be honest, she liked his other haircut better. Changjo noticed her looking at his hair, and he pouted.
“You don’t like it?” he asked.
Rachel saw the dejection on his face, and shook her head furiously. “Its fine Jonghyun, I just prefer your other one!”
“I’ll dye it back.”
“But that’ll ruin your concept! Don’t do that,” Rachel put her hands in her pockets as they to the main road.
“Ok, I’ll listen to Noona.”

Rachel frowned. “Don't call me that pabo,” she whispered.
Changjo laughed, and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. “Why not? Its easier right?”
“No, it makes me feel old.”
“But you are old, Noona.”

Rachel narrowed her eyes, and looked up at him. “Stop growing. You’re making me feel short.”
Changjo raised an eyebrow. “I can’t stop growing Rachel-ah.”
“You know what I mean.”
Changjo shook his head. “No, I don’t really.”
Rachel sighed. “You’re not being serious are you?”
Changjo nodded. “I'm serious Noona.”
“Stop calling me that!” Rachel punched his surprisingly hard chest. Changjo couldn't hold his laughter, and they stopped walking as he tried to regain his breath. Rachel crossed her arms, and waited impatiently as Changjo continued to laugh, going into another fit each time he looked at her. She began to feel eyes on her, and Rachel started to hit Changjo’s shoulder.
“Oh my God Jonghyun, stop laughing. People are looking.” Rachel hissed, hitting Changjo harder.
He stood up, and cleared his throat. “Okay, I'm fin–ahahaha!”
Rachel groaned, and started punching him. “It’s not that funny! Start walking!”
Changjo continued to laugh, but started to walk forwards. “I'm sorry.”
Rachel glared at him for a solid ten seconds. “Screw you, Choi Jonghyun.”

Changjo leaned down and quickly kissed her on the cheek. “Come on, we’ll go to the park.” He started to walk ahead. Rachel held a hand on her cheek, stunned. He did it again, she thought, and she started to jog to keep up with him. They continued to walk down the street, and turned again, reaching the park.
“Wait, wont people notice you?” Rachel asked.
“I’ll be fine. More of the fans like L.Joe or Chunji hyung,” Changjo replied, sitting on a bench.
“But you’re still a member, I'm sure fans like you too,” Rachel sat next to him.
“I dont think so.”

Rachel watched the people walk past. Parents with small children, Workers, Couples...
“I'm a fan,” she said.
Changjo looked at her, waiting to see if she was going to say more. “What do you mean?”
“I'm saying I'm going to start a trend where fans will like you just as much as L.Joe or Chunji.”
“Chincha? Is that even possible?”
“Don't worry, it’ll be easy.”

A few minutes of silence passed, and the two teenagers watched the world move around them.

Changjo felt that urge to kiss her again. He tightened his jaw, and sighed. Rachel noticed, and turned herself to face him. She took his hand, and smiled.
“What’s the matter Dancing Boy?” she asked, squeezing his hand lightly.
Changjo didn’t want to let her hand go, as if he was holding onto her for dear life.
“Why did you choose him?” Changjo asked back.
Rachel pretended to not know who he was talking about. “Who?”

“Don't lie to me, Rachel.” Changjo started to loosen his grip.

Rachel let his hand go, keeping shut.